PDA

View Full Version : Pricey Restaurants..........THAT SUCK

MrChug
11-26-2008, 11:46 PM
Name some expensive restaurants that you've been to that have really disappointed you. Let's hear some stories. I've got a few, wanna hear yours.

#1. McCormick and Scmick's (San Francisco)- Hour wait for affluent party with a table reserved, fake/overly smiley annoying waitress, drowned salads (dressing), watered down or 1 1/4 ounce scotch, steak was overdone (and it was only as good as a fuckin Red Lobster steak + $40), never saw her after the food was there. Ticket was over $600 for 7 peoples.

#2. Eddie V's (Austin)- Dark, people overdressed for Austin (I actually saw 2 dudes in a tux...A TUXXXXX!!!!!!), and see above.

I've got more that are local, but hell...if you think you've paid too much for any meal, let us know.

Word of mouth: 10X more powerful than any commercial

SequSpur
11-26-2008, 11:49 PM
Mortons

desflood
11-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Old San Francisco Steakhouse. The one and only time we went, one of those huge "waterbugs" (I'm sorry - those things are just big cockroaches) actually fell off the ceiling onto our table.

SequSpur
11-27-2008, 12:04 AM
old sf is not pricey

MrChug
11-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Old San Francisco Steakhouse. The one and only time we went, one of those huge "waterbugs" (I'm sorry - those things are just big cockroaches) actually fell off the ceiling onto our table.

I would've trapped that sumbitch under my candle holder or napkin, had my gf/wife scream and eaten for free for life! Did you complain??

MrChug
11-27-2008, 12:05 AM
old sf is not pricey

Yeah, but I read the 2nd part Seq

DannyT
11-27-2008, 12:08 AM
ate at this buffet at the Bellagio in Vegas and I thouhgt it was garbage...cuts of meats sucked...not a lot of different shushi or crab.

Then in the Luxor theres a place called Tender Steakhouse and it was off the chain. Everything was legit and well worth the money imo.

But I havent really given SA's resturants a chance yet...like the steak houses in Helotes and others around here. So Im curious as to what people say

desflood
11-27-2008, 12:09 AM
old sf is not pricey
It is on our salary :lol

desflood
11-27-2008, 12:10 AM
I would've trapped that sumbitch under my candle holder or napkin, had my gf/wife scream and eaten for free for life! Did you complain??
Yes sir, you betcha. They offered us a free dessert. We passed and left.

exstatic
11-27-2008, 12:15 AM

How long ago was that? I heard that they were recently sold to some of the original owners again. It definitely slid downwards over the years.

MrChug
11-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Yes sir, you betcha. They offered us a free dessert. We passed and left.

They haven't changed their menu and haven't stopped thinking their shit didn't stink. You have to adjust to the demand.

They were quite the "ultimate dining experience" in the late 80's/early 90's and since the market has been flooded with far superior steakhouses (even chains), they have gotten bitten in the ass. I haven't been there in 6 years or so.

(from what I heard it's the bitten off assmeat that they might be serving @ 27.95 a pop nowadays)

It's second rate nowadays folks, don't even think about it. Think about it this way: have you ever done business WITH A business that doesn't have a website? I thought not...

ChumpDumper
11-27-2008, 04:39 AM
#2. Eddie V's (Austin)- Dark, people overdressed for AustinSo they were wearing pants.

Nbadan
11-27-2008, 05:03 AM
'Pricey' needs to be better defined here...there is hold on to your wallet pricey (typically $100<x<$200), and get ready to grab your ankles pricey(typically, >$200)...

Nbadan
11-27-2008, 05:05 AM
That is, assuming 1 appetizer, 2 meals, 1 bottle of wine or about 4 adult drinks....

johnsmith
11-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Mortons

I actually agree with this. Anyone that's been to Mortons knows the prices and you should definately have a perfect meal for how much it costs.

I've been their twice and both times my steak was cooked wrong. All I ask is for a medium rare and both times they've charred the outside and overcooked the middle. What made it worse though is that it tasted like they hadn't cleaned the grill in 20 years. I even sent my steak back the second time, and I never do that shit out of fear.

For my money, and many will disagree, but I like Flemings for overpriced steak. That's some good shit.

Melting Pot I also feel is overpriced. It's good and everything, but come the fuck on, it's cheese.

johnsmith
11-27-2008, 09:00 AM
'Pricey' needs to be better defined here...there is hold on to your wallet pricey (typically $100<x<$200), and get ready to grab your ankles pricey(typically, >$200)...

That is, assuming 1 appetizer, 2 meals, 1 bottle of wine or about 4 adult drinks....

