PDA

View Full Version : SI.com Roundtable: Lakers: 70 Wins A Possibility?

duncan228
11-26-2008, 02:21 AM
Roundtable: 70 wins a possibility? (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/11/25/writers.roundtable/index.html)

SI.com NBA writers will analyze the latest news and address hot topics from around the league each week.

1. The 1995-96 Bulls (72-10) are the only team in NBA history to win at least 70 regular-season games. What's your early read on the Lakers' chances of reaching that milestone? How about the Celtics'?

Ian Thomsen: I don't see it as being important to the Celtics. As impressive as they've been overall, they've embarked on a bad trend this season of falling behind early in games and that is going to result in a few losses along the way. I see the Celtics making a priority of keeping Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen fresh and healthy going into the playoffs. Doc Rivers is likely to follow the example of Gregg Popovich's approach to pacing his team through the regular season, even if it means sacrificing a game or two.

The Lakers are too young to pull it off. That Bulls team was a highly professional and committed group that focused on the job each night. These Lakers around Kobe Bryant haven't even won a championship yet, so they have too much to learn before they can think of becoming the most dominant team of them all. The Lakers are very impressive and they have the game's best player, but let's wait until February or March and see how healthy they (and their rivals) are before we begin comparing them to the most accomplished teams.

Marty Burns: It's about as likely to happen as, say, your Thanksgiving turkey getting up and walking off the table. The Lakers have the size and depth to make a good run at it, but not the mental toughness (other than Kobe) to get all the way to 70. The Celtics have the mental toughness, but not the size and depth.

The NBA season is just too long for any team not led by Michael Jordan to win every game night in and night out in the dog days of February and March. We should know this by now. We've seen the Suns, Pistons and Celtics get off to similar red-hot starts in recent years only to fall way short of that magic 70 barrier.

Jack McCallum: Neither will come within 10 games of reaching it. Not only were the Bulls blessed with having the all-time assassin, Jordan, bent on reaching a record level of wins, but the team was also extraordinarily lucky in terms of injuries. Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Toni Kukoc, Steve Kerr and Ron Harper missed only a few games among them, and Dennis Rodman was fine in between suspensions. We are now in an era when players inevitably break down, and somewhere along the line this will happen to Boston or L.A.

Chris Mannix: Winning 70 games in the NBA is like winning 116 in baseball (done twice) or running the regular-season table in the modern-day NFL (also done twice). It's tough even under the best of circumstances. There is no question that the Lakers are the cream of the crop right now: They have size (Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom), skill (Kobe) and a deep bench that enables them to stay in games even when their top players are struggling. But the West is just too tough for them to crack the 70-win barrier.

While the Celtics are the class of the East, they have been in a lot of close games early in the season. And the the age of their stars -- Paul Pierce, 31, Kevin Garnett, 32, and Ray Allen, 33 -- makes them susceptible to injury. This season will eventually prove to be more challenging than 2007-2008, when Boston won 66 games.

Steve Aschburner: I doubt the Lakers or anyone else will win 70 games because this isn't an expansion year. When Chicago won 72 games in 1995-96, Vancouver and Toronto were brand-new entries and absorbed 125 losses (the Grizzlies and the Raptors were a combined 1-5 against the Bulls). Several existing teams were inept, too, with Philadelphia (64), Milwaukee (57), Dallas (56) and Minnesota (56) all losing more than two-thirds of their games. Yet against that backdrop, only six teams besides the Bulls won at least 50.

Put simply, there are more good teams now. Last season, 11 teams won 50 or more. I expect 10 or 11 to do it again this year. Meanwhile, the bottom-feeders are getting better; of the seven teams that lost 56 or more last season, four -- New York, Milwaukee, Miami and Minnesota -- could push toward or past 30 victories. From there, all it takes is the wrong combination of back-to-backs and one semiserious injury to derail a club hoping for 70.

Ghazi
11-26-2008, 02:49 AM
It certainly seems possible IMO. I see the Lakers blowing out teams like the Suns and Nets even w/ Pau scoring 4 v Suns and Kobe going 5-17 and scoring 12 v the Nets. Teams would be lucky to win a game with their stars playing like that, let alone BLOW the opposition out.

That being said, it's an 82 game season. Winning 70 means youre an all time great team. And while I think the Lakers are good, their roster doesn't give off the vibe of "all time great". They're too young, and too soft IMO.

