PDA

View Full Version : Students lie, cheat, steal, but are satisfied with their ethics

CubanMustGo
11-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Looks like the kids are learning well from corporate business ...

http://charactercounts.org/programs/reportcard/index.html

The Ethics of American Youth - 2008 summary

Survey of teens reveals entrenched habits of dishonesty — stealing, lying, and cheating rates climb to alarming rates

Los Angeles, CA – Josephson Institute's 2008 Report Card on the Ethics of American Youth is based on a survey of 29,760 students in high schools across the U.S. The results paint a troubling picture of our future politicians and parents, cops and corporate executives, and journalists and generals.

STEALING. In bad news for business, more than one in three boys (35 percent) and one-fourth of the girls (26 percent) — a total of 30 percent overall — admitted stealing from a store within the past year. In 2006 the overall theft rate was 28 percent (32 percent males, 23 percent females).

* Students who attend private secular and religious schools were less likely to steal, but still the theft rate among non-religious independent school students was more than one in five (21 percent) while 19 percent who attend religious schools also admitted stealing something from a store in the past year.
* Honors students (21 percent), student leaders (24 percent), and students involved in youth activities like the YMCA and school service clubs (27 percent) were less likely to steal, but still more than one in five committed theft.
* Twenty-three percent said they stole something from a parent or other relative (the same as 2006) and 20 percent confessed they stole something from a friend. Boys were nearly twice as likely to steal from a friend as girls (26 percent to 14 percent).

LYING. More than two of five (42 percent) said that they sometimes lie to save money. Again, the male-female difference was significant: 49 percent of the males, 36 percent of the females. In 2006, 39 percent said they lied to save money (47 percent males, 31 percent females).

* Thirty-nine percent of students in private religious schools admitted to lying as did 35 percent of the students attending private non-religious schools.
* More than eight in ten students (83 percent) from public schools and religious private schools confessed they lied to a parent about something significant. Students attending non-religious independent schools were somewhat less likely to lie to parents (78 percent).

CHEATING. Cheating in school continues to be rampant and it’s getting worse. A substantial majority (64 percent) cheated on a test during the past year (38 percent did so two or more times), up from 60 percent and 35 percent, respectively, in 2006. There were no gender differences on the issue of cheating on exams.

* Students attending non-religious independent schools reported the lowest cheating rate (47 percent) while 63 percent of students from religious schools cheated.
* Responses about cheating show some geographic disparity: Seventy percent of the students residing in the southeastern U.S. admitted to cheating, compared to 64 percent in the west, 63 percent in the northeast, and 59 percent in the midwest.
* More than one in three (36 percent) said they used the Internet to plagiarize an assignment. In 2006 the figure was 33 percent.

Worse than it appears?

As bad as these numbers are, it appears they understate the level of dishonesty exhibited by America’s youth. More than one in four (26 percent) confessed they lied on at least one or two questions on the survey. Experts agree that dishonesty on surveys usually is an attempt to conceal misconduct.

Despite these high levels of dishonesty, the respondents have a high self-image when it comes to ethics. A whopping 93 percent said they were satisfied with their personal ethics and character and 77 percent said that when it comes to doing what is right, I am better than most people I know.

Following a benchmark survey in 1992, Josephson Institute has conducted a national survey of the ethics of American youth every two years. Data was gathered through a national sample of public and private high schools. Surveys were conducted in 2008. For the general questions (over 20,000 responses), the accuracy is well within +/- 0.007 or 0.7%; for breakdowns of 10,000 the accuracy is +/- 0.98%; and even when there are just 1,000 responses, the accuracy is +/- 3.1%. Almost all standard errors of differences are much less than 1% for even small samples. These statistics have been verified by the Department Chair, Decision Sciences & Marketing, Graziadio School of Business & Management, Pepperdine University.

This report focuses on honesty and integrity. Additional reports, to be issued in the coming months, will address violence, drug use, and other issues.

