PDA

View Full Version : Adande: Lebron doesn't need New York

Thunder Dan
11-28-2008, 10:03 AM
LeBron doesn't need New York to shine brightly

By J.A. Adande

The two biggest NBA myths around are that LeBron James needs to be in New York and that the league needs the Knicks to be good.

Anyone who still believes you can make it only in Manhattan probably still calls remote controls "clickers." This isn't the Walter Cronkite era, when we got our news from men sitting at desks in New York. These aren't the old Don Draper days, when everything we thought we knew and needed was generated by the ad shops on Madison Avenue.

LeBron, playing in little old Cleveland, stands to make more in endorsement money this year than New York Yankees superstars Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter will combined. And they play for the Yankees. LeBron could win eight championships with the Knicks and they still wouldn't rule that city the way the Yankees do. Oh, and you could add Peyton Manning's $13 million to Jeter and A-Rod's $14 million and it still won't match LeBron's $28 million in off-court money this year.

(If we didn't have bigger racial breakthroughs this year, we might ruminate on sociological implications of an African-American basketball player making more than twice as much endorsement money as a white NFL quarterback. Let's just say LeBron should be thankful for Julius Erving, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan and even O.J. Simpson for making it possible for him to be the highest-paid team athlete in American sports this year.)

The only two people ahead of LeBron on Sports Illustrated's 2008 "Fortunate 50" list are golfers Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson. They can live anywhere they want, but they don't feel the need to be in New York. They'll pass on the outrageous price-per-square-footage costs for dwellings that don't have a single blade of grass. They'd rather be in Florida and Arizona, where they can be warm and (in Tiger's case) avoid paying state income taxes.

Now if James wants New York's vibrancy and thin-crust pizza, that's one thing. Maybe he just wants to play 41 games a year in Madison Square Garden. From the savvy fans to the booming sound system, it's still the NBA's best arena when it's at full blast.

But let's dispense with the notion that he has to go there, that it's the next step in his career and any other location between there and Los Angeles is a waste of his time. Patrick Ewing got to New York a year after MJ went to the Midwest … and you don't see people wearing Ewing's silhouette on their shoes.

LeBron made the cover of Sports Illustrated and played games on ESPN when he was a high schooler in Akron. In Cleveland, he's been on the cover of Fortune, Time and Vogue (maybe he should have rethought that last one). He has hosted "Saturday Night Live."

You don't need to go to the media anymore. The media come to you, even if it means parking a satellite truck at your curb. Just ask Joe the Plumber. In the world of YouTube, Flickr and Facebook, anyone with a digital camera and a high-speed Internet connection is the media. In fact, LeBron's best work can be found on the Web, in that sublime scene where Smooth LeBron romances Nicole Scherzinger with a pair of high-tops.

If LeBron goes to New York, he won't get any famouser. I'm forced to use a made-up word because the Knicks are a made-up mythology, somehow considered to be among the elite franchises even though the Rockets have won just as many championships in 21 fewer years of existence. The Warriors, Trail Blazers and Heat have won more recently than the Knicks. The Bullets and Sonics have won more recently, too, only they're not the Bullets and Sonics anymore.

When it comes to the league's health, the Knicks are like tonsils. It's nice to have them, but you can live without them. At the NBA's zenith in the 1980s, the stars of the program were in L.A. and Boston. The Knicks were the sideshow, giving us the occasional Bernard King scoring outbursts or the Ewing lottery. The best they could be in the early 1990s was an interesting villain to be vanquished, Sgt. Slaughter to Jordan's Hulk Hogan.

What happened the first two times Jordan retired and allowed the Knicks to get their time in the spotlight? Viewers left in droves. The biggest NBA Finals ratings drop-offs were from a 17.9 for Jordan in 1993 to a 12.4 for the Knicks and Rockets in 1994 and an 18.7 for Jordan in 1998 to an 11.3 for the Knicks and Spurs in 1999.

