PDA

View Full Version : Barkley says Bynum better than Oden

Indazone
11-26-2008, 03:28 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/proxy/proxy.dll/insider/espnradio/player?id=3715609&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fpro xy%2fproxy.dll%2finsider%2fespnradio%2fplayer%3fid %3d3715609

Charles irritating Portland fans again :lol

Matchman
11-26-2008, 03:35 PM
the first time i see Barkley speaking the truth. the only way u would think oden is better than bynum is if u ar a trailblazer fan

Anti.Hero
11-26-2008, 03:37 PM
He also said only 5 teams could win it all this year

Lakers
Celts
Hornets
Jazz
Detroit

lmao

JamStone
11-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Barkley said Yao wouldn't score in double digits in a game his rookie season.

He also said the Cavs wouldn't make the playoffs last season.

Who knows which player is better? But, it's clear to take whatever Barkley says with a grain of salt.

Kobe™
11-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Too early to tell.

Texas_Ranger
11-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Just remember the Mavs - Warriors predictions..:rollin

sook
11-26-2008, 04:11 PM
yea this is a no brainer.

Hopefully Oden can turn it around like Yao did

Spur-Addict
11-26-2008, 04:59 PM
"If you are going to ask me that question right now"

SpursDynasty
11-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Oden is junk. Anyone is better than junk. Matt Bonner is better than Oden.

Allanon
11-26-2008, 05:18 PM
"If you are going to ask me that question right now"

Agreed.

Right now, it's Bynum and Oden's not even close.

Bynum is already possibly the biggest defenseive presence in the West at the Center position.

On offense, Bynum's averaging 11 points on only 8 shots. Put him on a team where he's getting 20 shots a night and he'll average 25+ points.

But at the same time, Bynum's been in the NBA for 3 years now, give Oden a few years and he'll give Bynum a run for his money.

Spur-Addict
11-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Agreed.

Bynum is already possibly the biggest defenseive presence in the West at the Center position.

On offense, Bynum's averaging 11 points on only 8 shots. Put him on a team where he's getting 20 shots a night and he'll average 25+ points.

But at the same time, Bynum's been in the NBA for 3 years now, give Oden a few years and he'll give Bynum a run for his money.

I wouldn't say not even close.

Yeah, and he has also been working with the best scoring big man ever(Bynum). Oden will develop a touch, i'm not sure about a mid range game though. :lol

That baby hook will come, blah, blah...It's his first actual year playing, some people need to get off his nuts. It's not like he has been playing for several years now.

It should be noted that in their first meeting neither of them stood out in direct competition and being clearly better. Greg isn't playing with Kobe either.

Just because someone is the biggest defensive presence doesn't mean they are the best defensive presence. Picture you say? Sure. :lol

http://hoopedia.nba.com/images/7/71/Bradley.jpg

Indazone
11-26-2008, 05:38 PM
haha Oden gets no respect. Bill Bradly Sacremento Bee picks Hawes over Oden

Leading Off: Hawes or Oden? It's closer than you think

By Bill Bradley
[email protected] ([email protected])
Published: Wednesday, Nov. 26, 2008 | Page 1C
Bee Sports Editor/Opinion
After spending two of the past five nights watching the top centers of the 2007 NBA draft, I ask you to ponder this: Who would you pick now, Spencer Hawes or Greg Oden?

I would take Hawes.

You say I'm crazy? Stay with me. As much hoopla as there was over Oden as the No. 1 overall pick – and yes, he was injured all of last season – he seems to be a one-dimensional player. He is great inside, rebounding and blocking shots. Yet he doesn't have the offensive impact like the big men to whom he was compared, Shaquille O'Neal and Karl Malone.

Hawes isn't in that league, either. But what makes him attractive is his other dimensions: passing and outside shooting. Plus, Hawes has bulked up enough to compete with the wide bodies and he isn't afraid to play inside this season.
In two games against each other, Oden had a combined 10 points (4-of-9 shooting) and 14 rebounds in 38 minutes. Hawes had 30 points (12 of 26) and eight rebounds in 72 minutes.

You get what you get with Oden. It appears the best is to come for Hawes.

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/1428878.html

mytespurs
11-26-2008, 05:58 PM
the first time i see Barkley speaking the truth. the only way u would think oden is better than bynum is if u ar a trailblazer fan

It's not really fair to compare them right now. I don't think either guy has reached his full potential. Talk to me about comparisons in a few years, not now.

Allanon
11-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Just because someone is the biggest defensive presence doesn't mean they are the best defensive presence. Picture you say? Sure. :lol

http://hoopedia.nba.com/images/7/71/Bradley.jpg

I'm not saying BIG as in Shawn Bradley big, that would be Yao.

I'm saying "Oh shit, that Bynum kid is in there, I think I'll pull up for a jumpshot."

Bynum vs Oden part 1 sucked, I'll have to agree with that. Odne's being behind is pretty much due to the fact he has no moves outside of dunking, yet. While Bynum's been learning footwork from Kareem for years now.

haha Oden gets no respect. Bill Bradly Sacremento Bee picks Hawes over Oden

I think Hawes is pretty bad-ass. Right now, I also think he's better than Oden but he doesn't have Oden's talent ceiling so he'll get passed up.

JamStone
11-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Agreed.

I won't see which one is better, but it actually is close, and actually favors Oden.

Bynum's per 36 minutes stats: 14.5 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 3.0 bpg, .527 FG

Oden's per 36 minutes stats: 15.3 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 3.1 bpg, .510 FG

Oden still has yet to play consistent starter minutes, but his production is right where Bynum's is and arguably better. The knock is he's injury prone. Bynum is better offensively, but it's not clear at all that Bynum is definitely the better player even right now.

Spur-Addict
11-26-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm not saying BIG as in Shawn Bradley big, that would be Yao.

I'm saying "Oh shit, that Bynum kid is in there, I think I'll pull up for a jumpshot."

Bynum vs Oden part 1 sucked, I'll have to agree with that. Odne's being behind is pretty much due to the fact he has no moves outside of dunking, yet. While Bynum's been learning footwork from Kareem for years now.

What do you mean by big then? Bradley is big, Yao is big and so is Bynum. So is Oden, etc....Alot of players pull up for jumpers because of them, and some pick around and drive with them all, where is the difference. Please explain.

Where was that footwork in game 1? I've been seeing pretty basic stuff from him. Drop steps etc. Nothing out the the ordinary, just a better touch.

lil_penny
11-26-2008, 06:32 PM
bynum is better than oden right now thats is a no brainer.. give it some time and i believe both these players will have great careers ahead of them(as long as they stay healthy) bynum can only get better the same goes for oden.. rigth now Pryzbilla is easily better than oden.

Spur-Addict
11-26-2008, 06:34 PM
bynum is better than oden right now thats is a no brainer.. give it some time and i believe both these players will have great careers ahead of them(as long as they stay healthy) bynum can only get better the same goes for oden.. rigth now Pryzbilla is easily better than oden.

What are you basing that off of?

Brazil
11-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Barclay bank says a lot of crap

lil_penny
11-26-2008, 06:49 PM
the last few games that pryz and oden have played pryz has had double double(except for the phoenix game he was scoreless) usually averaging about 10 points and 10 rebounds if im correct... at this point in time he doing a little better but not much lol.... watching a game though you can easily see that pryzbilla is better though oden still kind of rough around the edges, i think after the all star break we may start to see some of the oden people were hyping about

odens season so far
PPG 8.3 RPG 6.80 APG 0.9 EFF + 11.89 pryzbilla so far(couple points less)
PPG 6.5 RPG 8.30 APG 0.5 EFF + 15.07

mystargtr34
11-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Agreed.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

mystargtr34
11-26-2008, 06:52 PM
You know guys like Hakeem only averaged more than 25 PPG twice.

Duncan only once

Garnett never

Patrik Ewing once

Seriously dude, that statement you just made put you on a Spursdynasty plateau - i really dont know if your being serious.

