hmm, perhaps Drew Gooden

K-State Spur
11-29-2008, 11:54 AM
hmm, perhaps Drew Gooden

nein!

exstatic
11-29-2008, 12:02 PM
hmm, perhaps Drew Gooden

Didn't you watch that Chicago game? He's a fucking TURNSTILE on defense. We need a big who can defend and defensive rebound, not some store dummy. We don't need scoring. We have like 6 guys on the roster who can drop 20.

vander
11-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Didn't you watch that Chicago game? He's a fucking TURNSTILE on defense. We need a big who can defend and defensive rebound, not some store dummy. We don't need scoring. We have like 6 guys on the roster who can drop 20.

coming to SA does a lot for one's defensive ability, even Finley became a respectable defender. and only one of our 20 point scorers resides in the post, 4 of them are guards, what happens when a team shuts down our guard play and makes us beat them in the post?

galvatron3000
11-29-2008, 12:43 PM
RASHEED WALLACE is worth the investment, a solid man defender and post help defender. Can hit the 15 footer as well as the 25 footer (Horry) is 6-11. He won't command a big contract but probably more than what the Spurs can or will offer so getting him is a long shot but I don't think he'll be back with the Pistons after this season.

RON ARTEST not sure what the market value is for him but I do know it will be out of the Spurs reach financially. Well, I'm not really sure about that but only a few teams can handle a Ron Artest and I think the Spurs are one of the few.

Marcus Camby (2010) Very ideal big for the Spurs. He can hit the 15 footer shot, defend the paint and rebound like a mad man. Solid addition if acquired but history of injuries is a big risk to take and at his age not a big contract guy. If the Spurs can work some kind of deal out he is worth a look.

I can live with these aged guys on the interior but more importantly I want to see youth on the perimeter. This would be a last run with Tim type of deal that could be beneficial if atleast one of these guys is acquired. Looking at the changes to the roster by 2010 the team will look pretty different with Finley, Vaughn, Bonner, Bowen etc probably being gone.

Imagine

Tim Duncan
Rasheed Wallace
Ron Artest
Manu Ginobili
Tony Parker

Roger Mason
Ian Mahinmi
George Hill
Marcus Camby

K-State Spur
11-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Depending on what we do with the expiring deals, we don't have room to add any free agents of note next year.

galvatron3000
11-29-2008, 04:05 PM
:lmao:lobt:
Depending on what we do with the expiring deals, we don't have room to add any free agents of note next year.

Hey while everyone else is clearing cap for 2010 the Spurs could rip off everyone by finding a way to sign Artest and Wallace over the summer. That would be genius because that lineup would cause havok for the entire league including the beloved LAKERS:lobt2:

lurker23
11-29-2008, 04:34 PM
As far as 2009 goes, it's hard to imagine much roster movement without a trade. They'll likely let Vaughn walk (though I suppose they could resign him for one year to be the 3rd string point guard). The only major change would potentially be at the SF position. By the end of this year, they need to decide whether they view Udoka as a key SF component in the future. If so, they'll likely sign him to a 2-4 year deal. If not, I think they will try to fill the void with a young player, either via the 2009 draft (one of their 2nd rounders), or trying to plug the hole with tweeners like Mason or Gist.

galvatron3000
11-29-2008, 04:40 PM
As far as 2009 goes, it's hard to imagine much roster movement without a trade. They'll likely let Vaughn walk (though I suppose they could resign him for one year to be the 3rd string point guard). The only major change would potentially be at the SF position. By the end of this year, they need to decide whether they view Udoka as a key SF component in the future. If so, they'll likely sign him to a 2-4 year deal. If not, I think they will try to fill the void with a young player, either via the 2009 draft (one of their 2nd rounders), or trying to plug the hole with tweeners like Mason or Gist.

