PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on our beloved Mavs tonight

Ghazi
11-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Our beloved Mavs took down a pretty decent Pacers squad 109-106 to improve to 7-7 with a 5 game win streak.

The perimeter shooting was vexing yet again, but Terry/Kidd made some big time 3-PT shots in the 4th.

Terry, Dirk, Wright, and Kidd had great games.

The defense was suspect...allowing 106 points to a team coming in ranked 20th in efficiency... but I really thought the Pacers offensive execution was nice. Some shots I could live with the Mavs allowing, and the Pacers just made them.

Picked up in 4th quarter though, basically holding them to 20 points if we disregard the irrelevant buzzer beating 3 by Jack.

Gave up too many second chance points, unusual as we were T5 in defensive rebounding coming in.

Pacers squad looks nice with shooting big men like Murphy, Foster, and Nesterovic, athleticism on the wings w/ Granger, Daniels, and Rush and a decent PG tandem of Ford/Jack.

Great game from Wright. Man he really looked nice tonight and attacked the basket. The question is whether this game was an anomaly. If he can play like that consistency, the mavs are scary!

Findog
11-25-2008, 11:17 PM
The Wright performance is obviously an anomaly until he shows he can do that on a more consistent basis.

sook
11-25-2008, 11:35 PM
Mediocre performance vs a bad team.

Nonetheless a win, nice work

Ghazi
11-25-2008, 11:41 PM
I wouldn't call the Pacers bad.

Ghazi
11-26-2008, 12:34 AM
Furthermore, didnt' the Rockets have a close win against the Wizards on Friday? You made a post like this in the Mavs forum as well. LAME!

It's an 82 game season, the Pacers are good enough to hang w/ the Mavs on a given night... ESPECIALLY WITH our 2nd best scorer out (although Wright filled in nicely).

mavsfan1000
11-26-2008, 12:49 AM
I think Wright should be the starter when Howard comes back. Terry is too weak defensively to be a starter imo.

Ghazi
11-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Terry hasn't been starting, although he gets starter minutes.

Sure why not if Wright can play like that on a consistent basis... but I don't think he can.

Shawne Williams was whack yet again tonight btw.

Green and Wright have shown flashes... will one of them emerge and give us some relief at the 2 guard spot? TUNE IN AND FIND OUT!

Allanon
11-26-2008, 02:18 AM
The Mavs have been looking much better these days. Sure there are some sloppy plays but they seem to have found out HOW to win.

Lakers get re-tested by the new Mavs this Friday, both teams coming in with a 5 game streak on the line should make it a good one.

sribb43
11-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Great game from Wright. Man he really looked nice tonight and attacked the basket. The question is whether this game was an anomaly. If he can play like that consistency, the mavs are scary!

Dude made all layups. Anything outside of the paint he bricked.

monosylab1k
11-26-2008, 09:08 AM
They took care of business. Kinda disappointing that they played so flat despite all the rest, but whatever.

Show me something against the Lakers and I'll be a believer again.

monosylab1k
11-26-2008, 09:10 AM
and 2-guard by committee is only going to work for so long.

stretch
11-26-2008, 09:30 AM
and 2-guard by committee is only going to work for so long.

Not saying its a smart idea or anything, but actually in 2002-2003, Dallas was doing that, going between Raja Bell, Adrian Griffin, and Eduardo Najera and they still won 60 games and got to the WCF. Usually it depended on their opponent for who started. For instance, they would use Bell for extra 3pt shooting and defense, Griffin for extra size and strength, and Najera for the rebounding and hustle.

They could possibly do the same. Wright for defense and slashing. Green for athleticism and 3pt range. Terry for scoring and speed. But I still would much rather them find someone and be set with them.

monosylab1k
11-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Not saying its a smart idea or anything, but actually in 2002-2003, Dallas was doing that, going between Raja Bell, Adrian Griffin, and Eduardo Najera and they still won 60 games and got to the WCF. Usually it depended on their opponent for who started. For instance, they would use Bell for extra 3pt shooting and defense, Griffin for extra size and strength, and Najera for the rebounding and hustle.

They could possibly do the same. Wright for defense and slashing. Green for athleticism and 3pt range. Terry for scoring and speed. But I still would much rather them find someone and be set with them.

Just as long as it isn't Dick Breath, I'll be happy.

stretch
11-26-2008, 09:36 AM
The defense was suspect...allowing 106 points to a team coming in ranked 20th in efficiency... but I really thought the Pacers offensive execution was nice. Some shots I could live with the Mavs allowing, and the Pacers just made them.

