11-30-2008, 03:33 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/ahearn_assigned_to_austin_081130.html

Steve-O-Matic
11-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Pretty obvious move.

timvp
11-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Interesting.

The Toros look like they need a point guard and Ahearn is good enough to be the best point guard in the D-League. It appeared as if Ahearn was a short-term solution until Parker came back healthy but the Spurs must have liked what they saw in practice. I'm guessing the original plan was to waive him at this point but I guess they want a longer look.

It's also interesting that the Spurs have seemingly picked Ahearn over Hairston for now.

duncan228
11-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Jeff McDonald: Ahearn heads north (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/11/jeff_mcdonald_a_17.html)

The Spurs assigned point guard Blake Ahearn to their D-League affiliate in Austin today, mostly because — with Tony Parker back off the injured list — it made little sense to keep him in San Antonio.

Ahearn has been inactive since Manu Ginobili came back Monday in Memphis. Jacque Vaughn joined him Friday, when Parker made his triumphant return.

Two point guards wearing sport coats seems a little excessive.

So Ahearn, last season's rookie of the year in the D-League with Dakota, will relocate an hour or so up I-35, where he can get some much-needed playing time. His rights remain with the Spurs.

Ahearn appeared in three games after the Spurs signed him Nov. 16. For now, whipping Ginobili in a game of H-O-R-S-E remains his greatest NBA accomplishment.

Obstructed_View
11-30-2008, 04:03 PM
They have to keep Ahearn on the Spurs roster in order to keep him in Austin, right? That means there's not going to be any spots coming open unless they waive Tolliver.

AFBlue
11-30-2008, 04:04 PM
It's also interesting that the Spurs have seemingly picked Ahearn over Hairston for now.

And now they get a chance to see what both can do in the same system against the same competition...not a bad idea at all.

ChumpDumper
11-30-2008, 04:06 PM
They have to keep Ahearn on the Spurs roster in order to keep him in Austin, right?Correct. The Toros are going to be a really tough team with Ahearn. Too bad his first game will probably have the worst attendance of the season.

SenorSpur
11-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Doesn't this mean that Ahearn still occupies a roster spot? I thought they would've waived Ahearn to make room for Hairston. There probably more of a need for his skills right now.

ChumpDumper
11-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Doesn't this mean that Ahearn still occupies a roster spot? I thought they would've waived Ahearn to make room for Hairston. There probably more of a need for his skills right now.
Ahearn is still a Spur.

Darkwaters
11-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Personally I see this as a potential condemnation of Jacque Vaughn. Frankly, I doubt Jacque gets resigned this upcoming year. With TP, Hill and Mason all ahead of him hes hardly a vital cog. And hes not a youthful kind of guy that you're developing to take over down the road. Plus his skill-set is redundant and his offense putrid.

Ahearn, on the other hand, is younger and even comes at half the price of a guy like Vaughn. Most importantly, he has the ability to get better and could stick on this roster as a 3rd PG for several years. And Ahearn's scoring prowess could prove to be a dought-busting ability down the line. Ahearn's hope is to fill the role that Jannero Pargo played for the Bulls and early on for the Hornets (before Bobby Jackson played himself out of the backup PG spot): a guy that comes in and ignites a stagnant offense.

So if the Spurs really think that Ahearn is their guy at the 3rd/4th string PG spot (hardly a critical roster slot) then he makes plenty of sense. But I doubt keeping Ahearn means Tolliver could be on the chopping block. If not Ahearn, Vaughn is the likely one to get the axe.

xcoriate
11-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Personally I see this as a potential condemnation of Jacque Vaughn. Frankly, I doubt Jacque gets resigned this upcoming year. With TP, Hill and Mason all ahead of him hes hardly a vital cog. And hes not a youthful kind of guy that you're developing to take over down the road. Plus his skill-set is redundant and his offense putrid.

Ahearn, on the other hand, is younger and even comes at half the price of a guy like Vaughn. Most importantly, he has the ability to get better and could stick on this roster as a 3rd PG for several years. And Ahearn's scoring prowess could prove to be a dought-busting ability down the line. Ahearn's hope is to fill the role that Jannero Pargo played for the Bulls and early on for the Hornets (before Bobby Jackson played himself out of the backup PG spot): a guy that comes in and ignites a stagnant offense.

So if the Spurs really think that Ahearn is their guy at the 3rd/4th string PG spot (hardly a critical roster slot) then he makes plenty of sense. But I doubt keeping Ahearn means Tolliver could be on the chopping block. If not Ahearn, Vaughn is the likely one to get the axe.

