PDA

View Full Version : He's baaaaacckk!

Indazone
11-28-2008, 09:36 AM
He has no doubts he’ll play

Rockets guard Steve Francis has been rehabbing all season, and he’s finally ready to compete at practice for court time

By JONATHAN FEIGEN Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Nov. 27, 2008, 11:26PM

http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N2998.centro.netOX4600/B3177811.3;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=120x60;ord=[timestamp]?

http://www.chron.com/photos/2008/11/26/14153137/260xStory.jpg
James Nielsen Chronicle

Rockets guard Steve Francis is ready to trade his sportcoat for a uniform and return to playing in the NBA.

There was a moment Steve Francis let himself wonder and worry. He had played in 10 games last season and none since February. But that did not make him question his ability to excel in the NBA.

He underwent surgery to repair a torn quadriceps tendon in his right knee Feb. 26, sending him on a long, tedious rehabilitation. Still, he did not worry.

It had been years since he left the Rockets as Stevie Franchise to return as a free agent whose contract was bought out by Portland after two disappointing seasons with the New York Knicks. But his faith in his abilities remained.

Then, at about the time in the preseason he expected to practice and compete for playing time, he was sent for more rehabilitation, and finally, for the first time, Francis’ confidence was hit and the doubts began to win.

“At first, it did get shaken,” Francis said. “When they shut me down and made me do more rehab, that was tough on me. I did begin to wonder. But now, I’m content I’m going to get out there and play.”

Francis, a 6-3 guard, has not been in uniform this season. He has yet to travel to a game. He has completed only two practices, with only one offering the sort of full-court scrimmaging that could test an ability to come back from an injury.

He is not listed on the Rockets’ injury report. When coach Rick Adelman was asked Wednesday what he thought of Francis’ progress, he had no opinion.

A different role

But Francis, 31, said he had made so much progress he is convinced again he will make it all the way back. His role has changed from those three All-Star seasons, and he has no idea what his body will allow.

“I’m in a different position on this team,” Francis said. “I’m not in a position to dominate the basketball like I used to. I understand that. Our offense is basically about timing, and not a lot of the pick-and-roll stuff like I used to always do. So there is an adjustment to the offense.

“There’s a lot of miles, of course. I can’t really say how I’ll play. I can’t say because I have not really played. It’s all about getting confidence and timing. But I do know I will be back.”

That playing has become a worthwhile goal says a great deal about how much things have changed since Francis’ first tenure with the Rockets, or his return before last season when Adelman assumed Francis would be his starting point guard.

Francis averaged 19.4 points, 6.4 rebounds and 6.1 assists in his first five-year stint with the Rockets. He averaged 21.3 points, 5.8 rebounds and seven assists in his first season with Orlando.

He averaged 12.5 points, 3.8 rebounds and 4.4 assists in his four seasons since, prompting questions about whether his career was close to washed up.

“I can’t pay attention to that,” said Francis, in the last season of his contract with the Rockets. “I would have handled it differently four or five years ago if that was being said about me. But I’m married with kids. That’s what’s important to me, not worrying about what someone says about me.”

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said Francis remains in the Rockets’ plans, but he added the chances of him breaking into the rotation are not good unless starting point guard Rafer Alston or backup Aaron Brooks miss games.

But Francis’ absence has been conspicuous, especially when the Rockets travel, leaving Francis behind and making him appear further from his comeback.

Morey said there was more Francis could do to rehabilitate in Houston and that when he began to make improvements, the team did not want to disrupt his progress.

Longs to be part of team

“I want to go on the road,” Francis said. “Like last trip, I didn’t go to Washington (his hometown) and that killed me not to go on that trip.
“In practice, that’s the only way I’m going to get a chance to play.”
Asked if he was ready to compete for playing time, Francis said the knee might be but his game is not. He said his timing is off and he is trying to learn the offense.

“I want to get to that point,” Francis said. “It’s hard for me to say when I’ll get in or anything like that. The toughest thing is when the fans do that chanting. If they do that chanting … again I’m going to cry.”
Whether they ever do again sing “We want Steve,” Francis is certain they will get their wish.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6136106.html

Indazone
11-28-2008, 02:20 PM
I predict he'll begin to play limited minutes in December. By January/February, he'll crack the rotation. When he gets his timing back..oh yeah baby.

Welcome back Franchise!

Indazone
11-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Franchise clowning around in practice. Hmm, just clowning around he looks like he's got his moves back. Video quality is horrible though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnqtWdlxnsk

Franchise Sick Crossovers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuaRK9dYtbk

Spur-Addict
11-28-2008, 06:41 PM
It's crazy how time will fly by, it seems like just last week Francis was thrashing everyone at Maryland. Damn.

kcplayboi_26
11-28-2008, 07:16 PM
good to see stevie franchise come back, i hope hes still nice

sook
11-28-2008, 07:25 PM
the only place steve francis might avg double digits would be the D-league, srry OP but put the pipe down.

Indazone
11-28-2008, 07:32 PM
haha another hatah. He'll prove you wrong come Jan/Feb.

MrChug
11-28-2008, 08:18 PM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHH......pullllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeezz zzzzzzzeeeeeeeeee play Steve Francis at least 25 minutes a game!!!!!! (*prays*)

The Rockets will be on a 5 game losing streak in the blink of an eye and no one will know why! (I will)

Darrin
11-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Is this article about Ken Griffey?

Indazone
11-29-2008, 01:18 PM
He's your worst nightmare

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa149/aimelchen/The-Shining---Jack-Nicholson-Poster.jpg

ElNono
11-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Can he play tonight against the Spurs, pretty please?

Roxsfan
11-29-2008, 01:55 PM
glad to hear.

Dex
11-29-2008, 02:04 PM
I'd love to see the Franchise back.

Just one more match in a closet full of dynamite.

MrChug
11-29-2008, 03:00 PM
I'd love to see the Franchise back.

Just one more match in a closet full of dynamite.

...and he'll give O.J. Mayo more tape to watch of the man he patterned his game after!

DANILO DRASKOVIC
11-29-2008, 03:38 PM
I thought that dude fell off the face of the earth

xtremesteven33
11-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Id much rather have Frances coming off the bench than Aaron Brooks.

E20
11-29-2008, 04:12 PM
The Rockets have 4 potential all stars.

T-Mac
Yao
Francis
Artest

Francis > Alston

Role playes are decent:
Scola
Barry
Battier
Hayes

Rockets record should not be what it is. Adelmen needs to coach better.

Indazone
11-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Scola would be putting up All-Star numbers if he got the minutes.

mavsfan1000
11-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Francis sucks.

Dex
11-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Francis is one of the most talented losers I've ever seen.

I don't mean that particularly personally. The guy is a great player. He just has a knack for making boneheaded decisions at the worst times.

I can't wait to see the next big "Franchise finish".

Bob Lanier
11-29-2008, 08:03 PM
I thought you meant him
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20081129/capt.bdfaab84a42f4d7898bc93cead2e1cd7.bobcats_pace rs_basketball_naf110.jpg

cze1860
11-29-2008, 08:08 PM
SF‘s back ???

Indazone
12-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Morey was on 610 today that Stevie Franchise is suiting up due to the injuries. They were aiming to bring him back at the All-Star Break because they want him fully recovered and not make a mistake like last time with him playing injured.