Dude, why do you have to make things more difficult then they have to be?

JoeChalupa
11-27-2008, 09:17 AM
It is on our salary :lol

I concur. :tu :lol

I still haven't tried PF Chang's because of the prices.

MrChug
11-27-2008, 09:34 AM

It's subjective...if you feel that you went to a special place, paid a special price, and weren't impressed (at all) or were even shocked how average to shitty it was that's what I mean.

To bolster Sequ and JohnSmit's point, I got comped a meal to Morton's a while back and walked out saying "Well if I had to pay for that I'd be pissed". I stuck with Ruth's Cris for a great steak and a decent experience from then on.

I haven't been to Fleming's but Bohannon's is pretty nice of an experience at night with family OR on a date speaking of steakhouses.

JoeChalupa
11-27-2008, 09:53 AM
I've had decent steaks at other places where I don't feel I need to pay an arm and a leg for a steak like at Morton's or Ruth's Chris but most everyone knows that I'm cheap. I don't mind paying for quality but when it comes to food I have a hard time dishing out the big bucks.

Clandestino
11-27-2008, 10:08 AM
sf steakhouse sucks

MrChug
11-27-2008, 10:11 AM
So they were wearing pants.

HAHAHA...so true. Living there I got so shocked and annoyed by how many times I'd felt vastly overdressed.

lebomb
11-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Its too subjective to me...........what one person loves, another hates.

The Franchise
11-27-2008, 11:37 AM

This is true. For example I've had a few exellent experiences at Mortons.

T Park
11-27-2008, 11:43 AM
I concur. :tu :lol

Your missing out....

T Park
11-27-2008, 11:45 AM

Very true.

I've had great experiences at Ruth's Chris, never been to Mortons.

I'm wondering if Bohannan's is worth the trip, its supposedly "the best" in town.

SequSpur
11-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Bohannons rules. Flemings is great.. I am surprised it doesn't get more run. Ruth Chris imo is the best and they treat everyone like a vip.

There is another one over by stone oak parkway on the access road.. been there 3 times, it's great too... peppercorn filet is awesome.. can't remember the name right now..

As for Mortons, been there twice, never got a good feel for it...

baseline bum
11-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Your missing out....

No shit. PF Chang's isn't that expensive anyways. $10-$18 a plate. Their kung-pao scallops fucking rule.

MrChug
11-27-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm all about the ribeye. It's a hard steak to fk up.

I'm wierd though. If I go to a place a thousand times, I have expectations. If they fuck up once, they're never seeing my pretty face again.

BUT-sometimes if a place sucks out of the gate, I'll go back (subconciously to give them another chance?? WTF?) :lol

mouse
11-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Dude your cheap ass won't even go to Bill Millers! :lmao

mouse
11-27-2008, 01:52 PM
If you want over priced food eat at the Tower of Americas. Or at least when I worked there. They have high dollar prices and the menu is the same as Jim's , it was owned by the Frontier people. The same steak and baked potato is from the same box as the Jim's restaurant. Maybe your paying extra to see the lovely view of the abandon projects.

I remember the tower would spin during lunch and I could here people saying "look mom there is the Alamo" Then the tower would swing over to the Government homes and you could see some overweight welfare Mom hanging her boyfriends wife beater on the clothes line the look on tourist faces was priceless. :lmao'

MrChug
11-27-2008, 02:04 PM
If you want over priced food eat at the Tower of Americas. Or at least when I worked there. They have high dollar prices and the menu is the same as Jim's , it was owned by the Frontier people. The same steak and baked potato is from the same box as the Jim's restaurant. Maybe your paying extra to see the lovely view of the abandon projects.

I remember the tower would spin during lunch and I could here people saying "look mom there is the Alamo" Then the tower would swing over to the Government homes and you could see some overweight welfare Mom hanging her boyfriends wife beater on the clothes line the look on tourist faces was priceless. :lmao'

I've done2 of the 3 tiers so yah, I know what you're talking about...

The original owners gave a pretty awesome dining experience, then Jim's (basically a $40 meal with Jim's food) and now it's owned by the Landry's company so I think it will bring back SOME quality. That is, unless they take the Joe's Crab Shack model :puke:

If anyone's been there in the past few years what was your experience?

SequSpur
11-27-2008, 03:58 PM

The original owners gave a pretty awesome dining experience, then Jim's (basically a $40 meal with Jim's food) and now it's owned by the Landry's company so I think it will bring back SOME quality. That is, unless they take the Joe's Crab Shack model :puke:

tower is not pricey either.

its fine, been their a few times.

mouse
11-27-2008, 04:31 PM
tower is not pricey either.

its fine, been their a few times.

