PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Jones

TILDEN
11-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Is jerry jones keeping san antonio from getting a n f l team

PeterBurns
11-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Yes....Now please post this again in the rightful place.
NFL Forum

exstatic
11-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Well, at least an NFC franchise. I don't think he'd care about an AFC team locating here, because he could still beam his Cow-crack into the faithful every Sunday.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
11-24-2008, 08:41 PM
please dont take my Saints!

Obstructed_View
11-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Do a search in the NFL forum. This has been discussed to death.

Juice
11-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Jerry Jones is keeping me down!

BlackSwordsMan
11-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Nfl?

PeterBurns
11-24-2008, 09:21 PM
I find this to be a racist post

Obstructed_View
11-24-2008, 09:24 PM
I find this to be a racist post

Somebody say "black hole"?

PeterBurns
11-24-2008, 09:38 PM
I just find it easier to say something is racist, than actually make a good well thought post. Normally the thread grows from there.

Obstructed_View
11-24-2008, 09:50 PM
There's a controversy in Dallas because someone in the city council said "black hole" and someone else said it was racist and demanded an apology.

tonylongoriafan
11-24-2008, 09:56 PM
probably yes but san antonio is probably more responsible for a not getting a team

spursfan09
11-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Is jerry jones keeping san antonio from getting a n f l team

you think he wants to lose the san antonio market?

Obstructed_View
11-25-2008, 01:18 AM
you think he wants to lose the san antonio market?

How does the San Antonio market help him? There are a thousand other cities that would love to host training camp, and that's about all the extra revenue the city generates for him.

T Park
11-25-2008, 01:25 AM
I just find it easier to say something is racist, than actually make a good well thought post. Normally the thread grows from there.

lazy bastard.

T Park
11-25-2008, 01:26 AM
How does the San Antonio market help him? There are a thousand other cities that would love to host training camp, and that's about all the extra revenue the city generates for him.

Viewership, merchandise sales. Stuff like that.

Obstructed_View
11-25-2008, 01:36 AM
Viewership, merchandise sales. Stuff like that.

He'd make the same money off both of those things if San Antonio had their own team. They share revenue and split the TV contract money. A couple of us have done some research in the other threads, and it looks like preseason ticket sales at the Alamodome and training camp are the only things that go directly to the Cowboys without being divided IINM.

spursfan09
11-25-2008, 11:13 AM

how about the fans from SA who buy cowboy gear? how about the fans from here who buy season tickets and go watch the cowboys in Dallas. San Antonio is a huge market and he knows it. I wasn't thinking anything about the training camps when I typed that.

If SA ever got a team you'd think he'd be happy for us? I don't know if he could really keep us from getting a team, but I'm sure his opposing voice would be listened to by the NFL.

I also blame the city to, because we are just not ready for a team.

Dr. Gonzo
11-25-2008, 11:43 AM
lazy bastard.

That is a racist post.

Blake
11-25-2008, 12:01 PM
truthfully, two things are keeping the NFL from coming to SA:

1. small TV market
2. almost all of the TVs in our small market are already turned on to the NFL.

almost 80% of the NFL revenue comes from TV. That's why they are chomping at the bit to stick a team in LA.

5 things that would happen if JJ owned the Spurs:

1) we would get sick of seeing him come down from his suite to the middle of the huddle with a few minutes left in the game

2) Pop would have quit years ago and we would probably have a lame duck coach like Bob Weiss instead.

3) We would basically have the Knicks as JJ would be making splash after splash of gangstas with potential

4) They would start an HBO special just for the Spurs called Hard Fouls where we would see such things as Bob Weiss crying after having to cut a player

5) we would have the Final Four here every year

easy7
11-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Jerry Jones put Mike Taylor on the ticket and you have been drinking his Kool Aid ever since.

Fingaroll44
11-25-2008, 02:56 PM
probably yes but san antonio is probably more responsible for a not getting a team

bingo. that includes the resident san antonio cowboy fans. they seem to have more love for another city's team than that city's fanbase has love for its OWN team.

byrdman31
11-25-2008, 03:01 PM
5) we would have the Final Four here every year

:hat that be awesome..

spursfan09
11-25-2008, 04:56 PM
bingo. that includes the resident san antonio cowboy fans. they seem to have more love for another city's team than that city's fanbase has love for its OWN team.

well said. Would SA fans even switch teams or still cheer for Cowboys?

tonylongoriafan
11-25-2008, 05:04 PM

guilty as charged! GO COWBOYS!

