PDA

View Full Version : James Jones' take on Greg Oden

tlongII
11-27-2008, 07:03 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/basketball/story/789651.html

Trail Blazers' Oden makes an impression

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Playing for the Trail Blazers last season, Heat forward James Jones got a behind-the-scenes glimpse of highly regarded center Greg Oden, and Jones was impressed with what he saw.

''He's going to be unbelievable,'' Jones said.

Oden missed all of last season while recovering from microfracture surgery on his right knee and missed six games this season after spraining his right foot in the opener. He played his second game of the season against the Heat on Nov. 12, and since then has cracked the starting lineup. Entering Wednesday's game, he was averaging 8.3 points and 6.8 rebounds.

''For the same people who [say] he's injury-prone, he's fragile, I guarantee you in four or five months those will be the same people clamoring to trade for him or look for him in free agency because they need someone like that to be the cornerstone for their franchise,'' Jones said.

Oden said he doesn't listen when people heap him with praise and ''definitely'' doesn't listen when people are critical about him being injury prone and over-hyped.

''I hope I can do something good,'' Oden said. ``I just want to come in and try to fit in on an already good team and try to bring some defense and rebounding to this team.''

The biggest challenge so far? Getting into game-shape, he said.

THIS AND THAT

• Heat center Jamaal Magloire was not expected to play Wednesday night, coach Erik Spoelstra said. Spoelstra said he wanted Magloire to go through one or two practices before playing.

Magloire has been idled by a broken hand since Oct. 9.

''We'll have to do the best we can to get him to speed with our sets and schemes,'' Spoelstra said.

• Spoelstra said coaching a young team that features two rookies keeps it interesting.

'Instead of a bowl of Advil right next to the training room, we have a bowl of Ritalin to keep these guys' attention spans,'' Spoelstra joked.

sook
11-27-2008, 07:10 PM
he will turn it around I'm sure of it, but he sucks booty atm