What is pricey to Joe the plumber and myself, may not be pricey to you and Tpark

You notice Cosmic Cowboy won't reply when your as rich as him nothing is pricey, :lmao

Creepn
11-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Chester's Hamburgers.

About 7 dollars for the burger itself! No fries or drinks. It was good but it wasnt THAT good. I don't understand why it was voted best hamburger in Texas. After the first bite I was like "WTF??" I expected my eyes to roll back.

Carl Jr. hamburgers tasted better and included the fries and drink.

baseline bum
11-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Chester's Hamburgers.

About 7 dollars for the burger itself! No fries or drinks. It was good but it wasnt THAT good. I don't understand why it was voted best hamburger in Texas. After the first bite I was like "WTF??" I expected my eyes to roll back.

Damn, what Carl's Jr are you going to? Chester's isn't Chris Madrid's, but it's still pretty damn good.

T Park
11-27-2008, 05:26 PM
:lol

That must be one super ass Carl's Jr

Creepn
11-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Damn, what Carl's Jr are you going to? Chester's isn't Chris Madrid's, but it's still pretty damn good.

I went to the one by Foster Rd. Shit I enjoyed that hamburger so much that I ordered a seperate to-go hamburger to eat later. Never done that before.

Don't know if I'd go to Chester's again unless I was invited.

AFBlue
11-27-2008, 05:56 PM
Bohannons rules. Flemings is great.. I am surprised it doesn't get more run. Ruth Chris imo is the best and they treat everyone like a vip.

There is another one over by stone oak parkway on the access road.. been there 3 times, it's great too... peppercorn filet is awesome.. can't remember the name right now..

As for Mortons, been there twice, never got a good feel for it...

I seem to have had opposite luck...

Been to Morton's once and it was probably the best steak I've ever had. Been to Ruth's Chris a handful of times and it's been a mixed bag, but nothing special....especially considering the price.

SequSpur
11-27-2008, 05:58 PM
What is pricey to Joe the plumber and myself, may not be pricey to you and Tpark

You notice Cosmic Cowboy won't reply when your as rich as him nothing is pricey, :lmao

we understand that taco bell sunday is pricey for you, they actually are good.

mouse
11-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Dude I only eat taco bell once a year on my birthday. I wish I could afford to eat there more often their Mexican food is the best. I am so flipping hungry right now If i had 2 dollars I would go downtown and eat like a king at the Jimenez thanks giving dinner.

You see me online right now I am all alone this year not even BigZax came by to drop off a joint or a 40 oz of beer. :(

CharlieMac
11-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Boudros and Paesanos.

Ginofan
11-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Chester's Hamburgers.

Chesters is NOT pricey for the size of their burgers. Try fudruckers...their burgers are 10 bucks with no drink or fries either! Chesters USED to be pretty damn good, but ever since they got rid of their poppy seed buns something just doesn't seem right about them.

bigzak25
11-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Dude I only eat taco bell once a year on my birthday. I wish I could afford to eat there more often their Mexican food is the best. I am so flipping hungry right now If i had 2 dollars I would go downtown and eat like a king at the Jimenez thanks giving dinner.

You see me online right now I am all alone this year not even BigZax came by to drop off a joint or a 40 oz of beer. :(

dude...if you're still hungry, i'll go pick you up...didn't read this til now! i gots no smoke, but there are some miller lites if you want!

JoeChalupa
11-27-2008, 11:58 PM
No shit. PF Chang's isn't that expensive anyways. $10-$18 a plate. Their kung-pao scallops fucking rule.

See, there lies the difference in our opinions. To me, $10-18 a plate is expensive. Not crazy expensive but above the average price for a meal for an average joe like myself. And from experience I've heard so much hype about PF Chang's I'd probably be dissapointed since I'd expect the food to taste like food of the God's.
I think it is in the mind. I think you could blind fold a person and give him different steaks and I wouldn't be suprised if he couldn't pick out from which steak place they were each from. A steak is still a steak whether it is served at Denny's or Morton's but it does depend on how well they are cooked.
Chester's burgers are good but lately I've taken a liking to the burgers from Red Robin. My cheap ass likes them burgers.

JoeChalupa
11-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Dude your cheap ass won't even go to Bill Millers! :lmao

Chopped beef sammich specials baby!!!

bigzak25
11-28-2008, 12:00 AM
i cook my own damn steaks!