Spur-Addict
11-26-2008, 06:57 PM
the last few games that pryz and oden have played pryz has had double double(except for the phoenix game he was scoreless) usually averaging about 10 points and 10 rebounds if im correct... at this point in time he doing a little better but not much lol.... watching a game though you can easily see that pryzbilla is better though oden still kind of rough around the edges, i think after the all star break we may start to see some of the oden people were hyping about

odens season so far
PPG 8.3 RPG 6.80 APG 0.9 EFF + 11.89 pryzbilla so far(couple points less)
PPG 6.5 RPG 8.30 APG 0.5 EFF + 15.07

From the looks of things statistic wise, I wouldn't say either is better. But it should be noted that joel gets five more minutes a game.

Allanon
11-26-2008, 07:00 PM
You know guys like Hakeem only averaged more than 25 PPG twice.

Duncan only once

Garnett never

Patrik Ewing once

Seriously dude, that statement you just made put you on a Spursdynasty plateau - i really dont know if your being serious.

It's an impressive sounding number. Ok, let's go with 20+

I'm also the guy that said he might be better than DROB :)

Allanon
11-26-2008, 07:02 PM
I won't see which one is better, but it actually is close, and actually favors Oden.

Bynum's per 36 minutes stats: 14.5 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 3.0 bpg, .527 FG

Oden's per 36 minutes stats: 15.3 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 3.1 bpg, .510 FG

Oden still has yet to play consistent starter minutes, but his production is right where Bynum's is and arguably better. The knock is he's injury prone. Bynum is better offensively, but it's not clear at all that Bynum is definitely the better player even right now.

Bynum at the beginning of the season sucked, however, he's really turning it on now since he said he's making it a point to be aggressive. He was only at 8 PPG like 3 games ago.

Oden on the hand appears to be coming back down to earth.

Allanon
11-26-2008, 07:04 PM
What do you mean by big then? Bradley is big, Yao is big and so is Bynum. So is Oden, etc....Alot of players pull up for jumpers because of them, and some pick around and drive with them all, where is the difference. Please explain.

I mean he's the best defending Center in the West. I think defensively, only DHo is better than Bynum at that spot.

Where was that footwork in game 1? I've been seeing pretty basic stuff from him. Drop steps etc. Nothing out the the ordinary, just a better touch.

Game 1 sucked, he sucked (relative to expectations) the first couple of games. But if you watch him now, he's putting his moves on display.

He's had a couple of sweet post spins the last couple of games. He's spinning off his man to catch lobs. He wouldn't dunk the first 7 games, now he's trying to stuff everything. If you check out the Laker forums, there's a jizz party on how good Bynum is looking now compared to the start of the season.

DrHouse
11-26-2008, 07:05 PM
A lot of Bynum haters will be shutting their mouths by the end of the season.

Yes, Bynum has looked unimpressive to start the season. He is picking his game up though from week to week and already looks markedly better in all aspects.

z0sa
11-26-2008, 07:07 PM
I'll never stop talking shit about LA ... doesn't mean I don't think they can ball.

And if Bynum was on my team and had been learning from kareem for 3-4 years, I'd have expected much, much more by now. Oden is not that far behind and he's had no such mentor.

mystargtr34
11-26-2008, 07:09 PM
It's an impressive sounding number. Ok, let's go with 20+

I'm also the guy that said he might be better than DROB :)

Well thats a stretch, i could say George Hill might be better than Kevin Johnson. The likeliness of that happening is about the same as Bynum being better than D-Rob, probly 2%.

D-Rob was the same size yet he could run faster, jump higher as well as being more agile. Bynum is still only 21 but D-Rob is just light years ahead in every facet of the game even in his rookie season that i dont see that comparison at all.

I see more Robert Parish

mystargtr34
11-26-2008, 07:13 PM
A lot of Bynum haters will be shutting their mouths by the end of the season.

Yes, Bynum has looked unimpressive to start the season. He is picking his game up though from week to week and already looks markedly better in all aspects.

Not hating at all, in fact ive defended him more than most on this board. Its just that the odds of him averaging 25 PPG, or be as good as D-Rob - i can tell you right now are about 2%. Forgive me for going with the 98%

Spur-Addict
11-26-2008, 07:14 PM
I mean he's the best defending Center in the West. I think defensively, only DHo is better than Bynum at that spot.

If we're going on Defense only I wouldn't say he's flat out better than Diop or Camby.

sook
11-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Allanon your one of the best posters on ST but comeon...stop drinkin Bynum's koolaid :)

dallaskd
11-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Agreed.

In the one game I have seen Bynum this year he got his ass beat up by Dampier and looked scared shitless when he shot the ball. But Dampier is having a pretty good year...

Allanon
11-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Yes, yes guys, I'm drinking the Bynum Kool-Aid. I agree he hasn't done shit. But we're comparing him to Oden who hasn't done much either.

DRob is the lofty goal for Bynum, I think he can do it but he can also be the next Kandi-Man.

As for Dampier, Bynum so far does poorly trying to score against tough Centers. Guys like Shaq and Dampier have made him ineffective. However, I attribute that to his youngness. I'd like to see him going up against tough Centers for the rest of the year to get him ready for the Playoffs. Unfortunately for his learning curve, there are very few tough and big Centers in the NBA.

The most important thing is that fire is back in his eyes. He was bored/nonchalant/entitled to begin the season. Now he's starting to put the effort out to make the All-Star team.

He's got a ways to go but he's looking pretty good as of today.

z0sa
11-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Sorry Allanon, but Bynum won't be a third the player DRob was. At any stage of his career. They don't even have similar skillset so why compare them?

Allanon
11-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Sorry Allanon, but Bynum won't be a third the player DRob was. At any stage of his career. They don't even have similar skillset so why compare them?

They are somewhat similar (moreso than any other Center I could think of and actually saw them play). I've heard that Robert Parish was a good defensive Center but have never really seen him play.

I wanted a Big man who was not best of the best but pretty damn good. Also one that I've seen play and one the Spur fans could relate to.

DRob was the closest.

A Bomb
11-27-2008, 01:33 AM
In the one game I have seen Bynum this year he got his ass beat up by Dampier and looked scared shitless when he shot the ball. But Dampier is having a pretty good year...

So you gonna base Bynum's potential from that one game u've seen against Dampier? Go watch all of his games from last year and see the progressions he has made from game to game and than you 'll see how baseless your assumption is. If he didn't have the season ending injury we would be having a debate on who is better between dh and bynum.

MrChug
11-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Oden's a HOF'er waiting to happen. Bynum isn't better than Oden, he's PLAYING BETTER than Oden (right now).

It's only 15 fkn games into Oden's career and Bynum's FOURTH SEASON, give it a rest.

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 10:09 AM
:lmao :lmao @ all the Bynum haters. He's already a defensive force out there in the paint, he has a very nice touch around the basket, is already a great rebounder, and is a pretty damn good passer already. It might look like he's getting his sea legs out there right now, but that's because he is. He's a huge kid that played limited basketball as a youth and is coming back from an injury that kept him off the basketball court for about 9 months, which is why he can sometimes look awkward. Once he gets his legs back under him the rest of the League is gonna start crying again. I predict he'll be ready to rock and roll by the time the playoffs come around. Him and Pau will be a dominant force down low. Add Odom as the first big coming off the bench and :lol :lol @ the rest of the League.

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Oden's a HOF'er waiting to happen. Bynum isn't better than Oden, he's PLAYING BETTER than Oden (right now).

It's only 15 fkn games into Oden's career and Bynum's FOURTH SEASON, give it a rest.

Bynum is only 3 months older than Oden :lol :lol

MrChug
11-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Bynum is only 3 months older than Oden :lol :lol

Are all Lakerfans as fkn dumb as you? Nope, Allanon makes good sense sometimes. Not even CLOSE to what I said :rolleyes

Read the post before you dig yourself in a hole you can't get out of.

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Are all Lakerfans as fkn dumb as you? Nope, Allanon makes good sense sometimes. Not even CLOSE to what I said :rolleyes

Read the post before you dig yourself in a hole you can't get out of.

:lol :lol You tried to insinuate that Bynum should be 4 years better or more seasoned or whatever you wanna call it then Oden and used it to gauge them as players and how they will perform in the future. Facts are Bynum is only 3 months older then Oden. Spin it however you want MrsChug :wakeup

Spur-Addict
11-27-2008, 12:01 PM
:lmao :lmao @ all the Bynum haters. .

I'm just stating my opinion, if you take that as hate then so be it. It's funny, I think that Laker fans are fans sometimes simply because they think there is envy from others. Rather comedic.