Obstructed_View
11-25-2008, 05:23 PM
how about the fans from SA who buy cowboy gear? how about the fans from here who buy season tickets and go watch the cowboys in Dallas. San Antonio is a huge market and he knows it. I wasn't thinking anything about the training camps when I typed that.

If SA ever got a team you'd think he'd be happy for us? I don't know if he could really keep us from getting a team, but I'm sure his opposing voice would be listened to by the NFL.

I also blame the city to, because we are just not ready for a team.

Merchandise revenue is divided among all the teams. If San Antonio got a team, they'd probably sell more San Antonio Widgets gear than they sell Cowboys gear and Jerry Jones would make more money. Jerry Jones gets 60 percent of the gate on all home Cowboys games, which are almost always sold out anyway, and people from San Antonio aren't exactly taking up seats that would otherwise go unsold. Unless they're buying a shitload of luxury suites, they don't factor in either.

If San Antonio got a team Jerry Jones would be happy if it means more money for the Cowboys, and he'd be happy for Jerry. There's a case to be made that a team in SA would be financially beneficial to him, so there's no reason for him, or any other NFL owner, to oppose it. Beyond that I'm quite sure the city rarely enters into his thought process. Those people that think he's expending any effort to prevent them from having a team think far too highly of themselves.

Five of the top ten most populous cities in Texas are in the DFW area. San Antonio means slightly less to Jerry Jones than Mesquite or Carrolton.

spursfan09
11-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Merchandise revenue is divided among all the teams. If San Antonio got a team, they'd probably sell more San Antonio Widgets gear than they sell Cowboys gear and Jerry Jones would make more money. Jerry Jones gets 60 percent of the gate on all home Cowboys games, which are almost always sold out anyway, and people from San Antonio aren't exactly taking up seats that would otherwise go unsold. Unless they're buying a shitload of luxury suites, they don't factor in either.

If San Antonio got a team Jerry Jones would be happy if it means more money for the Cowboys, and he'd be happy for Jerry. There's a case to be made that a team in SA would be financially beneficial to him, so there's no reason for him, or any other NFL owner, to oppose it. Beyond that I'm quite sure the city rarely enters into his thought process. Those people that think he's expending any effort to prevent them from having a team think far too highly of themselves.

Five of the top ten most populous cities in Texas are in the DFW area. San Antonio means slightly less to Jerry Jones than Mesquite or Carrolton.

Ok. I see what you are saying. But without sounding like I am thinking too highly of myself; I still don't think he would like it if SA got a team.

However I never knew that merchandise sales were divided among the teams. Does the same go for the NBA?

Blake
11-26-2008, 11:41 AM
There's a case to be made that a team in SA would be financially beneficial to him, so there's no reason for him, or any other NFL owner, to oppose it.

there's no reason to oppose it unless the other owners feel that they can get another owner to operate out of LA.

All of the owners would love nothing more than to get a piece of that LA market, yet none of them want to be the ones to go there since LA is such an apathetic football town in regards to getting stadiums built.

Obstructed_View
11-29-2008, 04:46 AM
Ok. I see what you are saying. But without sounding like I am thinking too highly of myself; I still don't think he would like it if SA got a team.

However I never knew that merchandise sales were divided among the teams. Does the same go for the NBA?

I don't know how the NBA does it.

I did a little looking around and found some evidence that teams can set up partnerships to sell "officially licensed" team gear and don't have to share the revenue. Jerry had a setup like that with JC Penney some years back. I'm not sure if it's the revenue from the gear sales or just the partnership, but he's always going to find ways to get his own team a competitive advantage if he can. If San Antonio were a huge revenue source for him, it wouldn't be surprising to find that he's blocking their getting a new team for his own reasons, but typically cities that are ready get a serious look, and San Antonio, as much as I love it, isn't ready yet.

rayray2k8
11-29-2008, 04:50 AM
Why isnt this in the NFL forum?

Obstructed_View
11-29-2008, 05:35 AM
Why isnt this in the NFL forum?

Good question.