ShoogarBear
11-30-2008, 05:33 PM
More than one in four (26 percent) confessed they lied on at least one or two questions on the survey.

What if that question was the one they lied on?

:smchode:

Biernutz
11-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Lie ,cheat and steal? A wall street job is waiting for you!

CubanMustGo
11-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Lie ,cheat and steal? A wall street job is waiting for you!

ftw!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Mmmmm... where exactly along the way did values largely disappear? I hate the direction the world has been heading in for the last 50 years.

I have never stolen. Nor have I cheated on a test, and never will. Cheats just don't get it - you don't learn through cheating, and you will be found out when you actually have to apply what you were supposed to have learned.

Disturbing figures... the most disturbing aspect is that these kids admit to their bad behaviour, then claim that their ethics are fine. WTF? Something is very wrong with the way we (as societies) are raising children.

Anti.Hero
11-30-2008, 10:32 PM
High school was ridiculous. Out of the top 10, many got scholarships to ivy leagues, at least half were hardcore cheaters.

TacoCabanaFajitas
12-01-2008, 05:12 AM
I have never stolen. Nor have I cheated on a test, and never will. Cheats just don't get it - you don't learn through cheating, and you will be found out when you actually have to apply what you were supposed to have learned.

Disturbing figures... the most disturbing aspect is that these kids admit to their bad behaviour, then claim that their ethics are fine. WTF? Something is very wrong with the way we (as societies) are raising children.

Sorry but I can't remember one time where knowing the DNA sequence of a turtle, or the biggest city in New Guinea has helped me in the real world when I sit down with a family and show them how to get out of debt and plan for their retirements.

I cheated my ass off in high school, mostly in science classes, because these days schools teach kids how to memorize facts and numbers, rather than actually learning anything. I may have lied to teachers and come up with elaborate ways to turn my C on a Bio test into an A, but I've never stolen a dime from anyone, or done anything in my life that I knew would harm someone emotionally or physically. So I would say my ethics and morals are more than fine.

And to the poster that commented on the top 10 students, I have to say there were some of the DUMBEST motherfuckers in school. No common sense, and low IQ's. But guess what? They could memorize anything they took notes on

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Okay, what about cheating on university exams? Apparently that is also rife, but it has consequences down the line if the people who are supposedly qualified to do something aren't able to do it because they didn't properly learn their craft.

Also, as far as I understand it, kids are now being taught a lot more process learning than rote memory stuff. When I was in year 7-12 ('87-'92), we had a fair mix of both.

I can guarantee you that none of the top 10 at my school were cheats... in fact, I'd bet none of the top 30. It was a grammar school, and cheating was an expulsion offence, but besides that they were extremely smart people. We had 6 maths savants (guys who've gone on to top flight careers in academia/maths/stats/engineering/actuarial accounting/etc.), and about the same number in the humanities (now spread throughout the upper echelons of business and government). They didn't need to cheat.

Past the upper echelon we had a bunch of reasonably smart hard workers - I was one of them, and at 33, after much wandering, am finally starting an environmental auditing and sustainability training business (much like financial planning in an environmental sense - it involves educating people on how they can change their lives to save money and live more sustainably at the same time). See, we actually have much in common.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to start a fight or insult anyone.

phyzik
12-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Okay, what about cheating on university exams? Apparently that is also rife, but it has consequences down the line if the people who are supposedly qualified to do something aren't able to do it because they didn't properly learn their craft.

Also, as far as I understand it, kids are now being taught a lot more process learning than rote memory stuff. When I was in year 7-12 ('87-'92), we had a fair mix of both.

I can guarantee you that none of the top 10 at my school were cheats... in fact, I'd bet none of the top 30. It was a grammar school, and cheating was an expulsion offence, but besides that they were extremely smart people. We had 6 maths savants (guys who've gone on to top flight careers in academia/maths/stats/engineering/actuarial accounting/etc.), and about the same number in the humanities (now spread throughout the upper echelons of business and government). They didn't need to cheat.