Reck
11-26-2008, 03:18 AM
Dallas almost scored 70 wins in 2006 so if they can do it then this Lakers team certain can pull it off.

LakeShow
11-26-2008, 04:03 AM
70 wins is not out of the question but I'll like to see more wins before predicting that they will win 70. This lakers team is the deepest Lakers team that I have ever seen. If healthy the sky's the limit. Like the Bulls, they have the best player in the league and the coaches who coached that Bulls team that won 72 games. Phil appears to have the Lakers focused on playing at a top level every night.

Here's a comment by Randy Brown a member of that 72 win Bulls team.

http://www.nba.com/2008/news/features/dave_mcmenamin/11/24/wc.1123/index.html

Western Conference Insider: Lakers resemble '95-96 Bulls

By Dave McMenamin, NBA.com (http://my.nba.com/profile.jspa?userID=300001889)
Posted Nov 24 2008 6:26PM

Sacramento Kings assistant coach Randy Brown knows what a 70-win NBA team looks like.

He was on one.

Or should I say, he was on it, because the 1995-96 Chicago Bulls are the lone team in league history to reach the 70-win plateau during their record-setting 72-10 season.

You might remember Brown, a role player who wore No. 0 on the Bulls' 1996-98 championship team, for trying to wrestle the game ball away from Michael Jordan after Chicago downed Seattle in Game 6 of the 1996 NBA Finals.

"I went for that ball," Brown told me before his Kings played the Lakers on Sunday. "It's Toni Kukoc's fault. I told him to give me the ball and as you can see, Michael and I are running for it and then it hit me: It's Father's Day, let the guy have the ball. So, I let it go. He was destined for it, so it was no big deal."

With a 118-108 win over Sacramento, Los Angeles pushed its record to 11-1, moving ahead of Chicago's pace in '95-96. The Bulls started their season 10-2, losing to the Sonics on Nov. 26 before going on a 13-game winning streak to set their record at 23-2 by Christmas.

Only seven out of the Lakers' next 16 games leading up to their Finals rematch against Boston on Dec. 25 are against teams with .500 records or better.

Brown thinks that this Lakers team with a clean shaven Zen Master and No. 24 running the show can match the feat accomplished 12 years ago by the bearded coach and No. 23.

"Of course Phil [Jackson] is down there, but they are a little more talented than we were when I played for the Bulls," Brown said. "At the same time, the NBA is getting some parity. There are a lot of teams out there that are good ... hopefully if they stay injury free, maybe they can get there.

http://www.nba.com/2008/images/11/24/quote3.jpg

"But 70 games to win in the NBA is a lot of games now because so many teams are good at home. Some teams are getting good now, the East is catching up with the West and the West is going to be strong for some years to come. It's a long season, anything can happen.

The Lakers aren't reveling in their torrid start. While L.A.'s average point differential through the first dozen games is a league best +13.25 (the Bulls' was +9.2 through 12 games in '95-96) there was hardly a feeling of "mission accomplished" in the locker room on Sunday after the Lakers allowed 108 points to a 5-10 Kings team. It was just the third time all season that the newly defensive minded L.A. squad let up 100 points or more to its opponent.

"All we're worried about is the Lakers," Lamar Odom said. "We're not worried about what any other team is doing. We're not concerned with any other uniform or any other organization but the Lakers."

Jackson echoed his sixth man's sentiments when asked if the Bulls' record was on his team's radar.

"We're not thinking about anything at all besides the next game," Jackson said. "New Jersey, they're on a streak, we have to play one game at a time and see what it brings. We have a home stretch here where it's really important to take advantage of this."

By not acknowledging the hot start, the Lakers are actually taking the same approach that the Bulls did over a decade ago.

"I'd be lying if we said we [made 70 wins our goal]," Brown said. "It never was a focus of ours. It never was a team goal. It's funny, I think when we got to 68, 69, Phil Jackson started chirping, 'Why not go ahead and win 70,' but, we were just in a groove. Michael was on a mission and we had a bunch of players that played their role. Like I said, we had no idea that we were going to win 70 games but at some point, after winning so many games in a row, we felt like we could get there. It was a memorable season."

While Brown and the Bulls didn't dwell on 70 wins when they were in the moment, the former 12-year vet with Sacramento, Chicago, Boston and Phoenix now has plenty of time to reflect on it.

