PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Horry Goes To Springfield: An Extended Conversation

duncan228
11-25-2008, 02:55 PM
We've had this conversation before, but I thought this looked at both sides fairly well.

Mr. Horry Goes to Springfield: An Extended Conversation (http://48minutesofhell.blogspot.com/2008/11/mr-horry-goes-to-springfield-extended.html)

Although never considered a superstar, Robert Horry was a key member of several elite NBA teams for over a decade. He won 7 NBA Championships during his 16 years in the league. Only 8 other players have won as many championships, all 8 of whom were on the 1960's Celtics. The importance of Horry's contributions to the Houston, LA and San Antonio dynasties of the past decade and a half is undeniable. His late-game heroics alone earn him a place in NBA mythology. But was it enough to earn him a spot in the Basketball Hall of Fame? I brought together Kurt from Forum Blue and Gold (http://www.forumblueandgold.com/) and GrungeDave from The Dream Shake (http://www.thedreamshake.com/) to discuss this very question.

Graydon: I feel like the prevailing wisdom on this issue is that Horry was a role player. A great role player. Maybe even the greatest role player of all time. But fundamentally a role player, and therefore he does not deserve a spot in Springfield. That is exactly why I am going to turn it over to GrungeDave, who does not share that opinion. So, why does Robert Horry deserve a spot in the Hall of Fame?

Dave: Robert Horry is a Hall of Famer. The purpose of the Basketball Hall of Fame is to recognize the elite. Be it an elite scorer, an elite defensive player, or an elite distributor of the ball to teammates. There are no specific rules or requirements for "who" is qualified for the Hall. The facts are undeniable that Robert Horry was an essential and necessary piece of seven different championship teams. Without Horry, it is quite likely that none of these teams would have emerged victorious in that particular year. Furthermore, these seven championships were acquired by three different organizations.

In short, Robert Horry is the greatest winner of the modern era. Yes, even moreso than Michael Jordan. Horry has more championship rings than anyone not affiliated with the Celtics (whose own championships are watered-down given the fact that it was an 8-team league that intentionally limited the impact of African-American players).

Every single year Robert Horry played, his team made it to the playoffs.
And they never got bounced in the first round. Ever.

What made Horry great is he did whatever it took to win. Everyone knows about his penchant for clutch shooting. What is often overlooked is his willingness to do all the little things. Everything from a hockey assist, to taking a charge, to closing the passing lanes, to the flawless post-entry pass. These are not things that show up in a box score anywhere other than in the "W" and "L" columns. These just happen to be the most important statistics of all. And Horry made sure his teams filled the "W" columns every May and June.

It is no accident that Horry played in more playoff games than anyone in history. It was not just about picking the right teams or being aligned with the best players. Hakeem was never a champion until he met Horry. Same for Shaquille and Kobe. Tim Duncan admittedly would have 2 less rings if Horry was not there to bail him out in '05 and '07.

If being the greatest winner of your sport in a particular era is not enough, the Hall of Fame has problems.

Kurt: What exactly is elite about Horry? He's a nice player, he made some key shots, but he got those seven rings because he was fortunate enough to play with four of the 50 best players of all time (Hakeem, Duncan, Shaq, Kobe). Thanks to those players carrying the heavy load, being the real stars that influenced games, Horry was in a position to flourish in a supporting role where he could impact the game in very specific ways. Horry can hit three pointers in the clutch, but that is only a handy skill if you happen to be paired with three of the all time great post men ever to lace them up drawing them inside.

Horry never averaged more than 12 points a game for a season, and for his career averaged 7. I love the guy. He will always be part of Laker lore. But this guy is not someone who made the major contributions to wins for 48 minutes every night, he was the guy who hit the three at the end. Very differnet things. Famous. A fan favorite. But not a guy for the Hall.

While Horry's contributions were great, they were great moreso because of their timeliness (clutch factor) rather than great because of their cumulative effect on the game (steady contributions that dictate the flow of a game). To me, great players (the type of players that do belong in the hall; the type of players whose steady contributions effect the tone and flow of every game they're involved in) allowed Horry to flourish in a role that highlighted his abilities and allowed him to thrive in a supporting role where he could impact the game in very specific ways and concentrate on doing the smaller things that do contribute to wins (just not with the same magnitude that the great players contribute to wins). Horry would not be the player he was if he did not play with 4 of the greatest 50 players to ever lace them up.

