PDA

View Full Version : Official Spurstalk Vote

Cant_Be_Faded
11-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Is George Hill the "Chosen Son of San Antonio"?

This position/title has been left vacant since the departure of Antonio Daniels summer of 2002.

I say yes. I've been waiting for a sign. Not even Parker got three straight 20 point games at this stage in his career. Back in 2002 I wanted to give this title to Parker, but as the season progressed I felt he actually leapfrogged this position and firmly established himself as "THE Spurs point guard".

Just for reference, I define Chosen Son of San Antonio as the youngest, most good-looking, most up and comingest Spur, with a game that can't be labeled as "herky jerky, helter skelter" etc, basically, they have to flat out ball.

For all of you homer nutsuckers, this isn't a poll asking if he's better than Parker. Please read this post over again if you think that.

So here it is. Is he the Chosen One?

E20
11-25-2008, 11:20 PM
I voted yes, but IMO it's too early to tell. However, I am loving it how he is panning out and playing aggressive and well.

MrChug
11-25-2008, 11:26 PM
Ummm...

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t136/Smash8888/how_about_no.jpg

Supreme_Being
11-25-2008, 11:27 PM
Tp 4evah!!!!!

Cant_Be_Faded
11-25-2008, 11:29 PM
I would have saved this poll until feb or march, but the vicissitudes of the nba combined with sheer balling ability to prod me into starting the poll.

Try to shake off your spoiled spursfan tendencies, and say it out loud. A rookie, we drafted late in the first round, that the majority of us (including me i admit it) scoffed to no end, has scored three straight 20 point games in an effort to keep our time afloat and hold down the fort.

This is unprecedented. Duncan accomplished this, but he's a special case, he's the greatest player of all basketball times.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Ummm...

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t136/Smash8888/how_about_no.jpg

Do you mean the title should remain vacant or you have a better candidate.

This thread will fail unless you yeah's and nahbrah's alike give your input.

honestfool84
what makes this poll the official spurstalk poll?

Reck
Sure why not. In a few years he might even be better than Parker.

Ummm refer to mr. chug's post.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-25-2008, 11:32 PM
what makes this poll the official spurstalk poll?

The fact that I am the first spurstalk fan in its existence to coin the term Chosen Son of San Antonio.

BTW if you stupid assholes turn this into a Hill vs Parker thread I will put you on my shit list. This is not about that. It's about a title, which I described in the first post, and nothing more.

honestfool84
11-25-2008, 11:35 PM
oh.
well i liked hill from the start.
so yeah, i think he's the next 'chosen son of san antonio'.

'son' reminds me of that annoying hornets fan during the playoffs..

tp2021
11-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Just for reference, I define Chosen Son of San Antonio as the youngest, most good-looking, most up and comingest Spur, with a game that can't be labeled as "herky jerky, helter skelter" etc, basically, they have to flat out ball.

Kinda specific. Is there even another candidate?

Cant_Be_Faded
11-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Kinda specific. Is there even another candidate?

They have to meet all specifications to a T. If they don't, then the title remains vacant, as it has been for the past 6 seasons.

It's a player that makes you insanely excited for the future, but isn't so blatantly good that he'll be a Spur cornerstone for years to come.

Parker was so good he leapfrogged the position. Beno was a total joke and abortion. If you think there are no other candidates, vote so.

Dex
11-26-2008, 12:01 AM
I voted yes, but I think the question is skewed to invoke that answer.

What you're basically asking is 'is George Hill the best prospect since Tony Parker', which doesn't leave a wide range of competition.

The only real proven rook the Spurs have plucked from the draft since Tony was Beno, who looked impressive in stints, but was obviously unimpressive as a Spur.

Barbosa, Howard, Scola, Splitter....all these possible prospects have unfortunately never logged a minute for us. Mahinmi is still waiting to prove he can survive the NBA level.

Then you get into the long list of tryouts and DLeaguers. I think it's pretty safe to say that the Spurs didn't miss any gems in Linton Johnson, Alex Garcia, Darius Washington, or even...dare I say....James Gist!

Keeping Matt Barnes around might have been a swell move, but I don't run the damn thing.

