PDA

View Full Version : Texas jumps ahead of OU in AP Polls!

stretch
11-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Which probably means they will also stay ahead in BCS rankings as well, considering many factors (Texas' MUCH tougher strength of schedule, beating OU head-to-head, their faceraping of A&M, etc...)

I can't wait to see what BCS rankings will be... very nervewracking :wow

monosylab1k
11-30-2008, 03:18 PM
When it's all over, Oklahoma will be ahead of Texas.

And :lmao @ Florida being #2. they lost to a far inferior opponent than anybody in the top 7.

J.T.
11-30-2008, 03:19 PM
AP poll doesn't mean shit in the BCS rankings. OU would've been 2 in the BCS last week if BCS used the AP poll in its formula.

And F the Sooners, they're playing worse than NE did last year because NE actually played D while they ran up the scoreboard. The Sooners play one good D that can give Bradford fits (like, I don't know, maybe the Texas Longhorns?) and they can't even put 40 on the scoreboard.

stretch
11-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Oklahoma still gets another shot to curbstomp a top 25 team when they play Missouri.

depends on BCS rankings as to who plays missouri

monosylab1k
11-30-2008, 03:22 PM
seriously, fuck the love affair with the SEC. it's such bullcrap.

stretch
11-30-2008, 03:23 PM
AP poll doesn't mean shit in the BCS rankings. OU would've been 2 in the BCS last week if BCS used the AP poll in its formula.

And F the Sooners, they're playing worse than NE did last year because NE actually played D. The Sooners play one good D that can give Bradford fits (like, I don't know, maybe the Texas Longhorns?) and they can't even put 40 on the scoreboard.

I agree it doesnt mean anything, but fact is, OU only jumped Texas because of the aura of that win they got against TT. but when it gets down to the computer system, considering all factors, I'd put my money on UT being ahead of OU in BCS. Hopefully I'm right... its going to be a crazy afternoon.

Texas Chili Dog
11-30-2008, 04:16 PM
sorry, but OU is about to jump UT in the BCS. Texas gained ground in the coaches poll, and they also now hold a 6 point lead in the Harris poll. But unfortunately for Texas, they really needed at least a 20 point lead to hold off the changes that are going to come in the computer polls.

J.T.
11-30-2008, 04:17 PM
UT leads OU by 6 in the Harris poll (28 point swing from last week) and trails OU by one in the coaches' poll (41 point swing from last week). Now they just need to remain ahead in the computers...

Texas Chili Dog
11-30-2008, 04:19 PM
UT leads OU by 6 in the Harris poll (28 point swing from last week) and trails OU by one in the coaches' poll (41 point swing from last week). Now they just need to remain ahead in the computers...

very doubtful, as much as I would love that.

bostonguy
11-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Fox just indirectly said OU jumped Texas. The words "major shakeup in the big 12 south" easily gave that answer away. Such bullshit that 45-35 wasnt taken into consideration.

bostonguy
11-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Seriously OU has the same record as Texas and also LOST to them and yet they get rewarded a higher bcs standing? :lmao:lmao You just cant sugercoat this one. It's pure bullshit. There isnt a legit reason to put OU over Texas. Who gives a fuck about them beating Tech. They are battling Texas for the BCS and they didnt beat them and they share the same fucking record.

Texas Chili Dog
11-30-2008, 04:34 PM
it's official, OU jumped to #2...bullshit.

txallstar
11-30-2008, 04:36 PM
bullshit. ut beat ou. done end of story. i hope stoops lays an egg for the 3rd straight yr

Texas Chili Dog
11-30-2008, 04:36 PM
well go Mizzou I guess. Missouri needs to beat OU for UT to have a chance. fuck that.

J.T.
11-30-2008, 04:38 PM
If there is a God, let us all pray that he is a Missouri fan. Or let us pray that the Sooners can't win in snow and wind, since that's what they'll be up against in KC.

Dr. Gonzo
11-30-2008, 04:39 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8872328/BCS-gives-Oklahoma-nod-over-Texas,-Texas-Tech

The BCS has spoken and the tie has been broken

By virtue of its second-place showing in this week's standings, Oklahoma has emerged from a three-way tie atop the Big 12 South and will play Missouri in the Big 12 championship game.
Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Texas had finished the regular season with identical 7-1 conference records. And since each had lost once to one of its fellow division leaders, BCS standings became the ultimate tiebreaker.
The Sooners' 61-41 dismantling of Oklahoma State Saturday impressed the computers enough to allow them to move up one spot, just ahead of the Longhorns.
That probably doesn't sit too well in Austin, especially since the Longhorns beat the Sooners earlier this season at a neutral site, 45-35.
But since then, Oklahoma has been steadily gaining in the polls (both human and computer). They've won six straight, scoring no fewer than 45 points during that run and topping the 60-point plateau in each of the last four games.
As a result, the Sooners now appear to control their own fate, needing only a win over the Tigers to advance to the BCS title game against the winner of the SEC title game between No. 1 Alabama and No. 4 Florida.
While Texas is being penalized for making the mistake of losing their one game later in the season than the Sooners, the Longhorns are still in a position to make it to the BCS title game; Texas currently sits at No. 3 and could conceivably move up into one of the top two spots should Missouri spring the upset of Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game.
In another BCS oddity, there are currently four teams from outside the six BCS conferences currently residing in the top 12 in the standings -- Utah (No. 6), Boise State (No. 9), TCU (No. 11) and Ball State (No. 12). According to the BCS rules, only one non-BCS team is guaranteed a berth by virtue of finishing that high in the standings, which means Boise State, TCU and Ball State are likely going to be on the losing end of a fight with Ohio State for an at-large selection.

