PDA

View Full Version : Officiating in basketball needs to be improved

Walton Buys Off Me
02-23-2005, 11:24 PM
Living in Canada without hockey, I've tried very hard to turn many bored people- men, women alike onto the game of basketball. Aside from the halftime show of the all-star game, everyone has the same complaint about the game; "what is a foul"?

This game tonight seems to me like it's been officiated by three teenagers that just smoked weed- absolutely ZERO consistency.

Dex
02-23-2005, 11:30 PM
Whatever the refs took before the game tonight, I want some.

ShoogarBear
02-23-2005, 11:41 PM
'Course, I have the same questions when I watch a hockey game.

Walton Buys Off Me
02-23-2005, 11:46 PM
I'm no fan of hockey, but hockey has bigger problems than officiating in case you haven't noticed.

smeagol
02-23-2005, 11:49 PM
Here we go again. LL at his best. Why don't you go and post at LG.net with all those whinners. You would fit right in.

SequSpur
02-23-2005, 11:50 PM
NBA is like Wrestling.......

the stars get the calls...... big deal...... Duncan gets alot of calls as well.

ShoogarBear
02-23-2005, 11:51 PM
I'm no fan of hockey, but hockey has bigger problems than officiating in case you haven't noticed.

Actually, I hadn't noticed, because I haven't been watching any NHL games this year.

Mebbe I'll check the TV guide for a few this week and see if I can pick up something.

TwoHandJam
02-23-2005, 11:59 PM
The refs were horrid tonight for both sides.

timvp
02-24-2005, 12:01 AM
The refs were fine and are fine 99% of every NBA games. If you have to point to the refs as a reason why your team is losing or winning games, you are a weak fan.

Refs don't lose games.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-24-2005, 12:10 AM
shoogar you're joking right?

------------------------------------------------------
45 posts left until 1000 carre posts

ShoogarBear
02-24-2005, 12:20 AM
shoogar you're joking right?

No, I'm serious. I haven't watched any hockey games this year. I don't really follow the NHL that closely.

So I feel I should try to catch a couple so that I can develop a more intelligent opinion as to the differences in refereeing between the two.

Can you recommend a good matchup this week?

:lol :eyebrows

exstatic
02-24-2005, 12:22 AM
Luis Grillo sucks ass. I hate watching gmaes that he calls, because he seems to think that fans are there to see his sorry ass call fouls and destroy the game.

TwoHandJam
02-24-2005, 12:26 AM
The refs were fine and are fine 99% of every NBA games. If you have to point to the refs as a reason why your team is losing or winning games, you are a weak fan.

Refs don't lose games.Oh please lose that tired mantra. First of all, the point of this thread was not about the refs winning or losing this game but how inconsistent they were and how many calls were missed - on both sides.

And as a side note, refs can most definitely decide the outcome of games, particulary games where the two teams are very evenly matched. The majority of the time the refs are not a factor but to say they never bias the outcome of a game is completely ludicrous.

If two evenly matched teams play their hearts out in a playoff game and the score is tied but one team is the recipient of some missed calls down the stretch due to human error, did they deserve to lose?

Think.

You yourself admit that the refs are fine 99% of the time so you implicitly acknowledge that the 1% when they aren't exists and does affect the outcome of games.

Did you think we deserved to lose our playoff game v Dallas where they took 50 free throws? I remember that stinker well.

T Park
02-24-2005, 02:18 AM
^^^ Agree 100%.

The referees in this league blow.

When Steve Javie is the best ref in the league, and the most consistent, youve got problems.

Clark is OK.

Grillo, Zalinsky, Bavetta are some of the many HORRIBLE referees.

Violet Palmer is quite pathetic in her own right.

FromWayDowntown
02-24-2005, 10:03 AM
I thought last night's crew was terribly inconsistent, allowing some pretty physical play in stretches, only to suddenly blow the whistle on any contact. I don't think the Spurs won last night because of officiating, and I refuse to blame officials for any losses that might crop up. But the inconsistencies drive me crazy, and it seemed to really bother Tim in the first half last night. He and Bill Spooner had a pretty heated exchange as Tim left the floor, pointing vigorous at Ed Malloy (who had T'd Timmy up) and, seemingly, imploring Spooner to take control of the young official. Spooner tried to stare Tim down, but Tim just made his point and walked away. He must have been pissed, because I'm not sure I've seen him that animated in quite some time.

Spurminator
02-24-2005, 10:23 AM
Fouls are an inherant flaw in the game of basketball... not just the NBA. There has always been a gray area in regards to what is a foul and what is not. About the only way you could cut down on the inconsistencies of the officiating is by allowing a LOT more physical play... and that would cause a lot of lower scores.

BigVee
02-24-2005, 10:35 AM
Fouls are an inherant flaw in the game of basketball... not just the NBA. There has always been a gray area in regards to what is a foul and what is not. About the only way you could cut down on the inconsistencies of the officiating is by allowing a LOT more physical play... and that would cause a lot of lower scores.

Yeah, that's called the playoffs.