PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Team Report Nov. 30

duncan228
11-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Spurs Team Report (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AiDudPX8eFFpwkl4V4ieHmaM0bYF?slug=teamre ports-2008-nba-sas&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report)

Getting Inside

Gregg Popovich had no idea who would start or how the minutes would be doled out Saturday night at Houston. That’s at least his public stance, and it’s a welcome problem to have.

The Spurs coach has his roster back to full strength, even if Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker are still working their way back into basketball shape. And those two have looked like All-Stars again in limited minutes.

“Tony has done a great job with his rehab, as has Manu,” Popovich said after Friday’s win over Memphis. “Tony did a fine job. He moved the basketball well and made great decisions. His rhythm was good. He’s back.”

Popovich added that it almost feels like preseason, mixing in his usual starters with the newcomers who have preformed so admirably this season.

“It’s going to take some time, especially with Manu getting back into his rhythm,” Parker said. “When Manu is healthy, we will start calling more plays for him, and right now we aren’t doing that.

“Once our team gets healthy, we can focus on working together. I think this team will be fine with players like George Hill and Roger Mason Jr. stepping up.”

Rockets 103, Spurs 84: Houston shook off the absence of Tracy McGrady and routed San Antonio, which had its four-game winning streak snapped Saturday night. The Spurs lost for just the fifth time in the last 16 meetings with the Rockets.

Tim Duncan started slowly and scored 17 to lead San Antonio. Tony Parker, making his first start since returning from a sprained ankle, had 15 points and seven assists for the second straight game.

The Spurs had held 11 consecutive opponents to less than 100 points. Luther Head replaced McGrady in the starting lineup and scored 21 to lead seven Rockets in double figures.

Notes, Quotes

• Tony Parker knew his teammates had more than picked up the slack in his absence. With the Spurs rebounding from a slow start to get above .500, it may have seemed prudent to keep Parker off his ankle a little longer.

Parker didn’t see it that way.

“Honestly I felt like I was ready to play,” he said. “The team has done a great job during my absence. I just didn’t feel the need to rest more. I love the game of basketball, and I couldn’t wait to get back out on the court.”

He didn’t need long to regain his form. Parker totaled 15 points and seven assists in Friday’s win over Memphis.

“It feels great,” he said. “When you’re out for three weeks, all you can think about is getting back on the court and trying to have fun while helping your team win.”

Parker matched his point and assist numbers from Friday in Saturday’s loss to Houston.

• Apparently, one game was enough to convince Gregg Popovich. Tony Parker was back in the starting lineup Saturday night at Houston, one night after making his return to the lineup after missing three weeks.

Parker’s inclusion in the starting five caused a domino effect. Roger Mason, the starting point guard the last few games, slid over to shooting guard. Michael Finley moved to small forward, and Bruce Bowen went back to the bench.

Quote To Note: “Now we have so many options, it’s going to be tough for teams. I think it’s a good problem to have. That’s two All-Stars that came off the bench (Friday). I don’t know how many teams can say that.”—G Roger Mason, on Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker returning to the lineup.

Roster Report

Rotation:

Starters—Point guard Tony Parker, Shooting guard Roger Mason, Small forward Michael Finley, Power forward Tim Duncan, Center Fabricio Oberto.

Bench—Forward Kurt Thomas, Guard Manu Ginobili, Forward Ime Udoka, F Bruce Bowen, Center Matt Bonner, Center Anthony Tolliver, Guard George Hill.

Player Notes:

• G Roger Mason knows his minutes are in for an adjustment with the returns of Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. Mason had been playing both backcourt spots with success, but he doesn’t have any illusions of unseating the two All-Stars.

But he does plan on doing what has earned him playing time.

“I expect to have the same role on the court,” Mason said. “I plan on continuing to stay aggressive. As we get healthier, we just increase our options, and it becomes together to prepare for us.”

• G Tony Parker watched Manu Ginobili come back ahead of schedule and was itching to do the same. Even though he beat most estimates by at least a week by returning Friday, he actually wanted to get back out there Wednesday but was overruled.

“(Coach Gregg Popovich) wanted to be careful with me,” Parker said. “He wanted me take my time coming back because I was expected to miss four weeks. I waited and worked on my strength conditioning to be ready to play.”

• G George Hill had a bag of ice wrapped on his left shoulder after Friday’s game. He stretched the shoulder diving for a loose ball two nights after getting hit in the same shoulder by Chicago’s Andres Nocioni.

“I can’t even pronounce what they said I have,” Hill said. “But it’s the same thing that happened Wednesday when Nocioni pulled my arm. It’s sore, but they just told me to ice it and it should be all right.”

Hill played 24 minutes Saturday and scored three points on 1-of-8 shooting.

Medical Watch:

• C Ian Mahinmi (sprained right ankle) has been assigned to the team’s D-League affiliate in Austin.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Mahinmi, come back!

When are we going to see the kid play???