PDA

View Full Version : Just heard manu playing tonight...

magui86770
11-24-2008, 01:36 PM
on espn 1250....

exstatic
11-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Wouldn't shock me. I'm not sure if there's any "recovery" left. He just needs to play. Start him slow, maybe 20 minutes per game, then work up.

stxspurs
11-24-2008, 01:43 PM
yup just got a text from ticket 760.....

CubanMustGo
11-24-2008, 01:48 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/11/jeff_mcdonald_m_20.html

November 24, 2008
Jeff McDonald: Manu will play tonight
MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Even Spurs coach Gregg Popovich agrees: Manu Ginobili is ready to play.

The Spurs guard, who missed the team's first 12 games while recovering from September ankle surgery, will make his season debut tonight at Memphis, Popovich confirmed after this morning's shootaround.

It was welcome news for Ginobili, who last week had targeted this very game for his return.

"It's great to hear," Ginobili said. "It's been enough time."

Late last week, Popovich seemed poised to deny Ginobili's request for playing time in Memphis, saying Ginobili would play "when he's ready." Ginobili participated in several 5-on-5 scrimmages last week, apparently showing enough to convince Popovich he was, indeed, ready.

It isn't clear how many minutes Ginobili might earn against the Grizzlies, buts it almost certainly won't be many. Though he and Popovich haven't discussed a plan, Ginobili said he will be surprised to play more than 10 or 12.

Every minute of game experience helps, he said.

"I'm going to be out of shape, a little slower," said Ginobili. "But those are things you only get from playing. I feel like it works better for me getting 10 minutes of playing time than (spending) 20 minutes on a treadmill."

One sign it could take Ginobili a while to fully regain his groove: He lost a post-practice game of H-O-R-S-E to Blake Ahearn this morning.

urunobili
11-24-2008, 01:48 PM
can hardly wait to c him on the #20 again! :toast

urunobili
11-24-2008, 01:50 PM
One sign it could take Ginobili a while to fully regain his groove: He lost a post-practice game of H-O-R-S-E to Blake Ahearn this morning.

wtf? :depressed

mytespurs
11-24-2008, 01:55 PM
That's great news however I hope that his return is gradual rather than rush him in......:toast

zepn
11-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Ahearn is a monster shooter.

Bender
11-24-2008, 01:57 PM
earlier when Pop in the interview said "I don't know when he'll play, he'll play when he's ready..."

timvp and others were right when they thought... CIA Pop... he'll probably play tonight.

Bender
11-24-2008, 02:00 PM
just noticed timvp already got his kudos in the McDonald thread...

oh well, double kudos to him.

Tully365
11-24-2008, 02:10 PM

:lol This means nothing. Ahearn is one of the best free throw shooters on the planet earth right now. He'd probably beat Lebron too, at long as he gets to shoot first.

jaffies
11-24-2008, 02:28 PM
halfcourt, off the 2005 banner, off I35, off Eva's ass, knocking down Avery's jersey, eyes closed, nothing but net!

tp2021
11-24-2008, 02:32 PM
halfcourt, off the 2005 banner, off I35, off Eva's ass, knocking down Avery's jersey, eyes closed, nothing but net!

I won't allow it. We can't afford to have Tony injured again when the ball aimed at Eva's ass hits him instead.

Spurs Brazil
11-24-2008, 02:33 PM

:bang:bang:bang

Trade Manu

:lol

It's great to have him back. Can't wait for tonight

polandprzem
11-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Here comes the hype

boutons_
11-24-2008, 02:40 PM
dammit, the season was "exciting" without Manu! :lol

tp2021
11-24-2008, 02:40 PM
dammit, the season was "exciting" without Manu! :lol

That's a paradox if I ever heard one.

tlongII
11-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Personally I'd rather they keep Ginobili out for a couple more weeks...

tlongII
11-24-2008, 02:45 PM
The player's health should come first in these situations.

BlackSwordsMan
11-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Only if you're oden

urunobili
11-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Personally I'd rather they keep Ginobili out for a couple more weeks...

he'll average 10 min for the next two weeks don;t be over protective...

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-24-2008, 02:55 PM
I don't care how good a shooter Ahearn is. Manu's got an arsenal of soccer trick shots that should make him a lock against any one except maybe Steve Nash in a game of H-O-R-S-E. Sit him until he can win that.