Dave: You see, this is precisely the reason why players like Stephon Marbury, Latrell Sprewell, Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady and countless others will never be winners...... too many people pay too much attention to whether a player can make a box score look pretty and help their fantasy teams win.

While Horry did whatever was necessary to win, today's players - and many of the fans who follow the NBA - really only care whether someone can average 20 points or record a double-double (the most overrated stat ever).

The moment someone tries to justify Horry's value by citing simple statistics is the moment I realize that everyone completely misses the point.

But if it's statistics you want...

# of rings these "top 50" players would have if Robert Horry decided to stop being a basketball player at Alabama and instead be a math major:

Hakeem Olajuwon (0)
Shaquille O'Neal (0) -- No way Shaq gets the 4th ring without the experience gained from the 1st 3.
Kobe Bryant (0)
Tim Duncan (2) -- though 1999 barely counts.

[Ed. Note: The 1999 Championship absolutely counts. But I'll save that argument for a later date.]

Again, without Horry's immense contributions, these guys now being compared to the greatest of the great -- Hakeem, Shaq and Kobe -- would be more often compared to Ewing, Elgin Hayes and McGrady -- very good individual players but without the rings. Thus, they would never be seen as the true elite.

If the Hall of Fame can make room for every marginal player on the 50s and 60s Celtics squads, certainly it can recognize Horry for his own unique brand of greatness.

Kurt: think it's just as foolish to say that rings make a player great. Mark Madsen has rings. Great players like Charles Barkley do not. So, Mark belongs in the Hall before Chuck? The Hall of Fame is for great players, the best players of their generation, but your argument turns logic on its head. The Shaq and Kobe Lakers, for example, would have won titles with or without Horry, but Horry would never have gotten near a title without being paired with truly great players. Horry never scored more than 10 points a game in the playoffs when he won those rings with the Lakers, the Lakers did not win because of him anymore than they won because of Isaiah Rider or Brian Shaw. Derek Fisher, Rick Fox and Horrace Grant did more to get those Lakers rings than Horry, but you and many others are blinded by a few good shots. That shot at the end of the game counted just as much as Fisher's shot in the second quarter, but because it was dramatic your remember Horry's. Drama alone is not enough to get you into the hall.

Look, I get that Horry made clutch shots, and he was a fan favorite, but he was probably never better than the fourth best player on any of his teams (and, by the way, you are right that there are too many 60s role playing Celtics in the Hall). Nobody in their right mind is arguing Marbury belongs in the Hall because he could fill up a stat sheet (well, maybe Marbury himself is, but that goes back to the right mind thing). But, you need to be able to propel your team, to be the leading force that helps them win titles to be in the Hall of fame in my mind. Horry made some key shots, but he was standing on the shoulders of the people who did the real work, who really led the team through the first 47 minutes of a playoff game.

Dave: Three follow-up points...

1. Would Charles Barkley, Karl Malone and/or Patrick Ewing trade careers with Robert Horry right now if given the chance? I say yes.

2. I think Horry is actually *under*rated as a clutch shot-maker. Why? I can name exactly ONE time that Horry had a chance to win/tie a game in the playoffs and actually missed. That would be Game 5 in 2003 against San Antonio. There is not a single other time that he missed. His success rate for clutch shots will never again be matched.

3. You cite Mark Madsen and others... even Isaiah Rider... but the greatness of Horry is that he was able to win multiple rings with three different teams. No one else in the history of the league has ever done that. Getting lucky once is one thing... getting lucky twice is another... but by the third time you have to start ruling out the luck factor.

okay, make that four follow-up points... before Horry arrived in Houston, Hakeem was considered a malcontent and a disappointment. Before Horry arrived in L.A., Shaq was only known for getting swept out of the playoffs each and every season. Meanwhile, Kobe was known primarily for his airball-fest in Utah. Funny how perceptions change when you get a ring.

Kurt: Wow, all this time I thought Phil Jackson and Rudy Tomjonovich coached those championship teams, but according to your argument just having Horry on the team is what caused Shaq to play well with Kobe, and it was Horry's presence that matured Hakeem, not time and a good coach. I think I'm going to have Horry walk in the room where scientists are working to cure cancer, his presence may be the difference.

