PDA

View Full Version : OU ahead of Texas in the BCS

Stump
11-30-2008, 04:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3735383

As both an Auburn and a Texas fan, I don't think there is anybody else who hates the BCS as much as me.

Dr. Gonzo
11-30-2008, 04:50 PM
I like this year's mess. Not only did the Horns get screwed, it makes the BCS look like a fucking retarded system and a college football playoffs are needed.

txallstar
11-30-2008, 04:51 PM
it wont happen unless coaches and presidents start boycotting.

J.T.
11-30-2008, 04:51 PM
I like this year's mess. Not only did the Horns get screwed, it makes the BCS look like a fucking retarded system and a college football playoffs are needed.

BCS and ESPN renewed their contract for 8 more years so get used to the BCS screwing teams out of legitimacy for another decade.

J.T.
11-30-2008, 04:52 PM
it wont happen unless coaches and presidents start boycotting.

No, it won't happen unless fans stop buying tickets to bowl games. Good luck getting a university's fans not to attend a bowl game.

mookie2001
11-30-2008, 04:53 PM
maybe texas can go six years without a bowl win, then lose to OU, then itll all be gravy

bostonguy
11-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Unless Mizzu upsets OU, the SEC is going to rep as champions this year. OU's D is shit and Bama/Fla will expose that yet again. Plus both of those SEC teams have a much much much better D than OU has. D still wins championships and a great D beats a Great O everytime a championship is on the line.

Dr. Gonzo
11-30-2008, 05:02 PM
BCS and ESPN renewed their contract for 8 more years so get used to the BCS screwing teams out of legitimacy for another decade.

I'm sure if there is a playoff implemented the rights to those games would go to ESPN. I don't think a TV contract would make or break a playoff system.

tonylongoriafan
11-30-2008, 05:05 PM
bring back the split national title!

txallstar
11-30-2008, 05:06 PM
^^^apparently it happened when lsu won and some how every one said usc was co-champs but wasnt in the game. the bcs sucked then and it sucks now.

johngateswhiteley
11-30-2008, 05:11 PM
we all knew this was going to happen.

tonylongoriafan
11-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Texas Longhorns Co National Champions...next year the longhorns go for back to back

Obstructed_View
11-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Ridiculous. The BCS keep finding new ways to make themselves look incompetent and stupid.

ClingingMars
11-30-2008, 05:27 PM
man that really sucks...

glad i'm following a team that has the chance to settle it on the field. playoffs ftw!

-Mars

leemajors
11-30-2008, 06:34 PM
we all knew this was going to happen.

:tu

lebomb
11-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Playoff system.................FUCK anything else.

Horry For 3!
11-30-2008, 07:16 PM
BCS sucks OU's cock like always.

doobs
11-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Damn . . . UT has to sit home and watch two teams it beat play for the Big 12 championship. That sucks. If the Big 12 were a properly run conference, OU and UT would be playing in Kansas City.

Fuck playoffs. I hate the BCS, but that's half the fun of watching college football.

IronMexican
11-30-2008, 07:20 PM
I will be boycotting ALL BCS games. I know it may seem dumb, but if enough people do this, change will have to be made. I wont even watch USC win by 50 on New Years.

doobs
11-30-2008, 07:29 PM
I wont even watch USC win by 50 on New Years.

I bet you won't watch Santa Claus kiss your mother, either. Just to make a point.

IronMexican
11-30-2008, 07:32 PM
I bet you won't watch Santa Claus kiss your mother, either. Just to make a point.

Que?

j-6
11-30-2008, 07:52 PM
This sucks.

I found myself an OU fan when they played Tech, an Okie State fan this weekend, and I guess a Mizzou and Florida fan this upcoming weekend. Worst part is I'm one of those guys that thinks you should have to win your conference to play for the national title.