JoeChalupa
11-28-2008, 12:03 AM

Damn right.

mrsmaalox
11-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Bistro Vatel in Olmos Park. I can't say they are way too expensive because I would gladly pay it if the food was good.

http://www.bistrovatel.com/bistrovatel/

baseline bum
11-28-2008, 12:18 AM
See, there lies the difference in our opinions. To me, $10-18 a plate is expensive. Not crazy expensive but above the average price for a meal for an average joe like myself. And from experience I've heard so much hype about PF Chang's I'd probably be dissapointed since I'd expect the food to taste like food of the God's.
I think it is in the mind. I think you could blind fold a person and give him different steaks and I wouldn't be suprised if he couldn't pick out from which steak place they were each from. A steak is still a steak whether it is served at Denny's or Morton's but it does depend on how well they are cooked.
Chester's burgers are good but lately I've taken a liking to the burgers from Red Robin. My cheap ass likes them burgers.

An average PF Chang's plate is about the price of two burger, fries, and coke combos at Whataburger, Jack in the Crack, Burger King, etc. I'm not saying it's cheap to eat all the time, but it's certainly not expensive at all once in a while unless you order a bunch of overpriced alcohol. You have some pretty unrealistic expectations for the place. It has very good Chinese food, but it's not going to make you bust in your pants when you take a bite.

Dex
11-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Went to SF Steakhouse once, and found a large, pink hunk of something in my salad. It was about 2x2x2 inches, and looked like a cross between a hunk of raw pork and a piece of watermelon. The waiter said it was 'a piece of cheese rind' that had accidentally fallen into the salad.

They comped my meal, and the swordfish was still shitty.

ChumpDumper
11-28-2008, 12:24 AM
An average PF Chang's plate is about the price of two burger, fries, and coke combos at Whataburger, Jack in the Crack, Burger King, etc. I'm not saying it's cheap to eat all the time, but it's certainly not expensive at all once in a while unless you order a bunch of overpriced alcohol. You have some pretty unrealistic expectations for the place. It has very good Chinese food, but it's not going to make you bust in your pants when you take a bite.I'm totally going to get some Dan Dan noodles before the game tomorrow.

johnsmith
11-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Boudros and Paesanos.

Paesanos is the most overfuckingrated joint in SA. All I heard when I moved here was "go to Paesanos and order the shrimp Paesano".

It's fucking angel hair pasta and jumbo shrimp. I can make the exact same meal for $5.00 at home and they charge $25.

Fuck that place.

The same people that love Paesanos are the same people that vote Sea Island the best seafood in SA every year.

MrChug
11-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Paesanos is the most overfuckingrated joint in SA. All I heard when I moved here was "go to Paesanos and order the shrimp Paesano".

It's fucking angel hair pasta and jumbo shrimp. I can make the exact same meal for $5.00 at home and they charge $25.

Fuck that place.

The same people that love Paesanos are the same people that vote Sea Island the best seafood in SA every year.

HAHAHA...nah, I must be in the minority. I like Paesano's AND the shrimp Paesano. Large shrimp, lightly breaded and fried over a bed of linguini with a perfect lemon/garlic butter sauce. Shit john, now I gotta go to Paesano's tonight!
I can't fucking STAND Sea Island. I think my first, last, and only experience about ten years ago went like this:

-"Okay, this place looks like Bill Millers"
-"This is the ENTIRE menu?
-"How much is that?"
-"Okay, fried fish...they can't fuck that up"
-"This plate looks like shit, the food had better be good"
- "That sucked, why didn't we just go to Long John Silver for this shit?"

MrChug
11-28-2008, 09:01 AM

Yeah, there's about 20 things that I make that I can't get anywhere else, or at least mine's better and wouldn't give a rat's ass if the chef himself tried to cook a meal for me and tell me otherwise. Mine's better.

But, I'm dating again and sometimes shit...you just gotta go out. What I want to know is what's are places that even my date will go "Damn, I'm not coming here again".

JoeChalupa
11-28-2008, 09:44 AM
HAHAHA...nah, I must be in the minority. I like Paesano's AND the shrimp Paesano. Large shrimp, lightly breaded and fried over a bed of linguini with a perfect lemon/garlic butter sauce. Shit john, now I gotta go to Paesano's tonight!

I like Paesano's too. Went to the one out on 1604 last month for our Anniversary and we really enjoyed it.

An average PF Chang's plate is about the price of two burger, fries, and coke combos at Whataburger, Jack in the Crack, Burger King, etc. I'm not saying it's cheap to eat all the time, but it's certainly not expensive at all once in a while unless you order a bunch of overpriced alcohol. You have some pretty unrealistic expectations for the place. It has very good Chinese food, but it's not going to make you bust in your pants when you take a bite.

