PDA

View Full Version : MMA Fight Club - How many of you Train with an MMA Fight Club ?

bodhisattva
11-30-2008, 10:30 PM
MMA Fighting - How many of you guys train at a gym in boxing, grappling and clinch? Any of you do collegiate wrestling? Folk wrestling in high school? Martial arts other than Mixed Martial Arts? Belong to a fight club?

Just curious.

dallaskd
11-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Wrestled in High School then quit because it was the same season as basketball.

polandprzem
12-01-2008, 04:30 AM
I fought my friend once

djohn14
12-01-2008, 07:54 AM
I put on a mean armbar to a buddy of mine....felt his arm start to pop...got scared an d let go!

Rip-Hamilton32
12-01-2008, 08:04 AM
took bjj at jeff joslins dads gym for a month

ATRAIN
12-01-2008, 08:27 AM
i train in a boxing gym and have been for over a year now. Im considering joining a Ju-jitsu camp here in Austin.

desflood
12-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Nah. Going to put one son into Judo and the other into wrestling and live vicariously through them.

ATRAIN
12-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Nah. Going to put one son into Judo and the other into wrestling and live vicariously through them.

If you want I can teach you anything I learn :).

DBryant88
12-01-2008, 03:42 PM
I've been wrestling since 3rd grade. now im a senior

cornbread
12-01-2008, 09:13 PM
I've been doing bjj and no-gi for a few years.

Geezerballer
12-02-2008, 03:49 PM
I’m retired (from martial arts that is) but I boxed in the Golden Gloves when in High School, then joined the Judo club in college. I’d been in a fight w/ a much bigger, guy when I was 17 and although I bloodied his nose, we ended up on the ground and he was about to put some hurt on me when the cops broke it up. I realized then (1980) that striking wasn’t any use when you’re on your back.

I competed on the Judo team throughout college then when I went in the Army, I trained w/ several martial artists in various striking arts where I picked up some things and I discovered how much bullshit was being taught as martial arts. I got out and moved to a small town where the only option was a Kempo club who trained at the YMCA. Every Tues. night we had “Fight night” where we wore Chuck Norris gloves, a cup and mouthpiece and went “no-holds barred”. I learned to blend my grappling skills w/ striking and developed something very similar to what is now seen in MMA. This was in the early 90’s so when I first saw Royce Gracie fight in the early UFCs, I felt like my own fighting philosophy was vindicated.

Later, I earned another black belt in a BJJ club and fought in “school” tournaments until injuries caused me to give it up. MMA has evolved in the last several yrs. into a sport just like Judo and TKD did and while it’s a better spectator sport due to the increased striking and rounds, it’s not as close to a true fight as it was when it started but it’s the closest “art” to it.

dbreiden83080
12-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Nice story Geezerballer, welcome to the forum.. :toast

z0sa
12-03-2008, 12:07 AM
wing chun kung fu

BlackSwordsMan
12-03-2008, 03:29 PM
I’m retired (from martial arts that is) but I boxed in the Golden Gloves when in High School, then joined the Judo club in college. I’d been in a fight w/ a much bigger, guy when I was 17 and although I bloodied his nose, we ended up on the ground and he was about to put some hurt on me when the cops broke it up. I realized then (1980) that striking wasn’t any use when you’re on your back.

I competed on the Judo team throughout college then when I went in the Army, I trained w/ several martial artists in various striking arts where I picked up some things and I discovered how much bullshit was being taught as martial arts. I got out and moved to a small town where the only option was a Kempo club who trained at the YMCA. Every Tues. night we had “Fight night” where we wore Chuck Norris gloves, a cup and mouthpiece and went “no-holds barred”. I learned to blend my grappling skills w/ striking and developed something very similar to what is now seen in MMA. This was in the early 90’s so when I first saw Royce Gracie fight in the early UFCs, I felt like my own fighting philosophy was vindicated.

Later, I earned another black belt in a BJJ club and fought in “school” tournaments until injuries caused me to give it up. MMA has evolved in the last several yrs. into a sport just like Judo and TKD did and while it’s a better spectator sport due to the increased striking and rounds, it’s not as close to a true fight as it was when it started but it’s the closest “art” to it.

nice read

BWS-1994
12-06-2008, 03:15 PM
I used to train in a fight club here that competes in the Philippine version of UFC.

Sadly, it's been more than a year now since I last hit the bags, rolled in the mat and experienced some pain.

angelbelow
12-08-2008, 06:47 PM
no professional training but i like to watch instructional videos. also thinking about joining a Ju-jitsu gym.