BCS:

1 - Oklahoma...22, 24, 24, 25, 25, 25 - .980 (145)
2 - Texas........23, 22, 25, 23, 24, 24 - .940 (141)

The first poll has Utah and Bama in front of Texas, second has Florida between them, and the fourth has Tech between them. Other three are self-explanatory.

monosylab1k
11-30-2008, 08:00 PM
At least it will still be fun to watch Chokelahoma get curbstomped in the National Championship game again.

doobs
11-30-2008, 08:05 PM
If UT fans were honest . . . they would admit that OU is probably the better team, by a slim margin. (I know, I know, 45-35 at the shootout. But OU has so much talent, and has been playing great football over the last few weeks.) My only gripe is with the inclusion of Mizzou in the Big 12 championship. UT should at least have a chance to show that its victory over OU was no fluke.

Aside from OU, UT is clearly better than Tech, Mizzou, or any other team in the Big 12. I would love to see UT and OU go at it again on a neutral field. We would basically be treated to two regular season "bowl" games.

I still can't believe UT pissed it all away against Tech by playing like a bunch of slack-jawed f-ggots . . . instead of sexual tyrannosauruses.

crc21209
11-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Shit as a UT fan im not going to admit that OU is better no fucking way, OU let OK State score 41 yesterday, that defense fucking sucks. AND UT beat OU on a neutral field, so fuck that! Im not watching College Football anymore, its fucking retarded.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-30-2008, 09:29 PM
At least we can claim national championship this year based on the USC clause of 2003.

samikeyp
11-30-2008, 10:11 PM
If UT fans were honest . . . they would admit that OU is probably the better team, by a slim margin. (I know, I know, 45-35 at the shootout. But OU has so much talent, and has been playing great football over the last few weeks.) My only gripe is with the inclusion of Mizzou in the Big 12 championship. UT should at least have a chance to show that its victory over OU was no fluke.

Aside from OU, UT is clearly better than Tech, Mizzou, or any other team in the Big 12. I would love to see UT and OU go at it again on a neutral field. We would basically be treated to two regular season "bowl" games.

I still can't believe UT pissed it all away against Tech by playing like a bunch of slack-jawed f-ggots . . . instead of sexual tyrannosauruses.

I am a UT fan and I will be honest. I think OU is playing as well as anyone right now but I also feel Texas is as well.

The one thing that Big XII fans should be able to agree on....

Tech, UT and OU are all deserving of a national title shot and two of those three were going to get screwed out of that because of the archaic system that D-1 football has in place.

Texas Chili Dog
11-30-2008, 10:45 PM
I found this interesting. It's all the different tie breaker methods.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/co...144&CID=883480 (http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=883480)

Oklahoma may be fortunate to reside in the Big 12. It is one of five leagues that is broken up into divisions – and it's the only league whose tiebreaker system would've ended up with the Sooners as the division champs. Here's a look:

ACC: Texas (fifth tiebreaker)
Once a three-team tie has been reduced to two, a two-team tiebreaker is used.
Combined head-to-head (all are 1-1)
Records vs. division (all are 4-1)
Head-to-head competition vs. team within the division with best overall (divisional or conference) proceeding through division (all beat Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas A&M)
Overall record for non-division teams (Texas wins; Longhorns opponents are 21-15, OU's and Tech's are 20-16)

Big 12: Oklahoma (fifth tiebreaker)
The records of three teams will be compared against each other (all are 1-1)
The records of three teams will be compared within their division (all are 4-1)
The records of three teams will be compared to next highest placed teams in their division (all beat Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas A&M)
The records of three teams against common opponents (all beat Kansas, only common North opponent)
Team with top BCS ranking (No. 2 Oklahoma, No. 3 Texas, No. 7 Texas Tech)

Conference USA: Texas (sixth tiebreaker)
Highest regular-season win percentage based on conference play (all tied at .875)
Head to head between tied teams (all are 1-1)
Highest win percentage in division (all .800)
Records against divisional opponents in descending order of finish (all beat Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas A&M)
Records against common cross-division opponents (all beat Kansas)
Records against cross-division opponents in descending order of finish (Texas wins; Longhorns defeated North champ Missouri)

Mid-American: Texas (fourth tiebreaker)
Head to head
Record vs. division
Win percentage of cross-over opponents (all 4-0 vs. common opponents, North opponents were a combined 11-13 for all teams)
Cross-division opponents in rank order (Texas wins; beat North champ Missouri)

