PDA

View Full Version : HOLY CRAP! How funny was it?

Buddy Holly
11-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Looking back at how almost everyone reacted when the Spurs drafted Hill?

I'll admit the initial "huh" and "Wtf?" I had after they drafted him. Only because I didn't think the back up point was our biggest need in the draft. And partly because he was off everyone's radar.

But the next day I was more understanding of the why they selected him and was willing to give him a chance to prove what Pop had to say about him. Though I know I was a minority in that regard as a lot of you wanted to murder the front office for not selecting CDR, Chalmers, Walker, Greene, etc.

T Park
11-24-2008, 11:12 PM
I fully admit I was 100% wrong.

Glad I was.

xtremesteven33
11-24-2008, 11:14 PM
yea i remember. i think i was the only one in the thread who like him...haha

GSH
11-24-2008, 11:15 PM
I fully admit I was 100% wrong.

Glad I was.

Put me down for one, too. I thought they could have picked up a player for trade-bait, and still got Hill in the second round. But I'm glad they didn't take a chance on missing him.

alchemist
11-24-2008, 11:16 PM
I was wrong about Hill and Mason, I tripped out when I heard they gave that much money to Mason (which has been totally worth it)

T Park
11-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Yeah I was really wary on Mason on because I felt he had a career year after last year and felt that it was a hasty move after getting shot down from Maggette

mystargtr34
11-24-2008, 11:18 PM
I personally wanted Chalmers. Only cause i knew nothing about Hill.

xtremesteven33
11-24-2008, 11:20 PM
I was thinking that Farmar was the best backup PG in the west but it looks like hes got some competition now....

Tully365
11-24-2008, 11:21 PM

I remember Mr Bottomtooth being an early supporter, too. I think I was the first to post draftexpress.com numbers about his incredible wingspan and 3/4 court sprint times being better than most.

ducks
11-24-2008, 11:24 PM
he is what I expected
he just is playing more minutes and getting more points
I expected his points per to be what his stats were

pop was in town you know

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-24-2008, 11:28 PM
He's looking good so far, but let's see what he does come post-season before we put the guy in the Hall.

xtremesteven33
11-24-2008, 11:29 PM
He's looking good so far, but let's see what he does come post-season before we put the guy in the Hall.

That doesnt matter. Nobody expects rookies to perform great in the playoffs. Thats when the Vets take over.

Rookies need to show themselves in the regular season.

ducks

be carefull agh
you would be considersed a hill hater with that talk:rolleyes

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
Hill Is The Shit! Hope We Can Keep Him When His Contract Is Up! We Always Seem To Get Someone Good N Loose Them. If Tony Ends Up Leaving Hill Will Be The Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ducks
11-24-2008, 11:30 PM
beno had a few good games his rookie season to

lets see him keep this up

T Park
11-24-2008, 11:31 PM

:lol

Who said anything about the hall?

T Park
11-24-2008, 11:31 PM

Yeah because Hill and Beno have the same psyche....

Buddy Holly
11-24-2008, 11:34 PM

Beno scored over 20 points once his rookie year and aside from that never went higher than 16 in a game, let alone 20 points three consecutive times. :lol

SequSpur
11-24-2008, 11:37 PM
beno is good though. unfortunately, pop made him nervous, but dude has an awesome contract now and is making some bank, but wgaf... hill is solid.

E20
11-24-2008, 11:37 PM
ducks already getting nervous about TP's position because of Hill. Priceless.

SequSpur
11-24-2008, 11:39 PM
you know what was funny, was I hated the fact that all they got was roger mason and shit, after seeing him play now, I think he is better and smarter than Tracy McGrady... :tu

Buddy Holly
11-24-2008, 11:39 PM
beno is good though.

Beno for all the talent he has cracks under pressure which is why he was dog poop here and he's quality starter in Sacra"notherlosingseason"mento.

T Park
11-24-2008, 11:42 PM
beno is good though. unfortunately, pop made him nervous, but dude has an awesome contract now and is making some bank, but wgaf... hill is solid.

No he couldn't lay off the breakfast burritos and the ladies...