Meh, I like the chinese food lunch special that I get for $4.95. I'm sure I'll break down and check out PFChang's one of these days but not yet....not yet.

JoeChalupa
11-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Yeah, there's about 20 things that I make that I can't get anywhere else, or at least mine's better and wouldn't give a rat's ass if the chef himself tried to cook a meal for me and tell me otherwise. Mine's better.

But, I'm dating again and sometimes shit...you just gotta go out. What I want to know is what's are places that even my date will go "Damn, I'm not coming here again".

More important is that your date doesn't say "Damn, I'm not coming here again....with him.

johnsmith
11-28-2008, 10:02 AM
I can't fucking STAND Sea Island. I think my first, last, and only experience about ten years ago went like this:

-"How much is that?"

No, I'm totally in the minority for Paesano's. Every time I go there, everyone raves about the foods and I'm convinced I'm taking crazy pills because I just don't get it.

MrChug
11-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Meh, I like the chinese food lunch special that I get for $4.95. I'm sure I'll break down and check out PFChang's one of these days but not yet....not yet.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Pei Wei as an alternative to Chang's man. If you've been there and liked the food, don't pay extra to go to P.F.'s unless you want to pay double for the "Service, flatware, and 'ooh, I hope someone sees me here at P.F. Chang's factor'". If you're more concerned about the price-GO TO PEI WEI (they're everywhere). Same owners, same food, practically the same menu. Good shit, really good in a more casual, small spot.

MrChug
11-28-2008, 10:15 AM
More important is that your date doesn't say "Damn, I'm not coming here again....with him.

Nah, got her the same night.

The food was better. :depressed

MrChug
11-28-2008, 10:40 AM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH...The Fig Tree, average meal. Slow service, and a $200 meal.

And Boudro's. Been there 20 times and I still can't figure out why.

Edit: after savoring the memory, I'm lying...I actually enjoyed the night. The food was fantastic, but $200? I still can't wrap my mind around it. FYI-I'm a good tipper, it was about $200 total.

baseline bum
11-28-2008, 12:19 PM

-"How much is that?"

What is a good fish place in SA? Sea Island fish are as tasteless as eating a shoe.

squire
11-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Meh, I like the chinese food lunch special that I get for $4.95. I'm sure I'll break down and check out PFChang's one of these days but not yet....not yet.[/quote]

The difference between PF and your lunch "specials" is you're eating cat/bunny at one place and chicken at the other. Rule of thumb: chicken doesn't have a layer of slime.

I don't blame you for not wanting to pay $15/plate for anything though. Restaurants are budget killers.

leemajors
11-28-2008, 04:37 PM
The difference between PF and your lunch "specials" is you're eating cat/bunny at one place and chicken at the other. Rule of thumb: chicken doesn't have a layer of slime.

I don't blame you for not wanting to pay $15/plate for anything though. Restaurants are budget killers.

plenty of fat on a chicken. and it's slimy.

Kori Ellis
11-28-2008, 05:01 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Pei Wei as an alternative to Chang's man. If you've been there and liked the food, don't pay extra to go to P.F.'s unless you want to pay double for the "Service, flatware, and 'ooh, I hope someone sees me here at P.F. Chang's factor'". If you're more concerned about the price-GO TO PEI WEI (they're everywhere). Same owners, same food, practically the same menu. Good shit, really good in a more casual, small spot.

:vomit:

Pei Wei food is nasty compared to PF Chang's. It's all vegetables and very little meat. I know it's the same ownership or whatever, but there's no comparison.

Kori Ellis
11-28-2008, 05:03 PM
If you want good Chinese food that's cheap, Mekong Garden in Helotes on Bandera has high quality meat and extremely cheap prices. It's a hole in the wall with no "atmosphere" but the food is good.

Kori Ellis
11-28-2008, 05:04 PM
It's not that pricey, but I think the most overrated restaurant in San Antonio that is supposed to be decent is J.Alexander's in the Quarry. Their food is horrible.

Kori Ellis
11-28-2008, 05:07 PM

We went there about a year ago for lunch. I thought it was okay, but not great. timvp hated it and thought it was overpriced.

ChumpDumper
11-28-2008, 05:11 PM

Pei Wei food is nasty compared to PF Chang's. It's all vegetables and very little meat. I know it's the same ownership or whatever, but there's no comparison.I like Fire Bowl Cafe for that kind of cheaper weird pan Asian fusion crap. I think there's one at The Quarry down there.

leemajors
11-28-2008, 05:15 PM
I like Fire Bowl Cafe for that kind of cheaper weird pan Asian fusion crap. I think there's one at The Quarry down there.

i thought it was better as the china bowl on brodie, but maybe that's just me.