SEC: Texas (sixth tiebreaker)
Head to head
Record vs. division
Head to head vs. team within division with best overall record and proceeding through division (all beat Oklahoma State, Baylor and Texas A&M)
Record vs. non-division teams (all 3-0)
Record vs. common non-divisional teams with best conference record (all beat Kansas)
Team with highest BCS, unless second tied team is ranked within five or fewer places of highest ranked team. In this case, head to head of winner of top two is the representative. (Oklahoma is No. 2, Texas is No. 3, Texas Tech is No. 7; Texas beat Oklahoma)

How about that, eh? The Big 12 is the only conference where OU would have come out ahead.

Whisky Dog
11-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Co National Champions. UT gets half motha fuckas!

Slinkyman
12-01-2008, 12:38 AM

OU the better team? UT beat your ass on a neutral field, UF will do the same.

BradLohaus
12-01-2008, 01:02 AM
Yeah, if OU beats Missouri and Florida barely beats Bama and OU and UT blows out somebody in the Fiesta Bowl then UT has a shot in the AP. But Florida is really good.

I wonder how that kid who dropped that pick feels right now... he robbed UT fans of the chance to watch Florida beat UT for the title. :lol

Spurtacus
12-01-2008, 01:25 AM
BCS fucking blows. Need a damn playoff system to determine the two best teams.

Texas Chili Dog
12-01-2008, 01:49 AM
The BCS isn't what screwed Texas. The Big 12 tiebreaker rules screwed Texas. Off all the conferences that are split into divisions, the Big 12 is the ONLY one where Oklahoma would win the tiebreaker over Texas. UT would win in every other conference.

Obstructed_View
12-01-2008, 02:04 AM
Since neither the conferences nor the BCS has a "common sense" clause, shit like this is going to happen.

tp2021
12-01-2008, 03:32 AM
I'm all for hoping the "system" will fuck up back in our favor if my hopes come to fruition and OU loses. UT could for some strange reason, perhaps, I hope, maybe, play for the National Championship without winning the Big 12 (or even playing in the championship game).

Ah well. At least I still have my Spurs.

CubanSucks
12-01-2008, 04:36 AM
Damn . . . UT has to sit home and watch two teams it beat play for the Big 12 championship. That sucks. If the Big 12 were a properly run conference, OU and UT would be playing in Kansas City.

Fuck playoffs. I hate the BCS, but that's half the fun of watching college football.

You're what's wrong with sports right now. Fuck what's "fun", I'd rather have an honest champion. Sports are more than just pure entertainment, does anyone remember pure competition? Well with the BCS it isn't settled on the field, all it is is a guessing game. Sure it's fun to watch because college football in general is fun but are you honestly telling me that watching those teams in a playoff wouldn't be just as fun if not more fun to watch?

johngateswhiteley
12-01-2008, 07:39 AM
oh, the irony. some t.u. fans hoping for a split national title.

J.T.
12-01-2008, 08:09 AM

You really have no right to make this post as long as you keep that SC banner in your sig.

doobs
12-01-2008, 09:14 AM
OU the better team? UT beat your ass on a neutral field, UF will do the same.

Jackass, I'm a UT fan.

tonylongoriafan
12-01-2008, 09:22 AM

circle of life, i guess, gotta take what u can get

stretch
12-01-2008, 09:23 AM
The one thing that Big XII fans should be able to agree on....

Tech, UT and OU are all deserving of a national title shot and two of those three were going to get screwed out of that because of the archaic system that D-1 football has in place.

I agree UT and OU are both deserving of a shot.

Tech can go fuck themselves.

DaDakota
12-01-2008, 09:34 AM
There are two scenarios in which UT goes to the NC game.

1. Mizzou beats OU....not likely

2. Florida beats Bama - very likely

If number 2 happens Florida is too far behind in the cmoputers and it would more than likely be an OU vs UT rematch in the NC game.

