PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Bulls Nov. 26

timvp
11-27-2008, 07:59 PM
With help from a pair of guards off the bench, the San Antonio Spurs stormed back in the second half to handily beat the Chicago Bulls on Wednesday night by a final score of 98-88. The victory was the third consecutive win for the Spurs and their sixth in their last seven games.

Manu Ginobili, playing his second game since returning to the court following offseason ankle surgery, and George Hill were the stars of the second half. With the Spurs down nine points with five and a half minutes to go in the third quarter, Ginobili scored or assisted on 14 points in San Antonio’s 18-4 run to end the stanza. In the fourth, Hill was dominant on both ends of the court to ignite a 13-2 run to put the game away.

I was incredulous when Vinny Del Negro got the coaching job for the Bulls but he seems to be doing a good job with his team. The Bulls executed with a sense of purpose and outplayed the Spurs for a large portion of the game. Rookie phenom Derrick Rose obviously is helping Del Negro make the transition to coaching. Having Ben Gordon playing at a near All-Star level also isn't hurting the former Spurs shooting guard.

For the Spurs, things continue to look good. Ginobili is already producing at a great clip and the team’s first rounder looks like a steal. Even Kurt Thomas and Ime Udoka showed signs of life against the Bulls. All things considered, there’s plenty for Spurs fans to be thankful for right now.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
29 minutes, 21 points, eight rebounds, three assists, two blocks
8-for-12 from the field, 5-for-9 at the line

Tim Duncan did a very good job of dominating the action. The Bulls had no one who had a prayer of stopping Duncan – and Duncan and the Spurs took advantage. Defensively, he gave a good effort, especially in the third quarter. Compared to the start of the season, Duncan is much more aggressive when it comes to protecting the rim. Perhaps the best news over the last week for the Spurs, outside of the return of Ginobili, is that Duncan’s minutes have been held in check. He hasn’t played more than 30 minutes in any of the last four contests.
-------------------------------

Manu Ginobili
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg
18 minutes, 15 points, four assists, three rebounds
5-for-8 from the field, 0-for-1 on three-pointers, 5-for-6 at the line

Manu Ginobili’s minutes might be limited for the moment but that doesn’t mean he’s allowing for his impact to be limited. During his 18 minutes, Ginobili played a big role in the win. He’s scoring off the dribble, he’s getting to the line and he’s making great passes. He basically looks like the Ginobili of old – although his movements are a little bit stiffer than normal. However, that stiffness is not too unexpected following surgery and should dissipate as times goes along.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
36 minutes, nine points, six rebounds, three assists
2-for-12 from the field, 2-for-5 on three-pointers, 3-for-3 at the line

Roger Mason, Jr. didn’t have his best game. His shooting was off and he wasn’t as smooth as usual running the point. Defensively, he did a decent job against everyone he guarded except when he was on Gordon. Although Mason is having a good shooting year overall, he’s struggling at hitting shots inside of the arc. He’s shooting 52% on three-pointers but only 37.9% on two-pointers. Against the Bulls on Wednesday night, Mason was 2-for-5 on threes and 0-for-7 on twos. His difficulty with two-pointers is odd considering last season Mason hit 39.8% of his three-pointers and 49.8% of his two-pointers. Most likely we’ll see his shooting percentages even out and he’ll start hitting more of his two-pointers but cool off from beyond the arc.

Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
26 minutes, six points, three rebounds
2-for-9 from the field, 0-for-5 on three-pointers

Michael Finley had a solid outing against the Bulls even though his shooting was off. Defensively, he stayed in front of his man and actively crashed the boards. Since the return of Ginobili, Finley has been the one who has had to adjust the most in terms of where his shots are coming from, so it’s not a big surprise that he’s gone into a mini shooting slump. Hopefully he can find his groove again and continue the play we’ve seen from him over the last several weeks.

Bruce Bowen
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3167.jpg
31 minutes, three points, two rebounds
1-for-4 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers

It certainly looked like Bruce Bowen had lost a step earlier in the season, but after watching what he did against Rose, I’m not so sure he’s lost much of anything. Rose has been tearing up the league with his unusual combination of blinding speed and brute strength. Against the Spurs, Bowen pressed him relentlessly and hounded the young rookie all around the court. Whenever Rose would try to beat him off the dribble, Bowen was able to stay in front of him. This game was the best sign yet that the demise of Bowen may have been exaggerated.

Fabricio Oberto
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3988.jpg
15 minutes, five points, one rebounds
2-for-3 from the field

Fabricio Oberto once again thrived when it came to making good passes, setting screens and playing post defense. But one rebound in 15 minutes won’t get the job done. The five points were a Thanksgiving Eve blessing, especially considering that Oberto entered the game averaging less than five points per 48 minutes – good for last in the NBA. I expect him to score more points once everyone is healthy and teams are forced to leave him open more, though the Bowen-esque rebounding numbers are definitely worrisome for a starting center.