I don't see Udoka sticking around but money will play apart in that. In this I mean who can they sign for such and such price. Artest is making $7 million this season and Wallace is making $13 million, I don't think Wallace will command more than $10 from a team with his history and age coming into play. Neither can just go anywhere so they have to have strong coaches and strong vets established to suuround them and be contenders and I don't see many fits for them. Money will be paramount and how much are the Spurs willing to shed and how much will be available. I think they can make a run at one guy this summer, Finley, Vaughn and Udoka will likely all be off the books after this season freeing up a bit of cash, but Wallace would be at the top of my list of FA they should look at this summer if they can afford him.

exstatic
11-29-2008, 04:46 PM
coming to SA does a lot for one's defensive ability, even Finley became a respectable defender. and only one of our 20 point scorers resides in the post, 4 of them are guards, what happens when a team shuts down our guard play and makes us beat them in the post?

Coming to SA did virtually nothing for Finley's defense, and good luck with shutting down all of TP, Manu, GH3, Mason, and Finley for an entire game. If you double Tim, one of them won't even be covered.

We need a big who can defend, defensive rebound, and hit a 15 foot jumper. That's it.

AFBlue
11-29-2008, 04:48 PM
I can deal with 2009 because it's much less convoluted and complicated...

The reason is that no one of real consequence will be a possibility to leave the team. Udoka and Vaughn are fine veterans, but as for talent they could be replaced by a couple second rounders (Gist, Hairston?).

lurker23
11-29-2008, 05:06 PM
I don't see Udoka sticking around but money will play apart in that. In this I mean who can they sign for such and such price. Artest is making $7 million this season and Wallace is making $13 million, I don't think Wallace will command more than $10 from a team with his history and age coming into play. Neither can just go anywhere so they have to have strong coaches and strong vets established to suuround them and be contenders and I don't see many fits for them. Money will be paramount and how much are the Spurs willing to shed and how much will be available. I think they can make a run at one guy this summer, Finley, Vaughn and Udoka will likely all be off the books after this season freeing up a bit of cash, but Wallace would be at the top of my list of FA they should look at this summer if they can afford him.

Even if Finley doesn't pick up his player option (I think he will), the Spurs still have ~$66 million in salaries for 2009-10. With the cap not likely to exceed $62 million, the only way we can add anyone we don't have rights to is by using our mid-level or bi-annual exception (all of this assumes we don't make any trades). The mid-level exception will likely be between $5.5 and $6.0 million.

angelbelow
11-29-2008, 05:09 PM
udoka is gone, hes just not worth 3+ million and thats going to be the amount hes going to be asking for.

angelbelow
11-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Coming to SA did virtually nothing for Finley's defense, and good luck with shutting down all of TP, Manu, GH3, Mason, and Finley for an entire game. If you double Tim, one of them won't even be covered.

We need a big who can defend, defensive rebound, and hit a 15 foot jumper. That's it.

very, very well put. :toast

galvatron3000
11-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Even if Finley doesn't pick up his player option (I think he will), the Spurs still have ~$66 million in salaries for 2009-10. With the cap not likely to exceed $62 million, the only way we can add anyone we don't have rights to is by using our mid-level or bi-annual exception (all of this assumes we don't make any trades). The mid-level exception will likely be between $5.5 and $6.0 million.

well if they can coerce one Wallace or Artest for a 1 year 5.5 to 6 million deal then afterwards they will have more money the following year and a nice team. If Gist is an assest then Udoka is gone and with all the hoopla about Hairston he could be brought in as well, the only glaring need is a big next to Tim and Wallace and Camby both answer that need perfectly, IMO.

Hopefully that can be worked out

galvatron3000
11-30-2008, 02:04 PM
I believe the backcourt is set for atleast 3 years but the front court needs more than patch work going forward. Discounted Bigs have gotten by because Tim is so good but Tim is entering the decline years and he needs help up front sf and center or power spots. I think Tim needs to move to the 5 and we need to actively look for the 3 and 4 spot now. Tim should be able to hold down the 5 against the majority of 5's in the league.

SenorSpur
11-30-2008, 02:32 PM
I believe the backcourt is set for atleast 3 years but the front court needs more than patch work going forward. Discounted Bigs have gotten by because Tim is so good but Tim is entering the decline years and he needs help up front sf and center or power spots. I think Tim needs to move to the 5 and we need to actively look for the 3 and 4 spot now. Tim should be able to hold down the 5 against the majority of 5's in the league.

