PDA

View Full Version : Ian Mahinmi!!!!!!!!!!

SequSpur
11-24-2008, 11:02 PM
The Spurs need you! Are you the final piece of the puzzle???? I am calling you out! Get your ass in shape and take over the paint! I am so sick of watching Oberto, Bonner and Thomas get used by players like Kaman.

Duncan needs a big next to him! Are you the guy? Are you the savior? You got a few weeks left. Get your ass in gear and show your stuff or gtfo.

Spurs need a big!!!! Damn this team is so close to perfection... Get a got damn big already Popovich! A damn 7 footer who can REBOUND!!!!

:pctoss

ducks
11-24-2008, 11:03 PM
short people have no right to call him out

T Park
11-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Drink a cup of coffee and sleep it off.

xtremesteven33
11-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Ur right. (I cant believe i said that.)

this team would be fully loaded with a Shot blocking/rebounding big to accompany duncan......

Spur-Addict
11-24-2008, 11:05 PM
I couldn't agree more, he's seriously needed. If he pans out there will be trouble on the horizon for the rest of the league.

If he doesn't, then we need to do something about it in an attempt to fill the void.

Capt Bringdown
11-24-2008, 11:06 PM
this team would be fully loaded with a Shot blocking/rebounding big to accompany duncan......

Ohh Admiral...

benefactor
11-24-2008, 11:06 PM
I believe less and less in Ian every day. Call it a gut feeling but I don't think anything will come out of him this year. Once everyone gets healthy we need to waive Ahearn and use his spot on a big. Not sure who that will be though...

Tully365
11-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Ur right. (I cant believe i said that.)

:lmao:lmao:rollin

SequSpur
11-24-2008, 11:07 PM
If Ian can play, now is the time to throw his ass in there. I mean come on!

tomtom
11-24-2008, 11:08 PM
If he can consistently grab 8 rebounds a game, I say we'll be in damn good shape. Hows his shot blocking been in D league?

SequSpur
11-24-2008, 11:11 PM
If he can consistently grab 8 rebounds a game, I say we'll be in damn good shape. Hows his shot blocking been in D league?

Dude is a beast. hill has proven that the NBA is easier than summer leagues.. shit.. summer league players are trying to stay away from top ramen.. shit.. nba games everyone is full.....

i want to see hill vs. the elite.

Manufan909
11-24-2008, 11:14 PM
Has he played another Toro game yet?

xtremesteven33
11-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Ian doesnt need to worry about low post scoring as much. Just hustle his butt off and get the rebounds.

I would tell him to watch tapes of Dennis Rodman back in the day how he would fight for position and the tactics he would use to time to grab rebounds. Shot blocking on the weakside will also be a big plus.

m33p0
11-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Pop sure is taking his time with Ian. dammit.

SequSpur
11-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Ian doesnt need to worry about low post scoring as much. Just hustle his butt off and get the rebounds.

I would tell him to watch tapes of Dennis Rodman back in the day how he would fight for position and the tactics he would use to time to grab rebounds. Shot blocking on the weakside will also be a big plus.

Exactly.. it's all about filling up the lane.. This will be huge against the Lakers and Celtics. The rest of the NBA can blow me, but they will HAVE to get a big to beat these two teams.

T Park
11-24-2008, 11:20 PM
If Ian can play, now is the time to throw his ass in there. I mean come on!

Hes still icing his ankles heavily after little minutes played.

Hes not comin back for a couple or three weeks at best.

duncan228
11-24-2008, 11:20 PM

ChumpDumper was at the Toros game the other night and he didn't think Ian looked ready yet.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109289

T Park
11-24-2008, 11:24 PM

Would it be better to rush him back, rehurt it and lose him for a longer amount of time?

Yeah that would be great.

m33p0
11-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Would it be better to rush him back, rehurt it and lose him for a longer amount of time?

Yeah that would be great.
what kind of an ankle sprain was it? did he break his leg in 2 places? he got injured way before tony.

but yeah, it would be rushing it. and he seems fragile to me.

ulosturedge
11-24-2008, 11:26 PM
I don't really have high expectations for Ian, but there are no other options atm. Lets hope he can atleast warrant being on the floor for any substantial amount of time.

SequSpur
11-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Seriously, the Spurs just need to throw him out there in a few weeks... Big Guy, 6 Fouls, NBA game.. big fuckin deal...

Rasho couldn't play in the summer league either, but he served a purpose... I don't know what it is about Oberto, but he runs around to much doing other shit, the Spurs need a big to stick to the basics...

Get in the way, block a few shots and fucking rebound!

T Park
11-24-2008, 11:29 PM
what kind of an ankle sprain was it? did he break his leg in 2 places? he got injured way before tony.

but yeah, it would be rushing it. and he seems fragile to me.

One to where he was on crutches I believe.

T Park
11-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Seriously, the Spurs just need to throw him out there in a few weeks... Big Guy, 6 Fouls, NBA game.. big fuckin deal...

Rasho couldn't play in the summer league either, but he served a purpose... I don't know what it is about Oberto, but he runs around to much doing other shit, the Spurs need a big to stick to the basics...

Get in the way, block a few shots and fucking rebound!

Yeah getting assists, making good picks, setting up guys for easy baskets.

Just such a horrible big... :rolleyes

SequSpur
11-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Yeah getting assists, making good picks, setting up guys for easy baskets.

Just such a horrible big... :rolleyes

4 to 1 Lakers.

Scoreboard.

Smb

T Park
11-24-2008, 11:32 PM
4 to 1 Lakers.

Scoreboard.

Smb

:lol

What about when he was the MVP of the Western Finals against Utah?

Helped clinch the championship in game 4 vs Cleveland?

You missed those things playing putt putt at the local bowling alley I'm sure.

SequSpur
11-24-2008, 11:34 PM

What about when he was the MVP of the Western Finals against Utah?

Helped clinch the championship in game 4 vs Cleveland?

You missed those things playing putt putt at the local bowling alley I'm sure.

Lakers 4 to 1. Scoreboard.

WTF? You can't hear?

Aggie Hoopsfan
short people have no right to call him out

:lmao

ChumpDumper
Has he played another Toro game yet?Their regular season starts Friday. They'll have five home games in eight days, so we'll have a really good idea where he's at soon.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Lakers 4 to 1. Scoreboard.

WTF? You can't hear?

You'll have to forgive Tpark, he is the press secretary for the front office...

T Park
11-24-2008, 11:37 PM
You'll have to forgive Tpark, he is the press secretary for the front office...

?

Yeah hows that hating on the front office after this past summer look sunshine?

mystargtr34
11-24-2008, 11:38 PM
ducks calm your friend down.

xellos88330
11-25-2008, 03:09 AM
It could be taking him longer to recover, especially if he really did gain that much weight that quickly. Maybe his body is taking longer to heal because of the increased pressure.

ChumpDumper
11-25-2008, 04:33 AM
He didn't look like he gained much weight.

polandprzem
11-25-2008, 04:35 AM
He didn't look like he gained much weight.

Is it good or bad for him?

ChumpDumper
11-25-2008, 04:44 AM
I'm pretty neutral about the weight. He just turned 22 -- I'm sure he could gain more in the coming years, but he doesn't seem to have a frame that will allow him to be super huge.

polandprzem
11-25-2008, 04:48 AM
I'd rather want him faster then bigger.

But all in all he plays in the low post. Damn I haven't seen him play yet, and I do not know what he likes to do.
More strenghts would not hurt but more weight? ... That's why I'm asking.