"I think about it everyday and I think about how much I didn't take advantage of it because I thought that team would go on forever," Brown said. "After three championships, we thought we could win four, thought we could win five, but, Michael retires, Phil leaves town and next thing you know, there's no more Bulls. I tell the stories to the guys everyday, it was a great time in my life."

Lakers_55
11-26-2008, 05:50 AM
I am not even thinking 70 wins, although this Laker team is capable of winning at least 60. Team health is more important. I think the Laker detractors don't realize how committed the team is this year. They proved to be the best of the west last season and this year Bynum and Ariza are back from the injured list. Kobe doesn't need Shaq to win a title, the rest of his teammates more than make up for the Big Diesel.

TDMVPDPOY
11-26-2008, 06:41 AM
whats the point of winning 70 games if you cant win when it matters....

Brazil
11-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Where is Allanon ? ;)

himat
11-26-2008, 09:03 AM
This is getting really irritating now. This happened to the 2005-06 Pistons, 2006-07 Mavs, and now the 2008-09 Lakers. They will not win 70 games this year. I am sure of it.

lefty
11-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Won't happen.

stretch
11-26-2008, 10:21 AM
70 wins is not out of the question but I'll like to see more wins before predicting that they will win 70. This lakers team is the deepest Lakers team that I have ever seen. If healthy the sky's the limit. Like the Bulls, they have the best player in the league and the coaches who coached that Bulls team that won 72 games. Phil appears to have the Lakers focused on playing at a top level every night.

Here's a comment by Randy Brown a member of that 72 win Bulls team.

http://www.nba.com/2008/news/features/dave_mcmenamin/11/24/wc.1123/index.html

Western Conference Insider: Lakers resemble '95-96 Bulls

By Dave McMenamin, NBA.com (http://my.nba.com/profile.jspa?userID=300001889)
Posted Nov 24 2008 6:26PM

Sacramento Kings assistant coach Randy Brown knows what a 70-win NBA team looks like.

He was on one.

Or should I say, he was on it, because the 1995-96 Chicago Bulls are the lone team in league history to reach the 70-win plateau during their record-setting 72-10 season.

You might remember Brown, a role player who wore No. 0 on the Bulls' 1996-98 championship team, for trying to wrestle the game ball away from Michael Jordan after Chicago downed Seattle in Game 6 of the 1996 NBA Finals.

"I went for that ball," Brown told me before his Kings played the Lakers on Sunday. "It's Toni Kukoc's fault. I told him to give me the ball and as you can see, Michael and I are running for it and then it hit me: It's Father's Day, let the guy have the ball. So, I let it go. He was destined for it, so it was no big deal."

With a 118-108 win over Sacramento, Los Angeles pushed its record to 11-1, moving ahead of Chicago's pace in '95-96. The Bulls started their season 10-2, losing to the Sonics on Nov. 26 before going on a 13-game winning streak to set their record at 23-2 by Christmas.

Only seven out of the Lakers' next 16 games leading up to their Finals rematch against Boston on Dec. 25 are against teams with .500 records or better.

Brown thinks that this Lakers team with a clean shaven Zen Master and No. 24 running the show can match the feat accomplished 12 years ago by the bearded coach and No. 23.

"Of course Phil [Jackson] is down there, but they are a little more talented than we were when I played for the Bulls," Brown said. "At the same time, the NBA is getting some parity. There are a lot of teams out there that are good ... hopefully if they stay injury free, maybe they can get there.

http://www.nba.com/2008/images/11/24/quote3.jpg

"But 70 games to win in the NBA is a lot of games now because so many teams are good at home. Some teams are getting good now, the East is catching up with the West and the West is going to be strong for some years to come. It's a long season, anything can happen.

The Lakers aren't reveling in their torrid start. While L.A.'s average point differential through the first dozen games is a league best +13.25 (the Bulls' was +9.2 through 12 games in '95-96) there was hardly a feeling of "mission accomplished" in the locker room on Sunday after the Lakers allowed 108 points to a 5-10 Kings team. It was just the third time all season that the newly defensive minded L.A. squad let up 100 points or more to its opponent.

"All we're worried about is the Lakers," Lamar Odom said. "We're not worried about what any other team is doing. We're not concerned with any other uniform or any other organization but the Lakers."

Jackson echoed his sixth man's sentiments when asked if the Bulls' record was on his team's radar.

"We're not thinking about anything at all besides the next game," Jackson said. "New Jersey, they're on a streak, we have to play one game at a time and see what it brings. We have a home stretch here where it's really important to take advantage of this."

