PDA

View Full Version : Giddens, Flash Edge Toros in Season Opener

Spurs Brazil
11-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Giddens, Flash Edge Toros in Season Opener

AUSTIN, Texas, Nov. 28, 2008 – J.R. Giddens nailed a baseline jumper at the buzzer in overtime to lift the Utah Flash to a season-opening 93-91 victory over the Austin Toros Friday at the Austin Convention Center.

On assignment from the Boston Celtics, Giddens notched a double-double in his first action with the Flash, finishing with 19 points and 12 rebounds. Bill Walker, also on assignment from the Celtics, led all Flash scorers with 23 points and was credited with the assist on Giddens’ game-winner. He also collected eight rebounds.

The Flash (1-0) plays the second of a two-game road swing to Texas to open the season when they travel at Rio Grande Valley Saturday. Austin (0-1) hosts the Tulsa 66ers on Saturday.

Dontell Jefferson finished with 15 points and a game-high eight assists for Utah in the third straight overtime game between Flash and the Toros dating back to Dec. 21 of last season.

“We showed a lot of toughness tonight,” Flash coach Brad Jones said. “We had the game in control and then they made some shots and the momentum switched down the stretch in regulation.”

The Flash led 43-41 at the half and stretched their advantage to 80-68 with 4:11 to play on a Brian Jackson dunk. That was the last field goal for the Flash in regulation. In the final four minutes of regulation, Utah missed five field goal attempts, three of four free-throw attempts and turned the ball over three times. Austin made a trio of 3-pointers, including one from Malik Hairston with nine seconds left to force OT.

Hairston made another trey with 1:10 to play in overtime, before a Jefferson jumper with sixth-tenths to play gave the Flash a 91-89 advantage. After Marcus Williams missed a pair of free throws for Austin with two seconds left in overtime, Hairston got the rebound and was fouled, but the clock failed to run.

The officials put 0.6 on the clock and Hairston nailed both free throws before the teams called timeout and Giddens drained the game-winner.

“It would have been easy for us to lay down when things didn’t go our way, but we didn’t,” Jones said. “We won a game on road against a good team and that’s the bottom line.”

Williams finished with a game-high 27 points for Austin and added 10 boards for his first double-double of the season. Hairston followed with 17 points and 12 rebounds. Charles Gaines had 13 boards for the Toros.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20081128/UTAAUS/recap.html

Box Score: http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=2020800004

mrspurs
11-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Not a great game for Ian. Hairston and Williams showed up to play and got alot more minutes because of it. Thanks alot Spurs Brazil. Keep up the great work.

Obstructed_View
11-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Marcus showed up to shoot. Maybe someone should remind him that he's the point guard.

benefactor
11-29-2008, 02:12 PM
If Hariston continues to play well we should waive Ahearn and bring him up. Maybe it will do the same thing to Udoka that Tolliver has done to Bonner.

DROB4EVER
11-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Hariston and Williams could be on the spurs bench sometime this year, we need a young SF, lets see what they got!

ChumpDumper
11-29-2008, 02:33 PM
What I learned yesterday:

Hairston is more clutch than Williams; Giddens is more clutch than both.

Tack Minor has won the backup point job for now, though turnovers are still killing this teams chances.

Ian is afraid of re-injuring his ankle. He's not crazy about contact and he's careful about when and where he jumps. I suppose he'll be that way for awhile.

Williams is great at playing the passing lanes and got most of his five steals that way.

Hairston plays good man D and got another of his now trademark athletic blocks, but completely blew a switch that allowed their "center" Brian Jackson to drive baseline and dunk.

Both Hairston and especially Williams need to improve their court vision on drives. Ezra Williams (a 40% D-League career 3-pt shooter) was wide open several times late as the Flash defense collapsed and thwarted their drives.

Charles Gaines looked more like Charles Smith with his soft layin and baby hook attempts. A little more aggression and he would have had 20 points to go along with his good rebound total. He's very active, but a little uncontrolled.

The officiating was exceptionally inconsistent. You could probably hear my yelling "Idiot!" when one of the refs called jump ball after Ezra clearly called time out three times on the ground in the last minute or two.

I think some pictures came out ok, I'll post them in a few.

duncan228
11-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the report ChumpDumper. The inside approach you give us is greatly appreciated.

HarlemHeat37
11-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Chump- I don't watch the D-league at all and I don't know anything about it..when do you think we'll see ANY signs of Mahinmi's potential contributions to our team? in other words, if you had to guess by watching the way he's been moving and reacting on the court, what % do you think he's playing at?..

HarlemHeat37
11-29-2008, 02:57 PM
also..I was pro-Hairston in training camp and pre-season..shouldn't he get a chance on this team? he's a solid defender at a key position, and he's showing that he can even contribute offensively, which wouldn't be expected of him in a big way..