ChumpDumper
11-25-2008, 05:06 AM
Right, I think his main issue in that department would be his chicken legs. I'd be satisfied if they were as developed as his upper body. I just don't know if there is much he can do about it.

johngateswhiteley
11-25-2008, 06:27 AM
Right, I think his main issue in that department would be his chicken legs. I'd be satisfied if they were as developed as his upper body. I just don't know if there is much he can do about it.

geez.

polandprzem
11-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Damn Nazr had chicken legs

and hands ...

TDMVPDPOY
11-25-2008, 07:37 AM
he should get on the soul food diet....

tp2021
11-25-2008, 04:24 PM
bump

This is the player I finally want to see in action with the big club.

dbestpro
11-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Yes, a productive Mahinmi could put us over the top. Keep in mind Ian is 6 months younger than Hill. Sometimes it takes time.

yavozerb
11-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Do not expect much from this guy this year..From the games I saw last year with the toro's and the the summer league he is nowhere near a 10+ minute big man in the NBA.

Fingaroll44
11-25-2008, 04:49 PM
what kind of an ankle sprain was it? did he break his leg in 2 places?
:lol my thoughts exactly, he hurt it just as training camp was starting and that was almost 2 months ago.

silk
11-25-2008, 04:58 PM
Do not expect much from this guy this year..From the games I saw last year with the toro's and the the summer league he is nowhere near a 10+ minute big man in the NBA.

If our judgements were grounded upon summers leagues games, george hill , roger mason, and even antony tolliver ( beside his shooting he was not that great) would not have been evaluated properly

yavozerb
11-25-2008, 05:00 PM
If our judgements were grounded upon summers leagues games, george hill , roger mason, and even antony tolliver ( beside his shooting he was not that great) would not have been evaluated properly

That can be true, but what other games do you have to go off of other than those games for Ian?? At least hill had a productive and very successful college career!!Ian has no previous success to indicate he will truly succeed.

Bruno
11-25-2008, 05:03 PM
That can be true, but what other games do you have to go off of other than those games for Ian?? At least hill had a productive and very successful college career!!Ian has no previous success to indicate he will truly succeed.

False.
Mahinmi has do a lot of good things in France (outside his last year there) and in D-League.

Manufan909
11-25-2008, 05:04 PM

What about his production during the Toros season and the D-Leaugue PO's(both just last season)? Looks like he has more than a decent chance of succeeding with the big boys to me.

yavozerb
11-25-2008, 05:05 PM
He did well in a league (D-league) that had very few big men...What exactly did he do in france?

Bruno
11-25-2008, 05:10 PM
What exactly did he do in france?

Knowing a player's career before talking of it would be a good idea...

yavozerb
11-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Knowing a player's career before talking of it would be a good idea...

I probably would have heard about it if there was anything to hear!!averaging something like 4 pts and 3 boards does not impress me, sorry..

silk
11-25-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure, but in france, some months before mahinmi got drafted there was a buzz about "a new shaq (french journalists^^)", a dude who began basketball just recently, playin' voleyball before... I never got to know if that dude was mahinmi, but i like to think that way, still today, it just gives an additionnal layer on mahinmi the savior and an incredible flair for the spurs to catch him

Bruno
11-25-2008, 05:15 PM
I probably would have heard about it if there was anything to hear!!averaging something like 4 pts and 3 boards does not impress me, sorry..

Don't be sorry for talking about a player you don't know at all.

Manufan909
11-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Don't be sorry for talking about a player you don't know at all.

What were his French averages then?

yavozerb
11-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Please enlighten us all with his stellar french career please...I am not trying to be a smart ass bruno, but, to think Ian will come into this year and play big minutes is dumb. The guy does need PT, but it will not be enough to make or break the spurs chances this year..

Bruno
11-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Please enlighten us all with his stellar french career please...I am not trying to be a smart ass bruno, but, to think Ian will come into this year and play big minutes is dumb. The guy does need PT, but it will not be enough to make or break the spurs chances this year..

There are a lot of reasons to be optimistic about Mahinmi. It's not like he has done nothing.

In 04-05, he averaged 6/4 in french league and he was only 18 years old.
In 05-06, he averaged 10/6, was elected best young player in France.
In 06-07, he had an awful year.
In 07-08, he had a very good year in D-League.

Now you can look at the dark side (only 10/6, D-League sucks...)...

Spurs FO expect that Mahinmi contribute this year. Saying that Mahinmi will get playing time with Spurs this year isn't wishful thinking.

Manufan909
11-25-2008, 05:31 PM
There are a lot of reasons to be optimistic about Mahinmi. It's not like he has done nothing.

Spurs FO expect that Mahinmi contribute this year. Saying that Mahinmi will get playing time with Spurs this year isn't wishful thinking.

Especialy with studs like Fab and KT in the rotation. Bonner is actually earning his minutes, Fab and KT are only playing because there is a lack of talent beyond Timmy at the 4 and 5.

yavozerb
11-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Thanks Bruno for the info..To see Ian succeed would be great cause he seems like a good guy. We can sit,wait, and hope.

tav1
11-25-2008, 05:39 PM

Bruno, Pop and Buford are not the only ones who think Mahinmi will be good. Last year, SI quoted an Eastern conference executive as saying Mahinmi would be an All-Star.

Bruno
11-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Bruno, Pop and Buford are not the only ones who think Mahinmi will be good. Last year, SI quoted an Eastern conference executive as saying Mahinmi would be an All-Star.

Yep, I remembered that.
I don't have some crazy expectations about him. He is still a young and raw player but he should be able to help Spurs this year. What he has for him is that there is a huge niche available on Spurs roster as quick and athletic big.

BTW, McDonald mailbag, one week ago : "What I do know is that the Spurs expect Mahinmi to be able to help them on the NBA level this season.".

Manufan909
11-25-2008, 05:48 PM
I wonder which big will get the axe? Besides tolliver, of course. Fab is the better passer, but KT has better D and O. Compared to Fab that isn't saying much, they're both invisible on offense.

lrrr
11-25-2008, 05:49 PM
The FO has invested so much into Ian's development, more than any young player (not immediately ready to contribute). he's got to be the first euro player they didn't just stash in euroleague. this would signal to me that they are very high on his potential to eventually help the team.

timvp
11-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Mahinmi's in a good position to succeed. He has learned the offensive and defensive schemes in Austin, so he won't be as clueless as your typical new big. Plus his skillset is almost exactly what this team lacks right now. If he can block a few shots, rebound and finish around the rim, that be enough to earn him consistent playing time.

Hopefully he can get healthy in Austin over the next few weeks and then show what he can do with the Spurs. There's still a loooooooong ways to go in the season so even if he needs another month of rehab, he'll still have plenty of time to win a spot in the rotation.

I. Hustle
11-25-2008, 06:10 PM
We don't need dude to score. If our big three play well and our new guys (RMJR and Hill) keep going the way they are then we just need a big as a physical presence. If he gets close to 10 points a game then awesome but I am more interested in how he defends and blocks shots. If he comes out the gates and is throwing stuff into the 5th or 6th row then I will be happy.

As it stands right now we are looking better and better and I think people are starting to take notice. For us to be above .500 and not be complete is a scary thing. I don't see any other team that would be able to do that. Take Kobe or or or well I guess just Kobe out of LA and they wouldn't be doing as well. Take any two man combination out of Boston's big three and they might do ok but I doubt they would have enough to be .500.