I put UT's chances at 50/50

DD

tonylongoriafan
12-01-2008, 09:44 AM
There are two scenarios in which UT goes to the NC game.

If number 2 happens Florida is too far behind in the cmoputers and it would more than likely be an OU vs UT rematch in the NC game.

DD

i think florida beating bama is a good enough win to jump florida in the driver's seat...i would put UT's chances at 25/75...the chances get better if Mizzou wins, but then you have USC sitting there with a similar argument.

FREAKIN TECH, fucking all kinds of shit up...i cannot believe texas lost to those cocksuckers!

stretch
12-01-2008, 10:02 AM

DD

Now I was actually very curious about the #2 scenario. But exactly how far behind UT and OU is Florida? I have a hard time beliving that after beating the #1 team, they won't at least jump UT (which would still be BS, considering how weak their schedule is compared to UT, and the fact that their loss came to an unranked team)

DaDakota
12-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Florida is WAY WAY WAY behind in the computers....even if they jump to number 1 in both human polls the odds are still in UT's favor based on the computer models.

DD

stretch
12-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Florida is WAY WAY WAY behind in the computers....even if they jump to number 1 in both human polls the odds are still in UT's favor based on the computer models.

DD

Not saying that I doubt you, but I'm very interested in seeing those numbers, and curious as to how much a close win against Bama would affect them.

monosylab1k
12-01-2008, 10:13 AM

DD

Maybe so, but there is such a love affair with the SEC, there's no way they don't put Florida or Bama in the championship game. They'll find a way to work the computers in the SEC's favor. Even if Florida wins and are too far behind in the computers, they'll find a way to put Bama in there (kinda like the year Chokelahoma lost the Big 12 championship but still played in the NC game).

Texas Chili Dog
12-01-2008, 10:36 AM
why would a Florida win help Texas? It would actually make it tougher on UT. If Alabama beats Florida and Mizzou beats Oklahoma, then that obviously erases Florida and OU from the picture. That would leave #3 UT and #5 USC (BCS rankings) as the next two teams ready to jump in to play Alabama.

stretch
12-01-2008, 10:44 AM
why would a Florida win help Texas? It would actually make it tougher on UT. If Alabama beats Florida and Mizzou beats Oklahoma, then that obviously erases Florida and OU from the picture. That would leave #3 UT and #5 USC (BCS rankings) as the next two teams ready to jump in to play Alabama.

Well obviously what you just said would be the best case-scenario for UT. But i think DDakota was just stating that its actually still possible for UT to get in even if OU wins.

samikeyp
12-01-2008, 11:01 AM
As much as I would like to see Texas in the National Championship game, I don't think a team who doesn't win their conference should be eligible to play for it.

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2008, 11:13 AM
One thing this fucked up ranking proves is that the BCS doesn't like "sportsmanship".

Mack Brown called off the dogs in the third quarter and could have easily hung an additional 20+ on the hapless ass kicked Aggies...

Stoops, on the other hand kept racking up the score right to the final bell.

we certainly saw which philosophy the BCS computers preferred.

samikeyp
12-01-2008, 11:15 AM
One thing this fucked up ranking proves is that the BCS doesn't like "sportsmanship".

Mack Brown called off the dogs in the third quarter and could have easily hung an additional 20+ on the hapless ass kicked Aggies...

Agreed. Sportsmanship is a dying art. Evidence of that is all over this board. :)

pkbpkb81
12-01-2008, 12:21 PM

What great sportsmanship it was for mack to call into espn during the ou osu game Bob Stoops would have never done that.

Also its a 3 way tie you cant hold the texas loss agains OU unless you old the teck loss against ut there is no fair way to determain the south champ.

I am a Sooners fan but i understaind why ut and teck fans are pissed I would be if OU had not got in.

leemajors
12-01-2008, 12:27 PM
What great sportsmanship it was for mack to call into espn during the ou osu game Bob Stoops would have never done that.

Also its a 3 way tie you cant hold the texas loss agains OU unless you old the teck loss against ut there is no fair way to determain the south champ.