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm just stating my opinion, if you take that as hate then so be it. It's funny, I think that Laker fans are fans sometimes simply because they think there is envy from others. Rather comedic.

WTF are you talking about?? Laker fans could give a shit if you are envious or not. World doesn't revolve around you and your opinions.

People labeling any player a bust at 21 is hating. Not saying that's what you were doing, but many of your brethren spurs fans have been saying that for awhile now. Rather comedic that you can't notice it.

Spur-Addict
11-27-2008, 12:24 PM
WTF are you talking about?? Laker fans could give a shit if you are envious or not. World doesn't revolve around you and your opinions.

People labeling any player a bust at 21 is hating. Not saying that's what you were doing, but many of your brethren spurs fans have been saying that for awhile now. Rather comedic that you can't notice it.

It's glad to know you speak for all Laker fans, it's cool that you are all a uniform body. That's impressive.

I think the label of bust must be understood in terms of the standards he is being compared to by Laker fans, that's what THEY probably mean. It's sort of unreal expectations based on current performance. David Robinson? :lol

Get fucking real. That's what I notice. :blah

Allanon
11-27-2008, 12:32 PM
David Robinson? :lol

DRob didn't join the NBA until 24, and he hit the ground running when he did come.

Bynum has 3 years still to mature into a 20 point/15 rebound/4 blocks guy.

Time will tell.

tlongII
11-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Bynum's going to be very good. Bynum, Howard, and Oden will be the "gold standard" for centers in the NBA for the next 15 years.

Allanon
11-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Bynum's going to be very good. Bynum, Howard, and Oden will be the "gold standard" for centers in the NBA for the next 15 years.

I agree...maybe not 15 years but at least 10.

Spur-Addict
11-27-2008, 12:50 PM
DRob didn't join the NBA until 24, and he hit the ground running when he did come.

Bynum has 3 years still to mature into a 20 point/15 rebound/4 blocks guy.

Time will tell.

Whatever, were in the now. They don't even play similar anyways. Stop making excuses.

Allanon
11-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Whatever, were in the now. They don't even play similar anyways. Stop making excuses.

Excuses? I think he's doing a great job right now. I'd be happy with 15/10 from him this year.

I also think he's going to make the All Star team THIS year as a coach's vote.

I didn't say he was better than DRob right now, I said by the time it's all said and done he could be better.

Give it some time.

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 12:58 PM
It's glad to know you speak for all Laker fans, it's cool that you are all a uniform body. That's impressive.

I think the label of bust must be understood in terms of the standards he is being compared to by Laker fans, that's what THEY probably mean. It's sort of unreal expectations based on current performance. David Robinson? :lol

I do speak for all of them. Face it nobody gives a shit and decides to root for the Lakers or not because of your opinion on them. :rollin

Exactly, for you to think that Bynum can't be a HOF player or on Robinsons level in the future is just absurd. As Allanon pointed out to you Robinson joined the League at 24, Bynum barely turned 21. At 21 Bynum is already a solid player and one of the top defensive centers in the League (all of this with limited high school basketball). He is huge with freakishly long arms and a nice soft touch. Not really a stretch to think he can become a HOF player.

And this is pretty much the problem, "It's sort of unreal expectations based on current performance."

You are basing your opinion on current performance and more than likely only looking at boxscores, while other people (not just Laker fans, but experts as well) actually watch the games and base it on skill set and rate of improvement. Just something for you to ponder and think about in the future the next time you want to try to evaluate talent :cell

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 12:59 PM

:lmao :lmao @ you

Spur-Addict
11-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Excuses? I think he's doing a great job right now. I'd be happy with 15/10 from him this year.

I also think he's going to make the All Star team THIS year as a coach's vote.

I didn't say he was better than DRob right now, I said by the time it's all said and done he could be better.

Give it some time.

Yeah, alot of things COULD happen, he's been in the league three years. How about being a bit more concrete? Hurt a bit? Sure. Alot of players get injured.

But to just throw around D. Rob's name like that is quite absurd. I mean the kind of agility Robinson had Bynum can't even sniff, and that shit doesn't grow on trees to be picked at will. D. Rob pretty much could do anything. Sorry Bynum, maybe another comparison suits you, but it isn't this guy.

manufor3
11-27-2008, 01:06 PM
oden is overrated

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Bynum is young and still developing. He is a top center in this League with defensive presence alone.

And :lmao @ you caring if his dunks look girlish or not. Which I have no idea WTF you're talking about :lol :lol

Spur-Addict
11-27-2008, 01:07 PM
I do speak for all of them. Face it nobody gives a shit and decides to root for the Lakers or not because of your opinion on them. :rollin

Exactly, for you to think that Bynum can't be a HOF player or on Robinsons level in the future is just absurd. As Allanon pointed out to you Robinson joined the League at 24, Bynum barely turned 21. At 21 Bynum is already a solid player and one of the top defensive centers in the League (all of this with limited high school basketball). He is huge with freakishly long arms and a nice soft touch. Not really a stretch to think he can become a HOF player.

And this is pretty much the problem, "It's sort of unreal expectations based on current performance."

You are basing your opinion on current performance and more than likely only looking at boxscores, while other people (not just Laker fans, but experts as well) actually watch the games and base it on skill set and rate of improvement. Just something for you to ponder and think about in the future the next time you want to try to evaluate talent :cell

Really? Alright. :lol

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Yeah, alot of things COULD happen, he's been in the league three years. How about being a bit more concrete? Hurt a bit? Sure. Alot of players get injured.

But to just throw around D. Rob's name like that is quite absurd. I mean the kind of agility Robinson had Bynum can't even sniff, and that shit doesn't grow on trees to be picked at will. D. Rob pretty much could do anything. Sorry Bynum, maybe another comparison suits you, but it isn't this guy.

Robinson was never even the best center during his time. He's a great player and a HOF'er, but get off of his nuts already.

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Really? Alright. :lol

Allanon
11-27-2008, 01:10 PM

DRob was the best I could come up with in the top 50. Hakeem perhaps? Just insert a Top50 Center and I'm fine. Although I didn't see any of the top centers before the 90s.

As for concrete, let's go with:

1) 1st All Star appearance this year at age 21
2) 15 points and 10+ rebounds average this year as a 4th scoring option

That's pretty impressive.

Spur-Addict
11-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Childish attempts at frustrating do nothing. But lets be honest, he doesn't play like Robinson. If you look at what i'm saying, do I ever say he cannot become a really good player? No, no I do not.

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 01:12 PM
I doubt he makes the All-Star team this year, but he'll be very very solid by the time the playoffs roll around.

Spur-Addict
11-27-2008, 01:13 PM
DRob was the best I could come up with in the top 50. Hakeem perhaps? Just insert a Top50 Center and I'm fine. Although I didn't see any of the top centers before the 90s.

As for concrete, let's go with:

1) 1st All Star appearance this year at age 21
2) 15 points and 10+ rebounds average this year as a 4th scoring option

That's pretty impressive.

He's no where near the agility level of these players. Maybe it's best off we just let him be him. Unless a more suiting comparison comes up.

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Childish attempts at frustrating do nothing. But lets be honest, he doesn't play like Robinson. If you look at what i'm saying, do I ever say he cannot become a really good player? No, no I do not.

You already stated your opinion, we know what you think. And get of off Robinson's nuts. I'm sure he doesn't appreciate it.

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 01:14 PM
He's no where near the agility level of these players. Maybe it's best off we just let him be him. Unless a more suiting comparison comes up.

Well he's actually pretty agile and athletic, so your so called "observations" are shit :lol :lol

Spur-Addict
11-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Well he's actually pretty agile and athletic, so your so called "observations" are shit :lol :lol

So Bynum is athletic as Robinson? Fail.

Allanon
11-27-2008, 01:16 PM

That's fine by me. I brought it up once, you guys keep bringing it back up again, not me :)

I do think he's EXTREMELY agile for a 7 footer

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 01:18 PM
So Bynum is athletic as Robinson? Fail.

You actually said nowhere near. Fail.

Spur-Addict
11-27-2008, 01:21 PM
That's fine by me. I brought it up once, you guys keep bringing it back up again, not me :)

I do think he's EXTREMELY agile for a 7 footer

He is, there is no denying that.