I still say the Spurs should've kept Melvin Ely and given him another look. He's a serviceable power forward who seems to be producing as much or more than KT and Oberto, at this point. Plus he's younger.

galvatron3000
11-30-2008, 02:42 PM
I still say the Spurs should've kept Melvin Ely and given him another look. He's a serviceable power forward who seems to be producing as much or more than KT and Oberto, at this point. Plus he's younger.

Spurs want smart Bigs and I believe they feel KT and Oberto are smarter than Ely, now as far as age and ability go I'll let you figure that out. They do however know they made a big mistake sending Scola to Houston. Spurs looking for smart player period so it makes them choose certain guys and look in certtain places

SenorSpur
11-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Spurs want smart Bigs and I believe they feel KT and Oberto are smarter than Ely, now as far as age and ability go I'll let you figure that out. They do however know they made a big mistake sending Scola to Houston. Spurs looking for smart player period so it makes them choose certain guys and look in certtain places

That's the first I've heard of that. Besides, the guy was only here for 1/2 season. Obviously, I would think the coaching staff would know best. However, I just don't know how any coach could've so quickly rushed to judgement about Ely without him having had any significant court time and practice time spent in the Spurs system.

Besides, Ely was young, low-cost option, who had better post-up ability of anyone on the roster, not named Duncan. Having a guy like him would've softened the impact from the atrocious blunder made by the Scola mistake.

A smart player who gets routinely beaten and outskilled by opponents is just as detrimental as having a guy on the team who has a low BBIQ. Having smart players is one thing. Having smart players with ability and skill is totally something else.

exstatic
11-30-2008, 03:50 PM
That's the first I've heard of that. Besides, the guy was only here for 1/2 season. Obviously, I would think the coaching staff would know best. However, I just don't know how any coach could've so quickly rushed to judgement about Ely without him having had any significant court time and practice time spent in the Spurs system.

Besides, Ely was young, low-cost option, who had better post-up ability of anyone on the roster, not named Duncan. Having a guy like him would've softened the impact from the atrocious blunder made by the Scola mistake.

A smart player who gets routinely beaten and outskilled by opponents is just as detrimental as having a guy on the team who has a low BBIQ. Having smart players is one thing. Having smart players with ability and skill is totally something else.

Ely was dumb as a post. The Spurs only got him because the positive trade offset with Eric Williams saved them some money, even though both contracts ended that same summer. I think, with tax implications, they saved between $1.5-2M on that trade.

SenorSpur
11-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Ely was dumb as a post. The Spurs only got him because the positive trade offset with Eric Williams saved them some money, even though both contracts ended that same summer. I think, with tax implications, they saved between $1.5-2M on that trade.

Understood. I saw the guy getting significant court time with the Hornets and wondered how or if he could've helped here.

galvatron3000
11-30-2008, 04:27 PM
with the Spurs having what is known to be a complicated offense to learn they may have made their decision based on that too. I thought he was an asset too though based on what I heard because I know much to nothing about him.

exstatic
11-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Understood. I saw the guy getting significant court time with the Hornets and wondered how or if he could've helped here.

I think that if SA thought he could help, they would have retained him. I don't think he got much from NO, and the Spurs have shown they are not averse to throwing a few million a year at a seviceable big. See: Bonner, Matt; Oberto, Fabricio; Thomas, Kurt.

DesignatedT
11-30-2008, 04:49 PM
i saw that mehmet okur is a unrestricted FA. ive always hated that guy but i think he could be a nice and reasonable pickup to complement timmy.

SenorSpur
11-30-2008, 04:53 PM
i saw that mehmet okur is a unrestricted FA. ive always hated that guy but i think he could be a nice and reasonable pickup to complement timmy.

