PDA

View Full Version : TP numbers evolution

Brazil
11-29-2008, 05:31 PM
I have some questions for you guys regarding the evolution of the TP numbers during this season.

With this team and the contributions of Hill / Mase and hopefully Ian, I can imagine for TP less ppg maybe below 18 and more apg maybe above 8-9 during at least the regular season.

Except if I'm wrong Pop asks TP to shoot 20 times per game,if the new guns keeps on performing the scoring pressure should decrease for TP and Pop will maybe ask TP to adapt his game a litle bit.

Am I wrong ? How do you see the TP season numbers considering this fresh blood ?
And for TD and Manu, do you think that this new team will impact their numbers too ?

boutons_
11-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Scoring outside of the Tim/Tony/Manu is always welcome, since T/T/M scoring has often been insufficient, esp if one of them is hurting or absent, esp in the playoffs.

The new or young guys can only be brought along with playing time, if that's what Pop wants to do, without sacrificing games.

Brazil
11-30-2008, 07:04 AM
Even if the game of yesterday was awful for everybody, I'm quite happy to see 8 assists for Tony with limited minutes, I think he is going to improve a lot his assists.

mrspurs
11-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Thats his only weakness is his assists. And he has plenty of time to work on it. Or maybe he just isnt made out to be a assist type point guard. Either way he is the Spurs best player right now. I used to give that to Bruce. But since last season Bruce has slowly become slower and slower. And having Ime playing behind him doesnt make Bruce look bad or good. And you can blame that on Roger and Hill. With them scoring points it takes away from Bruce and Ime chunking up 3s. So basically they're just there taking up minutes like Fab and Kurt. At least poor ole Matt is scoring points. The other SFs cant even defend well it seems. But its still early.

sonic21
11-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Mason is a very good shooter, finley and bonner are making their shoots this year

:tu Tony will have more assists.

m33p0
11-30-2008, 10:15 AM
it's difficult to get assists if the guy you're passing to can't make a shot to save his life. mason will help correct that. :tu

Brazil
11-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Mason is a very good shooter, finley and bonner are making their shoots this year

:tu Tony will have more assists.

I agree but will he stick with the 20 ppg ?

Brazil
12-07-2008, 07:45 AM
I have some questions for you guys regarding the evolution of the TP numbers during this season.

With this team and the contributions of Hill / Mase and hopefully Ian, I can imagine for TP less ppg maybe below 18 and more apg maybe above 8-9 during at least the regular season.

Except if I'm wrong Pop asks TP to shoot 20 times per game,if the new guns keeps on performing the scoring pressure should decrease for TP and Pop will maybe ask TP to adapt his game a litle bit.

Am I wrong ? How do you see the TP season numbers considering this fresh blood ?
And for TD and Manu, do you think that this new team will impact their numbers too ?

For the moment it seems that it will happen this way : TP/Manu with limited minutes with 8 and 7 assists and below 20 ppg. Apparently TD will stay with his regular numbers.

SpurSupremacist
12-07-2008, 08:01 AM
I'm not sure he has the passing ability to average 8 assists. Most of his assists come off of pure speed/penetration and a kickout -- which is the easiest pass you can make, basically. He doesn't really have much natural court vision. He's always going to be a score-first guard. Great passers are just born that way, they have a 'feel' for passing. It's not something you can teach someone. I don't see Tony having that 'feel'... and I've watched him pretty extensively.

Brazil
12-07-2008, 08:08 AM
I'm not sure he has the passing ability to average 8 assists. Most of his assists come off of pure speed/penetration and a kickout -- which is the easiest pass you can make, basically. He doesn't really have much natural court vision. He's always going to be a score-first guard. Great passers are just born that way, they have a 'feel' for passing. It's not something you can teach someone. I don't see Tony having that 'feel'... and I've watched him pretty extensively.

This is why this season will be interesting for this aspect, you will figure out I guess. I agree I don't think that TP have the CP3 "feel" for making 11-12 apg on a regular basis, but he worths more than 5-6.

JPB
12-07-2008, 08:17 AM
TP may have more assists this year thanks to the arrival of new scoring but as long as spurs play spurs BB, he'll never have what people would want him to have.

K-State Spur
12-07-2008, 12:22 PM
This is why this season will be interesting for this aspect, you will figure out I guess. I agree I don't think that TP have the CP3 "feel" for making 11-12 apg on a regular basis, but he worths more than 5-6.

Tony would be up around 10/game if he had CP's scorekeeper.

Paul's a better passer - no doubt, but he gets 3-4 gift assists per game. Without the same reputation - Tony has to earn all of his.

kace
12-07-2008, 01:09 PM

Paul's a better passer - no doubt, but he gets 3-4 gift assists per game. Without the same reputation - Tony has to earn all of his.

i've heard that many times and it's so true.when i saw games with CP3, it was obvious that he had many assists which didn't exist.

so my question is who is the scorekeeper in NBA ?
a NBA employee or someone from the home team ?

SpurSupremacist
12-08-2008, 08:29 AM

How does he get those same assist numbers on the road then?

stéphane
12-08-2008, 08:58 AM
How does he get those same assist numbers on the road then?

Before posting just check your infos lol.

SPLIT G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF REB APG

Home Games 9 9 38.2 .551 .235 .889 1.1 4.4 5.6 13.1 3.0 0.1 23.1

Road Games 8 8 36.8 .495 .500 .846 0.5 5.1 5.6 10.3 2.6 0.2 17.8

so yeah 33%+ is nothing I guess :rolleyes

Brazil
12-08-2008, 09:14 AM
33% is not nothing but 10,3 is an awesome number anyway. The point of SpurSupremacist is still valid.

Rogue
12-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Exactly, TP is now more of a scorer than a play-maker. Manu always take the passing job and even TD makes some good passes sometimes, so we don't need TP to take too much resposibility for passing. It's very enough for Parker just to let our opponents pay if they double Duncan.

However, our team should be a little bit better if we had Billups instead of TP as starting pG. Billups is much slower than TP so that he is more fit for us, say, TP is too quick for us. TP just don't understand the fact that our rosters are the oldest around the league, speed is not the key for our wins.

Brazil
12-08-2008, 11:10 AM
TP is too quick for us.

:lmao I see what you mean but man it's weird to write TP is too quick for us.
Anyway never CB would be a better fit than TP for the spurs oh and TP>CB

SpursIndonesia
12-08-2008, 11:55 AM
LOL, Terry Porter is closer to Chauncey than Tony, where did he get us with his "slowness" while having deadly outside shot ? Remember, Speed kills, somebody said that before 2003 post season, i remember that mantra, it gave us 3 rings up to this point -and one final MVP title for TP personally.

Regarding Tony's assist and scoring number, i think 17-19 PPG @52-54% from the field with around 7+ APG on nightly basis would be a great achievement for him this year.