Good take, while Ahearn can make sense as a 3rd stringer I don't think he can ever be anymore. In the limited minutes I've seen this far I don't think I've ever seen the spurs with a worse defender... he is thoroughly over matched on that end.

I guess you just hope no one snaps up Hairston in the mean time.

galvatron3000
11-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Spurs might need to pry that kid over on the Mavs bench that was killing the Lakers getting to the rim, over and over

exstatic
11-30-2008, 05:01 PM

We don't really need wings or PGs for now. If there were a promising NBA-close or NBA-ready big, Blake might be waived, but not for a 6'6" wing, something we have falling out of our asses right now. Ahearn could easily replace Vaughn next year if he sticks all season.

SenorSpur
11-30-2008, 05:03 PM
I understand why the Spurs are intrigued with Ahearn's shooting ability, but it appears that he's a liability defensively. Besides, the Spurs already have 3 pgs for this season. I'm puzzled as to why they're still using a roster spot on a 4th PG, instead of 3 (Hairston) or another backup frontline player.

Bruno
11-30-2008, 05:07 PM
It likely means a combination of Spurs' liking Ahearn and Spurs not finding a perimeter player in the D-League worth being signed after only 1 or 2 games.

If Spurs decides to keep Ahearn for the season, I think Spurs should open a roster spot to try some D-League SFs. The most obvious way to do it is to trade Vaughn somewhere for nothing. Vaughn is the 5th option at PG behind Parker, Hill, mason and Ginobili and I'm quite sure some teams like Orlando or Nets could welcome him as 3rd string PG. If no team wants him, you can always waive him but it will be more costly.

Obstructed_View
11-30-2008, 05:14 PM

If they waive Ahearn, he goes back to the Dleague team he started with, the Energy I think. I much prefer Bruno's solution of getting rid of Vaughn to free up a spot to lock someone else up.

exstatic
11-30-2008, 05:22 PM
I understand why the Spurs are intrigued with Ahearn's shooting ability, but it appears that he's a liability defensively.
Noted.

Besides, the Spurs already have 3 pgs for this season. I'm puzzled as to why they're still using a roster spot on a 4th PG, instead of 3 (Hairston)
Bruce 6'7"
Fin 6'7"
Manu 6'6"
Udoka 6'5"
RMJ 6'5"
We need a 6th wing WAY less than we need PG help in Austin that has next year possiblities.

or another backup frontline player.
If the Spurs thought there was one available, he'd be in SA, quicktime, therefor, there are none.

SenorSpur
11-30-2008, 05:35 PM
I keep hearing a lot about Courtney Sims. What about him?

Spurs Brazil
11-30-2008, 05:53 PM
I thought he'd be gone as soon TP was back but it looks like the Spurs liked him

dbestpro
11-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Here's a different take. This could be about Ian. Right now there is no suitable point guard on the team. Two ball hogs named Marcus and Malik who are not needed now and will not be needed in the near future do not undertand that the only pressing issue is to get Ian back into game shape and to get him the ball. Ahearn may be sent down with orders to run the pick and roll or pick and pop until Ian is back in SA.

ChumpDumper
11-30-2008, 06:11 PM
I keep hearing a lot about Courtney Sims. What about him?He had a ridiculous triple double on opening night and a very solid game last night as well. Quite an improvement over last year's stats. We'll see if he keeps it up. I'm sure a lot of teams are looking. I think he was in the Pacers' camp this year or last.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/career.jsp?player=courtney_sims

Obstructed_View
11-30-2008, 06:19 PM
23 points, 15 rebounds, 8 blocks. Call that fucker up now. :lol

Darkwaters
11-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Bruce 6'7"
Fin 6'7"
Manu 6'6"
Udoka 6'5"
RMJ 6'5"
We need a 6th wing WAY less than we need PG help in Austin that has next year possiblities.

I think Senor was implying the problem was with another set of numbers:

Bruce (37)
Fin (35)
Manu (31)
Udoka (31)
RMJ (28)

I think he is also considering next year possibilities.

Besides with the positive play of George Hill, and RMJ's ability to fill in at point as well, PG is our lowest priority right now. A swing (or especially a big) should be on the top of our shopping list.

exstatic
11-30-2008, 07:52 PM
I think Senor was implying the problem was with another set of numbers:

Bruce (37)
Fin (35)
Manu (31)
Udoka (31)
RMJ (28)

I think he is also considering next year possibilities.