Tully365
11-24-2008, 11:44 PM

:lol Mr Curmudgeon

tomtom
11-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Shit yeah I was totatlly wrong too, one I thought finley was gonna be a complete bust this year, didn't think hill was gonna do jack after summer league, and was pissed out of my mind that we got mason instead of maggette. :worthy: RC and Pop still got it!

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-25-2008, 12:26 AM
That doesnt matter. Nobody expects rookies to perform great in the playoffs. Thats when the Vets take over.

Um, look around. We're going to have to get past Houston, Denver, LAL, Phoenix... and then you've got Boston in the East.

It's going to take more than our over 35ers to run the post-season gauntlet.

jayc23
11-25-2008, 12:29 AM

doubtful...

gmanrulz
11-25-2008, 01:02 AM
chalmers aint too shabby either 23 points, 4 boards, 6 assists today 5-10 3s

T Park
11-25-2008, 01:07 AM
chalmers aint too shabby either 23 points, 4 boards, 6 assists today 5-10 3s

check the season stats and averaged minutes and see who so far is the better player.

sprrs
11-25-2008, 01:08 AM
Didn't LA or Boston have their eye on Hill as well? Just makes it that much sweeter that the Spurs managed to snatch him away.

gmanrulz
11-25-2008, 01:16 AM
check the season stats and averaged minutes and see who so far is the better player.

its too early to gauge whos the far better player

Obstructed_View
11-25-2008, 01:29 AM
Hill has a higher PER than any of the guys that were available when he was picked. Actually, I think he has a higher PER than Mayo, Rose and Beasley too.

Pero
11-25-2008, 04:23 AM

Cue for CryHavoc to tell you that regular season means shit, only playoffs matter. Your view also differs from most of ST.

polandprzem
11-25-2008, 04:25 AM
polandprzem was hoping for that kind of George Hill

Good that he is not disappointed

Pero
11-25-2008, 04:25 AM
Beno scored over 20 points once his rookie year and aside from that never went higher than 16 in a game, let alone 20 points three consecutive times. :lol

Yeah because Beno started so many games and got a lot of minutes. Oh wait, he didn't.

polandprzem
11-25-2008, 04:34 AM
who is Beno?

porscha
11-25-2008, 04:52 AM
I like Hill and he plays better D then tony

timvp
11-25-2008, 05:05 AM
Anybody who liked the pick right away only did it for homeristic reasons. No Spurs fans at the time had ever seen him play. LOL, WTF and OMG were three understandable reactions. And considering that Hill was likely the backup option to Batum, the Spurs probably themselves probably didn't know he'd be this good.

Hill looks like a great pick but I don't know a Spurs fan who can legitimately claim scoreboard.

polandprzem
11-25-2008, 05:18 AM
I love guys from nowhere making such impacts

And his attitude is phenomenal

-------------
Now I'm gonna kick some asses!

polandprzem
11-25-2008, 05:18 AM
:D

emote

mathbzh
11-25-2008, 05:31 AM
I didn't know much about him so I didn't like that pick much.
Props to the Spurs FO on that one :toast

It is great to finally have a rookie we can root for :downspin:
This season is becoming really exciting.

TheTruth
11-25-2008, 07:26 AM
I remember watching the draft and getting a text from a friend asking what the fuck an IUPUI was. I had no clue.

TDMVPDPOY
11-25-2008, 07:38 AM
hill>Parker

Brazil
11-25-2008, 08:26 AM
hill>CP3

urunobili
11-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Hill>Manu

Buddy Holly
11-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Hill>Gist. Yeah I said it.

fyatuk
11-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Anybody who liked the pick right away only did it for homeristic reasons. No Spurs fans at the time had ever seen him play. LOL, WTF and OMG were three understandable reactions. And considering that Hill was likely the backup option to Batum, the Spurs probably themselves probably didn't know he'd be this good.

Hill looks like a great pick but I don't know a Spurs fan who can legitimately claim scoreboard.

I certainly had no idea who he was, but at least I did know what IUPUI was. Then again, I don't really follow college basketball, so I didn't know who most of the draftees everyone wanted were either.

Brazil
11-25-2008, 09:00 AM
hill>duncan

DisAsTerBot
11-25-2008, 09:38 AM

doubtful...

