PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Parker's Return 'Getting Close'

duncan228
11-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Parker's return 'getting close' (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Parkers_return_getting_close.html)
By Jeff McDonald

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — One star guard back from injury and one to go for the Spurs.

Manu Ginobili made his season debut Monday night in Memphis, completing 11-plus weeks of rehab from offseason ankle surgery. Next on the docket: getting Tony Parker back in the lineup as well.

Parker has been out since spraining his left ankle in a game against Miami on Nov. 7. Though no exact game has been targeted for Parker to return, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Monday the team should get its starting point guard back sooner, rather than later.

“He's getting close,” Popovich said. “It's not going to be three weeks. It's not going to be two weeks. It will probably be sooner than that.”

Parker is leading the Spurs in scoring this season, averaging 27.4 points in five games before getting hurt.

Originally, team doctors had put a four-week timetable on Parker's rehab. He seems on pace to beat that prognosis.

“He gets to work pretty quickly,” Popovich said. “He's like Manu. He wants to get back on the court.”

H-O-R-S-E hosed: It was seven hours before Ginobili was to play in his first game of the season Monday, and already things were not going to plan.

Ginobili lost a game of H-O-R-S-E. To Blake Ahearn.

The NBA's unofficial H-O-R-S-E champion, Ginobili dropped the post-shootaround match to Ahearn on what for him should have been a simple shot — a 15-footer from his knees.

“I must be a little rusty,” Ginobili joked afterward.

Ahearn, a backup point guard, has appeared in 15 games in his NBA career, including three this season for the Spurs. What he accomplished Monday morning might rank as his greatest NBA achievement.

And the only people around to witness it were a handful of teammates, Spurs staffers and two members of the media.

Ahearn still was basking in the glow of victory before Monday's game tipped off, but realized his glory will be short-lived.

“He's probably going to want a rematch soon,” Ahearn said.

Close to home: Head coach Eddie Jordan was fired Monday morning in Washington, victim of the Wizards' 1-10 start. Eight hundred miles to the west, Spurs guard Roger Mason Jr. felt the sting.

Mason played for Jordan for two seasons before signing a free-agent deal with the Spurs last offseason. He credits Jordan for giving him his big NBA break.

“I feel bad for Eddie and his family,” said Mason, who text-messaged condolences to Jordan upon hearing the news. “But that's the business of basketball. You can't trade the whole team, so you fire the coach.”

Jordan's ouster comes two days after the Oklahoma City Thunder fired P.J. Carlesimo, a former Spurs assistant and Popovich favorite.

T Park
11-24-2008, 11:40 PM
Thats a mistake I'm afraid, but ok...

mystargtr34
11-24-2008, 11:41 PM
Funny stuff.

SequSpur
11-24-2008, 11:43 PM
down down do ya thang do ya thang...

duncan228
11-25-2008, 12:14 AM
timvp, what does your Pop-speak decoder ring make of this?

“He's getting close,” Popovich said. “It's not going to be three weeks. It's not going to be two weeks. It will probably be sooner than that.”

ducks
11-25-2008, 12:15 AM
he will be out atleast a week

xtremesteven33
11-25-2008, 12:15 AM
one week??

haha

Spurtacus
11-25-2008, 12:20 AM
I don't know...seems like they are rushing it. The way he went on the ankle...

mVp
11-25-2008, 12:23 AM

I don't like how that sounds... I hope he's joking.

tmtcsc
11-25-2008, 12:30 AM
WTF ?? When have the Spurs ever rushed anyone back, much less their All Star PG ?

If Tony comes back early, it'll be because he's ready and cleared by the doctors. We are 13 games into the season and people in here think that the coaching staff wants to push Tony on the floor prematurely.

That's hilarious.

spursfan09
11-25-2008, 12:36 AM
Frankly I think that Tony Parker ankle injury is a chronic one, and one that will hinder. :( So why not let him play?

polandprzem
11-25-2008, 02:04 AM
timvp, what does your Pop-speak decoder ring make of this?

two games

Frickin spurs, they let Tony and manu rest a bit.
I don't believe Manu had an injury :D

SPURSGOAT
11-25-2008, 02:53 AM
hope they are letting TP fully heal... we can last a little while longer now that Manu is back without TP. Especially the way Hill and Mason have been playing.

yagozev
11-25-2008, 06:14 AM
Please, can someone explain me what is a H-O-R-S-E game?

Thanks!!! :rolleyes

polandprzem
11-25-2008, 06:51 AM
There is rodeo in San Antonio - the players are bringing a horse to training sessions. They while ridding horse try to hit the basket.
It is not easy but Ahearn was born in the farm and he developed there his skills

mystargtr34
11-25-2008, 07:21 AM
Lol

YoMamaIsCallin
11-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Please, can someone explain me what is a H-O-R-S-E game?

Thanks!!! :rolleyes

Wikipedia is your friend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_(game)#H-O-R-S-E

yagozev
11-26-2008, 05:36 AM
Thanks YoMamaIsCallin!!! I've search a little in the Web, but not find this article in Wikipedia.
And the game's explanation make sense with the Manu's habilities! :-)

mrspurs
11-26-2008, 05:49 AM
HORSE is for younger players. Some of us older players play PIG. And I to believe TP will be back in a no more then 2 weeks. His injury wasnt that bad. Not saying it was a small deal. But just like Manu, when TP says he is ready he will play. I cant believe that by now people still think Pop has the final say. If that were true Manu wouldnt have played in the Olympics. And for sure wouldnt have been playing already. Theses guys are startes not bench players. Pop doesnt really care how long his bench players take as long as they dont milk the clock. Like Brent and Bob. Funny how they're no longer here. Ive said it before, it has nothing to do with Pop or the team DR. And look at Manu now. I rest my case.