PDA

View Full Version : An apology . . .

peewee's lovechild
11-24-2008, 12:17 PM
For Bill Belichick.

I trashed the guy for sticking with a QB that hadn't started a game since high school. I ridiculed him for being arrogant and not reaching out to veteran QBs, or at least trading for a veteran QB.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

Matt Cassel has been on a tear. He's had two back to back 400 yard games and he has stats eerily similar to Tom Brady's first 11 starts.

Bill Belichick and his offensive system have proven to be genius.

I'm am sincerely impressed.

Let's see how far they can get into the post season.

IronMexican
11-24-2008, 12:57 PM
I can officially say that it has more to do with Billichick than Brady. Of course, Matt Cassel is a Trojan, so I am not surprised.

monosylab1k
11-24-2008, 01:08 PM
I can officially say that it has more to do with Billichick than Brady.

I disagree partially. Does the system have something to do with it? Obviously yes. But Cassel's success so far does nothing to take away from what Brady accomplished. Nothing at all. Brady is still one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game.

Nobody discredits Joe Montana because of Steve Young's success. They're both beneficiaries of Bill Walsh's system, but they also were incredible QB's in their own right. Similarily, even if Cassel takes this team to the Super Bowl, none of it can be used to discredit what Brady has done. Cassel might just be that good.

Dr. Gonzo
11-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Wow. I actually agree with mono.

IronMexican
11-24-2008, 01:17 PM
I disagree partially. Does the system have something to do with it? Obviously yes. But Cassel's success so far does nothing to take away from what Brady accomplished. Nothing at all. Brady is still one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game.

Nobody discredits Joe Montana because of Steve Young's success. They're both beneficiaries of Bill Walsh's system, but they also were incredible QB's in their own right. Similarily, even if Cassel takes this team to the Super Bowl, none of it can be used to discredit what Brady has done. Cassel might just be that good.

Of course he is that good, what part of him being a Trojan don't you understand?

dirk4mvp
11-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Is there an answer to why Brady is so good despite going to Michigan?

IronMexican
11-24-2008, 01:21 PM
And besides, you gotta give Bill some major fucking credit for drafting a guy who never started a college game in his life. That took some major balls.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
11-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Is there an answer to why Brady is so good despite going to Michigan?

Despite?

monosylab1k
11-24-2008, 02:12 PM
And besides, you gotta give Bill some major fucking credit for drafting a guy who never started a college game in his life. That took some major balls.

That's why he's the greatest coach since Lombardi.

IronMexican
11-24-2008, 02:22 PM
That's why he's the greatest coach since Lombardi.

That would go under the "scout" category. And Billichick is a great scout, but not better than Parcells.

monosylab1k
11-24-2008, 02:24 PM
That would go under the "scout" category. And Billichick is a great scout, but not better than Parcells.

Name me all the success Bill Parcells has had without Belichick by his side. That would be none. Zero playoff wins.

Belichick > Parcells in every aspect of coaching, "scouting" included.

IronMexican
11-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Name me all the success Bill Parcells has had without Belichick by his side. That would be none. Zero playoff wins.

Belichick > Parcells in every aspect of coaching, "scouting" included.

1-15 to 6-5 is all I got to say.

bostonguy
11-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the props. I just wish the D wouldnt suck ass so much. The great offense is fun and cute but I WANT DEFENSE! It is what I am used to seeing with the Pats and it's the very first thing I think about with the Pats under Bellichick. The fact that the Pats are at least making the year interesting is more than I can ask for though.

monosylab1k
11-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the props. I just wish the D wouldnt suck ass so much. The great offense is fun and cute but I WANT DEFENSE! It is what I am used to seeing with the Pats and it's the very first thing I think about with the Pats under Bellichick. The fact that the Pats are at least making the year interesting is more than I can ask for though.

Just wait, next year our defense will be back in a big way. Jerod Mayo = Ray Lewis, Brandon Merriweather = Ed Reed. The young guys on defense all look good, they just need more experience. Next year the Pats D is going to be STOUT.

JamStone
11-25-2008, 01:36 AM
Of course he is that good, what part of him being a Trojan don't you understand?

Better quarterback: Matt Leinart or Matt Winer?

bostonguy
11-25-2008, 03:39 AM
Just wait, next year our defense will be back in a big way. Jerod Mayo = Ray Lewis, Brandon Merriweather = Ed Reed. The young guys on defense all look good, they just need more experience. Next year the Pats D is going to be STOUT.

Sucks he got hurt, but im glad I dont have to see Rodney Harrison anymore. That is true in terms of the youth plus we have the draft where Bellichick does great at finding steals. The question I have is what happens after this season? Obviously Tom Brady's spot is a lock here but what happens to Matt Cassell? Do we trade him? I dont even know what his contract status is for the future. I know the year isnt over but these questions are mindfucking the living shit out of me. :lmao:lmao

monosylab1k
11-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Sucks he got hurt, but im glad I dont have to see Rodney Harrison anymore. That is true in terms of the youth plus we have the draft where Bellichick does great at finding steals. The question I have is what happens after this season? Obviously Tom Brady's spot is a lock here but what happens to Matt Cassell? Do we trade him? I dont even know what his contract status is for the future. I know the year isnt over but these questions are mindfucking the living shit out of me. :lmao:lmao

Cassel is a free agent after this season, so they can't trade him right away. More than likely they will franchise him and keep him as security until they're sure Brady's knee is okay. If they think Brady is fine, they'll trade Matt (and get a 2nd round pick at least for him, if he takes them to the SB there's no reason they can't get a 1st rounder).

What's awesome is that Belichick is actually grooming Kevin O'Connell to be Brady's replacement, but didn't want to play him because he's a rookie. Bill thinks he'll be a way better QB than Cassel. So no matter what, we're set at QB.

Fabbs
11-25-2008, 09:42 AM
How did a Norvron Tunrner team beat a Belichick team 41-10 in Oct?!!!!!

IronMexican
11-25-2008, 11:02 AM
How did a Norvron Tunrner team beat a Belichick team 41-10 in Oct?!!!!!

Cause the Chargers have more talent?