CubanMustGo
11-24-2008, 03:11 PM

Tlong could care less about his health, he wants the Spurs to miss the playoffs and the best chance of that is if Gino took another month off.

timvp
11-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Great to have Manu back. Although I probably would have held him out a little longer, if Manu has been cleared by all the doctors and has done all the training prescribed by Brungy, there's not much else to do other than play him.

That said, I think Manu needs to play about 10 to 15 minutes per game for about a week. And then bump up to about 20 to 25 minutes per game for the rest of the season. If Pop can keep Manu's minutes per game to around 24-25, that'd be great. The goal should be to keep Manu rested and healthy so he can peak in the playoffs. Manu at 100% in the playoffs would give the Spurs a good shot of making a run.

I seriously would rather the Spurs enter the playoffs as an 8th seed with a 100% Manu than as a first seed with whatever percent Manu was last year in the playoffs. Pop ran Manu into the ground last year during the regular season. No matter what, he can't do that this year. Keep Manu fresh, Pop.

Interrohater
11-24-2008, 03:14 PM
I don't care how good a shooter Ahearn is. Manu's got an arsenal of soccer trick shots that should make him a lock against any one except maybe Steve Nash in a game of H-O-R-S-E. Sit him until he can win that.
huh? Ahearn could prolly beat Duncan at HORSE too, I'm not sure if that child's game is such a good barometer of playing ability...

exstatic
11-24-2008, 03:20 PM

If they were only going to play him ten minutes for the next two weeks, they wouldn't activate him. Ten minutes per half is probably more like it. Playing your way into shape actually involves playing.

polandprzem
11-24-2008, 03:21 PM
I would held him longer too

Damn Pop

exstatic
11-24-2008, 03:22 PM
huh? Ahearn could prolly beat Duncan at HORSE too, I'm not sure if that child's game is such a good barometer of playing ability...

SFIE has a sense of humor much like the Sahara. You just got caught in a sand storm.

duncan228
11-24-2008, 03:26 PM
SFIE has a sense of humor much like the Sahara.

SFIE and Chopper are at the top of the lol-inducing posters list.

timvp
11-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Do you start Manu? Usually with ankle and knee injuries, it's best to start the player so that the joint doesn't tighten up while sitting on the bench waiting to get in.

Then again, having him guard Mayo, Conley or Gay right off the bat may be asking for trouble.

polandprzem
11-24-2008, 03:33 PM
For how long manu was playing 5-5?

A week time?

and it is still far away from game situations

If he will be back now - I do not get it

polandprzem
Well I do get it, but It;s not March or April

polandprzem
So I don;'t get it

:D

tp2021
11-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Do you start Manu? Usually with ankle and knee injuries, it's best to start the player so that the joint doesn't tighten up while sitting on the bench waiting to get in.

Then again, having him guard Mayo, Conley or Gay right off the bat may be asking for trouble.

We don't need him getting his ankles broke again.

duncan228
11-24-2008, 03:35 PM
:lol "and a twirl of cotton candy".

Manu Ginobili Will Play Tonight (http://slamonline.com/online/nba/2008/11/manu-ginobili-will-play-tonight/)
by Ryne Nelson

Yes, it’s true–the Spurs are getting their Manu back. The fact that the Spurs were able go 6-6 with only Tim Duncan, George Hill and a twirl of cotton candy speaks volumes about their potential to rebound as the team gets healthy.

Manu had long targeted tonight’s game against the Grizzlies to return from his offseason ankle surgery. He’s been in full-contact scrimmages for the past week. From Jeff McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/11/jeff_mcdonald_m_20.html):

Even Spurs coach Gregg Popovich agrees: Manu Ginobili is ready to play.

The Spurs guard, who missed the team’s first 12 games while recovering from September ankle surgery, will make his season debut tonight at Memphis, Popovich confirmed after this morning’s shootaround.

The southpaw Argentinean must have shown dramatic improvement over the past week. As McDonald writes, Popovich all but denied Ginobili’s request to play as recent as last week.

Manu’s not going to play significant minutes, but if Popovich signs off on letting his star play, all must be safe. And with Tony Parker returning in the first week of December, the Spurs are back in the conversation.

Killakobe81
11-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Great news for Spur fans and NBA fans i thought this would be close and it maybe still but my guess is Spurs win by 8 ...

MoSpur
11-24-2008, 03:42 PM
I liked the idea of knocking down Avery's #6 jersey off the rafters in that horse game.