But I think that point highlights the biggest problem with your argument — you seriously overvalue Horry's contributions to those being championship teams. Horry is a good ball handler and shooter on the perimeter, But he was picked up by GMs who put him on teams with three of the all-time great post men, putting him in position to make some key shots. But, if you put him on Jordan's Bulls or Magic's Lakers, teams with more of a perimeter focus where he doesn't get those open looks, he doesn't make those teams noticeably better. However, put Shaq or Kobe or Hakeem or Duncan on those teams and they do get better. Because those are Hall of Fame players, guys who will make any team better.

Horry's never been an all star. Never been on an all NBA or defensive team. Never won an award of any kind. What Horry had was a very memorable career, far more memorable than the other guys you bandied about. Our kids will watch replays of his shots. But that is not the metric that gets you into the Hall.

Let's talk about guys not in the Hall of Fame. It hurts me to prop up a Celtic, but Dennis Johnson went to 5 all star games, was the finals MVP, won 4 titles, was all NBA twice (first team once), and all defensive 10 times, was top 10 in the MVP voting twice, and he's not in the Hall. Spencer Haywood was a 5 time all star, ABA MVP, 4 time all NBA and 1 time all ABA, twice a top 10 MVP vote getter. You can go on and on with Artis Gilmore, Bernard King, Sidney Moncreif, etc., etc. Horry's simply never come close to these achievements.

Graydon: Alright gentleman, this has been excellent. I have seriously thought about this topic in the past but both of you brought up points I had never previously considered. In all honesty, I'm still on the fence. This is your last opportunity to make a closing statement: Any points you have yet to make? Any points made by the other guy you have yet to address? Any kind words about Horry?

Dave: In closing, while I do not deny that Dennis Johnson, Artis Gilmore, Bernard King, Sidney Moncreif and others were very good to great players... this is not about them. This is about Robert Horry. And 20 years from now.... 50 years from now..... and maybe even 100 years from now, people will still be referencing Horry's routine springtime heroics. How many modern day players will really be remembered with such reverence? In my eyes, that's what makes a Hall of Famer.

Kurt: In closing, I hate being the guy who comes off ripping Robert Horry, because I really liked him as a player, he hit big shots for my team, he provided a lot of memories. Horry was very good at the things he could do, and was an underrated defender. He was a fan favorite for a reason. But, he was a role player, he was the supporting cast, and even if he was good in that role, to me the Hall of Fame is for the game's true superstars, the guys who can take control of an entire game and will their team to wins. The elite. And as much as I loved Horry the player, he was not that guy and not a Hall of Famer to me.

Graydon: After all this, I still remain undecided. I'm unconvinced by Kurt's argument regarding Dennis Johnson et al., but only because I believe those guys deserve to be in the hall and their absence shouldn't discount Horry. That being said, I'm unconvinced that Horry was as critical to earning those championships as Dave makes him out to be. He was, on the other hand, much more than a clutch shooter. He was one of the more sophisticated post players of his era. Personally, I have never placed that much importance on whether someone actually made it into the hall. Whether or not Horry is one day institutionally recognized as an elite player, he will still be a favorite of mine.

Allanon
11-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Rockets won 1 ring because of Horry
Lakers won won ring because of Horry
Spurs won 1 ring because of Horry

He definitely belongs in the Hall of Fame.

x8QtdbOE8xU
xp19op8uK1E
hYC95MziMJk

stxspurs
11-25-2008, 03:32 PM
i still hate the 99 yr complaints
everyone played the same amount of games...shortened season or not they still had stay healthy, everyone played 3+ games a week, spurs didnt get a better deal.....they were just better!

exstatic
11-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Horry has zero chance at the HOF. Zero. Look a the players who are enshrined because of an NBA career. None of them took November to April off every year.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-25-2008, 03:39 PM
Rockets won 1 ring because of Horry
Lakers won won ring because of Horry
Spurs won 1 ring because of Horry

He definitely belongs in the Hall of Fame.

x8QtdbOE8xU
xp19op8uK1E
hYC95MziMJk

Allanon, you should have posted Horry's big 3 in the Spurs/Pistons series for true Horry greatness. And he owed a little to Manu for the assist.

And he owed a little to Hakeem for the great assist in the Rockets/Sonics clip.

And he owed a little to Vlade for the great assist in the Sacto/LA clip (and the refs).

zepn
11-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Horry should make the Hall precisely BECAUSE he is a role-player. As the elite representative, the Patron Saint if you will, of role-players everywhere. And as an acknowledgement that Basketball is a team sport and no one would be in the Hall without the help of their role players.