George Hill
http://www.iupuijags.com/images/2007/12/12/player_hill.jpg
33 minutes, 19 points, 11 rebounds, four assists
7-for-16 from the field, 5-for-6 at the line

George Hill is looking more and more like the steal of the draft. Although he didn’t quite extend his streak of scoring 20 or more points in three straight games, he may have had his best game of the season. In the fourth quarter, with both Duncan and Ginobili on the bench, Hill simply took over and got the win for the Spurs. He scored or assisted on 17 of the team’s 22 fourth quarter points and was arguably even better on the defensive end of the court. If Hill can keep improving at this current rate, he’s going to be a huge asset going forward.

Ime Udoka
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3501.jpg
20 minutes, eight points, two rebounds
3-for-3 from the field, 2-for-2 on three-pointers

Ime Udoka finally broke out of his shooting slump with his 3-for-3 performance against the Bulls. All three of his shots came in the second half and were important in securing victory. He seemed much more patient offensively and that definitely paid off for him. Defensively, Udoka still has a ways to go but he’s improving on that end. I'd still like to see more physicality and more effort on the boards. Overall, Udoka seemed to be getting back his rhythm and played his first quality game in a while.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
17 minutes, four points, two rebounds
1-for-3 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers

His stats don’t look special but Matt Bonner once again played well. On defense he was all over the place and did a very good job when he had to switch off onto a perimeter player. He only hit one shot on the other end but it was a momentum swinging shot during the third quarter run. Rebounding-wise Bonner needs to step it up as he has only three rebounds in his last 32 minutes of action.

Kurt Thomas
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3012.jpg
16 minutes, eight points, nine rebounds
3-for-5 from the field

Kurt Thomas had far and away his best game of the season on Wednesday night. He rebounded the ball very well and even altered a few shots at the rim. Offensively, Thomas calmly dropped in a few jumpers and also set fantastic screens. Although this performance came against a weak Bulls frontline, hopefully it’s a sign that Thomas is rounding into shape. If he can at the very least rebound at a high rate, that should be enough to earn him plenty of playing time.

Gregg Popovich
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/popovich_gregg030428.jpg

Pop coached another quality game. I especially liked how he gave the reins of the team over to Hill to start the fourth and called a number of high pick-and-rolls to let Hill have his way. The strategy worked out perfectly and the Spurs were able to put away the game without help from either Duncan or Ginobili. Pop’s persistence in playing Udoka paid off and he also seems to have jumpstarted Thomas’ season. I was leery about Pop putting Bowen on Rose to start the game but both Pop and Bowen proved me horribly wrong for doubting that matchup.

Offense

The Spurs had an up and down offensive evening but their second half burst proved to be enough. The best offensive stat for the night were the season-high 34 free throw attempts, which were created mostly by Duncan, Ginobili and Hill attacking the basket. The 44.7% field goal percentage was solid and the Spurs only turned it over 12 times. San Antonio relied on more isolation plays than usual to get the job done but it worked out in the end.

Defense

In the first 31 minutes of the game, the defense wasn’t very good. The Bulls had 67 points, which put them on pace to score 105 points for the game. But the Spurs then upped their defensive intensity and held Chicago to 21 points over the final 17 minutes of the game – a rate that extrapolates to 59 points over 48 minutes. Rebounding was a huge bright spot as the Spurs outrebounded the Bulls 47-38 and gave up only five offensive rebounds. On the whole it would have been nice to see the Spurs play lockdown defense for more of the game, but they played enough of it to get the win.

Drive to Survive

At 8-6, the Spurs will take on the Memphis Grizzlies on Friday in the AT&T Center. Though on paper it looks like a victory, the Spurs need to avoid a letdown and avoid too much tryptophan. With Tony Parker possibly returning against the Grizzlies, it will be exciting to see another piece to the puzzle put into place. A victory would be a nice way to head into a much more difficult portion of the schedule.

Believe.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-27-2008, 08:03 PM
:tu Thanks for the recap.

picnroll
11-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks Timvp.

Of all the impressive things, and there are a lot, that I've seen from Hill the coolest was last night on a drive where he showed he's picked up Manu's one handed cross over dribble, when he left Gooden grasping at air on a drive. This kid is sharp, he's already taking charge of vets when he's on the floor as Manu noted. Be interesting to see how he and Parker fit together. Good thing Pop is the coach to manage things going forward.

kobe_bryant
11-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Few posts ? that's it?

T Park
11-27-2008, 09:18 PM
If Hill can get that jump shot straightened out, he will be darn near unbeatable.

Bender
11-27-2008, 09:31 PM
when we play a couple of the better teams, that will show what we are made of. I hope we play Houston and Detroit without Parker.