Bottom line is things are starting to look up for us and we still have a LONG way to go.
Without Ian we are fine. If he does well then awesome but I think we are putting ourselves in a position where we don't need to depend on a "savior"

silk
11-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Lately, mahinmi struck me more with his offense than with his defense, but his late games do not say much

I'm not sur that kobe without lamar and pau wouldn't be able to have the lakers above 0.500

And i'm not that sure that mahinmi will be able to earn playin' time that easily, Kurt thomas is a notorious slow starter, and he's starting slowly but surely to get in shape

I long and , weirdly, i fear for thomas to be an obstacle on mahinmi path toward spurs glowing lights

Maybe oberto is the most likely to slip in the rotation if mahinmi gets in

SequSpur
11-26-2008, 12:50 AM
Good Discussion...

Tully365
11-26-2008, 01:21 AM
One important thing to keep in mind-- as poster dbestpro pointed out in another thread: Mahinmi is younger than even George Hill.

mystargtr34
11-26-2008, 01:22 AM
lol

mathbzh
11-26-2008, 02:33 AM
I'm not sure, but in france, some months before mahinmi got drafted there was a buzz about "a new shaq (french journalists^^)", a dude who began basketball just recently, playin' voleyball before... I never got to know if that dude was mahinmi, but i like to think that way, still today, it just gives an additionnal layer on mahinmi the savior and an incredible flair for the spurs to catch him

It was Sidiki Sidibe, not Mahinmi (I think the confusion about Mahinmi being a former volleyball player comes from here).
Sidiki is supposed to be a freak, a 7'1 270 lbs center and an insane leaper for his stature, he is also supposed to have a great coordination. He signed a contract for the Real Madrid a few years ago and played in their development team. His problem is that he started basketball really late (19 yo) and may never reach the skill level needed to play in a competitive league.

There is no news about him. I think he was injured last year.

barbacoataco
11-26-2008, 02:37 AM
If Mahinmi is good the Spurs will have the one real hole in this roster filled. In theory, he could defend the Amare, Dirk, West, Gasol, type players the Spurs are going to face. If Mahinmi isn't any good, who will the Spurs use to defend those players? Bonner? Actually he's been good lately, so who knows. If Mahinmi plays the IR's will be tolliver, Ahearn and Udoka/Vaughn?

xellos88330
11-26-2008, 04:46 AM
Mahinmi's in a good position to succeed. He has learned the offensive and defensive schemes in Austin, so he won't be as clueless as your typical new big. Plus his skillset is almost exactly what this team lacks right now. If he can block a few shots, rebound and finish around the rim, that be enough to earn him consistent playing time.

Hopefully he can get healthy in Austin over the next few weeks and then show what he can do with the Spurs. There's still a loooooooong ways to go in the season so even if he needs another month of rehab, he'll still have plenty of time to win a spot in the rotation.

This is why I have high hopes for him being in the regular rotation with the Spurs.

11-26-2008, 05:00 AM
If Mahinmi is good the Spurs will have the one real hole in this roster filled. In theory, he could defend the Amare, Dirk, West, Gasol, type players the Spurs are going to face. If Mahinmi isn't any good, who will the Spurs use to defend those players? Bonner? Actually he's been good lately, so who knows. If Mahinmi plays the IR's will be tolliver, Ahearn and Udoka/Vaughn?

i don't expect mahinmi to defend against the west's elite power forwards when he can't even stay out of foul trouble in the d-league. mahinmi is still a work in progress and i will be pleasantly surprised if he ever gets minutes in the playoffs.

holcs50
11-26-2008, 05:06 AM
the exciting thing is were already way better than last year-with mason seriously coming out as a badass and ghill just being amazing for a rookie from iupui, lol. I think ian is athletic enough to help no matter what.....now how much he'll help i have no idea and we all have to wait and see-but im already excited about this team.....I want lakers vs spurs with both teams completely healthy-we all do , lets hope

JPB
11-26-2008, 05:11 AM

People were saying the same about Hill just one month ago.

holcs50
11-26-2008, 05:19 AM
People were saying the same about Hill just one month ago.

LMAO-good call, i know i was-i guess point is u never know-i just cant believe how good ghill and mase are

mrspurs
11-26-2008, 05:41 AM
ChumpDumper was at the Toros game the other night and he didn't think Ian looked ready yet.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109289

I dont need that chump(why he's on my ignore list) to tell me Ian wasnt ready. It takes no brain surgeon to understand why the spurs sent him back to the toros. And imo he wont be ready for quite some time. He just doesnt have it yet. Of course it doesnt mean he wont ever. But he wont be helping us anytime soon. What I cant believe is how people believe he was being sent back to austin to get himself in shape.(thats the FO suckering us and the nba again). The FO just didnt want to hurt his feelings and admit they're wrong. Ian=waste of time. I do believe if he played for someone like GS or NY where defense isnt number 1, he might play serious amounts of NBA time. But not for our system.

#2!
11-26-2008, 05:42 AM
thinking about the potential of our team vs (unfortunately)the reality of the current lakers team makes me think that the next two postseason's will have the west come down to battles between these two teams.

...history will be repeated:flag:

holcs50
11-26-2008, 05:51 AM
I dont need that chump(why he's on my ignore list) to tell me Ian wasnt ready. It takes no brain surgeon to understand why the spurs sent him back to the toros. And imo he wont be ready for quite some time. He just doesnt have it yet. Of course it doesnt mean he wont ever. But he wont be helping us anytime soon. What I cant believe is how people believe he was being sent back to austin to get himself in shape.(thats the FO suckering us and the nba again). The FO just didnt want to hurt his feelings and admit they're wrong. Ian=waste of time. I do believe if he played for someone like GS or NY where defense isnt number 1, he might play serious amounts of NBA time. But not for our system.

lmfao-u just wrote a whole bunch and said what we all think-we dont know how ian will turn up-im going to be optimistic so f off. can u believe how pessimistic this site and all spurs fans were this summer after we lost maggete and drafted ghill??? we, as hard fans were pissed-but look what has happened its turned out u know what were all wrong again! Hill is amazing and mason well is beyond amazing so just stop-if you really think ian has no hope you are not a real spurs fan. GTFO of here

JPB
11-26-2008, 07:46 AM
Reading Spurstalk with Chump on your ignore list is like reading a book with only images.

It's easier but much less interesting.

ChumpDumper
11-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Ian said on the radio that he was 3 or 4 weeks from being in shape, and that's all he's focusing on while with the Toros.

duncan228
11-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks Chump.

duncan228
11-26-2008, 11:07 PM
From McDonald's game blog tonight.

Spurs/Austin Toros update: (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/spursworld/2008/11/gameday_spurs_vs_bulls.html)

The Toros played their second of two Developmental League preseason games on Saturday, losing to Colorado 120-104. Malik Hairston, who was with the Spurs in training camp, had 20 points and Marcus Williams had 16. Ian Mahinmi, who is part of the Spurs' roster but has been slowed by an ankle injury, played 23 minutes and had nine points and two rebounds. The Toros open the regular season on Friday.

Spurtacus
11-26-2008, 11:10 PM
I really hope we can find out by the trade deadline if Mahinmi is the big we need. If not, we need to get another big.

timvp
11-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Ian said on the radio that he was 3 or 4 weeks from being in shape, and that's all he's focusing on while with the Toros.

The great part about the Toros schedule is Mahinmi can stay with them until the New Years and only have to make one trip. The rest are home games. So even if he has to stay there until 2009, the Spurs should be able to keep a close eye on him.

Capt Bringdown
11-26-2008, 11:30 PM
How many of these developmental league gambits have worked out for the Spurs?

Players are ready, or they're not. I don't have much hope in Mahinimi.