Past the upper echelon we had a bunch of reasonably smart hard workers - I was one of them, and at 33, after much wandering, am finally starting an environmental auditing and sustainability training business (much like financial planning in an environmental sense - it involves educating people on how they can change their lives to save money and live more sustainably at the same time). See, we actually have much in common.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to start a fight or insult anyone.

Im with TCF on this one. As far as your university exams, its the same crap.

For Example:

What is a Front Side Bus?

All you need to know: the Front Side Bus (FSB) is the bus that carries data between the CPU and the northbridge.

What they ask you in an exam:

What is the Theoretical maximum bandwidth of a 32bit FSB operating at 100MHz that performs 4 transfers per second? What Technology allows it to do 4 transfers per second?

WHO GIVES A SHIT! (the answer is on wikipedia though if your curious :lol )

The ONLY time you will need to EVER use that information is on a freaking game show or some crap. Its never used in my daily life and its my job to fix computers!

ComfortablyNumb
12-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Sounds like kids these days are on the right path to being great adults.

DarkReign
12-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Students lie, cheat, steal, but are satisfied with their ethics

Is there anything more American?

Should be our motto.

ploto
12-01-2008, 12:53 PM
We have a whole generation of children who have been coddled and told that they are great at everything when they are not. In the attempts to create self-esteem, we as a society have a bunch of kids with inappropriate views of themselves and life. They can not handle anything that is challenging or makes them feel less than the perfect kids their parents told them they are. Their parents have rigged and manipulated everything for them. They can do whatever they want and still think highly of their conduct. They really have no notion that other people are simply better at things than they are- and IT IS FINE. Everyone does not win. Everyone does not need a trophy. But they have grown up believing that they are ALL above average at everything- so they cheat and steal to hold onto that perception.

E20
12-01-2008, 06:07 PM
The only problem I have is that school wants you to learn stuff that has nothing to do with your major or what you want to become and some pretty useless stuff that I will forget to make room for the next useless stuff I will have to learn and memorize and they expect that it will make me a more well rounded person. Yeah right.

Drachen
12-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Im with TCF on this one. As far as your university exams, its the same crap.

For Example:

What is a Front Side Bus?

All you need to know: the Front Side Bus (FSB) is the bus that carries data between the CPU and the northbridge.

What they ask you in an exam:

What is the Theoretical maximum bandwidth of a 32bit FSB operating at 100MHz that performs 4 transfers per second? What Technology allows it to do 4 transfers per second?

WHO GIVES A SHIT! (the answer is on wikipedia though if your curious :lol )

The ONLY time you will need to EVER use that information is on a freaking game show or some crap. Its never used in my daily life and its my job to fix computers!

Well maybe the degree is built for people who have higher aspirations than just "fixing computers." It sounds like you could have done just as well with a certification or some other vocational certificate. Also, if all you needed to know was the former, then knowing the latter will make sure that you don't forget the former.

To E20 if you hold onto even 10% of what you have learned in the classes unrelated to your major you are a more well rounded person. The best way to allow someone control over you is to have a lack of intellectual curiosity. I dont know what your major is, but a good way to move up is to have ideas that work, that are outside of the status quo (i.e. what you are taught) a good way to do this is to learn stuff that is outside of the status quo. Now even if benefits aren't that direct, it is insane to say that the pursuit of being well rounded is a waste. If you only wanted to study business for example, you could just read a bunch of business books and really become an expert, why pay for college? History is rife with examples of bouts of intellectual curiosity turning into unintended but beneficial consequences for mankind. ok I will get off my soapbox because I am starting to ramble.

E20
12-01-2008, 06:42 PM
for example, you could just read a bunch of business books and really become an expert, why pay for college?
Because you would need a degree in buisness from a college for anyone to care about your knowledge in buisness.

Drachen
12-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Because you would need a degree in buisness from a college for anyone to care about your knowledge in buisness.