Besides with the positive play of George Hill, and RMJ's ability to fill in at point as well, PG is our lowest priority right now. A swing (or especially a big) should be on the top of our shopping list.
Only one of those contracts actually ends next summer, so you're still talking a bigger redundancy than at PG, 4 to 2 next summer. I agree that it would be nice to have a young big, but apparently the Spurs haven't found one to their liking.

Darkwaters
11-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Only one of those contracts actually ends next summer, so you're still talking a bigger redundancy than at PG, 4 to 2 next summer. I agree that it would be nice to have a young big, but apparently the Spurs haven't found one to their liking.

Ok...but those 4 guys also cover two positions. And we ALWAYS have at least 2 swingmen on the court at a time (sometimes more if Mason is at point or Ime/Fin is at the 4). We very rarely run two PGs. And I doubt we'd ever run Ahearn in a 2 PG set unless it was garbage time.

galvatron3000
11-30-2008, 08:11 PM

:lobt2::flag::lobt2:

tav1
11-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Ahearn as Vaughn's replacement next season, cheap multi-year deal.

The Spurs should waive Tolliver so that can protect Hairston or some other wing.

Darkwaters
11-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Ahearn as Vaughn's replacement next season, cheap multi-year deal.

The Spurs should waive Tolliver so that can protect Hairston or some other wing.

A month ago I would have agreed. But I think Tolliver deserves an extended look. More so than Hairston.

I think the solution is to waive or trade Vaughn.

angelbelow
11-30-2008, 08:34 PM
ahearn must be liked. thats good news for him.

benefactor
11-30-2008, 08:38 PM
No doubt. Hell, I'll take 10/7/2 out of him.

The Truth #6
11-30-2008, 08:58 PM
It made sense to get rid of Vaughn during training camp in my opinion, but I don't think it's going to happen now either. Putting him on the inactive list is a start in the direction but I'd be surprised if they outright cut him. If a team takes him on with cash (and a tractor) for a 2nd round pick then obviously the situation changes.

I do think they the FO wants to groom Ahearn to be next year's 3rd string PG. Pop loves having 3 point guards, and assuming that doesn't change, Ahearn is a great option. He has at least one or more quantifiable skills for the NBA level.

I think what makes this situation all the more complicated is the delay in waiting to see when Ian can join the team and what he can produce, as well as how to gauge Tolliver's progress during this same time frame and to determine if they keep him or cut him to audition D League small forwards, if not other bigs.

With Ian's return date being somewhat near the date for contracts becoming guaranteed for the year - that makes an interesting scenario.

Obstructed_View
11-30-2008, 11:37 PM
No doubt. Hell, I'll take 10/7/2 out of him.

I'll settle for 5.2/6.8/0.6, which is what our current center rotation is putting up combined.

angelbelow
11-30-2008, 11:54 PM
He had a ridiculous triple double on opening night and a very solid game last night as well. Quite an improvement over last year's stats. We'll see if he keeps it up. I'm sure a lot of teams are looking. I think he was in the Pacers' camp this year or last.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/career.jsp?player=courtney_sims

impress stats.

SenorSpur
12-01-2008, 12:59 AM
A month ago I would have agreed. But I think Tolliver deserves an extended look. More so than Hairston.

I think the solution is to waive or trade Vaughn.

I would agree with the long look at Tolliver. His shooting needs to come around, but his BBIQ is very high.

As for Vaughn, I also agree, but don't expect it to happen. Pop has way too much respect for Vaughn to exile him to the scrapheap. And the Spurs are too cheap to buyout or throw cash away like that.

Tully365
12-01-2008, 01:28 AM
I keep hearing a lot about Courtney Sims. What about him?

Yeah, he's generating a lot of buzz now. If he has another couple of games like those first two, someone is bound to give him a ten day contract. Like Mahinmi in the past, it seems one of Sims' main problems was staying out of foul trouble, so his second game of the D-league season was possibly a sign of progress-- he had 11 blocks and only one foul to go along with 22 points, 17 rebounds, and 2 assists.

SenorSpur
12-01-2008, 01:32 AM
Yeah, he's generating a lot of buzz now. If he has another couple of games like those first two, someone is bound to give him a ten day contract. Like Mahinmi in the past, it seems one of Sims' main problems was staying out of foul trouble, so his second game of the D-league season was possibly a sign of progress-- he had 11 blocks and only one foul to go along with 22 points, 17 rebounds, and 2 assists.

