PDA

View Full Version : Amare hits a new level of douchebaguerism

lefty
11-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Stoudemire: 'I want to be that guy'

PHOENIX -- The scene was the home locker room, minutes after the Suns had emphatically illustrated they are not who we're used to seeing and certainly are not where they want to be. Amare Stoudemire stood at his locker with his head bowed, looking distant amid a crowd of familiar faces, resembling a sad puppy who had lost his way.

The Phoenix Suns had not only been beaten by the Los Angeles Lakers over the course of 48 excruciating minutes, they had been beat down. L.A.'s precision had been in full effect, its togetherness undeniable, as had been the Lakers' depth and confidence. And so, indeed, had been the good time they were having at the Suns' expense.

"They did look really good out there," Stoudemire said, deadpan. "They were fluid, flowing. Just doing what they do. I remember when we looked like that."

Stoudemire stopped right there.

He knew he didn't need to say another word.

The Suns, 11-5 on the season, still sit near the top of the Western Conference standings. They still have Stoudemire and Steve Nash. Add the usual bandits like Raja Bell, Boris Diaw and Grant Hill, and one would think Phoenix is still the same potent team it's been in recent memory.

Except that is simply not true.

For one thing, the Suns don't have departed coach Mike D'Antoni, who averaged 58 wins the past four seasons. In his place is new coach Terry Porter, whose mandate is to tweak the offense and cater more to Shaquille O'Neal (acquired from Miami halfway into last season) -- but more so to fix a defense that surrendered 105 points per game (24th in the league) and 45.6 percent shooting from the field (18th in the league) last season.

Supposedly, this transition will transform the Suns from all-entertainment status to legitimate title contenders. So say Hill and almost everyone else in Phoenix's locker room.

Almost!

"I hope so," said Stoudemire, who is averaging 22.6 points, 8.3 rebounds and 57.4 percent shooting from the field thus far, showing little regression despite the changes. "The goal is bigger than just myself. It's to win a championship. Do everything it takes. But in the process, I'm also trying to be the best I can be, too."

Sorry! But few, if any, can tell what direction Phoenix is headed right now.

In recent seasons, the Suns were considered a top-three team in the West. Now, with the emergence of the Lakers, Utah, New Orleans and Houston, along with omnipresent San Antonio (when healthy), the Suns are lucky if they get mentioned in the top six.

The Suns are running less, and less effectively, than they have in years past. The frenetic pace made so famous by D'Antoni has virtually disappeared during the first month of this season.

Time and again, spacing is an issue because Shaq is clogged in the middle where Stoudemire used to be all by himself. It forces Stoudemire to stay away from the basket more, engaging in predictable pick-and-rolls or just being a perimeter shooter -- when everyone knows his athleticism and aerial assault were what made him arguably the best offensive power forward in the game over the past two seasons.

When asked about his situation, Stoudemire said, "You've got LeBron James who's a featured guy. You've got Dwyane Wade. He's a featured guy. Dwight Howard? They go to him. Chris Bosh? They go to him.

"Bottom line: I want to be that guy. I want to show the league and the world that I feel like my game has improved to that level."

When asked whether he felt Porter's new system was helping that cause, Stoudemire said, "I'm not sure."

When told it wasn't good for him to feel that way, his response: "It ain't great!"

Stoudemire left it at that. So Porter, knowing Stoudemire -- and others -- might have some reservations about the new world order in Phoenix, elected to elaborate for him.

As a player, you should look at the teams you might want to play for. The city you may want to live in. The system you may want to play in. The economy. The cost of living. Everything. It's about what's best for you.
--Amare Stoudemire
"The important thing with Amare is that we have to continue to win games," Porter said. "He's getting touches in the areas he needs to get touches. He just has to be aggressive. I think the last few games he's gotten the ball in the areas he's needed to get the ball. He's gotten the attempts he's needed. We just have to keep working at it.

"I've talked to him a lot about having to grow in other areas of his game in order to be mentioned with guys like Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett. Those guys came in and had a presence offensively, but as the years progressed, their defense got considerably better. And Amare has gotten better from day one. So in my mind, I believe he'll be fine."

The thing is, it doesn't matter how anyone but Stoudemire feels, as it pertains to Stoudemire, if the future is what the Suns are concerned about.

Shaq goes out of his way to say, "Amare is a helluva player. He's the most athletic power forward I've seen in a while, and he's our main guy." But that hasn't stopped anyone from noticing Phoenix is, as Bell says, "Shaq's team right now. No complaints. We're just all adjusting."

Then there's Nash, the former two-time league MVP, looking bewildered for the first time in years. As point guard, he feels similar concern, despite having the ball in his hands most of the time.

"You're not wrong in that we're not where we want to be yet," Nash said. "We're not running as much as we would like to. We've got some work to do.

"We emphasized going inside and our half-court game for six weeks during training camp and the preseason. That's what you're seeing. If we play too methodically for all 82 games, it's going to wear guys down. No doubt.

"But [Porter] wants us to run. We want to run. Eventually, we'll be fine."

[+] EnlargeHarry How/Getty Images

LeBron's not the only superstar who'll have the opportunity to don new colors in 2010.
They'd better be. Because while all this talk has circulated about the potential 2010 availability of LeBron, D-Wade and Bosh, they are not alone on that list.