PM5K
11-25-2008, 04:24 PM
They lost me when the guy said Robert Horry was greatest winner of the modern era, even moreso than Michael Jordan.

Horry has one more ring than Jordan, but I don't even have to explain the difference between the role Jordan played and the one that Horry played...

exstatic
11-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Horry should make the Hall precisely BECAUSE he is a role-player. As the elite representative, the Patron Saint if you will, of role-players everywhere. And as an acknowledgement that Basketball is a team sport and no one would be in the Hall without the help of their role players.

Wishing won't make it so. There are no NBA players in the HOF with stats remotely as bad as his.

Lakers_55
11-25-2008, 05:08 PM
This discussion was going in Basketball Center. I asked there if Horry might make a good coach. That's a way he could get in the hall...

Also, I am not certain if it's discussed, but going back to game 5 of the finals in 2005, If I remember it correctly, Horry hit a 3 at the end of the 3rd quarter and about 4 or 5 in the 4th. Did Larry Brown tell his players not to allow Horry to shoot a three? Particularly that last play when Rasheed ran over to double Manu, leaving Robert wide open for the dagger. A two would only have tied it...What, if anything, did Brown tell his players about Horry?

Galileo
11-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Horry has 261 threes in the playoffs, second of all time.

Horry scored more points in the playoffs than Oscar Robertson.

Galileo
11-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Horry is 12th of all time in playoff blocked shots.

zepn
11-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Wishing won't make it so. There are no NBA players in the HOF with stats remotely as bad as his.

I didn't "wish" for anything. And there are many HOFers with playoff stats that aren't remotely as good as Horry's.

ambchang
11-25-2008, 06:04 PM
As much as I love Horry, no role player in the modern era has made it to the Hall. Garfield Heard made one of the most memorable shots in the history of the finals, and yet he has no chance of getting in the hall. Vinnie Johnson made a huge shot in the finals, he has no chance in the hall. Same for John Paxson and Steve Kerr (who made multiple big shots himself).

Horry is a role player, a fantastic role player, and gives any team the flexibility it needs to compete at the highest level, but he does not carry the teams to victories.

FromWayDowntown
11-25-2008, 06:19 PM
As a point of reference -- understanding that stats don't necessarily make the man -- here are the NBA statistics for the 83 men who've played in the Hall of Fame and reached Springfield after their careers ended. It's worth noting (again) that of the 83 Hall of Famers who've played in the NBA, 44 were on the list of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA history and another 3 were on the Next 10 addendum that TNT did a few years ago. Thus, there are only 36 NBA players who've reached the Hall of Fame and weren't among the 50 greatest players in the history of the league. It's a pretty rare feat to be inducted as a player unless you're absolutely exceptional as a professional.

Anyway, here are the per game stats of the 83 NBA Hall of Famers (sorted according to PPG -- my completely arbitrary decision):