Do we really need another big that basically hangs out exclusively at the 3-pt line? The Spurs would be better served with a big that can rebound, block shots, defend the paint, and score around the basket and from 10-15 ft out.

exstatic
11-30-2008, 04:54 PM

If we're raping and pillaging the Jizz next summer, I'd rather go after Mo Almond to fill either the Udoka or Vaughn roster spot next summer. He's also unrestricted.

galvatron3000
11-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Do we really need another big that basically hangs out exclusively at the 3-pt line? The Spurs would be better served with a big that can rebound, block shots, defend the paint, and score around the basket and from 10-15 ft out.

Man if we go after another big that's not atheletic or interior oriented. I agree whole-heartedly

galvatron3000
01-19-2009, 09:19 PM

DAF86
01-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Sheeed!

Ditty
01-19-2009, 11:45 PM
jackie butler

rayray2k8
01-20-2009, 01:02 AM
RASHEED WALLACE is worth the investment, a solid man defender and post help defender. Can hit the 15 footer as well as the 25 footer (Horry) is 6-11. He won't command a big contract but probably more than what the Spurs can or will offer so getting him is a long shot but I don't think he'll be back with the Pistons after this season.

RON ARTEST not sure what the market value is for him but I do know it will be out of the Spurs reach financially. Well, I'm not really sure about that but only a few teams can handle a Ron Artest and I think the Spurs are one of the few.

Marcus Camby (2010) Very ideal big for the Spurs. He can hit the 15 footer shot, defend the paint and rebound like a mad man. Solid addition if acquired but history of injuries is a big risk to take and at his age not a big contract guy. If the Spurs can work some kind of deal out he is worth a look.

I can live with these aged guys on the interior but more importantly I want to see youth on the perimeter. This would be a last run with Tim type of deal that could be beneficial if atleast one of these guys is acquired. Looking at the changes to the roster by 2010 the team will look pretty different with Finley, Vaughn, Bonner, Bowen etc probably being gone.

Imagine

Tim Duncan
Rasheed Wallace
Ron Artest
Manu Ginobili
Tony Parker

Roger Mason
Ian Mahinmi
George Hill
Marcus Camby

Is that your fantasy team for this year??
Keep dreaming :lmao

m33p0
01-20-2009, 06:21 AM
get the Sheed!

mountainballer
01-20-2009, 08:00 AM
Who ever we sign next year will only be on a one year contract.

That is if we sign anyone next year.

yes, 2010 plan etc.
sorry, but I don't buy this.
a team like the Spurs, which isn't an attractive FA destination, needs to work anticyclic to the market.
in other words, if they go out in 2010 and compete with half of the league (including most of the big markets teams) for some premium FAs, they will fail big time and risk to buy from the pool of the left average FAs, who will be still overpriced because of the available money.
the Spurs chance is to buy low by either acquiring a player with a contract that runs beyond 2010 at deadline, or by signing a player to the full MLE in 2009. (which of course needs to be for more than 1 year).
2009 might be the chance to land someone like Odom, Sheed, Varejao for the MLE.
(maybe also a restricted FA like Childress - I bet he comes back - or Lee)
assuming that Manu will be resigned (for 9M per?) and also Mason (5M per?), there won't be the money for a max offer left in 2010 (the few max players who are worth the money will be gone anyhow), but maybe still 7-8 millions, (depending what happens with Tiago, Hairston, Gist) enough to try to get a quality player. (Mike Miller?, Haslem?, Outlaw?)

but the IMO best strategy would be to trade for a big with a long term contract at this deadline (Przybilla, Foster, Collison) AND sign 2009 a MLE player. this keeps the 2009 and 2010 window open and gives the Spurs a quality team till 2012.

mrspurs
01-20-2009, 08:13 AM

Tell it like it is............

GSH
01-20-2009, 08:20 AM
It's pretty simple really. Three-step plan:

1. Convince Boozer to sign for the mid-level, and David Lee for the bi-annual.
2. Measure everyone for rings.
3. Tell Tattoo to go look for the plane.

galvatron3000
01-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Is that your fantasy team for this year??
Keep dreaming :lmao

no

jdev82
01-20-2009, 11:33 AM
brandon bass or eddie house.