I mean, yeah, I'm in a hurry for TP to come back, but I'd like to see the team take on a couple contenders before he comes back.

ducks
11-27-2008, 09:32 PM
when we play a couple of the better teams, that will show what we are made of. I hope we play Houston and Detroit without Parker.

I mean, yeah, I'm in a hurry for TP to come back, but I'd like to see the team take on a couple contenders before he comes back.

I want the w no matter who plays

usckk
11-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks again TimVP! Happy Thanksgiving!

raspsa
11-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks Timvp.

Of all the impressive things, and there are a lot, that I've seen from Hill the coolest was last night on a drive where he showed he's picked up Manu's one handed cross over dribble, when he left Gooden grasping at air on a drive. This kid is sharp, he's already taking charge of vets when he's on the floor as Manu noted. Be interesting to see how he and Parker fit together. Good thing Pop is the coach to manage things going forward.

“He’s an amazing player,” Hill said. “I asked him if he played soccer or learned his moves from a DVD or something and he said it was just natural. I’ve been spending time trying to get steps like him, so I guess I’m going to have to take ballroom dancing or something, because I need those steps in my game.” --- looks like Hill is a quick learner!!

Frenchise player
11-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the thoughts.
Spurs are really doing well right now but I don't know how much of it is playing a weak schedule.
The Bulls were really overmatched on defense and may have been tired at the end of their road trip.
I am curious to see the game @Houston.

team-work
11-27-2008, 11:29 PM
George Hill was amazing. Of course, it's only his 10+th NBA games, & he surely will have ups & downs. At least he brings the much needed energy on sides of the court. Let's hope he can complement Parker to make our PG position stronger than ever. Mason is also another player who is an important part of the rotation. Hope he is more & more comfortable with his role.

As for Bowen, I was worried in the earlier part of the season about his decline. But obviously he isn't ready to do so. But I think other perimeter players e.g. Mason, Udoka, even Manu, should be more ready to help in defending the best perimeter scorer of other teams. it won't be fair to expect Bowen to do this alone in this season & the coming playoffs.

Ian will need time to find ways he can contribute. It would be very nice if he is like Nazr in the 2005 playoffs.

I hope this team can be a 08 version of the 2003 Spurs, with more of the PT assigned to the younger players, mentored by the veterans. Contradictory comments e.g. too old, too young, too inexperienced will come but the Spurs will eventually win it all.

milkyway21
11-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Tim Duncan

29 minutes, 21 points, eight rebounds, three assists, two blocks
8-for-12 from the field, 5-for-9 at the line

glad to know Duncan's getting his rest while Spurs are winning games at the same time.

we need him fresh against

Nov 29 @Hou
Dec 2 Det
Dec 4 @Den

Dec 9 @Dal
Dec 10 Atl

Dec 17 @NO
Dec 25 @ Pho

Dex
11-28-2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the thoughts as always, timvp.

Hope both you and Kori had a great holiday.

m33p0
11-28-2008, 05:41 AM
glad to know Duncan's getting his rest while Spurs are winning games at the same time.

we need him fresh against

Nov 29 @Hou
Dec 2 Det
Dec 4 @Den

Dec 9 @Dal
Dec 10 Atl

Dec 17 @NO
Dec 25 @ Pho
he wanted to go back in with less than 2 minutes to go. sean was wagging his finger at him while an asst coach was grabbing timmy by the arm. funny stuff.:lol

Bender
11-28-2008, 12:32 PM
who used to always throw a towel over Sean Elliott's head when he was doing pre-game...? Haven't seen it this season.

duncan228
11-28-2008, 12:35 PM
who used to always throw a towel over Sean Elliott's head when he was doing pre-game...? Haven't seen it this season.

Bowen. And he is still doing it, I haven't had Spurs broadcast much but I saw it the couple of times I had it. I also caught it on the Jazz broadcast, they sat with Sean before the game and Bowen got him during that segment. :lol

polandprzem
11-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Fricking hard to get spurs games

Unfortunatelly also I'm unable to watch them live as I need some sleep.
This game was woth looking esp. reading what is Hill and Bowen doing.

Dang!

Spurs Brazil
11-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Bruce is playing good D in the last 3 weeks so I think he'll start when TP is back.

I hope Thomas keep his good play and show us that the bad start was only because he was in ba shape

silk
11-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the thought, it's invaluable when we don't get to see the games..

Bonner becoming a solid defender, even against perimeter players must be a results of my intense prayers to each and every god

Otherwise I struggle to see how he can change that much from a game to another...being that he lacked both the IQ and some athletic abilities not so long ago

No mistakin, i like this guy a lot and it's cherry on the cake ( cake being mason and george) his good play is totally unexpected even while i'm constantly expecting the best...

Now i will return to my prayers to get a second cherry on my cake ( I'm spoiled.. second cherry bein mahinmin of course, 't would be a cool nickname by the way .. )