If anything he's a much downgraded version of Wilt, without the shitty competition. It seems that his frame, movement and tendencies are somewhat similar. Well at least more so than anyone we are trying to compare him to.

Spur-Addict
11-27-2008, 01:22 PM
You actually said nowhere near. Fail.

:lol

MrChug
11-27-2008, 01:22 PM
:lol :lol You tried to insinuate that Bynum should be...more seasoned

WTF?? Do you even know the game of basketball? Do you know sports? If the shoe were on the other foot and Oden was in his 4th year would Bynum be as good as he is now? You're too easy to pick apart but I'll try to sum it up:

YES, that's (your post) exactly what I'm saying :rolleyes What an idiot.

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 01:42 PM
WTF?? Do you even know the game of basketball? Do you know sports? If the shoe were on the other foot and Oden was in his 4th year would Bynum be as good as he is now? You're too easy to pick apart but I'll try to sum it up:

YES, that's (your post) exactly what I'm saying :rolleyes What an idiot.

Well lets see Bynum hardly played high school basketball. Did not really play as a rookie, and saw limited time as a second year player, before having a good half year in his 3rd season. Oden played throughout his high school career, played major minutes as a freshman in college, yet didn't play last year. But yet you try to paint it as if Bynum has 4 years more basketball experience then Oden when that's not the case at all. It's much closer than that.

A bit disingenuous or just ignorant of the facts? You tell me. :frying:

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Be stupid and homerish if you want, but come Christmas day, if the Lakers dont win, and Bynum sucks it up like he always does against good teams, I wonder if you will be :lol then. His dunks are soft. If you blow on him in that paint, you can knock him off balance. He doesnt finish strong like Oden, Shaq, Amare, and Howard in the paint. I think Bynum could have a bright future if he stays healthy, but as of now, Lakers fans have made him the second highest overrated player in the league, behind Oden of course.

I really don't care about Christmas day. I could care less about a meaningless regular season game. No he's not Shaq, Amare, or Howard in the paint but not many are. Yes he still loses position right now, but he's still young and a work in progress. As for Oden all he can do offensively is dunk, but if you're so impressed with dunking strong and looking like a man then go ahead and go gaga over it. Not really sure what your fascination with dunking like a man is.

Allanon
11-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Be stupid and homerish if you want, but come Christmas day, if the Lakers dont win, and Bynum sucks it up like he always does against good teams, I wonder if you will be :lol then. His dunks are soft. If you blow on him in that paint, you can knock him off balance. He doesnt finish strong like Oden, Shaq, Amare, and Howard in the paint. I think Bynum could have a bright future if he stays healthy, but as of now, Lakers fans have made him the second highest overrated player in the league, behind Oden of course.

I have to disagree.

1) Celtics will get hammered Christmas Day, they won't know what hit them
2) Bynum's playing well
3) Bynum's currently the 2nd best Center in the West behind Yao. Technically the rejuvenated Shaq is but his effective minutes are too limited.

In my opinion, Shaq is Bynum's only competition for the 2nd spot on the All Star team this year. It will either be Shaq or Bynum.

Bynum and Laker fans, myself included, thought he'd be working on his offensive game this year. Turns out Phil had other plans for him and is making him work on Defense first. Phil rarely call plays for Bynum, most of his points come off 2nd opportunities and broken plays.

If Bynum was the 2nd option, he'd be scoring in the 20s by now.

But I agree with Phil's way of doing things, make him a Defensive force first and then reward him with touches. Defensively, Bynum has been a standout this year and drastically improved Lakers D along with the Phantom/Ghost/Stealth.

Spur-Addict
11-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Yeah, but as of NOW, Bynum is Brendan Haywood on steroids playing with a top three player in the world on a top five team.

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Yeah, but as of NOW, Bynum is Brendan Haywood on steroids playing with a top three player in the world on a top five team.

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 02:07 PM
If Bynum had an offensive game that could propel him to be an second option, then he would. You are highly mistaken if you think Bynum is going to make the allstar. Shaq is playing much, much better then Bynum.

No one wants to see Bynum succeed more than I do, but Im still waiting to see him thrive in that equal opportunity offense that we have, especially after all the shit he and his agent talked before he got that contract.

It's not equal opportunity :lol :lol For you to think that is laughable. You're just butthurt that his agent asked for a ton of money. Newsflash that's what agents do. Get over it.

Allanon
11-27-2008, 02:13 PM
If Bynum had an offensive game that could propel him to be an second option, then he would. You are highly mistaken if you think Bynum is going to make the allstar. Shaq is playing much, much better then Bynum.

No one wants to see Bynum succeed more than I do, but Im still waiting to see him thrive in that equal opportunity offense that we have, especially after all the shit he and his agent talked before he got that contract.

Yeah, it's between Shaq and Bynum. Shaq is still the best Center and unstoppable in spurts. The only downside is age, he's a beast for about 15 minutes a game.

I don't think the Lakers are equal opportunity...it's very much centered around Kobe, Pau. Lamar on the 2nd unit and Fish just likes to shoot. Bynum's a 4th/5th option.

He and his agent DID talk alot of shit. But I think Phil made up his mind earlier that Bynum needs to work on Defense rather than Offense. Remember when Bynum said he wanted to average 20 points and then Phil shot him down right away. I think Phillip has gone out of his way to emphasize defense with him.

I think it's too easy for Bynum to score, and I too don't want to see him get too much offensive success right now. I'd like to see him earn it through a Defense first attitude and really become a stopper. The O game will come, I have no doubt he could score 20+ if he got 15 shots a game.

MrChug
11-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Well lets see Bynum hardly played high school basketball. Did not really play as a rookie, and saw limited time as a second year player, before having a good half year in his 3rd season. Oden played throughout his high school career, played major minutes as a freshman in college, yet didn't play last year. But yet you try to paint it as if Bynum has 4 years more basketball experience then Oden when that's not the case at all. It's much closer than that.

A bit disingenuous or just ignorant of the facts? You tell me. :frying:

If that's your argument, you're diggin yourself deeper than I thought. You couldn't even answer the original question. It was hypothetical, but if you can really say that roles switched that Bynum would be better than Oden in the same situation...damn you're dumn.

lil_penny
11-27-2008, 02:45 PM
from espn.....

This slimmer version of Oden is starting to make an impact already. He's third among all rookies in PER, and is the best defensive rebounder and second-best offensive rebounder of the class.

He is also craftier on offense than he gets credit for, using patience and some slight shoulder feints to create better angles for finishing. And he is a long way from figuring it out, which is scary to consider.
Remember how everyone was so impressed with how Al Horford (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3213) started the season last year? Horford's 8.7 points per game and 7.4 rebounds per game last November tagged him as the big man to watch in the coming years. Oden is at 8.5 ppg and 7.1 rpg, but is playing 12 minutes per game fewer than Horford did. Add in Oden's 1.67 blocks per game (almost double what Al did last year: 0.94), and then consider he's 18 months younger than Big Al, and it's more than possible that Oden will grow to be as special a player as the hype suggested

Spur-Addict
11-27-2008, 03:04 PM

I know kid, the truth is hard to accept, but that's what he is right now. Haywood on steroids with a great player and team.

PPG 11.5
RPG 8.9
APG 2.0 <<<<<Bynum
SPG 0.7
BPG 2.4
FG% 0.527
FT% 0.708
3P% 0.000
MPG 28.7

PPG 10.6
RPG 7.2
ASP .9
SPG .4 <<<<<<Haywood
BPG 1.7
FG% 52.8
FT% 73.5
3P% 0.00
MPG 27.9

They have roughly the same role. Those are Haywood's last year averages, compared to Bynum's current averages. I'd say Bynum has a much better team all around which makes things easier. Bynum is better I agree, that's why Bynum is Haywood on roids. He's bigger, a bit more talented, but right now pretty much the same.

ambchang
11-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Laker fans are amazing.
First it was Kobe COULD be as good as Jordan.
Now Bynum COULD be as good as Robinson.
All this based on players' age, and not their actual accomplishments in the years in the league.

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Jordan was the one that coined the triangle offense an equal opportunity offense. Bynum getting a huge contract hurts me none, but it will hurt the Lakers salary cap if he doenst pan out.