Dr. Gonzo
11-30-2008, 04:40 PM
haha

mookie2001
this is worse than the patriot act II

J.T.
I'm seriously expecting to wake up on a Monday morning in late January and see the headline "Colts beat Jets in AFC Championship but New York goes to Super Bowl"

Dr. Gonzo
11-30-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm seriously expecting to wake up on a Monday morning in late January and see the headline "Colts beat Jets in AFC Championship but New York goes to Super Bowl"

That is an inaccurate metaphor. It's like saying that the Cowboys were the real Super Bowl champs last year because they beat the Giants earlier in the season.

ShoogarBear
11-30-2008, 05:13 PM

And :lmao @ Florida being #2. they lost to a far inferior opponent than anybody in the top 7.

OU ahead of UT is bullshit.

But the Florida thing doesn't matter. Either they or Alabama would be in the BCS championship even if Florida was #4 or #5.

tonylongoriafan
11-30-2008, 05:24 PM
i still can't believe texas lost to those cocksucking red raiders...FUCK!

Obstructed_View
11-30-2008, 05:26 PM
When it comes down to it, that kid should have made the interception when it was in his hands.

BTW, if OU loses the title game, does UT jump back over them and go to the championship game like Nebraska did? In fact, didn't OU do the same thing as well one year?

ShoogarBear
11-30-2008, 05:28 PM
If OU loses to Mizzou, then it becomes either UT or USC going to the BCS championship. That will be a fun discussion around here.

Texas Chili Dog
11-30-2008, 05:30 PM
When it comes down to it, that kid should have made the interception when it was in his hands.

BTW, if OU loses the title game, does UT jump back over them and go to the championship game like Nebraska did? In fact, didn't OU do the same thing as well one year?

Not exactly the same, but in 2003 OU was 12-0 and lost to Kansas St. in the Big 12 title game, yet still went to the BCS title game. And then lost to LSU.

Obstructed_View
11-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Ah, thanks. Every time they close one loophole, two more open up.

ShoogarBear
11-30-2008, 05:58 PM
I've been saying since this thing started that it should be a rule that you have to win your conference to go to the championship game. In the absence of a true playoff, winning your conference should be mandatory.

Obstructed_View
11-30-2008, 06:12 PM
I've been saying since this thing started that it should be a rule that you have to win your conference to go to the championship game. In the absence of a true playoff, winning your conference should be mandatory.

Every conference should be required to have a championship game if that's the case. If you're telling teams that all they can do is win the games that are on their schedule and hope for the best, some teams shouldn't be penalized for doing so by getting an extra game that doesnt' do anything but potentially penalize them.

K-State Spur
11-30-2008, 06:35 PM
since there was a 3 way tie - you just CANNOT take into account the head-to-head over texas.

if tech/OU had been a close game, you'd have three 11-1/7-1 teams that had all beaten each other with an equal argument to the south title.

but everybody seems to want to dismiss Tech because of OU's romp, then make it a 2-way tie with Texas getting in on head-to-head. but if you do that, then you are actually PUNISHING oklahoma for destroying tech, giving them a better chance if they had just barely won that game.

45-35 definitely comes into play, but it shouldn't be any more valuable than 39-33 or 65-21.

CubanMustGo
11-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Head-to-head (esp. at a neutral site) is the ultimate tiebreaker. Relative results suck donkey dick in comparison.

K-State Spur
11-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Head-to-head (esp. at a neutral site) is the ultimate tiebreaker. Relative results suck donkey dick in comparison.

but that doesn't break the 3 way tie.

dawn
11-30-2008, 07:31 PM
I could very well be wrong with this, but was Tech EVER a #1 team? Wern't they the #2 team when OU beat them?

If that is the case, then that is another issue that pisses me off. Texas beat OU, when they were a #1...Tech beat Texas when they were #1...did OU beat a #1 Tech or #2? Just curious....

This is why I hate the stupid BCS stuff and no matter how hard people try to explain it to me, it gets more and more crazy...:bking

bostonguy
11-30-2008, 08:34 PM
If OU loses to Mizzou, then it becomes either UT or USC going to the BCS championship. That will be a fun discussion around here.

I cant see USC getting in over Texas. Texas played a much tougher schedule and lost to a top 10 ranked school in Tech. USC played a much easier schedule and lost to an unranked (at the time) Oregon State team. Isnt strength of schedule part of the BCS? I mean Boise State and Utah would be #2/#3 if it wasnt. Putting USC over Texas would go against that.

IronMexican
11-30-2008, 08:58 PM
USC wont jump UT. UCLA isn't strong enough for that to happen. If OU loses, UT will get that spot.

samikeyp
12-01-2008, 12:01 AM

+1