I'd be curious to know whether Ian ever put up numbers like that during his D-league stint.

Biggems
12-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Courtney Sims looks like a man on a mission so far. He is acting like a man who eats soup with a fork, as Kenny Smith would say.

12-01-2008, 01:36 AM
sims definitely needs a little more bulk but waive ahearn and sign him to a 10-day now. i don't understand why the spurs are keeping four point guards + manu who can play some backup point. need help in the front court.

mrspurs
12-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Another Mickey Mouse move to the Mickey Mouse city of Austin.

ChumpDumper
12-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Another Mickey Mouse post from the Mickey Mouse poster.

Tully365
12-01-2008, 11:25 AM
I'd be curious to know whether Ian ever put up numbers like that during his D-league stint.

In Mahinmi's final game last season he went for 21 points, 15 rebounds, 5 blocks, and 5 fouls.

It must be a little nerve-wracking for all the GMs and team presidents who are no doubt keeping a close eye on Sims right now... do the performances of his first two games really represent growth on his part? He was just cut by the Hornets a month ago... but in one of those games, he went up against Chris Alexander, who many considered the best big in the D-league in pre-season reviews... either way, at this point, I'd still call him a wiser gamble than Ahearn, who really isn't needed at all. Grab him before someone else does!

SenorSpur
12-01-2008, 01:24 PM
In Mahinmi's final game last season he went for 21 points, 15 rebounds, 5 blocks, and 5 fouls.

It must be a little nerve-wracking for all the GMs and team presidents who are no doubt keeping a close eye on Sims right now... do the performances of his first two games really represent growth on his part? He was just cut by the Hornets a month ago... but in one of those games, he went up against Chris Alexander, who many considered the best big in the D-league in pre-season reviews... either way, at this point, I'd still call him a wiser gamble than Ahearn, who really isn't needed at all. Grab him before someone else does!

I agree that Sims would've been a much wiser gamble than a 4th pg. Spurs should've gotten a long look at this guy while Ian was out. Probably doesn't make much sense to have him now - unless Ian's return is uncertain.

duncan228
12-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Some quotes from Ahearn.

Ahearn gets assigned to Austin (http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2008/12/01/news/sports/local/170744.txt)
By Lou Babiarz

With Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker back in the lineup, it was no surprise that there was no longer room for Blake Ahearn in the San Antonio lineup, and that Ahearn will be headed back to the D-League.

But Ahearn won't be coming back to the Dakota Wizards - in fact he'll be playing against them. That's because the Spurs didn't release Ahearn, rather they assigned him to their D-League affiliate, the Austin Toros. Ahearn's new team will be facing his old one on Wednesday.

"I already talked to (coach Duane Ticknor) and Will Frisby and called (general manager) Tom Wagganer," Ahearn said. "It will be a little awkward, but a good awkward.

"I'll try not to call out all their plays," he said with a laugh.

Although the 24-year-old Ahearn obviously would have liked to stay with the Spurs, his assignment definitely has some silver linings. As an assigned player, Ahearn will still collect his NBA salary. And the Spurs are one of three NBA teams that own their affiliate, and they clearly have an interest in the D-League. Finally by assigning Ahearn instead of releasing him, it shows the Spurs think Ahearn may have a future in the NBA.

"If they thought I was just an insurance policy, they would have just cut me," Ahearn said. "I'm a competitor, so I'd rather be playing."

It was the second NBA call-up for Ahearn, who won the D-League rookie of the year award last season for Dakota.

This time he played in three games, averaging 2.7 points in six minutes per game.

"The fact that it was with the San Antonio Spurs, one of the greatest franchises in sports was the best thing," Ahearn said. "They're a top-notch organization with great people - great coaches and great players."

benefactor
12-01-2008, 01:40 PM
I am having trouble understanding why we need to retain him. I know Pop like to keep 3 PG's on the roster and he might be wanting to groom Ahearn for the future, but is it really necessary? Mason and Manu can both fill in at point. With continued questions regarding Ian I would think it to be wiser to have a roster spot available to deal with more immediate needs.

SenorSpur
12-01-2008, 01:49 PM
I am having trouble understanding why we need to retain him. I know Pop like to keep 3 PG's on the roster and he might be wanting to groom Ahearn for the future, but is it really necessary? Mason and Manu can both fill in at point. With continued questions regarding Ian I would think it to be wiser to have a roster spot available to deal with more immediate needs.