Gino2882
11-26-2008, 11:49 PM

Its not really a matter of whether he is ready or not, as know one really knows. He is down in Austin to simply work on his conditioning and finish his recovery from a pretty severe ankle injury.

Also, looks like Hairston is playing well. I really think he should be on the Spurs roster, but as long as he is safe on the Toros he will get great run down there.

Russ
11-26-2008, 11:50 PM

Boy, he's chomping at the bit. :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

SequSpur
11-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Did he play Friday night?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-27-2008, 01:17 PM

You know you read everything Chump says. You may have him on the ignore list, but you still read what he has to say when other people quote him.

SpurSupremacist
11-27-2008, 05:54 PM
What's Ratliff doing these days?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-27-2008, 06:37 PM
I think he retired.

ChumpDumper
11-27-2008, 06:39 PM
He's playing for Philly.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Oh yeah, that's right. :reading

He's not doing much there though. Only averaging 7 minutes.

SpurSupremacist
11-27-2008, 06:47 PM
I wonder if he has anything left. Anything is better than Thomas/Tolliver at this point. Unless he really is injured and not just washed up.

Bruno
11-27-2008, 06:58 PM
3 to 4 weeks is a lot but if he needs that time to be back at 100%, there is nothing you can do about that.
I still hope it will be a little quicker and that he will be ready after Toros' first home stand that is to say on December 13th.

ChumpDumper
11-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Ian shouldn't have very difficult matchups tomorrow against Utah; they are a very small team. Brian Jackson may have some success defending him one-on-one, but they will probably be doubling him a whole lot. Their other big man looks like a Matt Bonner/Brian Scalabrine love child.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/088tejL9mRg4L/340x.jpg

Saturday's matchup against Tulsa will be much more difficult, as they have will have four quality big men to throw at him in Steven Hill, Chris Richard, Chris Eillis and even Ryan Humprey.

Dingle Barry
11-28-2008, 11:08 PM
So far, Ian has played 20 minutes and scored 4 points on 1-5 from the field, one (??!) rebound, one block and 4 turnovers.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=2020800004

yavozerb
11-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Ian with 4 fouls,4 pts, 1 rbd....This guy could stay with austin all season with stat lines like this. Getting into shape is one thing, trying to become an NBA center/pf is another.

Kori Ellis
11-28-2008, 11:31 PM
So far, Ian has played 20 minutes and scored 4 points on 1-5 from the field, one (??!) rebound, one block and 4 turnovers.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=2020800004

There's some comments in the other thread from people who watched that he was being seen by the trainer on the bench and is obviously still injured.

ShoogarBear
11-28-2008, 11:31 PM
For the Spurs, this season may all come down to The Mahinmi.

galvatron3000
11-28-2008, 11:32 PM
it's going to be harder for a big to come back from a foot related injury, let him get another 2 games under his belt.

BuzzerBeater
11-28-2008, 11:39 PM
I wonder if he has anything left. Anything is better than Thomas/Tolliver at this point. Unless he really is injured and not just washed up.
Tolliver is going to game up exponentially.
Just watch.
My prediction, next couple of games.

Dex
11-29-2008, 03:46 AM
There's some comments in the other thread from people who watched that he was being seen by the trainer on the bench and is obviously still injured.

:pctoss

The Spurs are one decent big away from being a fantastic basketball team, and this guy breaks faster than an XBox.

Until further notice, I am sold on Mahinmi's china doll status.

ILoveOranges
11-29-2008, 04:23 AM
What I'm confused about is why they don't sit Mahinmi a bit longer, especially if he's still hurt.

Obstructed_View
11-29-2008, 05:33 AM

Yeah, it's been three whole years of the D league. What the fuck? Why not just give it up now? Goddamn.

Bruno
11-29-2008, 07:36 AM
http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/01/14/15/image_8015141.jpg

I only watch the first minutes of the games (the streaming was bad) but I was quite surprised to see Mahinmi being that far from being in shape. I even wonder what is the point of playing games at that stage of the rehab process.

polandprzem
11-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Is he still in rehab process?

I though he ended that stage and moved to being-ingame-shape-level-up-conditioning

BOHOLANO#21
11-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Yeah, it's been three whole years of the D league. What the fuck? Why not just give it up now? Goddamn.
hey dickhead, mahinmi only joined with the austin toros last year. i guess public education didn't teach you much in math huh!

Obstructed_View
11-29-2008, 01:13 PM
hey dickhead, mahinmi only joined with the austin toros last year. i guess public education didn't teach you much in math huh!

What the fuck are you talking about? Please go back and read my post as well as the post I was replying to and try again.

ChumpDumper
11-29-2008, 02:42 PM
I only watch the first minutes of the games (the streaming was bad) but I was quite surprised to see Mahinmi being that far from being in shape. I even wonder what is the point of playing games at that stage of the rehab process.It doesn't make much sense from a winning basketball games standpoint, but it is said nothing is better for conditioning than actual game play. Hopefully it helps his confidence in the ankle each game he makes it through successfully as well.

HarlemHeat37
11-29-2008, 02:54 PM
so I guess we won't be able to see a healthy Mahinmi on the Spurs roster until mid-January?.

ChumpDumper
11-29-2008, 03:12 PM
I'll just say January.

ChumpDumper
11-29-2008, 09:52 PM
No Ian tonight. In street clothes. RC is here FWIW.

tav1
11-29-2008, 09:55 PM
No Ian tonight. In street clothes. RC is here FWIW.

I hope he didn't come for a "So, Ian, the team doctor says we're looking at another 8 weeks" kind of visit.

Dingle Barry
11-30-2008, 01:01 AM
Can someone refresh me on what exactly his injury is and when it was sustained?
I thought it was just an ankle? Was it that severe or is dude just a slow healer?

Capt Bringdown
11-30-2008, 02:24 AM
Can someone refresh me on what exactly his injury is and when it was sustained?
I thought it was just an ankle? Was it that severe or is dude just a slow healer?

He suffers from lack-of-game-itis, aka no-talent syndrome. :p:

intlspurshk
11-30-2008, 02:40 AM
Why was he so fragile? How can he survive in the NBA?

ChumpDumper
11-30-2008, 02:48 AM
You guys need to calm down. He was walking around fine tonight. It looks like they are keeping him out of back-to-backs. I expect to see him play Monday.

tp2021
11-30-2008, 02:52 AM
I just don't want this guy to be a bust simply because he can't stay on the court, is all.

Bruno
11-30-2008, 04:08 AM
Toros' announcers said before the game that he rolls his other ankle during the game against Flash.
I don't think it is a serious sprain since he continues to play in this game but you had to be careful and playing a b2b game for a player that comes back after a 3 month old injury and has two bum ankles isn't a that good idea.

yavozerb
11-30-2008, 06:46 AM
Ian now targeting 2009...

Ice009
11-30-2008, 06:50 AM
Are you guys serious? He hurt himself again?

silk
11-30-2008, 01:18 PM
arg..I can see the trade him threads coming in..

Gino2882
11-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Forget Mahinmi...Seriously. It is literally a waste of time to follow these threads about him. I guess when he shows up for the Spurs I will be surprised to see him. Done worrying about him for now.

AFBlue
11-30-2008, 04:02 PM
arg..I can see the trade him threads coming in..

He's a Presti pick....and the Thunder own the Spurs 2009 first-rounder if they make the playoffs.

Seems like a natural trade at this point. Spurs get back the pick they surrendered in the KT trade and Presti gets his boy.