Personally, I didn't think the defense was that bad at all. In fact, I felt that it was quite good, however the Mavericks piss-poor rebounding (early on especially) gave Indy an extra shitload of shots. If the Mavs simply rebounded better, they probably would have beat Indy by 15. The rebounding was absolutely atrocious.

The thing I like most about Wright is that he is a very good finisher at the rim. If they would start running more fast breaks, his effectiveness for this team will improve tremendously. That's why they need Howard back so that the rebounding will be better. That, and Howard needs to simply be more willing to give the ball to Kidd on the fast break.

stretch
11-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Just as long as it isn't Dick Breath, I'll be happy.

:tu

fitzgerald
11-26-2008, 09:45 AM
I just wish we could get some low post scoring but we all know Damp and Diop just suck. That is really the only thing missing. Trade Josh and get something down low. Kaman?

monosylab1k
11-26-2008, 10:06 AM
I just wish we could get some low post scoring but we all know Damp and Diop just suck. That is really the only thing missing. Trade Josh and get something down low. Kaman?

I'd do it in a heartbeat, but Donnie Nelson has told us time and again that Josh Howard is a top 5 player in this league and capable of dominating at both ends of the floor against the likes of LeBron James and Kobe.

jack sommerset
11-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Kidd nailed two big threes in the 4th. He has been shooting better withe Mavs.

Shank
11-26-2008, 10:53 AM
I cringe whenever Dick Breath enters the game now. I can't foresee his dumb ass doing one positive thing for this team this year unless it's packing his shit to move out in a trade.

stretch
11-26-2008, 11:13 AM
I cringe whenever Dick Breath enters the game now. I can't foresee his dumb ass doing one positive thing for this team this year unless it's packing his shit to move out in a trade.

Quiz: More useless?

Deaven George or Antoine Rigedeau (or however you spell it) ?

mavs>spurs2
11-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Fuck 2 guard by committee..give those minutes to Wright if he can put together more games like last night. I'm all for starting Green at the 2 and Wright at the 3 and shipping Howard for Kaman. Green and Wright might be inconsistent at first but giving them minutes is the only way to develop them and it's a risk I'm willing to take at this point.

Watching Howard not give a shit and play horrendous defense while young guys with so much potential are on the bench just makes me want to turn off the tv every time

monosylab1k
11-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Fuck 2 guard by committee..give those minutes to Wright if he can put together more games like last night. I'm all for starting Green at the 2 and Wright at the 3 and shipping Howard for Kaman. Green and Wright might be inconsistent at first but giving them minutes is the only way to develop them and it's a risk I'm willing to take at this point.

Watching Howard not give a shit and play horrendous defense while young guys with so much potential are on the bench just makes me want to turn off the tv every time

:tu

the future of this team is Gerald Green and Shawne Williams. They're gonna be inconsistent but you've gotta give them time now.

sribb43
11-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Our beloved Mavs took down a pretty decent Pacers squad 109-106 to improve to 7-7 with a 5 game win streak.

The perimeter shooting was vexing yet again, but Terry/Kidd made some big time 3-PT shots in the 4th.

Because that guys cant shoot 3's continue to shoot them...ie Antoine Wright, Shawne Williams, George, and Singleton combined for 0-9:bang. you take those 4 guys out and the mavs shoot 5-10 which is 50% compared to 5-19. Wright shooting 5 threes in a game is a bit excessive

Honestly the only guys that should have the green light to pull 3's are Kidd, Dirk and JET. Some of the three's those guys took were wide open which i dont mind its when a guy is closing out on them that they still shoot it instead of putting it on the floor and getting to the basket

sribb43
11-26-2008, 02:36 PM
double post

Ghazi
11-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Because that guys cant shoot 3's continue to shoot them...ie Antoine Wright, Shawne Williams, George, and Singleton combined for 0-9:bang. you take those 4 guys out and the mavs shoot 5-10 which is 50% compared to 5-19. Wright shooting 5 threes in a game is a bit excessive

Honestly the only guys that should have the green light to pull 3's are Kidd, Dirk and JET. Some of the three's those guys took were wide open which i dont mind its when a guy is closing out on them that they still shoot it instead of putting it on the floor and getting to the basket

True, but that's the problem IMO. It would be nice to have ATLEAST 1 shooter coming off the bench. A particular reason why the benches of the Jazz, Lakers, Celtics, Rockets, etc is good is because they have 1-2 shooters off the bench.