SpurAddict561
11-25-2008, 10:02 AM
I really didn't doubt the pick at all

Pop and company had to know something special about the kid

come on now

[cough]Manu......Tony[cough]

florige
11-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Yep I was another one. I just chalked it up to crappy drafting that we have done over the last couple of seasons after we got Parker. I was so hurt that Maggette spurned us I really didn't give a crap.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-25-2008, 10:53 AM
I would have been wary of whoever they picked given the Spurs domestic draft record of late, but yeah, "WTF?" was expression of choice for me. He may possess less raw talent than Beno, but what's he's shown so far makes me think that there won't be an ounce of wasted potential with him. If nothing else he's got the qualities that tend to keep a guy out of Pop's doghouse. That'll keep him on the court, and that will keep him improving.

to21
11-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Hill>Jordan

Buddy Holly
11-25-2008, 11:57 AM
The draft night chat from what I remember when something like this.

Houston Rockets select Nicolas Batum

Username: Fuck!

Username: Holy shit! Fuck you Houston!

Username: Robbed again!

Username: Noooooo!

Username: Damn.

Username: Time to pick CDR! Or Greene.

Username: CDR!

Username: Chalmers time baby!

Spurs select George Hill.

Username: WTF!?

Username: What the fuck!!!

Username: WTF!!

Username: Fuck!!!!!!!

Username: Who?

Username: Oh my god, why am I not surprised the shitty front office picked… who!?

Username: What the fuck did they say his school name was????

Username: This sucks.

Username: Well, we suck even more.

Username: Why didn’t they draft Greene!!?

Username: Fuck this team! George who?

Username: Goddamn you Pop.

Username: George Hill?

Username: Hey, at least we’ll get a lottery pick next summer.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Looking back at how almost everyone reacted when the Spurs drafted Hill?

I'll admit the initial "huh" and "Wtf?" I had after they drafted him. Only because I didn't think the back up point was our biggest need in the draft. And partly because he was off everyone's radar.

But the next day I was more understanding of the why they selected him and was willing to give him a chance to prove what Pop had to say about him. Though I know I was a minority in that regard as a lot of you wanted to murder the front office for not selecting CDR, Chalmers, Walker, Greene, etc.

You have to believe the front office did their research, and weren't just throwing away a pick, but Hill was certainly not a sure thing.

He's been playing great so far, so as of now you have to give kudos to the front office for finding another potential diamond where others aren't looking.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-25-2008, 12:02 PM
The draft night chat from what I remember when something like this.

Houston Rockets select Nicolas Batum

Username: Fuck!

Username: Holy shit! Fuck you Houston!

Username: Robbed again!

Username: Noooooo!

Username: Damn.

Username: Time to pick CDR! Or Greene.

Username: CDR!

Username: Chalmers time baby!

Spurs select George Hill.

Username: WTF!?

Username: What the fuck!!!

Username: WTF!!

Username: Fuck!!!!!!!

Username: Who?

Username: Oh my god, why am I not surprised the shitty front office picked… who!?

Username: What the fuck did they say his school name was????

Username: This sucks.

Username: Well, we suck even more.

Username: Why didn’t they draft Greene!!?

Username: Fuck this team! George who?

Username: Goddamn you Pop.

Username: George Hill?

Username: Hey, at least we’ll get a lottery pick next summer.

(To make it more authentic)

easjer: Did Buford think IUPUI was his last name?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-25-2008, 12:20 PM

Fingaroll44
11-25-2008, 12:28 PM
I thought IUPUI was a prision.

LOL @ Hill leading the prison league in scoring

Fingaroll44
11-25-2008, 12:32 PM

Beno also carries a purse. Go Georgie babyyyyy!!!!!!:ihit

Tully365
11-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Funniest part of draft day: spurstalk critics who'd never seen Hill play absolutely certain that they knew better than Pop, who had watched him work out right before his own eyes.

ChumpDumper
11-25-2008, 01:45 PM
I supported the pick for homeristic reasons.

xtremesteven33
11-25-2008, 01:49 PM
I didnt support it cause i was a homer. I supported it based upon the scouting report that the analysts gave after he was chosen. Also after some research on my part i posted some YOUTUBE videos of him i liked what i saw based on talent and his playing style.

i also liked his build and his defensive mindset