Year Name G PTS TRB AST STL BLK
1979 W. Chamberlain 1045 30.1 22.9 4.4
1977 Elgin Baylor 846 27.4 13.5 4.3
1980 Jerry West 932 27.0 5.8 6.7 0.1 0.0
1971 Bob Pettit 792 26.4 16.2 3.0
1980 Oscar Robertson 1040 25.7 7.5 9.5 0.1 0.0
1996 George Gervin 1060 25.1 5.3 2.6 1.2 1.0
2006 D. Wilkins 1074 24.8 6.7 2.5 1.3 0.6
1987 Rick Barry 1020 24.8 6.7 4.9 1.1 0.3
1995 K. Abdul-Jabbar 1560 24.6 11.2 3.6 0.7 2.0
2008 Adrian Dantley 955 24.3 5.7 3.0 1.0 0.2
1998 Larry Bird 897 24.3 10.0 6.3 1.7 0.8
1993 Julius Erving 1243 24.2 8.5 4.2 1.8 1.6
1987 Pete Maravich 658 24.2 4.2 5.4 0.9 0.2
1959 George Mikan 439 23.1 9.5 2.8
1978 Paul Arizin 713 22.8 8.6 2.3
1996 David Thompson 592 22.7 4.1 3.3 1.0 0.9
1993 Dan Issel 1218 22.6 9.1 2.4 0.8 0.4
2006 Charles Barkley 1073 22.1 11.7 3.9 1.5 0.8
2000 Bob McAdoo 852 22.1 9.4 2.3 0.9 1.3
2008 Hakeem Olajuwon 1238 21.8 11.1 2.5 1.7 3.1
1997 Alex English 1193 21.5 5.5 3.6 0.9 0.7
1986 B. Cunningham 770 21.2 10.4 4.3 0.5 0.1
2008 Patrick Ewing 1183 21.0 9.8 1.9 1.0 2.4
1990 Elvin Hayes 1303 21.0 12.5 1.8 0.7 1.4
1984 John Havlicek 1270 20.8 6.3 4.8 0.4 0.1
2004 Clyde Drexler 1086 20.4 6.1 5.6 2.0 0.7
2001 Moses Malone 1455 20.3 12.3 1.3 0.8 1.3
1990 Dave Bing 901 20.3 3.8 6.0 0.5 0.1
1993 Walt Bellamy 1043 20.1 13.7 2.4 0.0 0.0
1992 Bob Lanier 959 20.1 10.1 3.1 0.8 1.1
2002 Magic Johnson 906 19.5 7.2 11.2 1.9 0.4
1990 Neil Johnston 516 19.4 11.3 2.5
2000 Isiah Thomas 979 19.2 3.6 9.3 1.9 0.3
1996 George Yardley 472 19.2 8.9 1.7
1983 Jack Twyman 823 19.2 6.6 2.3
1982 Hal Greer 1122 19.2 5.0 4.0
1987 Walt Frazier 825 18.9 5.9 6.1 0.8 0.1
1991 Tiny Archibald 876 18.8 2.3 7.4 0.8 0.1
1990 Earl Monroe 926 18.8 3.0 3.9 0.5 0.1
1997 Bailey Howell 951 18.7 9.9 1.9
1992 Connie Hawkins 616 18.7 8.8 4.1 0.4 0.2
1982 Willis Reed 650 18.7 12.9 1.8 0.0 0.0
1996 Gail Goodrich 1031 18.6 3.2 4.7 0.5 0.1
1986 Tom Heinsohn 654 18.6 8.8 2.0
1973 Dolph Schayes 996 18.5 11.3 3.1
1971 Bob Cousy 924 18.4 5.2 7.5
1999 Kevin McHale 971 17.9 7.3 1.7 0.4 1.7
1993 Calvin Murphy 1002 17.9 2.1 4.4 1.2 0.1
1976 Bill Sharman 711 17.8 3.9 3.0
1984 Sam Jones 871 17.7 4.9 2.5
1978 Cliff Hagan 839 17.7 6.6 3.2
2003 James Worthy 926 17.6 5.1 3.0 1.1 0.7
1991 Dave Cowens 766 17.6 13.6 3.8 0.8 0.6
1960 Ed Macauley 641 17.5 6.7 3.2
1988 C. Lovellette 704 17.0 9.5 1.7
1980 Jerry Lucas 829 17.0 15.6 3.3 0.0 0.0
1989 Lenny Wilkens 1077 16.5 4.7 6.7 0.2 0.0
2004 Maurice Stokes 202 16.4 17.3 5.3
1978 Joe Fulks 489 16.4 2.8 1.2
2006 Joe Dumars 1018 16.1 2.2 4.5 0.9 0.1
1983 D. DeBusschere 875 16.1 11.0 2.9 0.1 0.0
2002 Drazen Petrovic 290 15.4 2.3 2.4 0.9 0.1
1975 Bill Russell 963 15.1 22.5 4.3
1985 Nate Thurmond 964 15.0 15.0 2.7 0.1 0.6
2003 Robert Parish 1611 14.5 9.1 1.4 0.8 1.5
1995 Vern Mikkelsen 699 14.4 8.5 2.2
1970 Bob Davies 462 14.3 2.1 4.9
1982 Frank Ramsey 623 13.4 5.5 1.8
1993 Bill Walton 468 13.3 10.5 3.4 0.8 2.2
1978 Jim Pollard 438 13.2 5.7 3.2
1991 Harry Gallatin 682 13.0 9.8 1.8
1983 Bill Bradley 742 12.4 3.2 3.4 0.3 0.1
1987 Bobby Wanzer 568 12.2 3.5 3.2
1998 Arnie Risen 637 12.0 7.9 1.7
1976 Tom Gola 698 11.3 7.8 4.2
1988 Wes Unseld 984 10.8 14.0 3.9 0.6 0.4
1982 Slater Martin 745 9.8 3.1 4.2
1987 Bob Houbregs 281 9.3 5.5 1.8
1961 Andy Phillip 701 9.1 3.4 5.4
1993 Dick McGuire 738 8.0 3.8 5.7
1985 Al Cervi 202 7.9 1.3 3.2
1989 K.C. Jones 676 7.4 3.5 4.3
1994 Buddy Jeannette 139 7.2 2.1

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-25-2008, 06:28 PM
This discussion was going in Basketball Center. I asked there if Horry might make a good coach. That's a way he could get in the hall...

