PDA

View Full Version : So am I a prude?

I. Hustle
11-29-2008, 12:15 PM
I was at Target yesterday and ran into my cousin and she was out trying to buy a System of a Down cd for her son. The kid is like 7 or 8! I mean wtf?! I thought that was crazy. Am I overreacting or do you think like me and that kind of music is too much for a kid that age?

BacktoBasics
11-29-2008, 12:25 PM
I probably wouldn't get something like that for my kid but then again I don't censor any of the kids.

I think the upcoming generations are desensitized far more than we were.

BlackSwordsMan
11-29-2008, 12:27 PM
SOAD sucks let her buy it and have her child hate music the rest of his life

ashbeeigh
11-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Does it have a parental advisory sticker on it? If yes, then no. If no, then yes.

BacktoBasics
11-29-2008, 01:00 PM
lmao at ash following the rules of the sticker

MrChug
11-29-2008, 02:52 PM

HAHAHA...exactly! I mean you could buy Clapton's "Crossroads", Metallica's "Ride the Lightning", or Green Day's "Dookie" and have your kid listen to songs about cocaine, suicide or war, and masturbation, respectively.

What all 3 album covers have in common? NO FUCKIN PARENTAL ADVISORY STICKER! :lmao

marini martini
11-29-2008, 03:20 PM

Or lose whatever remaining friend he might have!!!:lmao

ashbeeigh
11-29-2008, 03:40 PM

I haven't looked/purchased a CD in ages. I'm glad I made you laugh though.

Dex
11-29-2008, 07:11 PM
HAHAHA...exactly! I mean you could buy Clapton's "Crossroads", Metallica's "Ride the Lightning", or Green Day's "Dookie" and have your kid listen to songs about cocaine, suicide or war, and masturbation, respectively.

What all 3 album covers have in common? NO FUCKIN PARENTAL ADVISORY STICKER! :lmao

Not to mention they could just turn on the nearest television, radio, computer, or video game and probably find something equally as graphic, if not more so.

Even daytime radio will talk about some amazingly offensive things. I'm not one to really care much, but I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who do.

MrChug
11-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Not to mention they could just turn on the nearest television, radio, computer, or video game and probably find something equally as graphic, if not more so.

Even daytime radio will talk about some amazingly offensive things. I'm not one to really care much, but I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who do.

The PARENTAL ADVISORY sticker is about as effective as the button you click to certify your 18 to get into adult sites (not that I would know anything about that).

cornbread
11-29-2008, 08:11 PM
You are overreacting and it could be worse. The kid could be listening to Jonas Brothers or Hanna Montana. It sounds like he has decent taste for somebody his age.

balli
11-29-2008, 08:42 PM

I think the bigger risk is that he ends up loving shitty music for the rest of his life?

Here's what I'd do Hustle (assuming he doesn't like rap)- buy the kid a bunch of really good, adolescent, rock albums. Get him some Zeppelin, Hendrix, maybe even like some Pearl Jam, or like Sublime, Bob Marley even. Whatever, but y'know, time-tested and genuinely good music. And then make him watch Almost Famous. And then when you give him the albums explain to him just how much System of a Down and bands of that ilk suck, and why. If his parents are trying to give him the shit they are, you're really the only one who is capable of saving this kid's musical future.

MannyIsGod
11-29-2008, 09:28 PM
SOAD is hate music?

Slydragon
11-29-2008, 09:45 PM
I was at Target yesterday and ran into my cousin and she was out trying to buy a System of a Down cd for her son. The kid is like 7 or 8! I mean wtf?! I thought that was crazy. Am I overreacting or do you think like me and that kind of music is too much for a kid that age?

I would be piss too, that's so stupid. I mean buy a cd when you could just download it. WTF is she thinking.

ploto
11-29-2008, 09:58 PM

Contrary to popular opinion is it possible to have a child who is 7 or 8 and keep them from most of this- if you yourself make the choice as the parent not to have it in your house. Don't watch those kind of shows; don't buy those kind of computer or video games; don't listen to those shows.

Kamala
11-29-2008, 10:11 PM
I grew up listening to Barry Mannilow and look how I turned out!

Udokafan05
11-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Country is the only music. Make the kid listen to George Strait or Keith Whitley.

Slydragon
11-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Country is the only music. Make the kid listen to George Strait or Keith Whitley.

:vomit:

MannyIsGod
11-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Seriously though - whats to be afraid of from SOAD other than some profanity?

Dr. Gonzo
11-30-2008, 12:40 AM
I'd rather have my kid listen to SOAD than some of the rap bullshit that's out now.

balli
11-30-2008, 12:47 AM
Seriously though

?

The way I see it this kid's entire future is at stake.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/119/303051571_4f0315349d.jpg
vs.
http://trickledown.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/emo-kid.jpg

MannyIsGod
11-30-2008, 12:52 AM
Um, ok?

Duff McCartney
11-30-2008, 01:03 AM
Almost Famous? That movie is fucking garbage. Cameron Crowes movies are pretty fucking horrible. He makes crappy movies and sticks a bunch of late 60s/70s hits on their soundtrack and throughout, and people think the movie is great shit.

The only movie he directed that was worth a damn was Say Anything.

balli
11-30-2008, 02:13 AM
Almost Famous? That movie is fucking garbage. Cameron Crowes movies are pretty fucking horrible. He makes crappy movies and sticks a bunch of late 60s/70s hits on their soundtrack and throughout, and people think the movie is great shit.

The only movie he directed that was worth a damn was Say Anything.

The only Crowe movies I've seen are Almost Famous and Fast Times, but both of those were damn good IMO. And if they feature classic rock soundtracks it might be because they took place, y'know, when that music was being made. And in the case of Almost Famous- would you have preferred they had a classical, jazz, hip hop or no soundtrack for the movie about a gaddamn rock band. In any event Almost Famous was well written, superbly acted and is held in high critical regard. I'd be interested in hearing the reasons you consider it to be garbage.

The Knack
11-30-2008, 02:54 AM
buy a cd when you could just download it. WTF is she thinking.

Best reply so far! :tu

jack sommerset
11-30-2008, 01:23 PM
No ur are not a prude. 7 year olds should be listening to songs they can relate to. SOAD is not for 7 year olds. Sad ur cousin actually is buying that for a 7 year old kid.

phxspurfan
12-01-2008, 01:22 AM
I liked 2Pac when I was 7 and I turned out ok...at least that's what my P.O. tells me.

JudynTX
12-01-2008, 09:14 AM

If he doesn't listen to it at home, he does at school, iPODS remember? :lol No win situation right here.

ComfortablyNumb
12-01-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm glad I don't have any kids and have to worry about such petty stuff as to what my kid listens to.

Blake
12-01-2008, 10:16 AM
What I do have a huge problem with is parents buying video games for their kids without really looking at the game.....

I'd make a small wager that this kid with the Syndrome of the Down CD also has the complete line of Grand Theft Auto for his PSIII

I. Hustle
12-01-2008, 12:30 PM
I forgot about this