Unless you got published and your peers reviewed what you wrote well...

But to your point it seems that the business world (at least those doing the hiring) see value in having a well rounded workforce rather than one that is strictly educated in one area of expertise.

CuckingFunt
12-01-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm still shocked by how many people on my campus brag about both cheating and stealing.

I'm too scared of the possibility of getting caught to attempt shoplifting. And, cheating... has always felt like a bitch move to me. If you don't do the work in class, or don't care enough about the subject to really learn it, just sack up and take the F you deserve. Furthermore, I've always found that cheating (and all things associated with cheating -- not paying attention, ignoring the work, trying not to get caught, etc.) takes WAY more effort and energy than just going to class and studying.

E20
12-02-2008, 01:18 AM
If you don't do the work in class, or don't care enough about the subject to really learn it, just sack up and take the F you deserve. .

Well, what if it is a required class that you need for a transfer or major requirement, but it does not pertain to your major in any way at all and is just 'some' standard you have to meet for a particular 'reason'. IMO that sort of to me is like I am wasting my time when I could be doing something else with my money and time.

baseline bum
12-02-2008, 02:07 AM
Is there anything more American?

Should be our motto.

No, the national motto is Fuck you, I'll do what I want.

TheSanityAnnex
12-02-2008, 02:13 AM
I can guarantee you that none of the top 10 at my school were cheats... in fact, I'd bet none of the top 30.gay=naive ???

CuckingFunt
12-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Well, what if it is a required class that you need for a transfer or major requirement, but it does not pertain to your major in any way at all and is just 'some' standard you have to meet for a particular 'reason'. IMO that sort of to me is like I am wasting my time when I could be doing something else with my money and time.

I'm not suggesting that a general ed class should magically become the most important thing in your life, but it's really not that difficult to take an interest in something for a couple of months. Especially considering the fact that it does cost money -- as expensive as college is, I'll be damned if I pay for a class without squeezing as much new knowledge out of it as I possibly can.

E20
12-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah that is true. I tend to try to get my money's worth and the GE classes I take I generally take them because there is some interest in that field.

ploto
12-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Take advantage of those classes outside your major because most people change careers-- sometimes those classes are the ones that get you into a new door.

baseline bum
12-02-2008, 11:23 PM
I'm not suggesting that a general ed class should magically become the most important thing in your life, but it's really not that difficult to take an interest in something for a couple of months. Especially considering the fact that it does cost money -- as expensive as college is, I'll be damned if I pay for a class without squeezing as much new knowledge out of it as I possibly can.

GE classes are ways for schools to screw students for more money. With how much college costs, it would make more sense for E20 to really bust his ass in major to be prepared for interviews after graduation (considering he's doing a technical major, I believe). As for the career change remark, anyone who spends any time away from school is going to forget most of the knowledge they didn't directly use in their previous profession, so those GE classes aren't going to be a lot of help in an interview.

Jekka
12-02-2008, 11:44 PM
GE classes are ways for schools to screw students for more money. With how much college costs, it would make more sense for E20 to really bust his ass in major to be prepared for interviews after graduation (considering he's doing a technical major, I believe). As for the career change remark, anyone who spends any time away from school is going to forget most of the knowledge they didn't directly use in their previous profession, so those GE classes aren't going to be a lot of help in an interview.

I think there's something to be said for a well-rounded education, though. I don't see why a person shouldn't be able to prove that they can work outside of their specialization if needed. As a history major there was no real reason for me to have to know biology, but basic knowledge of lab procedures and scientific method can be used pretty much anywhere - and inversely, someone in a chemistry major couldn't hurt for having some workable knowledge of history and the use of the critical thinking skills that you get from a liberal arts education. I just don't see college as something that should only be a ticket to a specific job.

ShoogarBear
12-02-2008, 11:49 PM

http://forevergeek.com/images/macgyver.jpg

Disagrees.