ChumpDumper
11-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Forget Mahinmi...Seriously. It is literally a waste of time to follow these threads about him. I guess when he shows up for the Spurs I will be surprised to see him. Done worrying about him for now.Great. Get lost.

Gino2882
11-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Great. Get lost.

Thanks for the update...oh wait...There isn't one...

To much more important stuff going on in basketball than to fret over the FRAGILE Mahinmi man...

Obstructed_View
11-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the update...oh wait...There isn't one...

To much more important stuff going on in basketball than to fret over the FRAGILE Mahinmi man...

I thought you said you weren't going to follow this thread anymore. It's literally a waste of time, whatever that means.

ShoogarBear
11-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Mahinmi wont make any impact on the spurs this season even if he can manage to stay healthy.
He's still young though.Maybe when healthy He can see some playing time this season, but forget about Him getting much in the playoffs, or making a big impact in the reg season.

I have to admit that this is the conclusion I'm starting to reach.

Obstructed_View
11-30-2008, 05:48 PM
If he can get healthy and stay that way, he's got no excuse for not contributing. He's been with the Spurs longer than Thomas has, so he should know the defense as well as anyone.

ShoogarBear
11-30-2008, 05:55 PM
He still only has a total of 23 minutes NBA PT. With him missing camp and all the other changes going on, I just see a significant contribution becoming less and less likely.

Obstructed_View
11-30-2008, 05:58 PM
I just don't believe he's ever going to get healthy, but I remember a time when I thought the same thing about Kurt Thomas.

BOHOLANO#21
11-30-2008, 07:16 PM
If he can get healthy and stay that way, he's got no excuse for not contributing. He's been with the Spurs longer than Thomas has, so he should know the defense as well as anyone.
mahinmi only joined the spurs last year and played a couple of games before he was sent to the toros so i don't think he knows more than thomas.

Russ
11-30-2008, 07:46 PM
I just don't want this guy to be a bust simply because he can't stay on the court, is all.

Do you only mean by injury or do we also have to include fouling? :lol

(Okay, it's a cheap shot but I'm in a nasty mood due to the Longhorns getting *^%*&%*&%^*!)

boutons_
11-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Ian's problems, of pretty much equal persistence, have been injuries and excessive fouling.

DPG21920
11-30-2008, 09:15 PM
mahinmi only joined the spurs last year and played a couple of games before he was sent to the toros so i don't think he knows more than thomas.

The Toros run a lot of the same schemes that the Spurs do, so the players know the plays and such.

Obstructed_View
11-30-2008, 11:42 PM

Mahinmi started last season with the Spurs, was at both training camps, spent as much time as possible working with the team and ran Spurs sets in Austin and summer league. Thomas joined the Spurs in February.

Tully365
12-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Remember, Mahinmi is younger than George Hill. It's silly to judge him, write him off, or proclaim him a savior at this point. Only time will tell.

polandprzem
12-01-2008, 02:30 AM
Remember, Mahinmi is younger than George Hill. It's silly to judge him, write him off, or proclaim him a savior at this point. Only time will tell.

Esp. when big man needs more time to develop skills.

timvp
12-01-2008, 02:46 AM
He still only has a total of 23 minutes NBA PT.Yeah but his PER was 34.86!!!!

That'd be first in the NBAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

ShoogarBear
12-01-2008, 03:47 AM
Yeah but his PER was 34.86!!!!

That'd be first in the NBAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

:lol Yeah, I saw that. I guess Hollinger is holding back after what happened with Jackie Butler.

TDMVPDPOY
12-01-2008, 07:46 AM
we shouldve sign that other guy in the pic on the right...i think his name is jesus....

polandprzem
12-01-2008, 08:23 AM
christ

mountainballer
12-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Gist.

Biggems
12-01-2008, 09:25 AM
well if Ian isnt coming, maybe we can sign Courtney Sims

Manufan909
12-02-2008, 01:48 AM
Yo chump, wtf??? Did Ian significantly mess up his other ankle up now?

Gosh damn, I am slowly losing all hope for seeing him before New Years. Hopefully the Spurs have all blowout games(some Ws, some Ls) when he's finally back, so Mahinmi can get a heaping helping of garbage minutes.

EDIT: referring to yesterdays game, where he was DNP. I know you expected to be able to see him play, so what's wrong now? It's like he's the Spurs very own Oden. Except for the fact Ian could've played last year, but he ended up on the Toros because there were too many bigs, and not enough minutes to spread around.

Fucking Gist would be nice right about now, Pop is looking like a royal shit for picking Toll over Hairston AND Gist, and Ahearn over Farmer, to a certain extent.

Anyone think Hairston would be able to contribute more if he'd been put on the team than Bowen(I won't even mention Ime, he's been the worst player so far, and with JV and Fin there, that's saying something) has up to this point? I think he might've, but having so many rookies might've overwhelmed Pop. Still, Gist is everything Toll is plus some, so I don't get it.

Borosai
12-02-2008, 01:57 AM
Mahinmi has the power to heal instantly; he simply chooses not to.

Obstructed_View
12-02-2008, 05:12 AM
Anyone think Hairston would be able to contribute more if he'd been put on the team than Bowen(I won't even mention Ime, he's been the worst player so far, and with JV and Fin there, that's saying something) has up to this point?

No. The contribution Tolliver has given is about all you could expect. Hairston isn't giving effort every night in Austin. Until he does that, he's not ready for San Antonio. I'd like to see him locked up with a roster spot if the Spurs can free a couple up.

Rogue
12-02-2008, 07:57 AM
the only thing he impress me a little bit is just his first name Ian.
Ian Mcallen acts the magneto in the X movies, but Ian himself is a pansy who is also a knight.

DaBears
12-02-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm starting to think that we might never see Ian Mahani play again in a Spurs uniform. I know he cant be nursing that injured ankle anymore.

Manufan909
12-02-2008, 12:32 PM
the only thing he impress me a little bit is just his first name Ian.
Ian Mcallen acts the magneto in the X movies, but Ian himself is a pansy who is also a knight.

But Mahinmi's name rhymes with gone, stupid French.:lol

sonic21
12-02-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm starting to think that we might never see Ian Mahani play again in a Spurs uniform.

+1.
To change the subject, i hope Mahinmi will be back soon.

xtremesteven33
12-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Im beginning to lose a little hope in him.

hopefully he proves me wrong

Budkin
12-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Just got a text to my phone that said he's been recalled back up to the Spurs and that Tolliver was sent to the Toros... hopefully the young man can finally get some meaningful playing time in now!

Manufan909
12-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Just got a text to my phone that said he's been recalled back up to the Spurs and that Tolliver was sent to the Toros... hopefully the young man can finally get some meaningful playing time in now!

Ok, this is all making less and less sense. It's be great to have some 20 pt leads tonight, let Ian get in for at least 10 minutes.

ChumpDumper
12-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Yo chump, wtf??? Did Ian significantly mess up his other ankle up now?Bruno mentioned in another thread that he heard RC and Lindsey on the radio saying it wasn't serious. He was walking fine both Saturday and Monday.

ChumpDumper
12-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Hairston isn't giving effort every night in Austin. Until he does that, he's not ready for San Antonio.He's giving effort every night. It's just that some nights he's not that effective.

spursdotcom
12-02-2008, 03:18 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/ian_mahinmi_recalled_081202.html

Bruno
12-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Bruno mentioned in another thread that he heard RC and Lindsey on the radio saying it wasn't serious.

It was French newspapers that said it wasn't serious.