ChumpDumper
11-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Could have been, but if I go that far south I usually just keep going to San Antonio.

MrChug
11-28-2008, 08:12 PM

Pei Wei food is nasty compared to PF Chang's. It's all vegetables and very little meat. I know it's the same ownership or whatever, but there's no comparison.

I guess I've been to both enough and made concious comparisons enough to shrug my shoulders at what I find to be negligible disparities in quality of food and are obscures the colossal price difference. It keeps me from caring about going to a place where people are wearing suits unnecessarily, trying to use chopsticks because they feel they have to, fumbling around for their food guessing what they're eating because the lights are so dim and basically getting (minus a few items) Pei Wei food. Chains generally suck, but in this case-I make the exception.

ploto
11-28-2008, 09:03 PM
I actually like having a few carrots and snow peas, but the quality of the chicken used at Pei Wei is nothing compared to that at PF Changs. I also happen to like the atmosphere at PF Changs (Quarry not La Cantera) and I take half home for another meal- so the price is fine for me.

Ginofan
11-28-2008, 11:09 PM
The thing about PF Changs is that if you go with a group of 4 and order 2 meals and a fried rice you have plenty of food for everyone with leftovers for take home. Matthew and I go with his brother and sister all the time and if we don't order appetizers and saki we can spend less than 50 bucks for all 4 of us. Too bad we always order appetizers and saki. Damn Lettuce Wraps.

Kori Ellis
11-28-2008, 11:22 PM
I guess I've been to both enough and made concious comparisons enough to shrug my shoulders at what I find to be negligible disparities in quality of food and are obscures the colossal price difference.

To me, the difference in meat quality (and quantity) is colossal compared to the price difference. The chicken quality has been horrible when I've gone. I've tried it twice in San Antonio and once in each of two other cities, and I just think it sucks compared to PF Chang's. To each his own, I guess.

CharlieMac
11-28-2008, 11:30 PM

-"How much is that?"

Oh but they can fuck it up. I really like Skipper's Galley. Still.

mrsmaalox
11-28-2008, 11:51 PM

That's funny because that is the reason I go to Pei Wei; I only ever have tofu and vegetables there :)

Anti.Hero
11-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Skipper's Galley.

Best SeaFood in San Antonio. Book it.

ploto
11-29-2008, 12:10 AM
To me, the difference in meat quality (and quantity) is colossal compared to the price difference. The chicken quality has been horrible when I've gone.
Your experience has been the same as mine. I eat pretty much only chicken when I go out to eat so I can tell the difference in quality.

ploto
11-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Grey Moss Inn was a let-down when I went there- but maybe because it had been so hyped.

ehz33satx
11-29-2008, 12:48 AM
I think you could blind fold a person and give him different steaks and I wouldn't be suprised if he couldn't pick out from which steak place they were each from. A steak is still a steak whether it is served at Denny's or Morton's but it does depend on how well they are cooked.

You obviously do not know the difference between choice, usda prime, kobe, or even wagyu beef. So no, a steak is not a steak.

leemajors
11-29-2008, 02:40 AM
Could have been, but if I go that far south I usually just keep going to San Antonio.

i happened to live near mopac and 71 at the time. i came to my senses and live on the north side of town now.

T Park
11-29-2008, 02:51 AM
If you can't tell the difference between a Denny's steak and a Ruth's Chris, you should be hit in the head with a tackhammer because you are a moron.

Nbadan
11-29-2008, 04:26 AM
I like Italian food, Paesanoes and Olive Garden are amateur hour, used to love to go to Nonas but the food quality dropped off there near the end...Zios, Carinos, Little Italy, Macaroni Grill....none of these places know how to make really good Italian food - they are there for what I call 'the fast food Italian eaters'....and don't even get me started on overpriced Italian....for instance, Dolores on the River.....you'll drop a bill there easy and the food still isn't as good as a place like Lorenzo's on Fred, where they have decently priced bottles of wine...

Horn Tooter
11-29-2008, 05:37 AM
If you can't tell the difference between a Denny's steak and a Ruth's Chris, you should be hit in the head with a tackhammer because you are a moron.

No doubt. Only morons and total idiots would pay for anything less than a steak from Morton's or Ruth's Chris.

Horn Tooter
11-29-2008, 05:40 AM
You obviously do not know the difference between choice, usda prime, kobe, or even wagyu beef. So no, a steak is not a steak.