Also, I am not certain if it's discussed, but going back to game 5 of the finals in 2005, If I remember it correctly, Horry hit a 3 at the end of the 3rd quarter and about 4 or 5 in the 4th. Did Larry Brown tell his players not to allow Horry to shoot a three? Particularly that last play when Rasheed ran over to double Manu, leaving Robert wide open for the dagger. A two would only have tied it...What, if anything, did Brown tell his players about Horry?

IIRC correctly he didn't mention Horry by name, but specifically said not to double off of the inbounder. Whether or not he assumed that would be Horry I don't know.

Though not as big as the killer 3 pointer, Horry's insane reaching dunk as Rip Hamilton tried to draw a charge was the really amazing play in my book.

exstatic
11-25-2008, 06:42 PM
I didn't "wish" for anything. And there are many HOFers with playoff stats that aren't remotely as good as Horry's.

Too bad it's not the playoff HOF.

FromWayDowntown
11-25-2008, 07:50 PM
To the extent that anyone might be interested, here's the same chart as above but with the playoff numbers of the NBA's Hall of Famers (for ease of comparison, it's sorted according to regular season PPG, just like the one posted before):

Year Name G PTS REB AST
1979 W. Chamberlain 160 22.5 24.5 4.2
1977 Elgin Baylor 134 27.0 12.9 4.0
1980 Jerry West 153 29.1 5.6 6.4
1971 Bob Pettit 88 25.5 14.8 2.7
1980 Oscar Robertson 86 22.2 6.7 8.9
1996 George Gervin 59 27.0 5.8 3.2
2006 D. Wilkins 56 25.4 6.7 2.6
1987 Rick Barry 74 24.8 5.6 4.6
1995 K. Abdul-Jabbar 237 24.3 10.5 3.2
2008 Adrian Dantley 73 21.3 5.4 2.3
1998 Larry Bird 164 23.8 10.3 6.5
1993 Julius Erving 141 21.9 7.0 4.2
1987 Pete Maravich 26 18.7 3.7 3.8
1959 George Mikan 60 23.0 13.9 2.2
1978 Paul Arizin 49 24.2 8.2 2.6
1996 David Thompson 27 22.9 4.3 3.7
1993 Dan Issel 53 19.4 7.4 2.7
2006 Charles Barkley 123 23.0 12.9 3.9
2000 Bob McAdoo 94 18.3 7.6 1.4
2008 Hakeem Olajuwon 145 25.9 11.2 3.2
1997 Alex English 68 24.4 5.5 4.3
1986 B. Cunningham 39 19.4 9.1 3.2
2008 Patrick Ewing 139 20.2 10.3 2.0
1990 Elvin Hayes 96 22.9 13.0 1.9
1984 John Havlicek 172 22.0 6.9 4.8
2004 Clyde Drexler 145 20.4 6.9 6.1
2001 Moses Malone 94 22.1 13.8 1.4
1990 Dave Bing 31 15.4 2.7 4.3
1993 Walt Bellamy 46 18.5 14.8 3.0
1992 Bob Lanier 67 18.6 9.6 3.5
2002 Magic Johnson 190 19.5 7.7 12.3
1990 Neil Johnston 23 15.0 11.2 3.3
2000 Isiah Thomas 111 20.4 4.7 8.9
1996 George Yardley 46 20.3 9.9 2.4
1983 Jack Twyman 34 18.3 7.5 1.8
1982 Hal Greer 92 20.4 5.5 4.3
1987 Walt Frazier 93 20.7 7.2 6.4
1991 Tiny Archibald 47 14.2 1.6 6.5
1990 Earl Monroe 82 17.9 3.2 3.2
1997 Bailey Howell 86 16.3 8.1 1.5
1992 Connie Hawkins 12 19.3 11.4 4.8
1982 Willis Reed 78 17.4 10.3 1.9
1996 Gail Goodrich 80 18.1 3.1 4.2
1986 Tom Heinsohn 104 19.8 9.2 2.1
1973 Dolph Schayes 97 19.5 12.2 2.6
1971 Bob Cousy 109 18.5 5.0 8.6
1999 Kevin McHale 169 18.8 7.4 1.6
1993 Calvin Murphy 51 18.5 1.5 4.2
1976 Bill Sharman 78 18.5 3.7 2.6
1984 Sam Jones 154 18.9 4.7 2.3
1978 Cliff Hagan 90 20.4 8.3 3.4
2003 James Worthy 143 21.1 5.2 3.2
1991 Dave Cowens 89 18.9 14.4 3.7
1960 Ed Macauley 47 13.8 6.8 2.9
1988 C. Lovellette 69 14.0 8.1 1.3
1980 Jerry Lucas 72 12.4 10.0 3.0
1989 Lenny Wilkens 64 16.1 5.8 5.8
2004 Maurice Stokes 1 12.0 15.0 2.0
1978 Joe Fulks 7 12.0 5.6 0.7
2006 Joe Dumars 112 15.6 2.3 4.6
1983 D. DeBusschere 96 16.0 12.0 2.6
2002 Drazen Petrovic 29 10.2 1.8 1.4
1975 Bill Russell 165 16.2 24.9 4.7
1985 Nate Thurmond 81 11.9 13.6 2.8
2003 Robert Parish 184 15.3 9.6 1.3
1995 Vern Mikkelsen 85 13.4 8.0 1.8
1970 Bob Davies 34 13.5 2.4 4.4
1982 Frank Ramsey 98 13.6 5.0 1.5
1993 Bill Walton 49 10.8 9.1 3.0
1978 Jim Pollard 62 13.7 8.1 3.5
1991 Harry Gallatin 58 12.0 11.2 1.6
1983 Bill Bradley 95 12.9 3.5 2.8
1987 Bobby Wanzer 34 15.2 5.8 3.7
1998 Arnie Risen 57 12.7 10.2 1.3
1976 Tom Gola 39 11.1 10.0 4.6
1988 Wes Unseld 119 10.6 14.9 3.8
1982 Slater Martin 92 10.0 3.4 3.8
1987 Bob Houbregs 23 8.8 5.9 1.6
1961 Andy Phillip 60 5.9 3.3 3.9
1993 Dick McGuire 63 8.3 4.9 5.6
1985 Al Cervi 27 8.0 2.7 3.9
1989 K.C. Jones 105 6.4 3.0 3.8
1994 Buddy Jeannette

