PDA

View Full Version : LeBron Handling His Courting Perfectly

duncan228
11-27-2008, 05:02 PM
LeBron handling his courting perfectly (http://www.wfmj.com/Global/story.asp?S=9422526&nav=menu491_2_3)
Mike Celizic, NBCSports.com contributor

NEW YORK - You can argue that Lebron James is No. 2 to Kobe Bryant's No. 1 in talent. But you can't argue that there's a superstar in any sport who does more things right than King James.

He cruised into Madison Square Garden Tuesday night, smoother than George Clooney and slicker than Pat Riley's hair. Other players try to do everything right. James is the one who actually pulls it off.

Even Knicks fans, who may be second only to their cousins in Philadelphia in reviling opposing stars, recognize it. A lobster could count on the fingers of one hand the number of visiting players who were regularly cheered in Madison Square Garden. One was Michael Jordan. The other is LeBron James.

He got the royal treatment Tuesday night on his first trip of the season to New York. Fans, some dressed in "2010" t-shirts and carrying signs urging him to sign with their team in two years, roared when he was introduced.

James sounded sincere when he said he was touched by the affection.

"I'm flattered that teams would love me to be a part of their teams. I love the fact that it's happening," he said of the hoopla and hype that's grown up over the fact that he's going to be a free agent - two seasons hence.

The whole business borders on the preposterous. We're not talking about a guy who's soon going to be available. We're talking about a guy who has nearly two full seasons yet to play with his own team.

But he understands that, too. He is acutely aware of his standing in the league as one of its two best players, and he's comfortable with that.

That's not as easy as it sounds. Most of us are uncomfortable with attention or lack of the same. We're not always sure exactly who we are and what we're really worth. Give us a lot and we'll turn into selfish jerks. Give us too little and we'll whine you senseless. Give us just enough and we'll want more.

You don't have to think hard to come up with a list of dozens of players who wouldn't be able to handle the attention and the adoration that have come LeBron's way. Kobe Bryant couldn't do it. Shaquille O'Neal couldn't do it. Tim Duncan didn't want to do it.

In short, it's hard to be the best at something and not turn into the exit ramp on the alimentary highway. And nobody's ever done a better job than he of walking the fine line between ego and reality, between keeping the home fans happy and the potential future home fans hopeful.

If this were going to be a bidding war, it might be different. Then he'd have an agent like Scott Boras to aggravate everybody and make him look like a greedy s.o.b. But the NBA has limits on how much he or anyone can be paid, and the league allows his home team to spend more to keep him than other teams can spend to lure him away.

So it's really not about money. Teams aren't trying to buy LeBron, they're trying to court him. And like the belle of the ball, he's making everybody feel they have a chance.

A week ago he was in New Jersey giving Nets fans reasons to hope that he may join their team in 2010. Tuesday night, he was performing the same act in New York.

Addressing a swarm of media before his Cavs dismantled the Knicks, James talked about the magic of Madison Square Garden.

"Every time I come here, because you know the history - not just basketball, but everything that ever went on, concerts, boxing," he said. "How can you not love being in this building?"

But then, just as hopes might have been soaring in the stands at such words, he threw a sop to his own team, Cleveland.

"I'm saying playing here as a visitor," he added. "I'm not saying being here all the time."

He kept talking about how his goal is to win a championship this year with Cleveland and then trying to do it again next season. His play on the court is proof enough of his dedication to that cause. But he's not going to pretend he's not aware that teams like the Knicks are throwing away this season and next just to make sure have enough money on hand to take a run at him in two years.

LeBron knows the hoopla around him Tuesday night wasn't about his championship-contending team laying a whupping on the undermanned and undertalented Knicks. It's about the day he becomes a free agent in a class that could include Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Chris Bosh, Dirk Nowitzki, Amare Stoudamire and Josh Howard - just to mention the cream of the cream that will be available.

"I think July 1, 2010 is a very big day. It's probably going to be one of the biggest days in free-agent history in the NBA," James said. "A lot of teams are gearing up to try to put themselves in position to get one of the big free-agent market guys."

He knows the Knicks are the most prominent of those teams, but he's not letting on if he thinks it's the best fit for him. He talked about how the Spurs' great forward, Tim Duncan, has signed shorter contracts for less money to stay in San Antonio - not a big-market city - and win titles.

"To me it's all about winning. It's not about which market you're in." James said.

Someone asked if that meant he'd also take less money to play for a team he thought was a winner.

"I like the talent part - bringing in the talent," LeBron said with a broad grin. "I didn't say I would take less."

And he never said he's going to come to New York or New Jersey or leave Cleveland or do anything other than make his decision on July 1, 2010.

"It's not going to be a two-team race," the master of basketball reminded his audience with a smile in his voice. "It's a lot of other teams."

There it was. He had made New York feel special just as he had done for New Jersey last week. He stood up for his Cavaliers. And he told everyone else they can hope, too.

No wonder they cheer him in Madison Square Garden and everywhere he goes.