PDA

View Full Version : Mark Stein (ESPN) about George Hill

biba
11-29-2008, 03:27 AM
WEEK-END DIME Mark Stein, ESPN

Updated: November 28, 2008
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-081129-30

Carlesimo's dismissal has generated presidential levels of coverage compared to the spotlight San Antonio's George Hill attracts.

You'd have to have a deep conversation about rookie guards before you get to Hill, at a time when Chicago's Derrick Rose and Memphis' O.J. Mayo each entered the weekend with five 25-point games this month, which is only three 25-point games shy of the November that a rookie named Michael Jordan had in 1984.

Of course, Hill's low profile only makes him more of a trademark Spur. Right?

Hill had a disappointing summer after San Antonio unexpectedly made him the 26th overall pick in the June draft out of IUPUI, which suggested that he wouldn't be getting much of a look from Popovich as a rook. But the early injuries suffered by Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili forced Hill to play major minutes and make crunch-time decisions right away. Just knowing he'd be out there seemed to pump Hill with the sort of confidence that we didn't see in summer league, resulting in four straight games of 19 points or better entering Friday's play.

Devastating as the ankle injuries suffered by Ginobili and Parker should have been, they wound up nudging Hill and fellow newcomer Roger Mason into immediate roles of prominence, speeding up what is typically a slow transition to the Spurs' way. As the venerable Robert Horry shared last week, explaining why it didn't surprise him at all that the Spurs started 1-4 without Ginobili: "It's not an easy system to learn. I think they have about 300 plays."

Add it all up and concerns about the Spurs' depth have been reduced significantly, at least in the backcourt, with Ginobili back now and Parker's return coming soon. The Spurs could still use another scoring threat and some frontcourt depth, but a long-standing void at backup point guard looks like it's going to be filled by Hill. If it hasn't been filled already.

San Antonio Express-News columnist Buck Harvey, who has seen more of the Spurs over the past two decades than just about anyone, is already making the case that the emergence of Hill and Mason means Popovich suddenly has the deepest guard rotation he's ever had.

homer
11-29-2008, 03:35 AM
WEEK-END DIME Mark Stein, ESPN

Updated: November 28, 2008
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-081129-30

Carlesimo's dismissal has generated presidential levels of coverage compared to the spotlight San Antonio's George Hill attracts.

You'd have to have a deep conversation about rookie guards before you get to Hill, at a time when Chicago's Derrick Rose and Memphis' O.J. Mayo each entered the weekend with five 25-point games this month, which is only three 25-point games shy of the November that a rookie named Michael Jordan had in 1984.

Of course, Hill's low profile only makes him more of a trademark Spur. Right?

Hill had a disappointing summer after San Antonio unexpectedly made him the 26th overall pick in the June draft out of IUPUI, which suggested that he wouldn't be getting much of a look from Popovich as a rook. But the early injuries suffered by Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili forced Hill to play major minutes and make crunch-time decisions right away. Just knowing he'd be out there seemed to pump Hill with the sort of confidence that we didn't see in summer league, resulting in four straight games of 19 points or better entering Friday's play.

Devastating as the ankle injuries suffered by Ginobili and Parker should have been, they wound up nudging Hill and fellow newcomer Roger Mason into immediate roles of prominence, speeding up what is typically a slow transition to the Spurs' way. As the venerable Robert Horry shared last week, explaining why it didn't surprise him at all that the Spurs started 1-4 without Ginobili: "It's not an easy system to learn. I think they have about 300 plays."

Add it all up and concerns about the Spurs' depth have been reduced significantly, at least in the backcourt, with Ginobili back now and Parker's return coming soon. The Spurs could still use another scoring threat and some frontcourt depth, but a long-standing void at backup point guard looks like it's going to be filled by Hill. If it hasn't been filled already.

