PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Ginobili Makes Triumphant Return

duncan228
11-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Ginobili makes triumphant return (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Ginobili_makes_triumphant_return.html)
By Jeff McDonald

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — In the end, it was the little things that Manu Ginobili missed the most.

The feel of a freshly taped pair of ankles. Browsing through a pregame scouting report. That all-important mid-afternoon nap. All the things that made him feel like a basketball player.

Injured since the Olympics, at times feeling like a ghost in the Spurs' locker room, Ginobili longed for the simple monotony of game day.

“When you are playing,” Ginobili said, “it's a whole different feeling on game day.”

Back in his routine, if not quite his groove, Ginobili made his long-awaited season debut in Monday's 94-81 win over Memphis at the FedEx Forum.

It was vintage, if abbreviated, Ginobili. He scored 12 points in 11 minutes, and kick-started the third-quarter run that helped the Spurs put the game away.

George Hill and Roger Mason Jr. led the way again for the Spurs, who have won six of eight. Hill had 20 points, his third consecutive game with at least that many, while Mason chipped in 18.

Ginobili made his grand entrance at the 5:34 mark of the first quarter, his first game action since injuring his ankle on Aug. 22 in Beijing. The FedEx Forum, half-full to begin with, barely yawned.

One minute and 27 seconds into his initial shift, Ginobili let fly his first field-goal attempt, a deep 3-point heave to beat the shot clock. Naturally, it swished.

Later, for a very brief moment in the third quarter, Ginobili took over.

Memphis had closed what had been a 10-point deficit to 49-46 with 6:39 left in the third. Enter Ginobili, who scored seven of his points in the next 2:39 to ignite a 23-9 quarter-closing run.

mystargtr34
11-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Is Mcdonald working over time.

Tully365
11-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Suddenly, the Olympics seem very very far away... and the nba playoffs, a little bit closer.

AnotherArgie
11-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Is Mcdonald working over time.

At least here, McDonald's only work 24hs on weekends.

/badjoke

mVp
11-24-2008, 11:54 PM
Manu looked good tonight, really good... he seems to be just fine, he'll be back in rhythm in no time.

benefactor
11-24-2008, 11:56 PM
Suddenly, the Olympics seem very very far away... and the nba playoffs, a little bit closer.
:tu :toast

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-24-2008, 11:56 PM
What's just as impressive is Roger "I EAT ALL OTHER BACKUP 2-GUARDS FOR LUNCH" Mason and George Hill continued to stay red hot.

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
11-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Hill N Mason R Gonna Be Big For Us This Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Manu U All Ready No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tomtom
11-25-2008, 12:07 AM
What's just as impressive is Roger "I EAT ALL OTHER BACKUP 2-GUARDS FOR LUNCH" Mason and George Hill continued to stay red hot.

:lol quite the catchy name you got there

duncan228
11-25-2008, 12:36 AM
The winning wall.

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/wallpaper_081124.jpg

T Park
11-25-2008, 12:39 AM
I thought his explosion didn't look great on his dunk, but other than that he seemed good for a guy sitting around for a couple months.

Manufan909
11-25-2008, 12:41 AM
I thought his explosion didn't look great on his dunk, but other than that he seemed good for a guy sitting around for a couple months.

+1

He most be really awesome if we complain about his dunking ability after him recovering for over 2 months.

cze1860
11-25-2008, 12:48 AM
welcome back,Manu

mytespurs
11-25-2008, 01:09 AM
The winning wall.

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/wallpaper_081124.jpg

oooh he looks so good in uniform! Welcome back Manu...we've missed you...take care and don't overdue....need a healthy manu for the next 12 months! :toast :king

Brox6
11-25-2008, 01:13 AM
Is he still limping?

duncan228
11-25-2008, 01:38 AM
A couple of quotes in this one.

Ginobili returns to help Spurs beat Grizzlies (http://www.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idUSTRE4AO18F20081125)

Manu Ginobili scored 12 points in his first game of the season to help the injury-riddled San Antonio Spurs to a 94-81 road win over the Memphis Grizzlies on Monday, their fifth victory in six games.

Ginobili, who played just 11 minutes, missed the first 12 games after ankle surgery but the Spurs (7-6) have recovered since starting the season with three losses in their opening five games.

"I wasn't thinking about a great game on my first one, so I'm happy with what I did," Ginobili told reporters. "I felt pretty good about it."

Ginobili made an immediate impact after entering the game in the first quarter, hitting his first two shots.

"It's a tremendous boost," Tim Duncan said of his team mate's return. "He played well.

"I think psychologically more than anything, having him on the floor and seeing him move around is going to be great for the team. I know it's great for me personally because it is good to start seeing our team getting back to full strength."

Rookie George Hill scored 20 and Roger Mason, who has started at point guard in place of the injured Tony Parker, 18 for San Antonio. Duncan chipped in with 14 points, 11 rebounds and four blocks.

"I'm a little bit out of shape game shape," Ginobili said. "I've been running a lot but the game shape is something that you get when you play and practice a lot."

O.J. Mayo led Memphis with 26 points, 23 in the second half. The Grizzlies have lost seven of their last eight games.

sook
11-25-2008, 01:40 AM
nice to see Manu back

This spurs team is showing a lot of heart.
You guys will be a top seed again after that rocky start

SPURSGOAT
11-25-2008, 01:50 AM
GINNNNNNOBLI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn I have been waiting for a looooong time to say that. LOL! :king

Obstructed_View
11-25-2008, 01:57 AM

Very well put. Post of the night.

polandprzem
11-25-2008, 01:58 AM
I'd rather eat at MacDonalds

cherylsteele
11-25-2008, 02:18 AM
Is he still limping?
I didn't see any limp on TV.

His conditioning didn't look to bad for a player that has been on the shelf for several months either. Rythym-wise he looked like he never missed a beat really.

DannyT
11-25-2008, 02:49 AM
he played all summer as well...so he played a lot more basketball then a lot of other folks and now he is fresh and ready like subway

angel_luv
11-25-2008, 11:21 AM
One minute and 27 seconds into his initial shift, Ginobili let fly his first field-goal attempt, a deep 3-point heave to beat the shot clock. Naturally, it swished.

:fro