I am a Sooners fan but i understaind why ut and teck fans are pissed I would be if OU had not got in.

why is stoops above doing anything?

FromWayDowntown
12-01-2008, 12:30 PM

The computers aren't supposed (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=1398846&type=news) to build margin of victory into their equations. Whether they do or don't, I can't say, but I know that the BCS rules have been modified to provide that margin of victory should not be a factor in ranking teams.

Obviously, margin of victory makes a difference to human voters, though. But Texas is ahead of OU in the Harris Poll and only 1 voting point behind OU in the USA Today poll (from what I can tell). I'm not sure that those placements would have changed all that much, even if UT had beaten A&M 100-9.

j-6
12-01-2008, 12:36 PM
The computers aren't supposed (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=1398846&type=news) to build margin of victory into their equations. Whether they do or don't, I can't say, but I know that the BCS rules have been modified to provide that margin of victory should not be a factor in ranking teams.

Obviously, margin of victory makes a difference to human voters, though. But Texas is ahead of OU in the Harris Poll and only 1 voting point behind OU in the USA Today poll (from what I can tell). I'm not sure that those placements would have changed all that much, even if UT had beaten A&M 100-9.

Texas rode the computers as long as they could. If anything screwed Texas, it was having to finish with a mediocre Aggie team when Oklahoma went to Stillwater to play a top 12 squad.

pkbpkb81
12-01-2008, 12:40 PM
why is stoops above doing anything?

HAS HE EVER DONE ANYTHING LIKE THAT BEFORE

leemajors
12-01-2008, 12:41 PM
HAS HE EVER DONE ANYTHING LIKE THAT BEFORE

he's cried like a baby about the BCS before, when it happened to not benefit him.

pkbpkb81
12-01-2008, 12:46 PM
he's cried like a baby about the BCS before, when it happened to not benefit him.

I DONT THAINK HE HAS EVER CRIED THATS A MACK TRICK, AND I KNOW HE AS NEVER CALLED IN TO GIVE HIS CASE DURING A GAME THAT ENVOLVED UT OR ANY ONE ELES FOR THAT MATTER.

ALSO THE YEAR TEXAS PLAYED MICH. IN THE ROSE BOWL THE ONLY RESON THEY GOT THERE WAS MACKS CRYING, THIS TIME IT DIDENT WORK FOR HIM.

Texas Chili Dog
12-01-2008, 12:54 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=280020201
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=270010201
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=250040030
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=240040099

NoMoneyDown
12-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Last five bowl games ...

Oklahoma: 1-4
Texas: 4-1

The two teams that held OU to 35pts were TCU and Texas - both of which have a good defense. Alabama and Florida have GREAT defenses (and Florida has arguably a better offense, too), so it wouldn't surprise me if the Sooners are embarrassed yet again, while Texas wins their bowl game.

pkbpkb81
12-01-2008, 01:01 PM
I DONT THAINK HE HAS EVER CRIED THATS A MACK TRICK, AND I KNOW HE AS NEVER CALLED IN TO GIVE HIS CASE DURING A GAME THAT ENVOLVED UT OR ANY ONE ELES FOR THAT MATTER.

ALSO THE YEAR TEXAS PLAYED MICH. IN THE ROSE BOWL THE ONLY RESON THEY GOT THERE WAS MACKS CRYING, THIS TIME IT DIDENT WORK FOR HIM.

wow you just told me with that, i could put up links to when ou beat texas 5 years in row and mack cried after everyone, but lets talk about now the SOONERS are going to beat mu and then play for a national champship while texas will be playing in a game no one cares about and mack will still be crying

Dr. Gonzo
12-01-2008, 01:04 PM
haha this dude is arguing with himself.

FromWayDowntown
12-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Texas rode the computers as long as they could. If anything screwed Texas, it was having to finish with a mediocre Aggie team when Oklahoma went to Stillwater to play a top 12 squad.

It probably would have been helpful to Texas to have Missouri beat Kansas this weekend (since UT beat both, but OU only beat KU); it also would have helped for Arkansas to have been better. And it didn't help that Cincinnati exceeded everyone's expectations and finished 13th in the BCS, with a strong computer average to boot. But I don't think any of that changed because UT called off the dogs against A&M or because Missouri rallied to make the game in Austin look closer than it was.