San Antonio Express-News columnist Buck Harvey, who has seen more of the Spurs over the past two decades than just about anyone, is already making the case that the emergence of Hill and Mason means Popovich suddenly has the deepest guard rotation he's ever had.

great problem for Pop to have.:hat

timvp
11-29-2008, 03:36 AM
The Spurs could still use another scoring threatWith TD, Manu and TP all looking good scoring the ball, RMJ scoring well, Hill scoring well and Finley hitting his shots ... I can't really agree with that assessment. An additional scoring threat would just be taking shots away from the Big Three.

Obstructed_View
11-29-2008, 05:29 AM
With TD, Manu and TP all looking good scoring the ball, RMJ scoring well, Hill scoring well and Finley hitting his shots ... I can't really agree with that assessment. An additional scoring threat would just be taking shots away from the Big Three.

Yeah, without another basketball, the Spurs don't need another scorer. What they need is to get really really good at recognizing what constitutes a good shot and making sure to always take the best one of the possession, regardless of who gets it.

By the way, is there anyone here who thinks Hill wouldn't be putting up the same numbers as Rose if he were playing 40 mpg on a bad team?

m33p0
11-29-2008, 05:32 AM
http://lonestartimes.com/images/madagascar_modified.bmp

wijayas
11-29-2008, 05:34 AM
Yeah, without another basketball, the Spurs don't need another scorer. What they need is to get really really good at recognizing what constitutes a good shot and making sure to always take the best one of the possession, regardless of who gets it.

By the way, is there anyone here who thinks Hill wouldn't be putting up the same numbers as Rose if he were playing 40 mpg on a bad team?

:tu

polandprzem
11-29-2008, 05:35 AM
Spurs problem was lack of shooters.
Still if Finley will hit his low and won't hit jack I don't know if the spurs got enough fire power from outside.

Obstructed_View
11-29-2008, 05:42 AM
Spurs problem was lack of shooters.

Specifically, two point shooters. Hopefully they take advantage of the ability of several guys on this team to hit mid range jumpers.

Spur-Addict
11-29-2008, 06:18 AM
With TD, Manu and TP all looking good scoring the ball, RMJ scoring well, Hill scoring well and Finley hitting his shots ... I can't really agree with that assessment. An additional scoring threat would just be taking shots away from the Big Three.

A decent second post option would be nice, can't deny that.

stéphane
11-29-2008, 07:24 AM
A decent second post option would be nice, can't deny that.

True but twice more balls in TD's hands is not that a bad option either.

anakha
11-29-2008, 07:43 AM

You might wanna rephrase that.

Just letting you know. ;)

mrspurs
11-29-2008, 08:12 AM

Yeah maybe in a 7 game series. But right now half a second option in the low post would be nice. And its gonna happen. Who that option is we'll find out soon enough.

Frenchise player
11-29-2008, 08:24 AM

He would have better volume numbers but he wouldn't be as efficient.

Russ
11-29-2008, 10:40 AM
The Spurs could still use another scoring threat.

The Spurs addressed their scoring woes in typical Spurs fashion -- on the cheap with Mason and Hill. :)

Maybe they could still do that with a big.

The Truth #6
11-29-2008, 11:00 AM
This is probably the most depth the Spurs have had at the wings since Pop has been here.

But is it the most all time for the Spurs?

I'm trying to think. I recall the 1990 team had lots of talent but everyone was younger - Strickland, Anderson, Ninja, Maxwell, Reggie Williams. Am I forgetting anyone?

exstatic
11-29-2008, 11:02 AM
I agree with timvp with one caveat: I think that with the reduction of minutes, Finley's shooting will go back into the deep freeze, and Ime will ultimately take that final wing spot of 10-15 minutes because he doesn't have to score to be effective on the court.

picnroll
11-29-2008, 11:05 AM
I think Bruce is going to get minutes shaved. I still think his D has fallen off some and I think Pop will give some defensive up for offense.

SequSpur
11-29-2008, 11:16 AM
whatever........