ChumpDumper
12-02-2008, 03:19 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/ian_mahinmi_recalled_081202.html
This is a move for Tolliver and not for Ian. Tolliver and Ahearn are now getting the Darius Washington tryout.

ChumpDumper
12-02-2008, 03:20 PM
It was French newspapers that said it wasn't serious.Thanks for clearing that up.

Manufan909
12-02-2008, 03:25 PM
He's giving effort every night. It's just that some nights he's not that effective.

I was wondering why he went from 20 FTs to 3.

And concerning Ian, do you expect him to get spot minutes since he's been called up? Calling him up so he can be IR or DNP seems absolutely retarded, which is not how I would describe Pop.

Manufan909
12-02-2008, 03:28 PM
This is a move for Tolliver and not for Ian. Tolliver and Ahearn are now getting the Darius Washington tryout.

Ok, so I know technically he's a Spurs, but is he a Toro or a Spur as of right now?

EDIT: Damn, since the Spurs have Tony and Manu recovering ahead of schedule, they also have to have Fab and Ian taking their sweet time.:bang

Baseline
12-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Ian back in San Antonio. That is extremely good news.

I think Pop wants to find out if Ian can be the rebounding guy next to Tim, or if we need to make a trade for a big by the deadline.

ChumpDumper
12-02-2008, 03:32 PM
I was wondering why he went from 20 FTs to 3.Tulsa's defense sucked. Erie's did not.

And concerning Ian, do you expect him to get spot minutes since he's been called up? Calling him up so he can be IR or DNP seems absolutely retarded, which is not how I would describe Pop.I'd be surprised if he makes it off the IR for a little while as a precaution if nothing else. I don't think he's in good enough shape or confident enough to contribute much to the Spurs.

All in all, sending Ahearn and Tolliver down is good news, since it means the clock is running on the decision to keep either or both. If they let one of both go, that will mean more auditions in the future

ChumpDumper
12-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Ok, so I know technically he's a Spurs, but is he a Toro or a Spur as of right now?Tolliver is a Spur assigned to the Toros. He's still on the Spurs roster getting NBA pay, as is Ahearn.

Gino2882
12-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Chump, I really think Mahinmi may get some minutes. As was pointed out it really makes no sense to bring him up and leave him on IR.

Unless the other ankle injury is a few day thing and he wasn't gonna be able to play anyway.

Also, I don't think this is a tryout for Tolliver. I think Pop knows what he can and can't do by now, and this may just be development for Tolliver as opposed to him getting a final chance to prove his worth.

Hopefully Mahinmi is in unifom tonight.

Bruno
12-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Chump, I really think Mahinmi may get some minutes. As was pointed out it really makes no sense to bring him up and leave him on IR.

You can't have 3 players send down to Austin at the same time.

If Spurs want to test both Ahearn and Tolliver, you had to call up Mahinmi.

It's possible that Ian spend one week on the IL with Spurs and is send back in one week to Austin when Spurs have made their choice on Tolliver/Ahearn.

ChumpDumper
12-02-2008, 03:41 PM

Unless the other ankle injury is a few day thing and he wasn't gonna be able to play anyway.That's what I think. He simply doesn't look ready to play NBA ball.

Also, I don't think this is a tryout for Tolliver. I think Pop knows what he can and can't do by now, and this may just be development for Tolliver as opposed to him getting a final chance to prove his worth.It's probably more of an audition for Ahearn, true -- but if they are really impressed with two other D-League prospects, who knows? It will be nice to see if Tolliver can shoot any better given the minutes. Last night would have been a great test for him guarding a long small forward.

Hopefully Mahinmi is in unifom tonight.I wouldn't count on that.

bigfan
12-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Well, lets give the dude a chance. I know he's young but he should be semi-productive by now. He still reminds me of a young Nazi Mohammad. Hope he proves me wrong.

tav1
12-02-2008, 03:44 PM

Unless the other ankle injury is a few day thing and he wasn't gonna be able to play anyway.

Also, I don't think this is a tryout for Tolliver. I think Pop knows what he can and can't do by now, and this may just be development for Tolliver as opposed to him getting a final chance to prove his worth.

Hopefully Mahinmi is in unifom tonight.

If Mahinmi is in uniform, who isn't? Vaughn?

I have a friend in sports psychology who believes that some players play up or down to whatever talent level surrounds them---it's a personality type, not a talent thing. I'm hoping this is the case with Mahinmi. Maybe his uninspired play in summer league was just that. Perhaps the thrill of the big leagues will bring it out of him, once he finally does get back on the court.

DPG21920
12-02-2008, 03:46 PM
The reason the Spurs sent Ian down to Austin was to get back into game shape and rehab his ankle. He clearly did not look back in shape and his ankle is not healed completely. I would highly doubt he plays tonight, especially seeing how he played in Austin so far.

Baseline
12-02-2008, 03:46 PM
All we need next to Tim is a rebounding fool with some energy. If Ian can block a shot or two here or there, great. If he can score a bucket every now and then, even better.

duncan228
12-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Jeff McDonald: Mahinmi called up, Tolliver sent down (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/12/jeff_mcdonald_m_21.html)

The Spurs continued to burn up Interstate-35 between San Antonio and Austin on Tuesday, recalling former first-round draft pick Ian Mahinmi from the Toros, their affiliate in the NBA's Developmental League.

To make roster room in San Antonio, the Spurs have also assigned rookie Anthony Tolliver to Austin.

Mahinmi, the team's first-round pick in 2005, was initially sent to Austin on Nov. 14 to recover from a sprained ankle suffered before the start of training camp. The 6-foot-11 center/forward played in one game for the Toros, scoring four points in 20 minutes.

Tolliver, an undrafted free agent who made the Spurs roster out of training camp, averaged 3.5 points in 11 appearances with the Spurs. The Spurs will retain Tolliver's rights while he is in Austin.

Manufan909
12-02-2008, 04:01 PM
You can't have 3 players send down to Austin at the same time.

If Spurs want to test both Ahearn and Tolliver, you had to call up Mahinmi.

It's possible that Ian spend one week on the IL with Spurs and is send back in one week to Austin when Spurs have made their choice on Tolliver/Ahearn.

Damn you Bruno, that's pretty logical, and something I didn't think of. But it still shits on my hopes of him playing tonight. Hopefully he is active, just in case. With 4 players more capable at PG than JV active, I expect him to be the 13th man. Win or lose, I want this game to be a blowout, so Pop can give him some time.

MoSpur
12-02-2008, 04:12 PM
I sure do want to see him get regular minutes soon. I doubt it will be tonight, but I hope soon. He doesn't need to be Dwight Howard. He just needs to be K Willis as far as defending and rebounding go. Not K Will when he was a Hawk. K Will when he was a Raptor, Nugget, and Rocket.

ChumpDumper
12-02-2008, 04:31 PM
FYI, if the internets feed is up, tomorrow's game starts at 11 AM CST.

DPG21920
12-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Here is the link:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/webcastDleague.html

benefactor
12-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Now we are even thinner on the front line. Beautiful.

Indazone
12-02-2008, 06:00 PM
If nothing else, Mahinmi can just stand in the low block on the weakside and just cleanup the glass while Duncan goes to work. The possibilities are endless. Putbacks, dunks, rebounds.

Manufan909
12-02-2008, 06:05 PM
If nothing else, Mahinmi can just stand in the low block on the weakside and just cleanup the glass while Duncan goes to work. The possibilities are endless. Putbacks, dunks, rebounds.

If he ever dons a Spurs jersey again, that is.

Indazone
12-02-2008, 06:20 PM
If he ever dons a Spurs jersey again, that is.