UT's marginal difference in the computers is probably as much about schedules and perceived strength of those schedules as it is about anything else. Truly, the ultimate outcome in this system seems to be a matter of infinitessimal differences that neither OU nor UT could control. If Missouri stays higher in the computers by beating KU and if Cincinnati hadn't ended up being Big East champ, UT probably noses OU out in the computers as well.

As an aside, I don't agree with the Big XII's three-team tiebreaking procedure, but I can understand its point. Suppose, for an example, that there was no championship game and that a 3-team tie in the South involved teams ranked #2, #3, and #7 (like we have). In a world with no championship game, the BCS rules would say that the team ranked #2 would advance to the BCS championship game, period. No tiebreakers or anything else. If that's the way the system works, it makes some sense to decide a tiebreaker within the division on that basis. (Though if the Big XII were truly acting out of self-interest, one could argue that the best result in this scenario would be to send the team ranked #3 to the championship game, protecting the team ranked #2 from missing out on a title game opportunity while giving the team ranked #3 the chance to get itself into the title game as well.). I don't know that it's a particularly good result, but it at least ensures (in the main) that the Big XII team that would normally go to the BCS championship game will have the opportunity to win the conference as well.

j-6
12-01-2008, 01:22 PM
I didn't consider the Mizzou angle. They dropped seven spots in the overall BCS rankings, behind Cincinnati. Cincy is in the 13th spot and Mizzou is 20th now after Mizzou was 13th last week. That could certainly make up .040 points.

FromWayDowntown
12-01-2008, 01:27 PM
I didn't consider the Mizzou angle. They dropped seven spots in the overall BCS rankings, behind Cincinnati. That could certainly make up .040 points.

In Week 6 of the BCS Rankings, the Cincinnati/Missouri standings were like this:

Cincinnati -- .430 computer percentage (16th in computer average)
Missouri -- .520 computer percentage (13th in computer average)

After Mizzou's loss to KU and Cincinnati's clinching of the Big East, here are the Week 7 standings:

Cincinnati -- .440 computer percentage (15th in computer average)
Missouri -- .220 computer percentage (20th in computer average)

One would have to think that the loss to KU dropped Missouri by a fairly significant amount (though it would have also elevated KU to an extent as well) and cost UT some amount in its strength of schedule while OU's SOS remained relatively constant (and, in fact, probably improved with KU's win).

DaDakota
12-01-2008, 01:30 PM
As much as I would like to see Texas in the National Championship game, I don't think a team who doesn't win their conference should be eligible to play for it.

That has happened lots of times......the conference championship games area joke.

DD

samikeyp
12-01-2008, 01:40 PM
That has happened lots of times......the conference championship games area joke.

DD

Its happened just twice...oddly enough in the Big 12. Nebraska in 01 (Colorado beat UT in the title game) and OU in 03. (K-State beat OU)

Bear in mind though, in the current format there have been 10 BCS title games. At the time of its inception, only the Big 12 and SEC had title games. The ACC has one now but the Big East, Big 10, and Pac-10 still don't have one.

IMO, everyone should have one or no one should have one.

j-6
12-01-2008, 02:01 PM
IMO, everyone should have one or no one should have one.

Who doesn't have one? The effing Pac 10 and the Big 10/11 along with the Big East. The Big East is understandable since they have sixteen teams enrolled but only eight play football in conference - the other seven either play I-AA ball or don't have a program. I'll leave my Notre Dame bitching out of this one. They

I don't see how the Pac-10 can divide itself into divisions without destroying a rivalry. It's set up too well. Cal/Stanford, UW/WSU, SC/UCLA, Zona/ASU, Oregon/Oregon State. I guess you can grab BYU and Utah and split them up but the schools are less than an hour away from each other.

As far as the Big 10 is concerned, they have to add or subtract a school sooner or later to make any playoff possible. And we all know what those guys think about changing anything up.