TDMVPDPOY
11-29-2008, 01:00 PM
apparently the post player you guys talkin about is in spain for another 2yrs....

hill is fo'real

Blackjack
11-29-2008, 01:18 PM
The Spurs could use some front line athleticism (whether a 3/4 or 4/5) for defense and rebounding against some of the bigger teams, but I don't see them needing more scoring.

If Ian doesn't pan out, or is just viewed as too green to be counted on down the stretch, I'd like them to try and aquire Diogu. While I don't necessarily believe they need scoring, I do feel it would benefit them greatly to have someone other than Tim that can play in the post and hit the glass on the offensive boards.

Obstructed_View
11-29-2008, 01:28 PM
He would have better volume numbers but he wouldn't be as efficient.

He isn't as efficient as Rose yet he's very close statistically. If he were playing 38 minutes a game instead of 24 for a bad team with a rookie coach, he'd almost certainly be even less efficient, but his numbers would be quite a bit better despite it.

my2sons
11-29-2008, 01:45 PM
I think Bruce is going to get minutes shaved. I still think his D has fallen off some and I think Pop will give some defensive up for offense.

Really, seems to me whenever he was on mayo you could definitely hear the announcers talk about his frustration level increasing.

sanman53
11-29-2008, 04:50 PM
"As the venerable Robert Horry shared last week, explaining why it didn't surprise him at all that the Spurs started 1-4 without Ginobili: "It's not an easy system to learn. I think they have about 300 plays."'

I have always wondered why players have problems adjusting to the Spurs' system.

tmtcsc
11-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Roger Mason has been exactly what I thought Michael Finley and/or Brent Barry were supposed to be for the Spurs. What a great addition to the team. All the bellyaching and crying from fans who thought they knew what was best for the Spurs has once again been extinguished.

I know its early but I sure hope this quiets down all the talk of Front Office "incompetence" and "RC should be fired". At the end of the day, we sit at a computer and play GM while these guys do it for $$$.

homer
11-29-2008, 05:03 PM
You might wanna rephrase that.

Just letting you know. ;)

:lmao:lmao:rollin I caught that, too. So........ I guess it's true. Dirty minds do think alike. :hat

Spur-Addict
11-29-2008, 05:13 PM

Right, so umm what happens when TD gets into foul trouble from time to time? Or what will happen when he sits down for stretches and there is nothing as a post threat? All teams won't have sub par interiors. We also can't pick and roll to death against other teams. You know, there are other scenarios, and teams who have better than average defenses.

HarlemHeat37
11-29-2008, 05:34 PM
we don't need another post threat at all..we just need another big that can finish at the rim and/or make the jumper consistently..our post player needs to rebound and defend, and that's the main concern for me..we don't need more scoring..

we have the best guard rotation in the NBA..we have shooters and we have penetrators..our non-Duncan bigs will just have to be able to finish strong off the penetration from our guards, or make open jumpers off the penetration from our guards..that's the only offensive role they'll need..

we don't need other post players that we'll actually run plays through, it's unnecessary IMO..

Spur-Addict
11-29-2008, 05:40 PM
we don't need another post threat at all..we just need another big that can finish at the rim and/or make the jumper consistently..our post player needs to rebound and defend, and that's the main concern for me..we don't need more scoring..

we have the best guard rotation in the NBA..we have shooters and we have penetrators..our non-Duncan bigs will just have to be able to finish strong off the penetration from our guards, or make open jumpers off the penetration from our guards..that's the only offensive role they'll need..

we don't need other post players that we'll actually run plays through, it's unnecessary IMO..

Opinions are opinions, I respect that. But games tighten up, and they will, and we'll be in a nice place to have a decent second post option. I'm not saying we need a flat out beast, just someone who can give a presence for a four minute stretch. Someone with a decent hook, that's all. Right now there is none of that. If you honestly think jumpers are going to fall all the time all year during these stretches, you may be in for a rude awakening.