You obviously do!! :toast

lebomb
11-29-2008, 09:40 AM
4 pages later.............. see what I mean about this being too subjective :lmao

MrChug
11-29-2008, 09:57 AM
I like Italian food, Paesanoes and Olive Garden are amateur hour, used to love to go to Nonas but the food quality dropped off there near the end...Zios, Carinos, Little Italy, Macaroni Grill....none of these places know how to make really good Italian food - they are there for what I call 'the fast food Italian eaters'....and don't even get me started on overpriced Italian....for instance, Dolores on the River.....you'll drop a bill there easy and the food still isn't as good as a place like Lorenzo's on Fred, where they have decently priced bottles of wine...

Well ANYTIME you're talking about a chain, you're going to have alot of people rolling their eyes. But it's hard to know what people are talking about when they reference "really good Italian food". Unless you, you're Mom or Grandmother were from the old country and that's all you grew up on, people normally refer to restaurant food in this part of the country. So what we have to do is gauge how we enjoy it. It's one of the beauties of having an opinion. I myself have eaten Northern and Southern Italian food from VERY fine restaurants from Venice to Naples and was shocked at the difference. But I digress...with that said, there are 2 Italian restaurants that remind me of Italy and have always given me a fantastic experience. Lorenzo's and definitely La Foccacia...both awesome.

WAIT...how in the hell did I get off the topic??

JoeChalupa
11-29-2008, 10:28 AM

Okay, that was a moronic kind of statement but I don't always get my point across clearly as I'd like. My Joe the ST poster palette, I must admit is not as polished as some, and I just like simple food that serves my appetite but don't get me wrong, I do appreciate a great meal from time to time and I am willing to pay for it but the "experience" of the meal will remain in my memory much longer than the taste.

MrChug
11-29-2008, 01:06 PM
4 pages later.............. see what I mean about this being too subjective :lmao

That is why I was asking for OPINIONS. :rolleyes

Tom Nissalke
11-29-2008, 01:28 PM
J. Alexanders in the Quarry is way overpriced for the food and service you get there

MrChug
11-29-2008, 02:07 PM
J. Alexanders in the Quarry is way overpriced for the food and service you get there

Yah, but you know what's funny? I loved the Caesar salad there...best I ever had.

monosylab1k
11-29-2008, 02:15 PM
I paid 4 bucks for a burrito at Taco Bueno and it so wasn't worth it.

MrChug
11-29-2008, 02:35 PM
I paid 4 bucks for a burrito at Taco Bueno and it so wasn't worth it.

Shouldn't keep betting your money on the Maverick's. Maybe you'd be able to afford to go to a decent place every once in a while.

byrontx
11-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Myron's in New Braunfels is truly wonderful. The high-pressure oven is more than hype.

MYRON'S STEAKS

Myron's Steak House proudly serves Midwestern corn fed USDA Prime Beef which is the top 2% of the nation's total beef production. Each short loin is hand picked and wet aged, a process that naturally tenderizes the beef and enhances its characteristic flavor. From the feedlot to a state of the art oven, our steaks represent beef the way it should be. Welcome to Myron's, enjoy!

http://www.myronsprimesteakhouse.com/index.html

davi78239
11-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Drove by The Rim the other day and I noticed that we now have a Maggianos (Little Italy) in there. Has anyone ever been to one? I remember passing by one about two years ago when we were in Denver and I know that Houston and Dallas and other major towns all have one. Are they any good and what's the price range? Better than Olive Garden, Zios........?

SequSpur
11-29-2008, 07:04 PM
cornfed....

baseline bum
11-29-2008, 07:13 PM
cornfed....

better than cornholed

katyon6th
11-30-2008, 12:22 PM

I love Dolores del Rio. Mostly because of the ambiance but the food is good, too. Their wine selection is no good, though. I agree with you on Lorenzo's. I love living right down the street from there. Two other Italian restaurants in the vacinity that I like are Milano's and Aldo's. Yum.

jack sommerset
11-30-2008, 01:08 PM
We (4) ate at the Rainforset in Grapevine Texas yesterday. Food was no better than any fast food place but we spent over a 100 bucks. With that said they had some yahoo running around making animal ballons with a big ass "work for tips" button on her shirt. You would think they would give a 1 cent ballon to a kid that parents just drop more than a 100 bones on 20 dollar lunch.

Lackluster
11-30-2008, 02:17 PM
all quality restaurants imo

Paesanos...Sea Island...
paesanos has recently upped their prices significantly. a veal marsala will run you almost 30 bucks these days. not worth it, but the shrimp paesano kills it everytime.

and all about the grilled shrimp and broiled lemon pepper fish at sea island (the one by north star only)

J.Alexander's
$19 steak and fries is hard to beat, i usually go for the grilled pork tenderloin though with the bang bang sauce and smashed potatoes - too good

Little Italy
the veal napolitana here (veal, marinara, prosciutto, mozzarella...)