Anywho, regarding Howard for Kaman.Cmon now. I think there's a lot of Kaman overrating going on around here! I hear this discussion on d-m.com as well... I think it would be a lateral move at best. True upgrades are when you trade spares for a good player. A good player for a good player is lateral IMO.

sribb43
11-26-2008, 03:06 PM
yes, a shooter at the wing position is another glaring hole that the mavs have

monosylab1k
11-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Anywho, regarding Howard for Kaman.Cmon now. I think there's a lot of Kaman overrating going on around here! I hear this discussion on d-m.com as well... I think it would be a lateral move at best.

You can't expect people to take you seriously when you say things like this.

Name me every legitimate true center in this league who averages a double-double a night and has low post skills on offense. Name them all. And I'm not talking PF's who can get away with playing center from time to time like Duncan or Amare. I am talking about legitimate centers. How many? Shaq, Yao, Dwight Howard, Kaman, and who else? Name them all.

Meanwhile I can name 20 swingmen who do EXACTLY what Josh Howard does, and some do it better. Josh Smith, Gerald Wallace, Ron Artest, Jason Richardson, Andre Iguodala, Rudy Gay, Caron Butler, Luol Deng, Danny Granger, Richard Jefferson, Andrei Kirilenko, Shawn Marion, Travis Outlaw, Tayshaun Prince, Al Thornton, Thaddeus Young....and I'm sure I'm missing a buch more.

This is what makes Mavs fans un-freaking-believable. A solid true center is supposedly on the market, something that we haven't had in TWENTY FUCKING YEARS, and we're bitching about having to give up a guy whose skill set is mimicked by countless people throughtout the league. "We Love Our Team" syndrome at it's best.

Ghazi
11-26-2008, 03:18 PM
It's true there's more "JHos" in the league than "kamans", but who on our roster can mimick what Jho does?

That's why it would be a lateral move IMO IMHO FWIW.

Up until this year, Kaman hasn't had the efficiency of a true center anyway. He shoots under 50% for his career, and doesn't get to the line often which is what centers are "suppoesd to do". But he is shooting 57% this year though, so maybe he is peaking this year or something.

monosylab1k
11-26-2008, 03:20 PM
It's true there's more "JHos" in the league than "kamans", but who on our roster can mimick what Jho does?

Do we really need someone to play lazy defense, chuck stepback jumpers, and never pass the ball?

Say what you will about Williams/Singleton/Wright but they're playing with energy and heart. Williams is a terrific shooter who will find his stroke eventually. Singleton and Wright aren't great scorers but they will keep the energy and defensive intensity high.

Not to mention that less Josh Howard means more times where the ball is in Kidd and JET's hands. Nothing irritates me more than Josh trying to play point forward and taking the ball up the court, pretending Kidd isn't there. Sometimes I think the only reason he rebounds so well is because he wants to take control of the offense instead of giving it up to Kidd.

It comes as no surprise to me that we're playing significantly better without Josh Howard.

sribb43
11-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Kaman is only 26 years old and is a legitimate center. He has an array of post moves and can shoot a jumper from 15-18 feet. He is a well rounded center. Instead of having the opposing center dropping 15 ft off our centers and just setting in the lane it would open more driving lanes to the basket.

However if the mavs get Kaman they would need to move Diop or Damp bc this team doesnt need 3 centers

monosylab1k
11-26-2008, 03:25 PM
However if the mavs get Kaman they would need to move Diop or Damp bc this team doesnt need 3 centers

At this point I'd dump Diop for a 2nd round pick, assuming anyone would offer us that. This year Damp has been very solid, all things considered, and I'm liking his effort.

sribb43
11-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Do we really need someone to play lazy defense, chuck stepback jumpers, and never pass the ball?

Say what you will about Williams/Singleton/Wright but they're playing with energy and heart. Williams is a terrific shooter who will find his stroke eventually. Singleton and Wright aren't great scorers but they will keep the energy and defensive intensity high.

Not to mention that less Josh Howard means more times where the ball is in Kidd and JET's hands. Nothing irritates me more than Josh trying to play point forward and taking the ball up the court, pretending Kidd isn't there.

It comes as no surprise to me that we're playing significantly better without Josh Howard.

While im all for a Kaman J-ho deal...Wright/Singleton/Williams are not the answer at the 3. They would need to acquire someone a step above those mentioned above at that position

sribb43
11-26-2008, 03:26 PM
At this point I'd dump Diop for a 2nd round pick, assuming anyone would offer us that. This year Damp has been very solid, all things considered, and I'm liking his effort.

agreed....Damp is actually showing heart and hustle this year. Diop is just trash