We'll take him. He'd do well next to Yao and Scola. We need another big.

Manufan909
12-02-2008, 06:25 PM
We'll take him. He'd do well next to Yao and Scola. We need another big.

You can't trick RC the same way twice!!! I hope...:depressed

mystargtr34
12-02-2008, 06:28 PM
We havent got a bigger, more athletic and better big looking to come over so i doubt we will get rid of Ian.

Indazone
12-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Stromile Swift he is not.

Obstructed_View
12-02-2008, 06:53 PM
He's giving effort every night. It's just that some nights he's not that effective.

That's what I get for leaping to conclusions based on the box score. I thought you'd mentioned that he wasn't hustling on defense at one point.

ChumpDumper
12-02-2008, 07:05 PM
That's what I get for leaping to conclusions based on the box score. I thought you'd mentioned that he wasn't hustling on defense at one point.That was more a bad decision on a switch. I have some pics of it and it looks like Serge (who did make the switch) was recovering before Malik even realized what was happening.

Gino2882
12-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Any word on this Mahinmi man? Is he in uniform tonight and well enough to play? Or is donning the fancy suit.

Would really be nice to see what he could do out there.

Obstructed_View
12-02-2008, 07:12 PM
That was more a bad decision on a switch. I have some pics of it and it looks like Serge (who did make the switch) was recovering before Malik even realized what was happening.

Well if he's playing hard all the time, that's good enough for me. My only concern is that he dropped 20 pounds a couple of months before the draft, and I keep waiting for him to start gaining it back.

Fingaroll44
12-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Ian back in San Antonio. That is extremely good news.

I think Pop wants to find out if Ian can be the rebounding guy next to Tim, or if we need to make a trade for a big by the deadline.

agreed. i think pop is just as curious as WE ARE. Hmmm? Will this kid sink or swim when thrown in w/ the sharks.

ChumpDumper
12-02-2008, 07:30 PM
I will be very surprised if Ian plays for the Spurs this month.

yavozerb
12-02-2008, 07:33 PM

I do not think sitting on the bench for another month well help this guy..As far as knowing the system, he should know know it pretty well since this is his 2nd season.

K-State Spur
12-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Jeff McDonald: Mahinmi called up, Tolliver sent down (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/12/jeff_mcdonald_m_21.html)

The Spurs continued to burn up Interstate-35 between San Antonio and Austin on Tuesday, recalling former first-round draft pick Ian Mahinmi from the Toros, their affiliate in the NBA's Developmental League.

To make roster room in San Antonio, the Spurs have also assigned rookie Anthony Tolliver to Austin.

Mahinmi, the team's first-round pick in 2005, was initially sent to Austin on Nov. 14 to recover from a sprained ankle suffered before the start of training camp. The 6-foot-11 center/forward played in one game for the Toros, scoring four points in 20 minutes.

Tolliver, an undrafted free agent who made the Spurs roster out of training camp, averaged 3.5 points in 11 appearances with the Spurs. The Spurs will retain Tolliver's rights while he is in Austin.

Somebody tell McDonald that this isn't baseball. Both are still on San Antonio's roster.

Gino2882
12-02-2008, 07:34 PM

I know you have been following him closely, but why do you think he will be out this entire month?

You said he was walking fine a couple days ago. You may very well be right, but I just don't think they would have recalled him if he wasn't ready for even some limited minutes.

I don't know, we should get a better read on the situation during tonight's game.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Somebody tell McDonald that this isn't baseball. Both are still on San Antonio's roster.

ChumpDumper
12-02-2008, 07:38 PM
His stated schedule a week ago was to spend at least three or four weeks in Austin getting in shape and regaining his timing. So his plan before his latest injury was not to play for the Spurs for almost all of December. Anything is possible I guess, but like I said I would be surprised.

timvp
12-02-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm guessing Mahinmi is out for a week or two with his injury #234,764 and instead of giving Tolliver end of the bench minutes, they'd rather him pay big minutes in Austin to see if his shot is ever going to be relocated. If it's not and he struggles rebounding on the D-League level, the Spurs may waive him. But I think that's unlikely and that Tolliver will show enough to stick around ... besides the Spurs need him for depth considering Mahinmi's fragile existence.

I can see a scenario in which the Spurs waive Ahearn and then send down Mahinmi to join Tolliver in Austin. Those two would actually work well off of each other. Tolliver would be out on the perimeter and Mahinmi would be down low.

Brazil
12-02-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm guessing Mahinmi is out for a week or two with his injury #234,764 ... besides the Spurs need him for depth considering Mahinmi's fragile existence.

Keep the faith timvp and remember Ian is our savior

benefactor
12-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Keep the faith timvp and remember Ian is our savior
No longer buying...for now.

tav1
12-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Courtney Sims is just a few minutes into his 3rd game and is killing like he did in the first two. I'm officially on the waive Tolliver and give Sims a 10-day bandwagon.

tp2021
12-04-2008, 08:24 PM
I don't think 10-day contracts have started yet. Just sayin.

Manufan909
12-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Courtney Sims is just a few minutes into his 3rd game and is killing like he did in the first two. I'm officially on the waive Tolliver and give Sims a 10-day bandwagon.

What's the story on this guy? Is he a D-League Allstar or something?

angelbelow
12-04-2008, 09:00 PM
we should take a hard look at sims.

tav1
12-04-2008, 09:05 PM
I don't think 10-day contracts have started yet. Just sayin.

They have.

tav1
12-04-2008, 09:07 PM
What's the story on this guy? Is he a D-League Allstar or something?

Well, he's had a great two opening games to the season. However, just after I posted above his torrid opening quarter of game 3 sputtered-out with fouls. I should have waited. I'm still in favor of the Spurs ending the Tolliver experiment and bringing him in, though.

timvp
12-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Ten-day contracts start in January.

It's going to be interesting to see if Tolliver can show some more on the D-League level. If he can't, I don't mind waiving him ... although I do think he's a pretty good fit as a deep reserve because he can come in and hustle right away. Since he doesn't rely on skill, him being rusty doesn't matter much.

Obstructed_View
12-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Shot blocker. Shot blocker. Shot blocker.

underdawg
12-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Shot blocker. Shot blocker. Shot blocker.

Who Oberto?

galvatron3000
12-04-2008, 10:01 PM
u guys are lucky u get to see som many Spurs games, unless they win a championship I get few games to see the following season. Anyone have the 95 playoff series against houston on tape?

tav1
12-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Ten-day contracts start in January.

It's going to be interesting to see if Tolliver can show some more on the D-League level. If he can't, I don't mind waiving him ... although I do think he's a pretty good fit as a deep reserve because he can come in and hustle right away. Since he doesn't rely on skill, him being rusty doesn't matter much.

Thanks for the 10 day reminder. Honestly, I thought you were mistaken and so I double-checked over at CBA FAQ (http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q65). Right you are.:hat

Big P
12-04-2008, 10:24 PM
u guys are lucky u get to see som many Spurs games, unless they win a championship I get few games to see the following season. Anyone have the 95 playoff series against houston on tape?

Where do you live? Get NBA league pass...I thought you could even pay to watch the games from NBA.com

galvatron3000
12-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Where do you live? Get NBA league pass...I thought you could even pay to watch the games from NBA.com

I live in Alabama

tav1
12-04-2008, 10:41 PM
I live in Alabama

NBA Broadband is well worth the $100.

galvatron3000
12-05-2008, 11:13 AM
NBA Broadband is well worth the $100.

my broadband connection is horrible because the phone lines in my area all need to be replaced so when I tried to watch the free showing online it was no good so I saved my $100

Dex
12-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Probably goin to the Toros game tonight.