Chester's Hamburgers
great burgers, but i wish they had heinz ketchup instead of crappy hunts

Kori Ellis
11-30-2008, 02:42 PM
$19 steak and fries is hard to beat, i usually go for the grilled pork tenderloin though with the bang bang sauce and smashed potatoes - too good

Their food tastes like they made it with day (or three) old food from Marie Calendar's.

DannyT
11-30-2008, 03:19 PM
woooooooooooow

Lackluster
11-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Their food tastes like they made it with day (or three) old food from Marie Calendar's.

hmm...

well i know at least the spurs and i like it. seen most of em in there before.

jack sommerset
11-30-2008, 04:24 PM
hmm...

well i know at least the spurs and i like it. seen timmy, manu, jacque, and elson in there before.

Mangoo is used to eatting llama caserole,chinchilla soup and bat shit. I wouldn't base my dinner plans on his opinion.

lint
11-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Papadeaux's

Lackluster
11-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Mangoo is used to eatting llama caserole,chinchilla soup and bat shit. I wouldn't base my dinner plans on his opinion.

while he may not be the be all end all of food criticism, i think he regularly eats at better places than you and me.

Blake
12-16-2008, 04:36 PM
$19 steak and fries is hard to beat

you're kidding right?

J Alexanders is terrible. what's funny is the service was outstanding when I was there, but the food sucked, we dropped $60 without blinking and the mood lighting was so dark, I could barely read the menu.

I'm a Saltgrass lover myself......but not the crappy one on 281.....it has to be the one at I-10/Huebner.

I work the menu with my wife at PF Changs and three of us eat well for about $20. I know it's only iceburg lettuce, noodles and chicken but I like the lettuce wraps with that sauce they mix up.

If you want a slightly less expensive version of PFC, try Golden Wok over on Wurzbach in between I-10 and Fredericksburg Rd. They also have decent lunch specials, even on weekends.

I think Landry's is overpriced myself. We went to the one on the riverwalk a few months back and I didn't find it much better than Sea Island.

Paesano's is good, but a bit too pricey for what it is.

I know pricey is subjective, but I also think Red Robin sucks. Yeah, you get free fries......hooray......your bill is still $50 for average burgers fries and cokes for the entire family. I'd rather have a Whataburger where i don't have to tip.

chreph
12-16-2008, 05:14 PM
It's not that pricey, but I think the most overrated restaurant in San Antonio that is supposed to be decent is J.Alexander's in the Quarry. Their food is horrible.

+1

I went with my wife about a week ago and spent $90 for a martini, Chivas + Sprite, 2 meals and 2 desserts. I would have rather gone to Chili's and spent $40 lol

I also didn't care for Paloma Blanca in Alamo Heights... overpriced Mexican food but I guess you're paying for the environment :rolleyes

JoeChalupa
12-16-2008, 05:52 PM
We went to Dave & Busters last weekend for my sister in laws bd bash and dropped more cash than I normally do. I just got the over priced burger. I had a good time but the food aint' all that but I don't think it is the food they are famous for.

Drachen
12-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Ruth's Chris - Best Steak quality that I have eaten, almost had trouble picking it up with a fork it was so tender. My only problem is it seems that there is no seasoning on it. To be honest, it was their Seared Ahi Tuna appetizer that really blew me away. WOW!

Aldino's - I hate recommending this place because I used to work there and the owners/mgmt were horrendous. Told me to give up two tables that I had just served dessert to (combined checks of $800) to serve one of the owners cousins, said I could "split the tip" with the person taking over - lol. This wasn't the only bad experience but just a great example of the way they do business. Anyway the food is freakin wonderful, great wine selection, they make great meats and their sauces can only be beat by one place.

Carrabas - Steak Marsala, and Chicken Bryan. Who the hell came up with these dishes, the flavor just doesn't stop!

Saltgrass - Used to work there to, and still love their food, range rattlers for an appetizer, and center cut filet medium rare please. They also have the absolute best ranch dressing, and their steak rub is the best seasoning for steak at a restaurant. Potato soup, mashed taters, wonderful.

Anyone been to that italian place in the quarry, is it any good?

J. Alexander sucks I dont know how anyone could eat there.

Oh, if anyone goes down to Port A, go to Hooks (right near Bernies where 361 intersects with the street that goes to the ferry. Order the Blackened Sashimi Tuna, and thank me in advance, while your eating it, and when you get back!