How old are you...10? And why the fuck do you keep laughing after your own stupid comments. Lakers fans like you are pathetic.

First, it was Odom would be to Kobe what Pippen was to Jordan.
Second, Luke would be a good player... FAIL!!!
Third, Farmar would be as good as Parker.... FAIL!!!
Now Bynum is an allstar!!! Wow!!! The league must really be suffering to allow a guy like Bynum to make the allstar with his numbers and level of play.

Assuming Bynum continues to get better, he could be an allstar, but its pathetic to even go there at this point. The OP made a great comparison... Bynum and Haywood are very comparable.

And this post was directed towards Purple and Gold.

First off don't worry about me, how I post, or how old you think I am. I could care less about you and yours so lets keep it mutual. Your a sorry ass Laker fan, I've seen your no patience type before. And no this is not the same triangle as Jordan's. Anybody with half an eye can see that.

We talking about Bynum here and nobody else so why don't we keep it too that. But if you want my opinion on Odom (I'll be happy when his contract is up), Luke (always thought he was ok), Farmar (good but not Parker). I said Bynum will be a future All-Star, just not this year. He's a top defensive player right now though. Very different. So we actually kinda agree other then the comparison to Haywood. Not even close, Bynum right now is a lot younger than Haywood and will continue to improve. Even now has more defensive impact. But since you love to live in the now and can't look past Christmas day you will be disappointed.

As for your cap concerns big men get paid that much, this is the NBA. IF you haven't noticed 7 footers don't grow on trees. They get paid that much cause they command that much money.

And what's your fascination with if he dunks like a man or not. Sounds like your homophobic tendencies are rising again. Keep your pathetic "have to dunk like a man to impress me" shit too yourself. 2 points is 2 points whether it looks nice or not. Sorry ass wannabe Laker fan more interested in style over substance. Take your bandwagon Kobe ballwashing ass outta here. You give Laker fans a bad name.

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 03:43 PM
If that's your argument, you're diggin yourself deeper than I thought. You couldn't even answer the original question. It was hypothetical, but if you can really say that roles switched that Bynum would be better than Oden in the same situation...damn you're dumn.

So what's the original question MrsChug. I already called you out for trying to insinuate Bynum should be four years ahead of Oden when he's actually only 3 months older. I'm interested in your response. Go ahead and spin away :toast

Spur-Addict
11-27-2008, 03:47 PM
So we actually kinda agree other then the comparison to Haywood. Not even close, Bynum right now is a lot younger than Haywood and will continue to improve. Even now has more defensive impact. But since you love to live in the now and can't look past Christmas day you will be disappointed.

If we are comparing skill and ability now, then age is not a factor in present evaluations. He is a bit better defensively, slighty overall, hence the steroids reference.

picnroll
11-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Bynum is young and still developing. He is a top center in this League with defensive presence alone.

And :lmao @ you caring if his dunks look girlish or not. Which I have no idea WTF you're talking about :lol :lol

Bynum lacks one thing that all the great centers, Russell, Wilt, Hakeem, DRob, Shaq had, great, great athletciem. Possible exception Kareem. Bynum is a middling athlete. Athletically Oden has the potential to be among the greats. Whether he pans out remains to be seen. Bynum? Little chance.

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 03:56 PM
I know kid, the truth is hard to accept, but that's what he is right now. Haywood on steroids with a great player and team.

PPG 11.5
RPG 8.9
APG 2.0 <<<<<Bynum
SPG 0.7
BPG 2.4
FG% 0.527
FT% 0.708
3P% 0.000
MPG 28.7

PPG 10.6
RPG 7.2
ASP .9
SPG .4 <<<<<<Haywood
BPG 1.7
FG% 52.8
FT% 73.5
3P% 0.00
MPG 27.9

They have roughly the same role. Those are Haywood's last year averages, compared to Bynum's current averages. I'd say Bynum has a much better team all around which makes things easier. Bynum is better I agree, that's why Bynum is Haywood on roids. He's bigger, a bit more talented, but right now pretty much the same.

If you only wanna go by offense only then yes Bynum at this point this year (13 games) is similar to Haywood last year although Bynum is a much better passer. But when you add defense to it Bynum is much better. He alters a ton of shots, much more than Haywood does. Is a much better rebounder, the box score doesn't show the dominance there because Pau and Odom are more than capable of gobbling up their share as well. Only thing Haywood is better at is holding position, but even then I don't think he's that much better. Add to the fact that he just turned 21 while Haywood won't get any better then it's a bad comparison. But I see your infatuated with the now also. Doesn't pertain to 21 year olds as it does with others.

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 03:59 PM
If we are comparing skill and ability now, then age is not a factor in present evaluations. He is a bit better defensively, slighty overall, hence the steroids reference.

Then we are talking about two different things. Whenever talking about players of that young an age potential will always be a factor. Disingenuous to not count it. I will always talk about upside when comparing a young player to a seasoned vet. When talking about two youngsters then it's not as much a factor.

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Bynum lacks one thing that all the great centers, Russell, Wilt, Hakeem, DRob, Shaq had, great, great athletciem. Possible exception Kareem. Bynum is a middling athlete. Athletically Oden has the potential to be among the greats. Whether he pans out remains to be seen. Bynum? Little chance.

Bynum is very athletic, but no not as much at this point of his career as the great ones. And why do spurs fans continue to put Robinson up there with the Russells, Wilts, of the NBA. He was a great player and a HOF, but he was not a Russell or Wilt by any stretch of the imagination.

And just to let you know sports, including basketball, is dependent on more than just being athletic.

Spur-Addict
11-27-2008, 04:12 PM
If you only wanna go by offense only then yes Bynum at this point this year (13 games) is similar to Haywood last year although Bynum is a much better passer. But when you add defense to it Bynum is much better. He alters a ton of shots, much more than Haywood does. Is a much better rebounder, the box score doesn't show the dominance there because Pau and Odom are more than capable of gobbling up their share as well. Only thing Haywood is better at is holding position, but even then I don't think he's that much better. Add to the fact that he just turned 21 while Haywood won't get any better then it's a bad comparison. But I see your infatuated with the now also. Doesn't pertain to 21 year olds as it does with others.

The reason I talk of the now is because nobody knows where the man will plateau at, this future stuff may not pan out the way people think.

Also, Bynum doesn't play many minutes with Pau and Lamar on the court at the same time.

Although other players get rebounds, they also box out affording easier rebounding attempts. It isn't like Rodman is out there getting everything.

As far as passing goes, it's easy to look like a great passer when you play with potent offensive weapons, some of the best at their positions. I wouldn't say he's that much better of a passer, to say there is a dramatic gap is a stretch.

Defensively he is better overall.

Spur-Addict
11-27-2008, 04:16 PM
I have news for you rookie. Most great players have already established themselves as a great player, or on the verge of being great four years into the league. Now you can start claiming Bynum is going to be a late bloomer, just like you probably did with Kwame.

The truth of the matter is Bynum is barely better than Haywood, and if he keeps playing like a pussy in the middle, hes going to be remembered for plays like this.

hsCiTq4RnY0

Damn, he practically punched that shit. :lol

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Panties in a twist, huh? Calm down kid, everyone dont wear pruple and gold blinders like you do. Me, a "Kobe ballswahser?" Im the one that coined that phrase for all you "Kobe is better than Jordan" nutcases.

I have news for you rookie. Most great players have already established themselves as a great player, or on the verge of being great four years into the league. Now you can start claiming Bynum is going to be a late bloomer, just like you probably did with Kwame.

The truth of the matter is Bynum is barely better than Haywood, and if he keeps playing like a pussy in the middle, hes going to be remembered for plays like this.

:lol :lol @ you assuming stupid shit. Get upset I call your homophobic ass a Kobe ballwasher?? That's like you telling me I think Odom is worth more than $8 M a year. Or you think I thought those players you mentioned before would be great. Fact is you don't know shit what I think and all you can do is assume. And no not all great players establish themselves as great by the fourth year. Every player is different and has their own circumstances. I would call Nash great as much as I hate him, but it did take awhile for him to bloom. So keep your assumptions to yourself and your fascination with dunking like a man to yourself son.

Purple & Gold
11-27-2008, 04:29 PM
The reason I talk of the now is because nobody knows where the man will plateau at, this future stuff may not pan out the way people think.