Southwest Texas Fan
11-24-2008, 03:44 PM
:downspin::downspin::downspin:

SanAntonioSpurs23
11-24-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm glad that manu is going to see some playing time tonight, every minute will help him get back into "game shape"

ploto
11-24-2008, 03:48 PM
I hope so much that I am wrong, but I can not shake the feeling that this has disaster written all over it.

xtremesteven33
11-24-2008, 03:57 PM
10 minutes a half will do just fine

Dex
11-24-2008, 03:58 PM
According to Ginobili, the December prediction was being incredibly cautious. The actual time table he was presented by doctors had him scheduled to come back this week.

Pop wouldn't let Manu play in November if he wasn't ready to do so. We can be about as sure of that as any fans in the league.

G-Nob
11-24-2008, 03:59 PM
This is great news. Now we'll start looking like a team again if Tony can heal up and Bruce can get his head out of his ass.

tp2021
11-24-2008, 04:00 PM
This is great news. Now we'll start looking like a team again if Tony can heal up and KT, Oberto, and Ime can get their heads out of their asses.

FIFY

tonylongoriafan
11-24-2008, 04:03 PM
yup just got a text from ticket 760.....

i got the same text...i hate when they text stupid shit like when the spurs lose...like i don't fucking already know that! seriously? i'm already pissed enough? wtf?

timvp
11-24-2008, 04:11 PM
I hope so much that I am wrong:lmao

I. Hustle
11-24-2008, 04:19 PM
So where's the vbookie action on Manu's numbers for tonight?

lefty
11-24-2008, 04:21 PM
I hope they know what they are doing

FromWayDowntown
11-24-2008, 04:21 PM
My sense is that Manu isn't going to struggle with stiffness or that his return is going to put him at any greater risk of injuring his ankle than other players who are playing basketball face. The surgery was intended to eliminate a cause of his constant ankle problems and the recovery period was to allow the effects of the surgery to run its course. Pop's own mindset concerning the return of a player from injury seems to encompass the collateral concerns of starting and stopping and trying to get over fears of playing on a surgically-repaired structure. From that, I think the chances are slim that Manu is being rushed back and I think that the chances are small that Manu will face the sorts of concerns that a player with a sprained ankle would face. If anything, Manu's ankle should be about as sound as it's ever been during his tenure with the Spurs.

exstatic
11-24-2008, 04:24 PM
My sense is that Manu isn't going to struggle with stiffness or that his return is going to put him at any greater risk of injuring his ankle than other players who are playing basketball face. The surgery was intended to eliminate a cause of his constant ankle problems and the recovery period was to allow the effects of the surgery to run its course. Pop's own mindset concerning the return of a player from injury seems to encompass the collateral concerns of starting and stopping and trying to get over fears of playing on a surgically-repaired structure. From that, I think the chances are slim that Manu is being rushed back and I think that the chances are small that Manu will face the sorts of concerns that a player with a sprained ankle would face. If anything, Manu's ankle should be about as sound as it's ever been during his tenure with the Spurs.

+1 Pop is SUCH a mother hen. If the medical staff cleared him ( a minor hurdle) and Pop cleared him ( a MAJOR hurdle), then he's ready.

tp2021
11-24-2008, 04:26 PM
+1 Pop is SUCH a mother hen. If the medical staff cleared him ( a minor hurdle) and Pop cleared him ( a MAJOR hurdle), then he's ready.
He has the most badass beard I've ever seen on a mother hen.
On a mother-anything.

Manufan909
11-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Hope Manu can go off from 3 tonight, cuz I don't want to see any layups in traffic. Having watched Ginobili for years, I know he'll try something. Maybe he can wake Oberto up.

Maybe Oberto can come off the bench with Manu, and Bonner start at C?

manufor3
11-24-2008, 04:38 PM
If they were only going to play him ten minutes for the next two weeks, they wouldn't activate him. Ten minutes per half is probably more like it. Playing your way into shape actually involves playing.

he is gonna play a little more at a time

timaios
11-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Finally some good news !
I want to watch the real Spurs team again.
Enjoy your return in the league Manu. :toast

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-24-2008, 04:43 PM
What I'm even more interested to see is how the rest of the guys who have been playing big will do as they work Manu back in to the rotation. If Manu can come back and become Superman-u again while Mason and Finley find a way to keep up their intensity and effort in smaller roles our swing man rotation is going to be looking very good. I tend to think a season vet like Findog can manage that, but I'm curious to see about a younger guy like Mason who has only a few months as a Spur under his belt.