Big P
01-20-2009, 11:44 AM
It's pretty simple really. Three-step plan:

1. Convince Boozer to sign for the mid-level, and David Lee for the bi-annual.
2. Measure everyone for rings.
3. Tell Tattoo to go look for the plane.

Tatoo is dead.

SanAntonioSpurs23
01-20-2009, 12:41 PM
I was also going to mention Memo, but as someone pointed out we do not need another big to hang around the 3 point line.

What do you guys think about Paul Millsap? (he is restricted though)

AFBlue
01-20-2009, 05:15 PM
I don't think the list of potential Spurs over the next two years should just be confined to free agents. I do think there will be some "bargain" deals for teams looking to start fresh in 2010 by dumping current contracts and going after big fish.

A few of the "trade dumps" I could see are Boris Diaw, Andres Nocioni, and Gerald Wallace...though I'm sure more will become available between now and then.

xtremesteven33
01-20-2009, 05:21 PM
get the Sheed!

"Hey Man"

http://i44.tinypic.com/2a8nedc.jpg

01-20-2009, 05:28 PM
sheed is cool. if anything, acquiring him prevents another team from having a good defender for duncan. i don't really question his work ethic or desire to win because he for sure will work hard under popovich and next to duncan. a chance to legitimately win another championship should fire him up. i also think he will look for a lower contract on a contending team. he's an aging center and this contract will probably be his last. i should also add he probably will also be looking for a chance to challenge the lakers once again. blazers got swept by the lakers twice and the pistons triumphed over the lakers in 04. one last opportunity to even the score.

xtremesteven33
01-20-2009, 05:31 PM
sheed is cool. if anything, acquiring him prevents another team from having a good defender for duncan. i don't really question his work ethic or desire to win because he for sure will work hard under popovich and next to duncan. a chance to legitimately win another championship should fire him up. i also think he will look for a lower contract on a contending team. he's an aging center and this contract will probably be his last.

Hes the most logical fit next to Timmy i can see that has everything Pop wants in a Big.

the only things that work against him are his age and how much money he wants next year.

But like i said before, i expect the Spurs to pursue him this summer.

Sissiborgo
01-20-2009, 05:50 PM
wow:fro

tomtom
01-20-2009, 06:35 PM
hmm not much here if they're still sticking with the 2010 plan but yeah sheed would be a decent pick up

galvatron3000
01-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Boozer?

Are you kidding me, he stays injured and after this surgery may not evven be the same. he had such trouble against the size of the Lakers last season without Bynum what do you think he is going to do here. Yes, I think next to Tim will help but let's allow this guy to heal and see how he performs, then we'll see but ...

Rummpd
01-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Rasheed Wallace = title.

mardigan
01-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Leon Powe off the bench would be nice, real nice.

tomtom
01-20-2009, 11:17 PM
what do you guys think of zaza pachulia? man i still cant forgot last year when they played the celtics and he didnt back down to garnett haha, that was pretty sweet

Ditty
01-20-2009, 11:42 PM
ok lets get thrrew the season and when we have nothing to do lets talk about this

manufor3
01-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Tim Duncan
Rasheed Wallace
Ron Artest
Manu Ginobili
Tony Parker

Roger Mason
Ian Mahinmi
George Hill
Marcus Camby

yeah right

m33p0
01-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Hes the most logical fit next to Timmy i can see that has everything Pop wants in a Big.

the only things that work against him are his age and how much money he wants next year.

But like i said before, i expect the Spurs to pursue him this summer.
it's actually perfect if you factor in splitter who could be joining the spurs in 2 years' time. i hope $5m+chance at a championship are enough to entice him to come over.

galvatron3000
01-21-2009, 09:48 AM
yeah right

Ok, what do you mean because you don't honestly think I was saying...