Also, Bynum doesn't play many minutes with Pau and Lamar on the court at the same time.

Although other players get rebounds, they also box out affording easier rebounding attempts. It isn't like Rodman is out there getting everything.

As far as passing goes, it's easy to look like a great passer when you play with potent offensive weapons, some of the best at their positions. I wouldn't say he's that much better of a passer, to say there is a dramatic gap is a stretch.

Defensively he is better overall.

Nope nobody knows how they will pan out which is why you can have a discussion. He always plays with either Pau or Lamar always. And they are both excellent rebounders. And if you watched the Lakers more it's Bynum that does most of the boxing up so either Pau or Lamar can gobble the rebounds up, which is exactly why I brought it up. Watch the Lakers play more, Bynum is a very good passer. It's not really a discussion, he is a much better passer. By the playoffs I think his game will be in full swing. I'll come back to this then. That is if he can stay healthy.

Spur-Addict
11-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Nope nobody knows how they will pan out which is why you can have a discussion. He always plays with either Pau or Lamar always. And they are both excellent rebounders. And if you watched the Lakers more it's Bynum that does most of the boxing up so either Pau or Lamar can gobble the rebounds up, which is exactly why I brought it up. Watch the Lakers play more, Bynum is a very good passer. It's not really a discussion, he is a much better passer. By the playoffs I think his game will be in full swing. I'll come back to this then. That is if he can stay healthy.

So Pau and Lamar don't box out mostly? No wonder they are so soft, geeezzzzz. Or is it because they are soft which causes them not to box out all the time? Either way it's funny. :lol

picnroll
11-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Bynum is very athletic, but no not as much at this point of his career as the great ones. And why do spurs fans continue to put Robinson up there with the Russells, Wilts, of the NBA. He was a great player and a HOF, but he was not a Russell or Wilt by any stretch of the imagination.

And just to let you know sports, including basketball, is dependent on more than just being athletic.

I didn't rank them. I didn't say Robinson was better than Wilt or Russell. In my opinion though he is in that group of greatest all-time centers I listed. And imo Bynum can be a very good center but I highly doubt at the end of his career he'll crack that group. I think at very best he'll be in the next tier down of 5 or 6 centers that've played. If you don't like that opinion, gee, too bad.

Spur-Addict
11-27-2008, 04:54 PM

Maybe i'm wrong altogether, maybe it's Bynum who boxes out two men and his teammates get the boards. :lol

Even Rick Fox called this team soft the other night, and said they wont be winning shit if they keep up this Gay ass play. You cant debate with guys like this clown, because as soon as you prove him wrong on one stupid point he tries to make, he jumps to another stupid point.

Yeah, but it's fun sometimes. I know I can't convert people, if I tried it would be gradual anyways. There's nothing I could do with this one, he's lost in the flames.

A Bomb
11-28-2008, 01:36 AM
Well you guys are right about one thing, Bynum's game is totally different from DRob. Athletically DRob is in a world of his own, only other center that comes close to him is Olajuwon. Just too bad he never had "it", whether that be the killer instinct, or aggression.

Bynum's game resembles Duncan's but with more length, explosiveness and strength. All he needs to do is stay healthy, and grow into his body.

A Bomb
11-28-2008, 01:44 AM
[quote=lakaluva;2928705]Panties in a twist, huh? Calm down kid, everyone dont wear pruple and gold blinders like you do. Me, a "Kobe ballswahser?" Im the one that coined that phrase for all you "Kobe is better than Jordan" nutcases.

Um, dude how many times have u watched the healthy Bynum play last year? "barely better than Haywood" ??? ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!
Go check how many high school games Bynum has played, he's still a pup in terms of basketball experience. For someone with such little experience to do what he is doing right now is what makes him so special. He's got all the tools to become one of the greats and he seems to have the right attitude and he is a quick learner.

If you actually watch the Laker's games you'd know that he's not getting the oppurtunity to show his stuff, because the Laker's have two of the biggest chuckers in the backcourt. Phil was also experimenting with Bynum on the highpost with Gasol in the blocks also, and his first time coming off an injury so he needs time to trust his knees again.

Bob Lanier
11-28-2008, 01:51 AM
Even Rick Fox called this team soft the other night, and said they wont be winning shit if they keep up this Gay ass play.
Really?

mystargtr34
11-28-2008, 02:31 AM
Purple and Gold has over 2000 posts, have they all been this childish and full of complete and utter shit?

z0sa
11-28-2008, 02:51 AM
Most Lakerfans acting like Bynum has zero experience and has done all this without the help of his coaches, teammates, and oh yeah...

HES BEEN WORKING WITH KAREEM ABDUL JABBAR ONE ON ONE FOR 4 YEARS.

I'd have expected a legit 20/10 center every night by now, 21 or not. That's just a big fat copout.

Allanon
11-28-2008, 03:29 AM
Most Lakerfans acting like Bynum has zero experience and has done all this without the help of his coaches, teammates, and oh yeah...

I'd have expected a legit 20/10 center every night by now, 21 or not. That's just a big fat copout.

Bynum gets 8 shots a night and rarely gets plays called for him. Give him 15 shots a game and you'll have your 20/10.

DrHouse
11-28-2008, 04:55 AM
Bynum is just starting to get back into rhthym. I don't know why so many people, including Laker fans, expected him to come out the gates firing on all cylinders.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. Bynum's minutes are being watched carefully because this team absolutely needs him for the playoffs if they are to advance.

mystargtr34
11-28-2008, 07:51 AM
Bynum gets 8 shots a night and rarely gets plays called for him. Give him 15 shots a game and you'll have your 20/10.

Unfortunately it doesnt work like that, last season he was the second option and he averaged 13. He still hasnt proven he can consistently score on the low block, even last season most of his points were off put backs and alley oops with an occasional hook thrown in.

You need alot more than that to average 20 a game in the NBA.

MrChug
11-28-2008, 08:09 AM
So what's the original question MrsChug.

I've asked it twice and it's a miracle you function if you can't answer it. The entire board (even Laker fans...most far smarter than you) has flamed you. If you've been called an idiot 100 times here (I think it's more), it's probably because you are. How do you get along in daily life if you can't make sense here? Poor kid, go cry to your friends...wait-you probably don't have any.

Allanon
11-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Unfortunately it doesnt work like that, last season he was the second option and he averaged 13. He still hasnt proven he can consistently score on the low block, even last season most of his points were off put backs and alley oops with an occasional hook thrown in.

You need alot more than that to average 20 a game in the NBA.

Last year was Bynum's breakout year. He showed improvement month by month, so his average looked mediocre. He was the 3rd/4th option last year, not the 2nd option.

October - 4 points 4 rebounds
November - 11 points 10 rebounds
December - 14 points 9 rebounds
January - 17 points 9 rebounds

So looking at his 13 points per game last year was deceiving, you gotta remember he was a bench player until Kwame Brown got injured.

Bynum scores easily with great footwork, he wasn't so good in the first couple of games but the last couple of games, he's getting his post-up back, dunking and explosiveness.

Give Bynum 15 shots and he'll easily average 20.

tlongII
11-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Bynum won't get his 15 shots a game until after he has that floating bone spur removed from his foot. He needs to get scoped.

JamStone
11-28-2008, 01:40 PM

Because Kareem as a coach has a history of turning young athletic 7-footers into 20/10 NBA centers?

z0sa
11-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Because Kareem as a coach has a history of turning young athletic 7-footers into 20/10 NBA centers?

He has all the tools to be a good bit better than Kareem physically, and with kareem teaching him one on one, you would expect less after 4 years of mentoring?

:lmao

Here, let me spell it out for you, because you must have misunderstood:

Bynum already averages close to 10 boards a game as it is - so the 10 part of the 20/10 is easily within grasp. And hes always shown good things on the defensive end, and makes himself a big body on D.

So kareem's main job is offense ... and so 4 years later, you don't reasonably expect a 20/10 center by now, 21 years of age or not?

Again, :lol

Spur-Addict
11-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Well you guys are right about one thing, Bynum's game is totally different from DRob. Athletically DRob is in a world of his own, only other center that comes close to him is Olajuwon. Just too bad he never had "it", whether that be the killer instinct, or aggression.