By not acknowledging the hot start, the Lakers are actually taking the same approach that the Bulls did over a decade ago.

"I'd be lying if we said we [made 70 wins our goal]," Brown said. "It never was a focus of ours. It never was a team goal. It's funny, I think when we got to 68, 69, Phil Jackson started chirping, 'Why not go ahead and win 70,' but, we were just in a groove. Michael was on a mission and we had a bunch of players that played their role. Like I said, we had no idea that we were going to win 70 games but at some point, after winning so many games in a row, we felt like we could get there. It was a memorable season."

While Brown and the Bulls didn't dwell on 70 wins when they were in the moment, the former 12-year vet with Sacramento, Chicago, Boston and Phoenix now has plenty of time to reflect on it.

"I think about it everyday and I think about how much I didn't take advantage of it because I thought that team would go on forever," Brown said. "After three championships, we thought we could win four, thought we could win five, but, Michael retires, Phil leaves town and next thing you know, there's no more Bulls. I tell the stories to the guys everyday, it was a great time in my life."

hi rockets fan

Allanon
11-26-2008, 11:26 AM
After watching the Laker games this season, I now realize that I was wrong about the Lakers winning 70 games.

http://badpussy.org/uploads/sigs/1/spurstalksig.jpg

LakeShow
11-26-2008, 11:53 AM
I am not even thinking 70 wins, although this Laker team is capable of winning at least 60. Team health is more important. I think the Laker detractors don't realize how committed the team is this year. They proved to be the best of the west last season and this year Bynum and Ariza are back from the injured list. Kobe doesn't need Shaq to win a title, the rest of his teammates more than make up for the Big Diesel.

I don't really care about 70 wins either but I do think this team is capable of winning 70. They are by far heads and shoulders above the competition. Injuries will be the key.

LakeShow
11-26-2008, 11:54 AM
hi rockets fan

What's up, Inchworm?

Armando
11-26-2008, 12:35 PM
They won't get to 70 wins. People forget that back down the NBA was kind of lopsided in terms of parity. There is alot more parity in the NBA now. Before all is said and done the Hornets,Spurs,Blazers,Suns,Jazz will have an impact on who gets to the Finals.

Brazil
11-26-2008, 12:48 PM
After watching the Laker games this season, I now realize that I was wrong about the Lakers winning 70 games.

Why ? you think now that it will be 75 ? :)

stretch
11-26-2008, 12:54 PM
What's up, Inchworm?

Not much buddy. You been doing alright? Haven't seen you too much lately. You been able to keep in touch with any of the old FWST posters, like island_dude or maloof or anyone?

Showtime24 LAKERS
11-26-2008, 12:55 PM
I dont care if we win 70 games or not iall i think about is that championship parade in june!! :toast

stretch
11-26-2008, 01:01 PM
and for that article that lakeshow posted...

There have been a plethora of teams with more OFFENSIVE talent than the 96 Bulls (which is exactly what these Lakers have). Doesn't mean anything. What made them special was their gritty versatile defense and rebounding, smart offensive desicion making, and an unsurpassed mental toughness (none of which this Lakers team come remotely close to the Bulls in having, ESPECIALLY the defense, rebounding and mental toughness). Not to mention having the greatest player in NBA history, Michael Jordan (which there are also other players more offensively talented and gifted than him, such as Kobe, Lebron, and T-Mac, but it likewise doesn't mean crap). The small intangibles that Jordan and those 96 Bulls had were greater than any player and team in NBA history, which is why they are the greatest team ever.

SpursDynasty
11-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Absolutely not. 70 wins? Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom? No.

This Lakers team is one of the least intimidating teams in the NBA.

angelbelow
11-26-2008, 01:07 PM
teams that start off this well are always subject to 70 win talk. but the modest thing to do is to wait until feb/march/april.

Allanon
11-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Why ? you think now that it will be 75 ? :)
:D

There have been a plethora of teams with more OFFENSIVE talent than the 96 Bulls (which is exactly what these Lakers have).
Yes, you're right there, Lakers are #1 in offense

ESPECIALLY the defense
Lakers are #1 in Defense as of right now

rebounding
Lakers are #3, just a couple of ticks away from #1 Dallas. With the Lakers length, rebounding should never be an issue.

and mental toughness.
The Lakers are off to a better start than Jordan's Bulls/Dirk's Mavs through 13 games. Their 14 point win margin is 1/3 higher than Jordan's Bulls and almost double the Celtics win Margin in last year's 66 win season.