Brent Barry was a likely candidate coming in, but was never young nor up-and-coming, and never lived up to the hype. Hedo Turkoglu was a good piece that just didn't fit the puzzle. While just getting his first big shot in the League, Roger Mason Jr. already established himself with the Wizards last year, and isn't necessarily a whipper-snapper by any means, either.

So yeah, since no other recent rookie has been able to come in and put up 20-20-20 games for the Spurs in their first 15 games...I'll admit that George Hill looks like a pretty solid damn pickup by this FO.

But I'd like to see at least one season's average before I really cast my vote.

Even Beno is able to put together a good three game stretch.

Well, if he's not wearing a Spur, anyway. :shootme

Darkwaters
11-26-2008, 12:05 AM
I don't think you can label him something like that just yet. While the very involved Spurs fans (such as most people here) have latched onto him, I can't say that the city itself is behind him in similar fashion. I think the average fan has to be more head over heels for this guy before you christen him with such a title.

timaios
11-26-2008, 12:24 AM

This position/title has been left vacant since the departure of Antonio Daniels summer of 2002.

I say yes. I've been waiting for a sign. Not even Parker got three straight 20 point games at this stage in his career. Back in 2002 I wanted to give this title to Parker, but as the season progressed I felt he actually leapfrogged this position and firmly established himself as "THE Spurs point guard".

From the preview before the 2008 playoffs.
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/sas_phx_rd1_08.html

Tony Parker’s success in the playoffs at such a young age has put him in elite company. With 1,547 career playoff points before the age of 25, Parker trails only Kobe Bryant on the all-time list for most playoff points for a player under 25.
Parker turned 25 during the 2007 playoffs on 5/17 and has scored 229 playoff points since his 25th birthday to give him a total of 1,776. (2157 now)
He is also second all-time in postseason wins for a player under 25 with 56 playoff victories and is tied with Bryant in assists at 407.

Oh and Tony is the youngest player (21 years 22 days) to have two games in a row with 20+ points in NBA finals.

I am a big fan of George Hill, but come on. He had great games against Utah (without Williams, Boozer & Korver) and Memphis... And Denver in garbage time.

3 good games, 1 month of NBA competition VS 545 season games + 117 playoffs games + 3 NBA Finals + 8 years.

You can't compare them now. Maybe in 2 or 3 years... with George having 1 or 2 titles.

MrChug
11-26-2008, 12:36 AM
Do you mean the title should remain vacant or you have a better candidate.

This thread will fail unless you yeah's and nahbrah's alike give your input.

Question's too vague.

Thread title asks for the "Son", yet I'm confused by your reference to "THE Spurs point guard". In that case...NO, it's Tony.

If he has to fall into your qualifying characteristics as "youngest, most good-looking, up and comingest Spur" (very gay checklist so far BTW-but whatever)...still Tony.

I knew Antonio as a drinking buddy when he was here in SATX and I guess you're asking for a ladies man?

Are you serious? That's not what San Antonio's about so I don't know WHAT the fuck you're asking.

WHO'S FACE OF THE SAN ANTONIO SPURS? No one would dispute that.

http://thejosevilson.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/timduncan.jpg

As a judge would rule upon an objection to your cross-examination: "Rephrase your question counselor"

Cant_Be_Faded
11-26-2008, 12:38 AM
I voted yes, but I think the question is skewed to invoke that answer.

What you're basically asking is 'is George Hill the best prospect since Tony Parker', which doesn't leave a wide range of competition.

The only real proven rook the Spurs have plucked from the draft since Tony was Beno, who looked impressive in stints, but was obviously unimpressive as a Spur.

Barbosa, Howard, Scola, Splitter....all these possible prospects have unfortunately never logged a minute for us. Mahinmi is still waiting to prove he can survive the NBA level.

Then you get into the long list of tryouts and DLeaguers. I think it's pretty safe to say that the Spurs didn't miss any gems in Linton Johnson, Alex Garcia, Darius Washington, or even...dare I say....James Gist!

Keeping Matt Barnes around might have been a swell move, but I don't run the damn thing.