Bynum's game resembles Duncan's but with more length, explosiveness and strength. All he needs to do is stay healthy, and grow into his body.

:lmao....Riiiiiiiiiggghhhhht.

Purple and Gold has over 2000 posts, have they all been this childish and full of complete and utter shit?

Most likely, I wouldn't doubt it.

:lol--Tell em.

This guy receives more excuses than any player i've seen in a long time. I don't know about all that twenty and ten stuff, but for several years with Jabbar and the famed Illy Willy Nilly Jackson, the progress has been so gradual it's a joke to have all time great expectations. There's a statement in here about great players establishing themselves relatively early in the league in this thread, that is pretty accurate.

JamStone
11-29-2008, 12:16 AM
He has all the tools to be a good bit better than Kareem physically, and with kareem teaching him one on one, you would expect less after 4 years of mentoring?

:lmao

Here, let me spell it out for you, because you must have misunderstood:

Bynum already averages close to 10 boards a game as it is - so the 10 part of the 20/10 is easily within grasp. And hes always shown good things on the defensive end, and makes himself a big body on D.

So kareem's main job is offense ... and so 4 years later, you don't reasonably expect a 20/10 center by now, 21 years of age or not?

Again, :lol

Just like Magic should be a great NBA head coach or Isiah Thomas should know how to run an NBA franchise.

Just because players are great, that doesn't mean they can be great coaches. And, even if they are, that doesn't mean the player they coach really connects to the coaching. Beyond that, Andrew Bynum did show significant improvement last year to the point where one could expect him to be a 20/10 type of guy, but with guys like Kobe and Pau, it's difficult to get enough touches to score 20 points a game, and Phil Jackson even stated as much at the beginning of the season when Bynum expressed his desire to be an all star and put up 20/10. Jackson all but shut that idea out saying he won't be getting those amount of touches to be a 20 ppg guy. In the minutes he's playing, he's rebounding at a perfectly fine rate.

It's not whether Bynum should be a 20/10 guy or not or is capable of being a 20/10 guy. His situation as a third scorer on a deep offensive deep doesn't really allow him to be such. And, back to the original comment, Kareem being a great player doesn't mean he can teach any other player to be a 20/10 guy.

DrHouse
11-29-2008, 03:40 AM
Bynum is 21. Shut the fuck up, everyone. Nobody here knows whether he'll turn out to be an All-Star or just a good player.

What I do know is he is on his way to averaging a solid 15/10/2-3 this season if he keeps up this pace. Good enough for the Lakers to win it all IMHO.

A Bomb
11-29-2008, 05:27 AM
I know you are new, but fuck it. The simple fact that you made this comment forces me to disregard any and everything you have to say from here on out.:wow

I might be new to the board, but you're new to basketball from some of the dumb comments u make. So tell me the differences in Bynum's and Duncan's game, if you think the comparison is so wrong. Let me guess you can't because all you do is read the boxscores and judge a player on stats disregarding the circumstances.

Also btw, Luke was a very good player in his contract year, but after he hit payday he got lazy and has regressed.

Only reason you want to disregard me is, because you're being exposed as a bandwagon fan who knows jackshit about the lakers.

21_Blessings
11-29-2008, 05:34 AM

Per 36 minutes :rolleyes

Here's some real statistics tha actually have some meaning (unlike per 36):

Oden is breaking even 0.0 (http://www.82games.com/0809/0809POR.HTM) in production when he's on the court. Whereas Bynum is +10.6 (http://www.82games.com/0809/0809LAL.HTM).

It's pretty obvious you haven't seen much of Bynum or you're just talking out of your ass (probably both).

Yes, Bynum is better offensively but he is MUCH better defensively and it isn't even close. Oden is holding his opponents (mostly against 2nd stringers :lol) to .533 FG% and a PER of 16.6 (http://www.82games.com/0809/08POR12.HTM#bypos) while Bynum is holding opposing centers to .400 FG% (one of the best values in the NBA for centers) and a low PER of 10 (http://www.82games.com/0809/08LAL12.HTM#bypos)

Right now Bynum, only 3 months older than Oden, is a better player in just about every facet of the game. That's just a fact backed by a plethora of statistics. Bynum has transformed the Lakers into one of the top defensive teams in the NBA. Easily a DPOY candidate at this point in the season.

A Bomb
11-29-2008, 06:21 AM
:lmao....Riiiiiiiiiggghhhhht.

Most likely, I wouldn't doubt it.

:lol--Tell em.

This guy receives more excuses than any player i've seen in a long time. I don't know about all that twenty and ten stuff, but for several years with Jabbar and the famed Illy Willy Nilly Jackson, the progress has been so gradual it's a joke to have all time great expectations. There's a statement in here about great players establishing themselves relatively early in the league in this thread, that is pretty accurate.

Tell me somethings in Bynum's game that makes you think he won't be a very very good center? Kareem has worked with kandiman and kwame and they were both atheltic so that should automatically make them superstars?

First 2 years of Bynum's career he didn't have the conditioning and had bascially no basketball experience. Last year half the times he was a backup to kwame and when he did start his minutes were limited, because Lakers were blowing the other teams out.

Olajuwon wasn't a major scoring threat till he was a junior, Ewing till his Senior year, Duncan his senior year and Drob played in a crap conference. Those guys also came into to the league with ready bodies, good enough to compete, while Bynum his first year he had to shed his baby fat. All those guys were first options on offense when they came into the league, they didn't have a selfish egomanic like Kobe to defer to either. At 21 years of age besides olajuwon, the others did not have a better game than Bynum, plus Bynum is longer and bigger than all of them. At 21 Bynum rarely gets into foul trouble, is already a good free throw shooter, has a real nice touch/stroke and he doesn't force things. Tell me 1 other legit 7 feet 1 who has improved over a span of 3 years like Bynum has, and at his age.

Ghazi
11-29-2008, 06:48 AM
I'm very curious as to how a Spurs board has lured so many Laker trolls. Flat out trolls I tell you!

Spur-Addict
11-29-2008, 06:53 AM
First 2 years of Bynum's career he didn't have the conditioning and had bascially no basketball experience. Last year half the times he was a backup to kwame and when he did start his minutes were limited, because Lakers were blowing the other teams out.

Olajuwon wasn't a major scoring threat till he was a junior, Ewing till his Senior year, Duncan his senior year and Drob played in a crap conference. Those guys also came into to the league with ready bodies, good enough to compete, while Bynum his first year he had to shed his baby fat. All those guys were first options on offense when they came into the league, they didn't have a selfish egomanic like Kobe to defer to either. At 21 years of age besides olajuwon, the others did not have a better game than Bynum, plus Bynum is longer and bigger than all of them. At 21 Bynum rarely gets into foul trouble, is already a good free throw shooter, has a real nice touch/stroke and he doesn't force things. Tell me 1 other legit 7 feet 1 who has improved over a span of 3 years like Bynum has, and at his age.

It takes over two years to get into basketball shape? Excuse me, but that's bullshit.

If he's so out of shape, and if he has low experience, that would be a good time to get into shape and get experience. Again, bullshit.

All these guys you speak of are more agile than Bynum. Also, Hakeem and duncan never had amazing bodies, even in the prime of their career they were never flat out chizzled. Bynum has a better physique appearance wise than those two ever had. But as we know, that doesn't always correlate with skill level. Duncan still has some "baby fat", stop making excuses.

Dwight Howard. But he has improved much better than Bynum.

A Bomb
11-29-2008, 07:47 AM
It takes over two years to get into basketball shape? Excuse me, but that's bullshit.

If he's so out of shape, and if he has low experience, that would be a good time to get into shape and get experience. Again, bullshit.

All these guys you speak of are more agile than Bynum. Also, Hakeem and duncan never had amazing bodies, even in the prime of their career they were never flat out chizzled. Bynum has a better physique appearance wise than those two ever had. But as we know, that doesn't always correlate with skill level. Duncan still has some "baby fat", stop making excuses.

Dwight Howard. But he has improved much better than Bynum.

No excuses there, just stating facts. It's a fact Bynum came into the league as a project, had no bball skills besides his 33 inch verticle, nice touch and his 300+lbs of baby fat, go look at his scouting reports. Yes Bynum worked super hard to have a chizzled body and it's a fact he works hard, go look at his pictures from the McDonald's game and compare his body now. But again it takes time to grow into that body, not all are like Shaq / Dwight. First 2 years in the league, bynum used to get winded after sprinting up and down the court a couple times which is also a fact.