Lakers right now are #1 in offense AND defense
Kobe can have a bad night and the Lakers still blow out a decent team by 29 points

Most importantly
Celtics are on pace for 66-67 wins. The Lakers want HCA so they'll probably NEED 70 wins to get HCA. It's also possible that the Celtics (also looking for HCA) will hit the 70 win mark.

The Celtics LAST YEAR could have won 70 games, but they coasted at the end to save their starters since they had locked up HCA. But this year, locking up HCA throughout the Playoffs might take 82 games to decide.

There might be TWO 70 win teams this season. That's why I think the Lakers can do it, it's not so much a luxury but a necessity.

Not to mention having the greatest player in NBA history, Michael Jordan
I ain't getting into that debate again.

xtremesteven33
11-26-2008, 02:39 PM
It wouldnt suprise me if the Lakers win 70 games.

That team is ridiculously stacked.

Kobe™
11-26-2008, 03:13 PM
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m210/d_julien/Amazing.png
4 peat in the making

z0sa
11-26-2008, 03:23 PM
:sleep

JamStone
11-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Probably won't happen, but it's not impossible. Health permitting, there are only a handful of teams that can really challenge them from game to game, Boston, Cleveland, maybe a healthy Houston team, a healthy Spurs team, and maybe Phoenix if both Amare and Shaq are playing well. But, that's just challenging them. Doesn't mean they'd beat the Lakers.

If they don't have any major injuries or letdowns against shitty teams, they could win 70 games. Still unlikely, but very much possible.

JoeTait75
11-26-2008, 03:40 PM

There have been a plethora of teams with more OFFENSIVE talent than the 96 Bulls (which is exactly what these Lakers have). Doesn't mean anything. What made them special was their gritty versatile defense and rebounding, smart offensive desicion making, and an unsurpassed mental toughness (none of which this Lakers team come remotely close to the Bulls in having, ESPECIALLY the defense, rebounding and mental toughness). Not to mention having the greatest player in NBA history, Michael Jordan (which there are also other players more offensively talented and gifted than him, such as Kobe, Lebron, and T-Mac, but it likewise doesn't mean crap). The small intangibles that Jordan and those 96 Bulls had were greater than any player and team in NBA history, which is why they are the greatest team ever.

Yep.

stretch
11-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Yes, you're right there, Lakers are #1 in offense

Yes, they are #1 in PPG, and top 10 in FG% and 3pt%. They have looked pretty good on offense.

Lakers are #1 in Defense as of right now

Where the fuck do you get your stats from?

They are not #1 in any major defensive category except steals and turnovers, which actually goes perfectly in hand with my issues about their defense... it relies more on steals and turnovers than it does on actually locking teams up defensively. Also, they can be outsmarted easily, as they allow the 4th most APG. Take a look at other teams that allow that many assists... Golden State, Sacramento, Washington... all pathetically porus defenses. Not saying that the Lakers are that bad, but they definitely can be outsmarted, and rely a lot on turnovers.

To say they are the #1 defensive team (or even close) is incredibly asinine.

and mental toughness.
The Lakers are off to a better start than Jordan's Bulls/Dirk's Mavs through 13 games. Their 14 point win margin is 1/3 higher than Jordan's Bulls and almost double the Celtics win Margin in last year's 66 win season.

That has absolutely nothing to do with mental toughness at all. Mavs won 67 and had the greatest 55 game stretch in sports history or something like that, but that didn't make them mentally strong. The "we're on a mission" bullshit doesn't mean anything either, as the Mavs were on a mission as well, and really had more of a reason to be as they had partly been cheated out of an NBA title.

It's not about the start. Mental toughness is not measured in the beginning of the season. It's measured in April, May, and June.

Lakers right now are #1 in offense AND defense

Offense, sure. Defense not at all.

I ain't getting into that debate again.

Please don't. You've done nothing here but prove that you're a fucking retard to try to compare them to Jordan's Bulls and to be talking about 70 wins a mere 13 games into the season.

sook
11-26-2008, 04:13 PM
yea allanon i gotta admit that even though most of your posts are true, saying the Lakers are #1 in defense is a long shot from the truth.

Allanon
11-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Where the fuck do you get your stats from?

blah blah

To say they are the #1 defensive team (or even close) is incredibly asinine.