Anyway, this was an ideal lineup with the guys who will be available in 2009 and a sample of what could be if guys take pay cuts or if just one of them decides to come, I just placed a possibility on the net and this was awhile back now so , YEAH RIGHT

Manufan909
01-21-2009, 04:13 PM
A lineup of

Tony/Hill
Mason/Manu
Bowen/Hairston/Gist
Tim/Bonner
Sheed/Ian/KT
(I know Fin getting more DNPs than games played is a pipe dream, but damn it'd be nice)

would be ideal. If not Sheed, Camby, Boozer, or Bass would be nice. I didn't look at the list, but that's what I took from the posts.

wisnub
01-21-2009, 07:00 PM
I think we should focus on 2009 rather than 2010 because majority of teams will clearing cap for Lebroon and the gangs sweepstakes. Cleveland,Miami,Toronto will do nothing on 09 since they will make room for 2010, this will create opportunity to get someone good provided money is there. We need another tower or offensive threat (who also can play D) near Duncan. I think we should take a look at :
- Ilgauskas, this 7 footer guy is averaging 13.8 points and 7.1 rebounds. I dont think Cavs will match him because they need space cap for Lebron to prevent them going anywhere. Provided his age he will probably asking for mid level at the worst case. Spurs got an unbelievable great chance at him since his name is hard to pronounce and come from overseas...
- Carlos Boozer, I know he is undersized PF but he averaged 20.5 points and 11.7 rebounds in respectable powered Jazz team. If he loves championship more than money (he already make lots of em anyway) maybe miracle will happen and he went SA. Longshot but at least Spurs got to try it..
- Jermain O Neal, despite his injury prone he still averaged 13.5 points and put a decent number of rebound. He willl take pressure off Duncan. Fact is he doesnt really mix with Bosh and Raptors definitely choose Bosh over him..they will not likely to match O Neal offer, but he made lots of money this year, dunno if Spurs got enough to put on the table.
- Rasheed, lots of you already talk about this guy so I will say nothing about him.
- Artest, if anyone can handle this madman..that will be Popovich.

What do you guys think? Agree right??

Austin_Toros
01-22-2009, 07:04 PM
I think we should focus on 2009 rather than 2010 because majority of teams will clearing cap for Lebroon and the gangs sweepstakes. Cleveland,Miami,Toronto will do nothing on 09 since they will make room for 2010, this will create opportunity to get someone good provided money is there. We need another tower or offensive threat (who also can play D) near Duncan. I think we should take a look at :
- Carlos Boozer, I know he is undersized PF but he averaged 20.5 points and 11.7 rebounds in respectable powered Jazz team. If he loves championship more than money (he already make lots of em anyway) maybe miracle will happen and he went SA. Longshot but at least Spurs got to try it..
- Jermain O Neal, despite his injury prone he still averaged 13.5 points and put a decent number of rebound. He willl take pressure off Duncan. Fact is he doesnt really mix with Bosh and Raptors definitely choose Bosh over him..they will not likely to match O Neal offer, but he made lots of money this year, dunno if Spurs got enough to put on the table.
- Rasheed, lots of you already talk about this guy so I will say nothing about him.

Boozer will go straight for the money. He's already said that he wants a huge contract.
I'm not sure if Jermaine will be possible to get. I'm sure there will be a fair lot of interest in him.
I think Rasheed has also said he wants a decent contract aswell. Similar to boozer

Death In June
01-30-2009, 01:49 PM
When people mention the 2010 plan, is that something the spurs have explicitly stated they were doing? Do you think it's unreasonable to believe Artest or Sheed in 09, and Dirk in 2010. I can see Bowen, Finely, and Kurt retiring by next year, freeing up a little more money earlier than expected.

intlspurshk
01-31-2009, 11:09 AM
For 2010, I don't think SPURS can get Bosh. The best that SPURS can hope is Chandler+Sefolosha/Dorell Wright or Darko + Brewer or Amir Johnson + SG and let Manu sign with other team, considering that the key objective is to get younger players with at least 4 years of NBA experience already.

Agloco
01-31-2009, 05:22 PM
If it came down to a choice between Sheed or Camby, I'd have to go with Camby despite his predisposition to injury. Sheed's just too unstable upstairs and he's just as apt to be the biggest blunder the Spurs ever made as he is to be the best move they ever made.