It doesn't matter that the Knicks reside in the nation's largest television market. New York only matters to New Yorkers. The rest of the country doesn't care.

Maybe LeBron buys into the New York hype because it seems as if he has spent his whole life surrounded by hype. The difference is, LeBron lives up to it.

AnotherArgie
11-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Nice article.

Stump
11-28-2008, 11:06 AM
A nice well-overdue reality check from all the recent hype

Matchman
11-28-2008, 11:21 AM
It doesn't matter that the Knicks reside in the nation's largest television market. New York only matters to New Yorkers. The rest of the country doesn't care.

Maybe LeBron buys into the New York hype because it seems as if he has spent his whole life surrounded by hype. The difference is, LeBron lives up to it.

yes and there are 20 million of them. the fact is the New York Knicks remains to be the only Franchise in a big market without a true franchise player in recent history to be remembered. the Lakers got Magic, Shaq and Kobe, Bulls got Jordan, Houston got Hakeem and Drexler. Knicks got.... Ewing, who didnt even bring home a trophy.
by the way, the only reason the Knicks didnt get as much attention as the other teams in the 1990s is because they played a JVG game: tough defense, boring offense.
and Yes, LeBron will become famouser if he were to sign with the Knicks. new york will matter to more people other than the newyorkers, just like we all watched the chicago bulls finals eventhough we dont live there.

duncan228
11-28-2008, 12:31 PM
'Bron just doesn't get it (http://www.newssun.com/sports/FRI-11-28-DanColumn)
By Dan Hoehne

Here we go again, another professional athlete giving me reason to rant.

Here I was, enjoying the beginning of the high school basketball and soccer seasons, aglow in the fantastic story of Myron Rolle's winning of a Rhode's Scholarship while also doubling as a Florida State Seminole defensive back.

Then, Wednesday morning, on the Mike and Mike in the Morning show, I hear the quotes of LeBron James.

I've never been anti-James, or a 'Bron basher.

He's a phenomenal basketball player, a freak of nature and someone who plays the game the right way.

I've always liked the fact that he often has to be told to shoot more.

His public dalliances I find kind of distasteful - showing up to a Cleveland Indians game in a Yankee cap.

But as a player, I like him.

That took a bit of a turn with what I heard from him, even though it started out sounding good.

As he will be one of the most sought-after free agents in 2010, he was putting in perspective what is important - winning.

To paraphrase, he was mentioning how he respected what Tim Duncan had done to help the Spurs get to be a perennial power.

Taking short-term contracts, allowing for flexibility to maybe take a smaller contract the next year so the team could sign other players that would help the team.

With the NBA salary cap, it makes sense, since if one player is making so much, it inhibits the team from adding certain players.

It limits a teams' options as far as perhaps getting that key player, or players, with the right talent that may get them over the hump.

Taking this 'team first' theme, a reporter then asked James if that meant that he'd take a less-than-maximum contract when he becomes a free agent.

"I didn't say that," James joked. "I like the talent part, bringing the talent in, but I didn't say I was taking less."

Which basically denounces everything he just said about what Duncan has done to help build a winner.

Wasn't it LeBron that got like $90 million from Nike before he had ever played a game in the NBA?

Has he burned through that already with his 2400-square-foot closets?

If he insists on signing only a maximum contract, wouldn't that severely limit his teams ability to bring in the talent to help him 'be all about winning?'

Just another one of those things about professional athletes that makes you go hmmm.

JamStone
11-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Not needing something doesn't preclude you from wanting it.

Bob Lanier
11-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Painful jealousy from that LA hack.

mystargtr34
11-28-2008, 06:00 PM
JA Adande would be all over LeBron's jock if he was contemplating a move to LA

Spur-Addict
11-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Painful jealousy from that LA hack.

JA Adande would be all over LeBron's jock if he was contemplating a move to LA

Hell yeah, I can't stand this L.A lame, he always stays six inches from the laker jockstrap. He's a celeb groupie as well. He is the posterboy for cornballs.