Manufan909
11-24-2008, 04:51 PM
What I'm even more interested to see is how the rest of the guys who have been playing big will do as they work Manu back in to the rotation. If Manu can come back and become Superman-u again while Mason and Finley find a way to keep up their intensity and effort in smaller roles our swing man rotation is going to be looking very good. I tend to think a season vet like Findog can manage that, but I'm curious to see about a younger guy like Mason who has only a few months as a Spur under his belt.

I think Mason will keep a majority of his minutes(27-30), Fin will move to SF 100%, and Ime will be the new 13th man. Or Mason could split PG with Hill like last game, and keep his minutes. I hope Manu gets at least 15 minutes, but no more than 20, especially in his first game back.

TMTTRIO
11-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Can someone tell me what Manu said on his site this afternoon on his site.

http://i38.tinypic.com/sfi4v7.jpg

PeterBurns
11-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Can someone tell me what Manu said on his site this afternoon on his site.

http://i38.tinypic.com/sfi4v7.jpg

My Ankle Feels Better. Mason Taking My Minutes, and My Money.
Agent getting Worried. Going to Rush Back. Keeping Fingers Crossed

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-24-2008, 05:05 PM
My spanish is rusty as fuck but let me try:
It seems that I convinced them I am close to healed from the surgery from 11 3/7 weeks ago.

Don't say, "Manu, (completely unsure what the hell that means)" or anything like that. I don't believe it at all.

What is the reason? I wish I knew.

Peace out, my ninjas!

Manufan909
11-24-2008, 05:08 PM
My spanish is rusty as fuck but let me try:
It seems that I convinced them I am close to healed from the surgery from 11 3/7 weeks ago.

Don't say, "Manu, (completely unsure what the hell that means)" or anything like that. I don't believe it at all.

What is the reason? I wish I knew.

Peace out, my ninjas!

I'll go with PBs translation.:lmao

igruex
11-24-2008, 05:10 PM
It looks like I convinced him (refering to Pop) or I'm close to.. so the count would stop at 11 plus weeks (He's refering to how many weeks have passed since the surgery).

Anyway until he says something like "Get ready Manu" or so I don't take it for granted.

Did you want the scoop? I do hope it is...

barbacoataco
11-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Agree that Udoka will be the odd man out as Ginobili returns. He has been lame so far this year on both ends of the court. If his defense isn't better than Mason, Finley and Hill, what is the point of playing him? He can't finish even when the basket is right in front of him, and his 3pt shooting is too inconsistent, not to mention his turnover problems. The best thing is that Udoka, I believe, is in his last year of contract and not making that much money.

timvp
11-24-2008, 05:12 PM
It looks like I convinced him (refering to Pop) or I'm close to.. so the count would stop at 11 plus weeks (He's refering to how many weeks have passed since the surgery).

Anyway until he says something like "Get ready Manu" or so I don't take it for granted.

Did you want the scoop? I do hope it is...
Thanks for the translation and welcome to the forum :tu

angelbelow
11-24-2008, 05:30 PM
this is a good feeling.

MrChug
11-24-2008, 05:35 PM
I think anyone who wants Manu back this early is crazy and kinda selfish. If it's the wrong decision, I'm gonna shit.

I just hope he knows what he's doing and it's not his planet-sized juevos saying he's healthy.

tomtom
11-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Woohoo Mannnnuuuuuuuuuuu

HarlemHeat37
11-24-2008, 07:05 PM
there's nothing wrong with Manu playing 10-15 minutes a game the next week or 2..he has to get in a rhythm and if he's cleared to play, we shouldn't worry..

this won't be the same as last year, where Manu had to play a much bigger role..we're a deeper team this year, Duncan looks better this year, Finley is rejuvenated..Manu isn't gonna have to score 45 points in games to win like last year..

Obstructed_View
11-24-2008, 07:15 PM
I think anyone who wants Manu back this early is crazy and kinda selfish. If it's the wrong decision, I'm gonna shit.

I just hope he knows what he's doing and it's not his planet-sized juevos saying he's healthy.

How exactly is he going to be more healed? He's right on the schedule that the doctors gave him. I'm sure they built some fudge time into the estimate. Pop's probably going to let him play just to protect the guys who have to practice against him.