I'll give the :tu or :td on Tolliver and Ahearn.

urunobili
12-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Probably goin to the Toros game tonight.

I'll give the :tu or :td on Tolliver and Ahearn.

Can we get some Hairston review added to them?

Dex
12-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Can we get some Hairston review added to them?

No way.

Dex
12-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Just kidding. I'm pretty sure that can be arranged.

Obstructed_View
12-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Who Oberto?

Sims.

ChumpDumper
12-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Sims.The feed from Fort Wayne tonight is good if you want to watch him play.

BlackBellamy
12-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Where is this guy? Does he just plain suck or is he still adding days to the longest recovery period from a twisted ankle in sport history?

Uh, Yes and yes.

Obstructed_View
12-05-2008, 08:27 PM
The feed from Fort Wayne tonight is good if you want to watch him play.

Not that good. I got video for a minute or so and now all I get is audio. Sims has 16 points and 6 boards but he's getting lit up on the other end.

tav1
12-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Sims played well on the offensive end, but the box suggests he gave up a ton of points too.

Statistically, Tolliver put up his usual numbers, which is to say nothing special.

I'm just looking at box scores, though, I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of those who actually saw the games.

Question: is the loss of Mahinmi the main reason for Austin's struggles, or is something else afoot?

Yawn Maheenmee
12-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Is it just me or are those futurecast broadcasts really laggy n choppy..? The nba league pass webcasts work great but for some reason the toros webcasts r always choppy n laggy for me. Anyone else having the same problem?

SpursFan0728
12-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Is it just me or are those futurecast broadcasts really laggy n choppy..? The nba league pass webcasts work great but for some reason the toros webcasts r always choppy n laggy for me. Anyone else having the same problem?

I have the exact same problem with you.

m33p0
12-06-2008, 01:18 AM
i'm still mesmerized at the kind of injury Ian had.

Yawn Maheenmee
12-06-2008, 01:24 AM
Well, hopefully Ian can contribute soon.

barbacoataco
12-06-2008, 01:25 AM
Hasn't it been a long time out for the type of injury he has?

Manufan909
12-06-2008, 01:29 AM
Hasn't it been a long time out for the type of injury he has?

Not for Ian.

Yawn Maheenmee
12-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Ian was injured shortly after summer league play had come to an end. It was some time in September I think.

DPG21920
12-06-2008, 01:44 AM
Ian's injury is taking forever to heal. Kind of weak sauce from him.

timtonymanu
12-06-2008, 01:46 AM
i wish Ian well, but im getting really impatient with him. He's been out longer than Ginobili has and he just has an injury.

TDMVPDPOY
12-06-2008, 03:49 AM
i wish Ian well, but im getting really impatient with him. He's been out longer than Ginobili has and he just has an injury.

no shit sherlock, waiting for him is like waitin for scola/javtokas/sanikidz....im fukn tired of this shit....if the dude is injury prone? fukn get rid of him and free up a roster spot....

wildbill2u
12-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Ian may prove to be like those thoroughbred horses who never rise to their potential because their skinny legs make them vulnerable to leg injuries. Or foot injuries.

Obstructed_View
12-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Or he may just be having some bad luck and we're blowing this out of proportion. Timmy's ankles were constantly sprained in '05, and he played through it. Manu had an ankle sprain his rookie year, and he was brought along very slowly.

T Park
12-06-2008, 02:29 PM
I haven't totally given up on him, but I must admit, I don't expect anything out of him this season at all.

DROB4EVER
12-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Hope he gets some PT tonight, he can be a factor this year maybe they just dont wanna rush the ankle. They know they are gonna need him in the playoffs. I was impressed at the few games he played for us last year....be it very small amount of time, he looks to be a good bigman but fouls may be a problem.

Thompson
12-06-2008, 03:08 PM
I don't think they recalled him to get playing time, I think someone else mentioned they can only send two players down to the Toros at the same time. Since Ian hurt his other ankle and can't play anyway, they recalled him so they can get Tolliver some PT.

SenorSpur
12-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Splitter's no-show this year provided a golden opportunity for Ian to crack the rotation and earn significant minutes. It's a damn shame he's been hobbled. His rehab and regular season debut is taking longer than anyone could've imagined.

Like everybody else, I'm getting impatient too. Just for fun, I'm pointing toward a possible date of Jan 14th versus the Fakers. I'm probably wrong on that, but if he can get here by then, that gives him virtually the 2nd half of the season to try and crack the rotation. Personally, I can't wait to see how he fares against some of the league's younger bigs. I just hope the Spurs can get some contribution out of him this season. The frontline could really use the help.

tav1
12-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Yeah, the odds are longer and longer of his contributing this season, though the season is long and I think once healthy he'll catch at least one break at game time. The fact that bigs 4 and 5--Oberto's is playing decently--are not doing anything to put a strangle hold on their position is a help to him.

Manufan909
12-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Yeah, the odds are longer and longer of his contributing this season, though the season is long and I think once healthy he'll catch at least one break at game time. The fact that bigs 4 and 5--Oberto's is playing decently--are not doing anything to put a strangle hold on their position is a help to him.

So far the only bigs he'd have to worry about in getting minutes is Tim and Matt. Everyone else has sucked up to this point. When Ian finally plays is another story entirely, Fab and KT might already be average at that point, and Bonner might have become firmly entreched in getting starters minutes.

tav1
12-06-2008, 04:50 PM
So far the only bigs he'd have to worry about in getting minutes is Tim and Matt. Everyone else has sucked up to this point. When Ian finally plays is another story entirely, Fab and KT might already be average at that point, and Bonner might have become firmly entreched in getting starters minutes.

Oberto has played fairly well. TimVPs last Game Notes was helpful on this front. But the Cliff Notes runs like this: Oberto is an important offensive cog because of his passing abilities. His minutes are worthwhile.

SpursFan0728
12-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Oberto has played fairly well. TimVPs last Game Notes was helpful on this front. But the Cliff Notes runs like this: Oberto is an important offensive cog because of his passing abilities. His minutes are worthwhile.

I think fab should also shoot a bit more. I've seen him hit those 6-8 feet jumpers before and I don't know why he stopped doing it

Manufan909
12-06-2008, 05:24 PM
I think fab should also shoot a bit more. I've seen him hit those 6-8 feet jumpers before and I don't know why he stopped doing it

Damn dude, you beat me to it. He has a sweet corner jay he used to go to alot, but he only looks to pass now. Can't wait to see him start to shoot it more. Bonner and Mason needs to instill that green light mentality in him, since he is open 80% of the time.

And seeing Bonner get those wide open layups against the Niggets pissed me off, cuz I know Fab can do that, he just hasn't done so for whatever reason.

underdawg
12-06-2008, 05:30 PM

His passing is good, but does it really equalize his poor rebounding, offensive woes and lack of any shot blocking? His shortcomings are covered by the good play we had from other players against Denver, but when our shooting is off his shortcomings become exposed. Bonner's playing well, but he also is a rebounding liability- his numbers are definitely up, but he rarely out jumps an opponent for rebounds (like most big men do.) I like both of those players, but we have yet to find someone else that can out jump opponents and grab rebounds. Ian might be that guy, but if he's not we need to find someone for that task - a Gist like player.

Brazil
12-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Ian is surely the first one to suffer of this situation, it must be very tough for him to be so close to his dream and not be able to grap the opportunity. I hope he will be ok and contribute this year for the spurs.