Brent Barry was a likely candidate coming in, but was never young nor up-and-coming, and never lived up to the hype. Hedo Turkoglu was a good piece that just didn't fit the puzzle. While just getting his first big shot in the League, Roger Mason Jr. already established himself with the Wizards last year, and isn't necessarily a whipper-snapper by any means, either.

So yeah, since no other recent rookie has been able to come in and put up 20-20-20 games for the Spurs in their first 15 games...I'll admit that George Hill looks like a pretty solid damn pickup by this FO.

But I'd like to see at least one season's average before I really cast my vote.

Even Beno is able to put together a good three game stretch.

Well, if he's not wearing a Spur, anyway. :shootme

Well half the guys you mentioned we never actually played. And Barry was like 13 years too old. LJ3, Alex Garcia, and Darius never actually got enough burn and never proved themselves to be over the hump. It's not about a prospect, it's about that young up and comer that gets you excited about your teams future, but isn't so over the top good that its a given he'll be a starter for the next 10 years.

The fact that you think the question is skewed to get that answer only means that you agree that he's the best candidate for the title we've had in a long time.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-26-2008, 12:39 AM
From the preview before the 2008 playoffs.
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/sas_phx_rd1_08.html

Tony Parker’s success in the playoffs at such a young age has put him in elite company. With 1,547 career playoff points before the age of 25, Parker trails only Kobe Bryant on the all-time list for most playoff points for a player under 25.
Parker turned 25 during the 2007 playoffs on 5/17 and has scored 229 playoff points since his 25th birthday to give him a total of 1,776. (2157 now)
He is also second all-time in postseason wins for a player under 25 with 56 playoff victories and is tied with Bryant in assists at 407.

Oh and Tony is the youngest player (21 years 22 days) to have two games in a row with 20+ points in NBA finals.

I am a big fan of George Hill, but come on. He had great games against Utah (without Williams, Boozer & Korver) and Memphis... And Denver in garbage time.

3 good games, 1 month of NBA competition VS 545 season games + 117 playoffs games + 3 NBA Finals + 8 years.

You can't compare them now. Maybe in 2 or 3 years... with George having 1 or 2 titles.

Jesus christ you are such a fucking stupid asshole. I see you have a little french flag next to your name. I guess that means you can't read fucking english.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Question's too vague.

Thread title asks for the "Son", yet I'm confused by your reference to "THE Spurs point guard". In that case...NO, it's Tony.

If he has to fall into your qualifying characteristics as "youngest, most good-looking, up and comingest Spur" (very gay checklist so far BTW-but whatever)...still Tony.

I knew Antonio as a drinking buddy when he was here in SATX and I guess you're asking for a ladies man?

Are you serious? That's not what San Antonio's about so I don't know WHAT the fuck you're asking.

WHO'S FACE OF THE SAN ANTONIO SPURS? No one would dispute that.

http://thejosevilson.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/timduncan.jpg

As a judge would rule upon an objection to your cross-examination: "Rephrase your question counselor"

I said Parker was so blatantly good that he was not qualified for this title because it was blatant he was the Spurs point guard now and for the oncoming future.

The title is for a player that is not so over the top good that he'll always be a starter, but when he comes into the game he gets you revved up, and he's still young and a flat out baller. Antonio Daniels was the best athlete on the team at one point, he was young, and came off the bench to spark us. Like Ginobili, but with more of a classic nba style, as opposed to Ginobili's freak on wheels style.

I see that in Hill.

timaios
11-26-2008, 12:45 AM
Jesus christ you are such a fucking stupid asshole. I see you have a little french flag next to your name. I guess that means you can't read fucking english.

Thank you.

Dex
11-26-2008, 12:54 AM
Well half the guys you mentioned we never actually played. And Barry was like 13 years too old. LJ3, Alex Garcia, and Darius never actually got enough burn and never proved themselves to be over the hump. It's not about a prospect, it's about that young up and comer that gets you excited about your teams future, but isn't so over the top good that its a given he'll be a starter for the next 10 years.

The fact that you think the question is skewed to get that answer only means that you agree that he's the best candidate for the title we've had in a long time.

I do....

And I did...