Joe Schmoogins
11-29-2008, 03:02 PM
I think someone's asked this before, but does anyone know where I could get a toros home jersey? I'd love a Mahinmi jersey... but don't know where to get one. I live in Cali, and so going to a Toros game is not an option for me. I've looked online but can only find t-shirts, head bands and other non-jersey gear.

spursincharge
11-29-2008, 03:11 PM
I would reccomend calling the Toros office at 512-236-8333....that might be the only way...cause merchandise is really only available at games

ChumpDumper
11-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Chump- I don't watch the D-league at all and I don't know anything about it..when do you think we'll see ANY signs of Mahinmi's potential contributions to our team? in other words, if you had to guess by watching the way he's been moving and reacting on the court, what % do you think he's playing at?..When you include the mental aspect, I would have to put that number in the 60s. I expect him to spend most of December in Austin.

also..I was pro-Hairston in training camp and pre-season..shouldn't he get a chance on this team? he's a solid defender at a key position, and he's showing that he can even contribute offensively, which wouldn't be expected of him in a big way..The basics are there, but he needs work. The switch he blew would have gotten him benched as a Spur; on the Toros he can learn and keep playing.

I think someone's asked this before, but does anyone know where I could get a toros home jersey? I'd love a Mahinmi jersey... but don't know where to get one. I live in Cali, and so going to a Toros game is not an option for me. I've looked online but can only find t-shirts, head bands and other non-jersey gear.They only sell raod jersey replicas, and only at the games. You could try calling the Toros to see if they can ship one to you or I could just pick one up for you. They are black and have the number 21 on them, so you would technically be buying a Serge Angounou jersey.

angelbelow
11-29-2008, 03:15 PM
marcus has shown flashes of production. im sure the spurs are keeping close eyes on him too.

Obstructed_View
11-29-2008, 03:28 PM
also..I was pro-Hairston in training camp and pre-season..shouldn't he get a chance on this team? he's a solid defender at a key position, and he's showing that he can even contribute offensively, which wouldn't be expected of him in a big way..

The Toros run the same stuff as the Spurs. I want Hairston in San Antonio, but he might as well know what he's doing before they call him up, and he's going to need another few weeks of game speed to be in game shape; he had three weeks off after he was cut.

At this stage I'd like to see the Spurs figure out a way to get rid of Vaughn and at least lock Hairston up with a roster spot even if he doesn't play much outside Austin this season. I'd hate to see someone else grab him.

It's possible that Malik would be here instead of Ahearn if Parker hadn't gotten hurt and Bowen hadn't shown signs of life. As Bene said, he might light a fire under Ime if he can play well enough to warrant a callup.

ChumpDumper
11-29-2008, 03:53 PM
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-11-28%20Toros-Flash/P1030565.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-11-28%20Toros-Flash/P1030571.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-11-28%20Toros-Flash/P1030573.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-11-28%20Toros-Flash/P1030593.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-11-28%20Toros-Flash/P1030612.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-11-28%20Toros-Flash/P1030615.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-11-28%20Toros-Flash/P1030621.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-11-28%20Toros-Flash/P1030662.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-11-28%20Toros-Flash/P1030663.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-11-28%20Toros-Flash/P1030676.jpg

Joe Schmoogins
11-29-2008, 04:09 PM
They only sell raod jersey replicas, and only at the games. You could try calling the Toros to see if they can ship one to you or I could just pick one up for you. They are black and have the number 21 on them, so you would technically be buying a Serge Angounou jersey.

Thanks for the kind offer... I'll try to call the Toros, but if that doesn't work I may just take you up on your offer.

anakha
11-29-2008, 07:25 PM
It's possible that Malik would be here instead of Ahearn if Parker hadn't gotten hurt and Bowen hadn't shown signs of life. As Bene said, he might light a fire under Ime if he can play well enough to warrant a callup.

If Parker can come back 100%, Ahearn becomes expendable.

I'd say that helps Hairston's chances.

Bruno
11-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Great pics :tu

dbestpro
11-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Marcus played 47 minutes scored 27 points on 11 for 21.
Hairston 44 minutes scored 17 points on 4-14 shooting.

I would not say that Hairston had a good game.

Ian is only in Austin to get in game shape. Forget the stats for him or you'll hurt yourself.

Obstructed_View
11-29-2008, 08:25 PM
If Parker can come back 100%, Ahearn becomes expendable.

I'd say that helps Hairston's chances.

Depending upon how Ahearn's looking in practices, they may be trying to figure out how to part with JV. I'm sure we'll see Hairston get a spot before someone else with only 14 players decides to just grab him.

Bruno
11-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Toros plays tonight against Tulsa. Mahinmi is out because of a left ankle sprain (it was his "healthy" ankle) he had yesterday.

Obstructed_View
11-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Hairston 45 minutes scored 17 points on 4-14 shooting, also had 12 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals and a block and got an offensive rebound and drew a foul with 0.6 seconds left in overtime, hitting both free throws to tie the game.

I would not say that Hairston had a good game.

Amended. I wouldn't say he had an awful game either.

11-29-2008, 08:30 PM
with hill developing very quickly and parker coming back, the PG position is no longer in trouble. bring up hairston for SF competition or another big and waive ahearn. if parker needs more time to heal, mason, hill, and even vaughn will still be there.

Obstructed_View
11-29-2008, 08:36 PM
I've said it before, but I'd suggest that they only need to give Hairston a roster spot to keep him from other teams, but I'd like to see him play in Austin for as long as possible after that.

11-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Toros plays tonight against Tulsa. Mahinmi is out because of a left ankle sprain (it was his "healthy" ankle) he had yesterday.

mahinmi is really missing out. popovich has been experimenting with his big rotation and even limiting the minutes of oberto and thomas. if mahinmi was healthy, he would have been getting 15-20 minutes a night provided that he played well.

Obstructed_View
11-29-2008, 08:45 PM
qSfndZfKFNU