PDA

View Full Version : Kiffin gets Tennessee job

j-6
11-28-2008, 03:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3731656

Tennessee has reached an agreement with former Oakland Raiders coach Lane Kiffin to take over as the Volunteers' next coach, with an announcement planned for Monday, barring any snags, according to multiple sources.

Kiffin, 33, will be making his college head coaching debut in succeeding Phillip Fulmer, who will coach his last game for the Vols on Saturday.

Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton denied reports on Wednesday that Kiffin had been offered a contract. But Kiffin has been at the forefront of the Vols' search for some time.

Part of the holdup is that Tennessee didn't want to do anything officially this week that would take away from Fulmer's final game Saturday against Kentucky. Fulmer was fired by Hamilton on Nov. 2 and allowed to finish out the season. He's been at Tennessee as a player, assistant coach and head coach for 35 years.

The university has dubbed Saturday's game "Phillip Fulmer Appreciation Day" at Neyland Stadium in celebration of his 17-year tenure.

Kiffin was 5-15 in a year and a half with the Oakland Raiders before being fired earlier this season by team owner Al Davis.

Kiffin, the youngest head coach in NFL history when he was hired by the Raiders, earned $2 million per year in Oakland. His salary at Tennessee is expected to exceed that.

One of the big draws with Kiffin was the staff that he'll potentially be able to put together. He's talked with his father, Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, about joining him at Tennessee. The elder Kiffin is considered one of the foremost defensive minds in football.

Kiffin will become only the fifth head coach at Tennessee in the last 45 years. He had stints as offensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator at USC and shared play-calling duties with quarterbacks coach Steve Sarkisian during his two-year run as offensive coordinator with the Trojans in 2005 and 2006.

=================================================

My take: This is a bad fit for both sides. He's a California guy that was Carroll's co-OC (with Sarkasian) for a year and then was a Al Davis shock-and-awe hire that failed miserably. Now Rocky Top thinks that Kiffin is going to invade the Deep South for talent? A program with the tradition (and financial capability) of Tennessee should have dragged David Cutcliffe back from Duke.

samikeyp
11-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Wow. Not the best choice, IMO.

j-6
11-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Wow. Not the best choice, IMO.

I remember when Davis hired Kiffin I said that he wasn't even the best offensive assistant SC had. Now he's got the keys to a storied program like Tennessee and was the first hire of the carousel. Rocky Top better pray his dad is coming with him.

usckk
11-28-2008, 03:54 PM
I go to UT, and I think he is a good choice compared to who's available now. Kiffin is known to be a great recruiter, which is the most important attribute. TN has very few college prospects, so the next coach MUST be a good recruiter to be able to cherry-pick players from other states.

Davide Cutcliffe was never an option. Tennessee wanted to completely move into a new direction and leave all Fulmer-related staff behind.

The other options were: Mike Leach (he would never come here after what he has going there in TX tech already) and Brian Kelly of Cinci (not that great of a recruiter)

2centsworth
11-28-2008, 04:11 PM
I go to UT, and I think he is a good choice compared to who's available now. Kiffin is known to be a great recruiter, which is the most important attribute. TN has very few college prospects, so the next coach MUST be a good recruiter to be able to cherry-pick players from other states.

Davide Cutcliffe was never an option. Tennessee wanted to completely move into a new direction and leave all Fulmer-related staff behind.

The other options were: Mike Leach (he would never come here after what he has going there in TX tech already) and Brian Kelly of Cinci (not that great of a recruiter)

Mike Leach would have never gone before it became obvious he needs to have access to top level recruits to win it all. Oklahoma exposed Tech's lack of talent. I think Leach would have jumped ship.

samikeyp
11-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Mike Leach would have never gone before it became obvious he needs to have access to top level recruits to win it all. Oklahoma exposed Tech's lack of talent. I think Leach would have jumped ship.

and he still could for the Washington job.

monosylab1k
11-29-2008, 01:38 AM
Kiffin's a great coach. Judging him on what happened in Oakland is just stupid, as he was performing with one hand tied behind his back.

I think he'll do fine.

stretch
11-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Kiffin is a good coach. What happened in Oakland was not his fault. If it wasn't for Al Davis, the team was talented enough to compete for a playoff spot.

TheTruth
11-30-2008, 03:46 PM
ESPN reports that he's bringing his poppa to be DC.

K-State Spur
11-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Has any potential coach received so much hype for accomplishing so little in the past?

Extra Stout
11-30-2008, 04:07 PM
I think this was a major mistake by Tennessee that will turn them into the Texas A&M of the SEC, and spoil what could have been a much more fruitful career for Kiffin had he not had too much thrown at him too soon.

johngateswhiteley
11-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Kiffin is a good coach. What happened in Oakland was not his fault. If it wasn't for Al Davis, the team was talented enough to compete for a playoff spot.

i agree, Kiffin was doing a good job. oakland was much more competitive this year...its all Al Davis and his damn micro managing.

tonylongoriafan
11-30-2008, 05:21 PM
i was hoping he was holding out for the UTSA job!

K-State Spur
11-30-2008, 06:37 PM

it's not so much that he did a bad job there, it's just what HAS he done?

he was unspectacular in oakland. he had a short track record as far as x's and o's at USC. he earned a reputation for a good recruiter, but being able to recruit kids to USC with Pete Carrol having your back is about the equivalent of being able to recruit basketball players to Duke to play for Coach K - there's just no way of knowing if that will translate to other locales.

usckk
12-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Kiffen and UT had a news conference yesterday, and boy is Kiffin's wife super hot! ;)

If he can get a wife as hot as her, you know Lane's got game.

Whisky Dog
12-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Kiffin was a good 'ol boy network hire and won't be able to recruit the south worth a shit. Al Davis is a fuck head, but Kiffin was also a weasly, back stabber during his time there.