PDA

View Full Version : trade tools

silk
11-25-2008, 03:30 PM
First of all, i don't want any trades to be made ( i'm a firm believer in mahinmi the savior)

But, we heard many times that outside of our big three, none of our others players make appeal for others gm

Right now, these others gm seems not so bright; most of our role player are pretty solid bet ; champions ( bruce, fab), solid vets, good contracts in length and size ( bonner, udoka), potential( mason, hill, mahinmi)

And splitter is no slouch either, despite the problems getting him in there

So, a trade doesn't have to be made, but, in paper, we have better tools than expected to make one...

We can also see the depth in backcourt and the somewhat lack of depth in frontcourt, would you trade hill and/or mason for a solid forward, swing ?

It seems like the worst it looks at the beginning, the better it gets at the end ( mason, hill.. and the reverse, damon stoudamire for instance looked good in the beginning and then...)

PS; the front office obviously still is one of the best, i love it when they strike "gold" with some unknown player, most of us wouldn't have even think of getting mason or hill, or even keeping bonner and finley, who are doing a fine job right now

Tully365
11-25-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm still wondering about Splitter.... If I remember correctly, he has an opt-out option on his Tau contract. Is there some way the Spurs can renounce their rights to him and then offer him more money to come over?

Adding Gist and Splitter next year would pretty much do it for me. Then/or go for Bosh in 2010.

ducks
11-25-2008, 03:38 PM
hill looks like a good trade assest if spurs have other pressing needs
not for trading hill for a scrub though

Big P
11-25-2008, 03:47 PM
IF...IF...we can get Splitter over here, IMO our bigman roster would be taking shape..sure Mahinmi & Splitter are still new to the NBA, I think they can develope nicely, which is why I have been saying for the last 3 years, we need a SF who can score...for example Martell Webster..alot of people are saying we need a scoring center, but I think if we can get Splitter over, we have that covered, invest in a scoring SF to create mismatches.

DROB4EVER
11-25-2008, 03:55 PM
The spurs dont need much and Im kinda pissed they dont seemed to be looking to get better at the 3 and 5 spots. Ian may end up being great, but adding a cheap younger big who can help out on the boards should be addressed and can be done with future picks or contracts.

Jv is a good trade chip, lots of teams looking for a backup pg who is paid a reasonble salary.

The SF spot can be upgraded for little as well. Look at Carney, a 6-7 athlete that reminds me of a young C Butler form washington. He is getting no PT in Minn and could be had for nothing.

I. Hustle
11-25-2008, 03:57 PM
It's hard to think of the future of the team. I was young but I went to games right before we got D Rob so he was the face of the team then when we got Timmy both were there and right away Tim was a big time player. It is hard to imagine any of the new guys or even someone that isn't on the team yet being the new face after Tim leaves. Yeah we have Tony but will he be the franchise player?

Tully365
11-25-2008, 03:58 PM
2009/10-- contracts of Udoka & Vaughn will be finished

Parker/Hill/3rd stringer
Manu/Mason/Finley
Bowen/Hairston?/Gist?
Duncan/Oberto/Bonner
Splitter/Mahinmi/Thomas

Great team.

silk
11-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Answering "I Hustle", in my opinion, if we don't get bosh in 2010, then the spurs run will come to a beautiful end with the retirement of Timmy and Pop

Spurs fans should not forget how lucky they are right now, still in the middle of this run

I Love Me Some Me
11-25-2008, 04:04 PM

Parker/Hill/3rd stringer
Manu/Mason/Finley
Bowen/Hairston?/Gist?
Duncan/Oberto/Bonner
Splitter/Mahinmi/Thomas

Great team.

I'm of the opinion that if George Hill progresses to become a solid NBA point guard, Tony may become a tradeable asset prior to 2010, or could be used in a sign-and-trade so a big time FA can get the money they want, play for us, and leave the Spurs with cap room to get a second big name FA.

MrChug
11-25-2008, 04:08 PM

Parker/Hill/3rd stringer
Manu/Mason/Finley
Bowen/Hairston?/Gist?
Duncan/Oberto/Bonner
Splitter/Mahinmi/Thomas

Great team.

That's 15 people on an active roster.

Bruno
11-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Please, can we wait a little before saying what kind of trades Spurs should do ?
Right now, the team hasn't played a single game 100% healthy, has only played 13 games and has faced only few good teams.

Right now, there isn't a clear picture about what Spurs needs, who should be traded and who Spurs should try to target. It's also possible that Spurs don't need a trade.

silk
11-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Yes bruno, this is what i told in the opening post, and right now it's not so much about trades of this player for this one, than about the possibility or not to make trades in some future

i think it's an interesting discussion, which is sure to deviate into a trade tony for xx but even then, i see no reason to come and forbid posters to talk about it if it helps expressing and developping their thoughts

K-State Spur
11-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Well, one promising thing with Splitter is that the Euro has lost almost 25% of its value vs. the dollar compared to when he re-upped with Tau.

yavozerb
11-25-2008, 04:49 PM
I thought Splitter did not have a buyout until 2010?

Bruno
11-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Yes bruno, this is what i told in the opening post, and right now it's not so much about trades of this player for this one, than about the possibility or not to make trades in some future

i think it's an interesting discussion, which is sure to deviate into a trade tony for xx but even then, i see no reason to come and forbid posters to talk about it if it helps expressing and developping their thoughts

I forbid nothing. I just find that it's quite meaningless at that point of the season.
An example: 3 weeks ago, the consensus was that Finley and Bonner were horrible and should be traded. Now, the consensus is the same.

Today, the consensus is Spurs need an upgrade at PF/C. Maybe in 3 weeks, Oberto and Thomas will be back at last year level and Mahinmi will show promising things. In this case, Spurs will have a damn fine frontcourt.

dbestpro
11-25-2008, 04:58 PM
I agree that we need an active big in some way shape or form by the playoffs. Reasonable trade assets include Splitter, Vaughn, Bonner, Udoka, Finley and Thomas.
Finley and Thomas cannot be traded prior to December 15.

silk
11-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Today, the consensus is Spurs need an upgrade at PF/C. Maybe in 3 weeks, Oberto and Thomas will be back at last year level and Mahinmi will show promising things. In this case, Spurs will have a damn fine frontcourt.[/QUOTE]

This is also what i think. But, i don't think previous thoughts are meaningless, they would be meaningless if we had more insurance about thomas, bonner, and oberto's plays. It's obviously not the case right now, and even if i'm somewhat irrationally sure that our frontcourt will get to an adequate level, thinking about the alternatives is justified just as much

Besides, thanks for your reports on drafts days ( very late but i got to watch them recently )

mrspurs
11-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Thou this thread starter has alot of heart for their spurs. And I agree everyone should. I think maybe they're looking at the games we played so far. When the POs start, that when you wont see guys like Hill or Bonner play much. Never the less AT. And Fab and Kurt will be doing the same as right now. Splitting up the games with nothing more then making sure we have 5 guys on the court. When the POs start, inside the paint is where teams make stops. And like last season, with this current roster we will have to outscore teams, because we wont be making stops. Tim couldnt do it alone last season. And Im sure the FO knows Tim wont do it alone this season. If the FO doest bring in a solid big.(and Ian isnt it, or he wouldnt be in mickey mouse town austin), then dont get your hopes up to high. The FO has done a fine job of finding smalls to help the 1 and 2 spots. But after that, the other teams have strong 3,4 and 5 guys, That will show up and be ready come PO time.