Agreed. Using a roster spot on a 4th PG is an absolute waste. Especially this year and especially when there are other needs. Next year is next year. I liked it better when Pop was auditioning players at that 15th spot.

ChumpDumper
12-01-2008, 01:51 PM
It's still an audition.

benefactor
12-01-2008, 01:56 PM
It's still an audition.
Ok...but a is it a necessary one given our current circumstances?

ChumpDumper
12-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Eh, I don't think the situation is desperate. Sure I'd prefer taking a look at Sims, but I'm not sure he would play any more than Ahearn did since Manu and Parker came back.

benefactor
12-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Agreed...I don't see it as desperate either, but I would place it in a higher category of concern. I think Sims would see minutes, especially against more athletic front lines like the Hornets and Lakers. Worst case scenario we could sign him and send him down to Austin to retain him.

DROB4EVER
12-01-2008, 04:45 PM
I have no idea way we are keeping this guy on the roster. He doesnt look like an NBA player to me. Only thing I can think of is maybe we are exploring dealing vaughn since a couple teams are looking for a backup pg.

Spurs Brazil
12-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Courtney Sims Named D-League Performer Of The Week

Courtney Sims of the Iowa Energy today was named the NBA D-league Performer of the Week for games played during the week of Nov. 24. Sims becomes the first Energy player and the first player of the 2008-09 season to earn the weekly honor.

In the season’s first two games for Iowa, both wins, Sims averaged a double-double of 22.5 points and 14.5 rebounds in addition to 8.0 blocks while shooting .542 (13-24) from the field. He opened the season with a triple-double on Friday against the Sioux Falls Skyforce, tallying 22 points, 17 rebounds, and 11 blocked shots. Sims' 11 blocks ties the NBA D-League single game record set by Cheikh Samb last season.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/55755/20081201/courtney_sims_named_d_league_performer_of_the_week/

Obstructed_View
12-01-2008, 05:57 PM
I have no idea way we are keeping this guy on the roster.

Pop saw him play defense and decided his huge doghouse potential was worth a roster spot.

barbacoataco
12-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Ahearn is a pure shooter and the Spurs will need shooters with Duncan, Ginobili, Parker and Hill all penetrating and looking to kick out to the open shooter. I think that is why Ahearn interests them. Really high % shooters are a becoming harder to find.

benefactor
12-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Ahearn is a pure shooter and the Spurs will need shooters with Duncan, Ginobili, Parker and Hill all penetrating and looking to kick out to the open shooter. I think that is why Ahearn interests them. Really high % shooters are a becoming harder to find.
Guys who block 11 shots in one game aren't falling out of trees either.

ChumpDumper
12-02-2008, 01:33 AM
I'll throw out one more scenario. I remember a couple of seasons ago when the Rockets received Gerald Fitch in a trade. They assigned him to Austin for a few games to make a final decision whether to keep him. Rudy T was at the home game he played to evaluate him.

RC was at the game tonight, so who knows?

timvp
12-02-2008, 01:39 AM
I'll throw out one more scenario. I remember a couple of seasons ago when the Rockets received Gerald Fitch in a trade. They assigned him to Austin for a few games to make a final decision whether to keep him. Rudy T was at the home game he played to evaluate him.

RC was at the game tonight, so who knows?The Spurs kinda did that last year with Darius Washington. He was decent but they sent him to Austin and he bombed. An Ahearn decision should be coming pretty soon. One or two more eggs and he could be released.

ChumpDumper
12-02-2008, 01:43 AM
That's true. Darius got six games, and you could really tell the Utah game was the deal breaker.

There were so many things wrong with this last game, Ahearn might get a pass.

DPG21920
12-02-2008, 01:46 AM
Well, Ahearn has some tools, I think it will be more of how Ian is progressing that dictates things this year. If Ian bombs, then they cut Ahearn and probably sign a big.

mountainballer
12-02-2008, 05:52 AM
can't see much sense in keeping Ahearn on a roster spot. he's not even the 4th PG, considering that they would play Mason at PG if there was a need. that makes Ahearn the #5 option. and his major quality is the one that is still well covered by this roster, while there are quite some holes in many other areas.
at 24 he also isn't a player who might still have a lot of hidden upside left.
so, do they keep him around because they work on a trade that would move JV (and others). if yes and considering that the Spurs will need to package several players to get a somehow useful player in return, this scenario would at least make some sense.
(december 15th is also ahead. there will be quite some dealing that day.)