So....boo-yah? :cooldevil

MrChug
11-26-2008, 01:09 AM
The title is for a player that is not so over the top good that he'll always be a starter, but when he comes into the game he gets you revved up, and he's still young and a flat out baller. Antonio Daniels was the best athlete on the team at one point, he was young, and came off the bench to spark us. Like Ginobili, but with more of a classic nba style, as opposed to Ginobili's freak on wheels style.

I see that in Hill.

I can't completely disagree with you buddy, but only time will tell. Historically, some young players get in a groove and can't play around the adjustments made around HIS ROLE. Meaning, I can truly see Tony coming back and lighting up the league (eventually)>the Spurs playing at an elite level>GHill's minutes dwindling to about 16 a game>having a few off nights>and losing his confidence for quite some time.

There have been a myriad of players who have shone brightly for a period when the ball is in their hands for many minutes and most posessions. Too many to mention. It's rare however, when a player can completely change roles and continue to play consistently. Some get better, some alot worse. Better? Enter Manu Ginobili (Turkoglu/Finley) and David Robinson (Tim Duncan) played 2nd fiddle on purpose for the betterment of the team and it WORKED. They played within their roles, but not everyone can do that. Envy...one of the 7 deadly sins and it happens to most of us. Don't tell me he won't be a little jealous once Tony comes back and puts the rook back on the bench. Can GH step up and still shock the defense the way he does now with the same confidence?

We have ring #5 riding on such things...

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-26-2008, 01:23 AM
I bet you loved it when the Spurs drafted him.

E20
11-26-2008, 01:32 AM
You guys gotta cut CBF some slack.

homer
11-26-2008, 04:45 AM
I voted yes but what I really mean is yes for now. I reserve the right to change my vote
at any time in the future. I have yet to see Ian, Gist, or Splitter play in a Spurs uniform.
And who knows what future stars may come.
So............. yes for now.

mrspurs
11-26-2008, 06:18 AM
These polls remind of those mickey mouse games we played in elementary and junior highschool. Playbaby threads.

stéphane
11-26-2008, 07:06 AM

Do you realize that Hill is going to be 23 in six months?
Still I like him a lot, no misunderstanding please ^^
Feel relieved to have him as backup point but don't compare things this way...
If you take Scola or Manu they had a LOT of experience coming in to the league so you couldn't compare them to people who would be 20 having just played college basket ball.... Same thing goes for your comparison.

TDMVPDPOY
11-26-2008, 07:21 AM
HILL has more potential than parker imo....

parker was given the green light when he came here, something HILL didnt get cause currently this team is no worst than the team parker played on when he came here which was full of broken down veterans. Hill gets the chance to shine while parker is out injured, his not given the green light atm to do whatever he likes, but his doing pretty well with the chances given to him. I like where his development and progress going so far....we just need to see what he can do in the playoffs...if he chokes like parker did...then we will have reaccessed our plans....

MoSpur
11-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Sorry Can't Be Faded, but until he does a Jim's commercial he will never be the Chosen Son of San Antonio.

smeagol
11-26-2008, 09:37 AM

For all of you homer nutsuckers, this isn't a poll asking if he's better than Parker. Please read this post over again if you think that.

So here it is. Is he the Chosen One?

That is a little gay, don't you think?

m33p0
11-26-2008, 11:07 AM
I said Parker was so blatantly good that he was not qualified for this title because it was blatant he was the Spurs point guard now and for the oncoming future.

I see that in Hill.
oh, okay. yes, then. though i'm hoping bonner could also fill in just like he did in those couple of games last year when timmy went down. man, did we cheer the red rocket back then!

jag
11-26-2008, 03:00 PM
HILL has more potential than parker imo....

Nah Brah.

timvp
11-26-2008, 11:14 PM
I was waiting to see if Hill could pass the Lindsey Hunter Test.

Now I can vote for him in this poll.

m33p0
11-26-2008, 11:20 PM
I was waiting to see if Hill could pass the Lindsey Hunter Test.

Now I can vote for him in this poll.
looks like lindsey failed his own test. :lol

Dark Matter
11-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Mr. Hill is a Special player. Special like Manu. I see him morph in some of Manu's game. Between The two the force is strong. I am not to saying that the rest of the team doesn't matter. But Manu and Mr. Hill are Special.:toast