K-State Spur
12-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Who doesn't have one? The effing Pac 10 and the Big 10/11 along with the Big East. The Big East is understandable since they have sixteen teams enrolled but only eight play football in conference - the other seven either play I-AA ball or don't have a program. I'll leave my Notre Dame bitching out of this one. They

I don't see how the Pac-10 can divide itself into divisions without destroying a rivalry. It's set up too well. Cal/Stanford, UW/WSU, SC/UCLA, Zona/ASU, Oregon/Oregon State. I guess you can grab BYU and Utah and split them up but the schools are less than an hour away from each other.

As far as the Big 10 is concerned, they have to add or subtract a school sooner or later to make any playoff possible. And we all know what those guys think about changing anything up.

This is another cry for the playoff system.

The problem with the championship games are that they are - more often than not - a "just don't stub your toe" game for one of the teams involved.

If the game were a for a playoff spot, it would have more meaning. But as it is, it's just another speed bump for a potential MNC.

johngateswhiteley
12-01-2008, 07:15 PM
i do think ou is the better team right now, but t.u. did beat them. which should hold more weight right now?

Cant_Be_Faded
12-01-2008, 07:43 PM

Couldn't agree more. It's funny, and I meant my previous post partly in jest. Gotta look at this glass half full if you're a UT fan, and now that it's happened to us, how can we not hope to get voted number 1 after we assrape tOSU.

johngateswhiteley
12-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Couldn't agree more. It's funny, and I meant my previous post partly in jest. Gotta look at this glass half full if you're a UT fan, and now that it's happened to us, how can we not hope to get voted number 1 after we assrape tOSU.

although, when it happened to USC it was even worse. SC had been #1 almost the entire second half of the year in the AP poll...if i recall correctly.

if ou beats bama/florida and t.u. stomps utah/ohio state...then i think t.u. might have a claim there. but i have a feeling florida is going to murder ou. we shall see...lots of different scenarios.

StylisticS
12-01-2008, 09:37 PM
i do think ou is the better team right now, but t.u. did beat them. which should hold more weight right now?

This is blowing me. What have they shown that makes people believe they are playing better than Texas right now? They finally a team that was willing to punch them back in the mouth last Saturday Night but OSU just does not have the athletes nor experience (nor coaching) to beat them. They won games the same way before the Texas game when everybody thought that OU was clearly better than Texas the first time.

samikeyp
12-01-2008, 11:38 PM

+1

johngateswhiteley
12-02-2008, 03:17 AM
They won games the same way before the Texas game when everybody thought that OU was clearly better than Texas the first time.

thats true. it does appear ou is better than t.u. right now, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

what a shitty season...i think SC could beat anyone, but they wont get the chance either. chalk it up to another year and another reason for a playoff.

i wonder if it will happen in the next 20 years...?

stretch
12-02-2008, 09:13 AM
What have they shown that makes people believe they are playing better than Texas right now?

thats true. it does appear ou is better than t.u. right now, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

The only reason people think OU is playing so much better is because they run up the score, and Texas doesn't. Once Texas had the OSU game in hand, they pretty much just played ball-control offense and let the game die, while OU kept passing and playing agressively.

Their offense is better than Texas' offense, so they can blow teams out easier, but it doesn't make them a better team, because their defense isn't nearly as good as Texas' defense. Similar to the Suns. They would be winning more games than the Spurs, and often by 20 point margins, but it didn't make them a better team.

spurster
12-02-2008, 10:01 AM
There will be crying whatever system is put in place. There are 10 D-I teams with one loss or less (go Ball State, rah). Even a four-team or eight-team playoff is going to make someone unhappy.

K-State Spur
12-02-2008, 10:25 AM
There will be crying whatever system is put in place. There are 10 D-I teams with one loss or less (go Ball State, rah). Even a four-team or eight-team playoff is going to make someone unhappy.

But does anybody really care if a #9 or #10 team is bitching?

There's controversy over the basketball tournament selection every season - but at the end, nobody doubts its ability to determine a champion. Not the case with college football.