Asked whether he thinks about his own availability in 2010, Stoudemire didn't hesitate: "Absolutely! You have to look at those opportunities because this is a business and you want to explore every option. I guarantee you every owner will explore their options, especially when a player's contract is up. So it's the same for players. It's definitely the same for me.

"As a player, you should look at the teams you might want to play for. The city you may want to live in. The system you may want to play in. The economy. The cost of living. Everything. It's about what's best for you."

Are you listening, Phoenix? Rest assured, 29 other teams certainly are.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=smith_stephen&page=Stoudemire-081128

xtremesteven33
11-28-2008, 12:14 PM
i dont get it

JamStone
11-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Amare can often be a douchebag for a lot of things he says and does.

But, I don't see anything in that article that paints him as a douchebag.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-28-2008, 12:28 PM
It's a basic interview. What's douchebag about it?

Armando
11-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Why would it make him a douchebag? He is not saying anything different then LeBron about his 2010 free agency. I will be disappointed if he left but what can you do. He has to do what he feels is best for him. Team owners do whats best for them why are the players any different?

mavs>spurs2
11-28-2008, 01:03 PM
I'd actually say this is one of the view times Amare conducted a normal interview..nothing douchbag about it

monosylab1k
11-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Thread starter is the only one hitting a new level of "douchebaguerism"

I. Hustle
11-28-2008, 01:33 PM
I say send him to Charlotte or some other crap ass team and let him be the star. He doesnt want to win he just wants the spotlight.

Shank
11-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Not enough George Hill mentions in that article.

Biggems
11-28-2008, 01:57 PM
if he is unhappy or unsure of his role in PHX, in 2010 he can bring his game to San Antonio and play next to the best PF of all time.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Fail, lefty.

lefty
11-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Aaaaaargh !!!!!!

Sorry, I copied/paste the wrong title :bang:bang:bang

mavs>spurs2
11-28-2008, 02:46 PM
:lmao way to cop out..

z0sa
11-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Aaaaaargh !!!!!!

Sorry, I copied/paste the wrong title :bang:bang:bang

:lol not buyin' it.

These chemistry problems were inevitable. We'll have to wait and see what happens, but at this point, I'm hoping we see these fucks again in the PO.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Just come clean, it'll be easier on you.

Reck
11-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Dont they all say "I want to be that guy" in the NBA?

Every player wants to be the star, even if he is an average player.

I guess I'm used to seen PHX be a running team so they're out of what they know best. It will take some time for them to get accustom to the new pace their new coach is heading them.

z0sa
11-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Dont they all say "I want to be that guy" in the NBA?

Every player wants to be the star, even if he is an average player.

I guess I'm used to seen PHX be a running team so they're out of what they know best. It will take some time for them to get accustom to the new pace their new coach is heading them.

The only ones who prefer this pace are Shaquille O'Neal's old, tired legs.

lurker
11-28-2008, 10:11 PM
lol at Amare having a bad game against the Heat after his comments.

Armando
11-28-2008, 10:14 PM

He is having a awful game for sure. So far not a single freethrow attempt against a undersized Miami frontline.

barbacoataco
11-28-2008, 10:25 PM
I can see the douchebaguerism in this interview because he basically says that even if the team succeeds, he is worried that his stats will go down. Remember his nickname is "stat" so that tells you what is important to him.

He's not unique in this though. Most of the top NBA players, when they look at the scoreboard they look at their numbers first and then the score of the game. Players like Duncan are rare in that they aren't playing to pump up their stats.

ducks
11-28-2008, 11:04 PM
amare is going to run to his former coach

MrChug
11-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Amare's a fuckin douchebag. He's not a leader, he's a scorer. He's not a team player, but he wants to be THE MAN.

Fuck that dude and the failure that he is as an NBA player.

Anti.Hero
11-28-2008, 11:05 PM
It's pretty amazing Amare still sucks on defense after this many years.

ShoogarBear
11-28-2008, 11:19 PM
lefty left out (no pun) some additional quotes that might have made more sense of the thread title:

"Terry Porter. Yeah, great championship knowledge. All those rings. Hey, didn't the Spurs win a title the year before he got there, and the year after he left?"

"No, I'm all in favor of slowing the pace down. It lets the home health aides change the Depends of the season ticket holders without interrupting the game flow."

"Mmm, Nash wifey is looking kinda fly. I might have to do some pushups on toppa that, knowwaddamean?"

"Smart move, making the team Shaq's team. What do we do the 50 games of the year he don't play?"

sribb43
11-28-2008, 11:47 PM
What a loser

TDMVPDPOY
11-29-2008, 04:43 AM
i hope he come to the spurs....duncan can just give the title to him as first option on offense, and duncan watches his back on defense.....

sexinthatsx
12-01-2008, 12:14 AM

LOL @ Amare for today's game against the Nets after going public with his feelings. Terry Porter played Amare for 37 minutes, and shaq for 26. Amare certainly filled up the stat sheet but it seems like he's going nowhere in terms of winning for the team or being a team player he claims to be for that matter

Armando
12-01-2008, 12:58 AM
So I guess this means they traded the wrong player last Febraury. BTW in response to that other post about Amare for KG was a no brainer it was actually Marion that killed that deal. Boston was supposed to get Marion in a deal that would have sent KG to Phoenix but he did not want to sign an extension with the Celts. I think that worked out well for Boston.