Obstructed_View
11-25-2008, 07:52 PM
In the regular season you make your name...

Until they change it to the Hall of Name, I say Horry should be in.

duncan228
11-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the work FWD.

Horry's career:

Games: 1107

Rebounds: 4.8
Assists: 2.1

Playoffs:

Games: 244

Rebounds: 5.6
Assists: 2.4

phyzik
11-25-2008, 08:22 PM

thats exactly what the Hall of Fame is supposed to represent in my mind. It should highlight those with superb skills on the court, for sure, but it should also highlight the common man rising above his talents.

Whats more impressive? The do-all man, borderline supperhero, who we all know can succeed? or the Joe Schmoe who steps up and succeeds at the same task?

I think you know what Im more impressed with.

when your a guy who averages barely 12 or so points a game, and 7 for your career, but yet those same people that are a lock for the hall of fame fear you near the end of the game.... that has to say something.

exstatic
11-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Not going to happen.

zepn
11-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Too bad it's not the playoff HOF.

Too bad for you (and fantastic for the rest of us) it's not YOUR decision who makes it into the Hall.

sprrs
11-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Horry has 261 threes in the playoffs, second of all time.

Horry scored more points in the playoffs than Oscar Robertson.

He's also first in three pointers made in the Finals.

tav1
11-25-2008, 09:45 PM
It's strange to read these comments, because the discussion in the comment section of the blog seems anti-Horry. There is a stronger pro-Horry sentiment here.

mystargtr34
11-25-2008, 09:51 PM
I always laugh when i see Wilt's stats in the playoffs compared to the regular season.

Dude was a choker.

zepn
11-25-2008, 10:11 PM
There are no NBA players in the HOF with stats remotely as bad as his.

1994 Buddy Jeannette 139 7.2 2.1