Let's forget for a moment that you dismiss the Lakers being #1 in forcing turnovers and steals as being no big deal.

You have to remember that the Lakers play at a very high tempo so you can't go by PPG. But remove the Lakers fast pace tempo and all of a sudden, voila! Lakers are #1 and Celtics are #2 in Defensive Efficiciency. (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats?sort=defeff&seasonType=2&league=nba&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fteamstats%3fsort%3ddefeff%26seasonT ype%3d2%26league%3dnba)

That has absolutely nothing to do with mental toughness at all. Mavs won 67 and had the greatest 55 game stretch in sports history or something like that, but that didn't make them mentally strong. The "we're on a mission" bullshit doesn't mean anything either, as the Mavs were on a mission as well, and really had more of a reason to be as they had partly been cheated out of an NBA title.

It's not about the start. Mental toughness is not measured in the beginning of the season. It's measured in April, May, and June.

I think blowing out teams by an average of 14 points is a very good sign of mental toughness. You don't. We shall see.

Offense, sure. Defense not at all.

#1 defensively in defensive efficiency.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=surprises-081120

Please don't. You've done nothing here but prove that you're a fucking retard to try to compare them to Jordan's Bulls and to be talking about 70 wins a mere 13 games into the season.

And all that you've proven is that your fucking pea-sized brain has been shrunken even smaller by your Laker hate.

Pistonfan1
11-26-2008, 05:17 PM
They could very well win 70 games. The thing is it wont mean shit come playoff time. The Lakers have a very good team, but my god does their bench and overall team get so overrated. Gasol is a soft player. Sasha/Vladamir are soft players. Odom is a solid 6th man but he is no more than a 3rd-4th option that is inconsistent. Bynum is a solid big on the rise but with Gasol wimping out when the going gets tough and Odom literally not a 2nd option, Bynum has to step up his game dramatically. Even if Bynum is able to pick up the slack for Odom's random ineffectiveness and Gasol's softness, it wouldnt be enough. The Lakers backup bigmen are scrubs. Chris Mihm and Josh Powell are worthless pieces of shit. Lack of bigman depth is a weakness the Lakers have to go with a handful of soft players. When it is all said and done come postseason time, the Lack of bigman depth, mentally tough players and lack of a clutch D are going to do the Lakers in.

Brazil
11-26-2008, 06:35 PM
:D

I knew it... :lmao

DrHouse
11-26-2008, 07:00 PM
What should scare the rest of the league is that this Laker team is nowhere near their potential.......and they are straight dominating teams. Bynum is getting back on track and should he avoid injury will be a vastly improved player by the end of the season compared to now. Bad teams simply don't have a chance, and good teams need to bring their 'A' game to even have a chance at beating LA @ Staples.

Let's take a direct look at their competition, Boston. Boston is holding teams to an impressive 89.9 ppg while scoring 97.2 ppg, slightly down from their averages last year. The Lakers, OTOH, are holding teams to 92.7 ppg while scoring an incredible 107 ppg. Basically they are giving up around 2-3 pts more than BOS per game while scoring an incredible 10 more ppg. The average win point differential is a whopping 14.3 pts.

You can say whatever you want about LA not winning the title. But stop fucking ignoring reality, by any statistic you want to go by the Lakers are fucking dominant on both offense and defense.

DrHouse
11-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Credit to LakerSanity over on LG:

Team Accolades

Points Scored - 1st (107.0)
Points Allowed - 6th (92.7)
Scoring Differential - 1st (+14.3)

Pace - 3rd (98.8)

Field Goal % - 7th (46.1%)
Filed Goal % Allowed - 3rd (42.3%)
3pt Shooting % - 5th (39%)
3pt Shooting % Allowed - 3rd (31%)

Rebounding Differential - 3rd (+5.0)
Rebounding Rate - 3rd (52.8)

Assists - 5th (22.4)
Turnovers - 10th (13.6)

Steals - 1st (10.4)
Turnovers Forced - 1st (17.5)

Turnover Differential - 2nd (-3.9)

Blocks - 6th (6.2)

Offensive Efficiency - 3rd (108.4)
Defensive Efficiency - 1st (93.9)

YellowFever
11-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Not likely to happen.

I still have some questions regarding the mental toughness of this team to say they will win 70 games, much less win the championship.

But they do look good right now and Im just going to enojy their success and think about the other crap when April and May gets here.