Olajuwon, Drob did have more agility than Bynum but not EWing or Duncan at the age of 21. The last 10 games of last season b4 the injury, Bynum was very agile,quick and explosive, he would shut down opposing point guards on pick n' roll wiht his length and quickness. Also his moves in the paint were more decisive and quicker, and again this has to do with trusting his knees and gaining more strength. Doesn't matter how agile you are if a stronger player is pushing you from the back, you 're gonna look methodical. It's more of a strength issue than agility.

Wrong, Dwight did not improve as much as Bynum in his first 3 years. This is in terms of both body and skill wise. Dwight added more muscle to his already muscular frame while Bynum went from a 300+lbs of fat to what he is now. Yes, Dwight did add more post moves, but his improvement has more to do with his strength and explosiveness than actual basketball skills. Dwight is what he is, he WON'T AND WILL NOT get much better than what he is right now, he has no touch what so ever and not long enough to go over bigger centers, his game depends on strength and explosiveness. He will always have problems against bigger centers and his free throw shooting you know about. With Bynum he has already developed into a good low post scorer with either his left or right hand. He already has a decent 15 footer has a beautiful stroke/touch, passing, and shoots free throws real well. Once he starts trusting his knees, gets back in condition like last year pre injury and adds power, explosiveness to his game than watch out.

IronMexican
11-29-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm very curious as to how a Spurs board has lured so many Laker trolls. Flat out trolls I tell you!

It happened when we all joined in the WCF. Most trolls left, and a couple fans stuck around, but it seems they are back.

Allanon
11-29-2008, 04:14 PM

It looks like Bynum got over his fear quick and redeemed himself against Dampier yesterday.

Bynum 18 points, 10 rebounds
Dampier 0 points, 3 rebounds

He's learning to play against the tougher/stronger Centers.

Spur-Addict
11-29-2008, 05:48 PM
No excuses there, just stating facts. It's a fact Bynum came into the league as a project, had no bball skills besides his 33 inch verticle, nice touch and his 300+lbs of baby fat, go look at his scouting reports. Yes Bynum worked super hard to have a chizzled body and it's a fact he works hard, go look at his pictures from the McDonald's game and compare his body now. But again it takes time to grow into that body, not all are like Shaq / Dwight. First 2 years in the league, bynum used to get winded after sprinting up and down the court a couple times which is also a fact.

Olajuwon, Drob did have more agility than Bynum but not EWing or Duncan at the age of 21. The last 10 games of last season b4 the injury, Bynum was very agile,quick and explosive, he would shut down opposing point guards on pick n' roll wiht his length and quickness. Also his moves in the paint were more decisive and quicker, and again this has to do with trusting his knees and gaining more strength. Doesn't matter how agile you are if a stronger player is pushing you from the back, you 're gonna look methodical. It's more of a strength issue than agility.

Wrong, Dwight did not improve as much as Bynum in his first 3 years. This is in terms of both body and skill wise. Dwight added more muscle to his already muscular frame while Bynum went from a 300+lbs of fat to what he is now. Yes, Dwight did add more post moves, but his improvement has more to do with his strength and explosiveness than actual basketball skills. Dwight is what he is, he WON'T AND WILL NOT get much better than what he is right now, he has no touch what so ever and not long enough to go over bigger centers, his game depends on strength and explosiveness. He will always have problems against bigger centers and his free throw shooting you know about. With Bynum he has already developed into a good low post scorer with either his left or right hand. He already has a decent 15 footer has a beautiful stroke/touch, passing, and shoots free throws real well. Once he starts trusting his knees, gets back in condition like last year pre injury and adds power, explosiveness to his game than watch out.

Alright, so Bynum is out on the perimeter crossing over defenders? He is also handling the ball like a guard at 21 as well, impressive. Excuse the sarcasm, but Bynum can't play as agile as Bynum at that age. Duncan would rip him a new one, and Bynum couldn't respond in the same manner with agility.

As far as this paragraph of non sense about Dwight being what he is and not getting much better, I will not respond, you can look that over and ponder. :lmao

Lakers_55
11-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Even Rick Fox called this team soft the other night, and said they wont be winning shit if they keep up this Gay ass play. .

That was at halftime of the Kings game if I recall. Word got to the Laker locker room and they came out strong in the second half. Derek Fisher even called Fox out on the comment in the post game show.

Seriously, I don't care if Oden or Bynum is the better player. I don't care what kind of numbers Bynum puts up. He is one-ninth of our rotaton, and he is doing his job. Whether we are playing over our heads at 13-1 or haven't reached our full potential is speculation. Our team shares the minutes, and shares the ball. If we avoid injuries, we will be well rested come playoff time.

The regular season and the playoffs are mutually exclusive events, the former seeds the latter. There is practically a full season left. Until our opponents show otherwise, we are the best in the west.

Ghazi
11-29-2008, 06:33 PM
I hate it when people describe teams or players as soft. It makes no sense to me. Our beloved Dirk gets called soft because his lateral quickness limits his defense and because he doesn't score much in the paint. If "soft" is 24/9 and 25/11 in the playoffs, then I love it! So dumb!

If you wanna call teams that don't defend and rebound soft than that's fine, but the Lakers are pretty damn good at both.

Bynum and Ariza add some "physical toughness" to this team that they seemed to lack last year.

Teams don't lose or win games because of "softness" or "toughness" though in my opinion, they win because of talent and execution, and the Lakers have talent and execute efficiently.

A Bomb
11-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Alright, so Bynum is out on the perimeter crossing over defenders? He is also handling the ball like a guard at 21 as well, impressive. Excuse the sarcasm, but Bynum can't play as agile as Bynum at that age. Duncan would rip him a new one, and Bynum couldn't respond in the same manner with agility.

As far as this paragraph of non sense about Dwight being what he is and not getting much better, I will not respond, you can look that over and ponder. :lmao

Duncan had a crossover at 21? is that the best you could come up with, that Duncan has a crossover and plays better in the perimeter and that proves he has more agility? How many centers could handle the ball like a guard and why in the world would i want my big man crossing pple over on the perimeter in the first place. Let me guess if you were comparing Duncan to Garnett you'll point out how Duncan plays in the low post while KG is crossing pple over.

It's not that you won't respond, it's you can't respond.

Every post you have about Bynum is your biased assumptions and all you bring out are stats, you havent broken down his game and it seems you haven't seen much of him.

A Bomb
11-29-2008, 09:10 PM
I hate it when people describe teams or players as soft. It makes no sense to me. Our beloved Dirk gets called soft because his lateral quickness limits his defense and because he doesn't score much in the paint. If "soft" is 24/9 and 25/11 in the playoffs, then I love it! So dumb!

If you wanna call teams that don't defend and rebound soft than that's fine, but the Lakers are pretty damn good at both.

Bynum and Ariza add some "physical toughness" to this team that they seemed to lack last year.

Teams don't lose or win games because of "softness" or "toughness" though in my opinion, they win because of talent and execution, and the Lakers have talent and execute efficiently.

You're so right, plus Ariza is 10x s tougher than Fox to begin with. :lol The Champion teams Fox was on weren't physically tough either, evidenced by how Detroit handed them their asses. This years Lakers have so much more talent than the teams Foxy's been on he 'd be in the D-leagues with this squad.

Spur-Addict
11-30-2008, 04:03 AM
Duncan had a crossover at 21? is that the best you could come up with, that Duncan has a crossover and plays better in the perimeter and that proves he has more agility? How many centers could handle the ball like a guard and why in the world would i want my big man crossing pple over on the perimeter in the first place. Let me guess if you were comparing Duncan to Garnett you'll point out how Duncan plays in the low post while KG is crossing pple over.

It's not that you won't respond, it's you can't respond.

Every post you have about Bynum is your biased assumptions and all you bring out are stats, you havent broken down his game and it seems you haven't seen much of him.

So you think ball handling ability and perimeter foot speed have nothing to do with agility? Alright, i'm about done speaking to you here.

Biased? This is coming from the man who thinks Howard will not improve beyond his current skill set. :lol