PDA

View Full Version : So how would you fix Phoenix?

pauls931
11-30-2008, 10:45 PM
I've been a fan for a long time, but something seems really wrong to me right now. There's the obvious, new coach, shaq coming in, amare becoming impatient, etc... But they just seem damned broken. (harris scoring 40+? doesn't sound like the D is adjusting)

Trades? Coaching changes? Offseason moves? what would you do?

ducks
11-30-2008, 10:46 PM
I trade amare before he runs to knicks and you get nothing for him

ducks
11-30-2008, 10:46 PM
amare for kg was a NO BRAINER

Xylus
11-30-2008, 10:47 PM
There's not much we can do right now. Our players are too old, our "franchise" player has an ego and is too inconsistent, our coach doesn't seem to know how to run an offense.

We're fucked for the next two years.

ducks
11-30-2008, 10:47 PM
your o scored over 100 points tonight

Xylus
11-30-2008, 10:49 PM
your o scored over 100 points tonight

Our offense looks stagnant. No movement. Shaq is getting too many touches and Amare isn't getting enough.

mystargtr34
11-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Only because it was an up and down chuckfest.

pauls931
11-30-2008, 10:51 PM
I don't think age is a factor at all. It just seems like the players are getting frustrated. This usually happens when they don't get to play to their strengths. It seems like the D is not better, but the O is going downhill big time. (sure they scored 100 tonight, but the O is not nearly as fluid as the last few years)

sribb43
they dont have the personnel for a defensive team, if they want to become defensive, they need new players. 4 of their top 7 players arent considered defensive players in Nash, Barbosa, Amare and Diaw

ducks
44 points in the 4 quarter scored on you after only 18 in 3

JamStone
11-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Waive Shaq.

pauls931
11-30-2008, 10:56 PM
they dont have the personnel for a defensive team, if they want to become defensive, they need new players. 4 of their top 7 players arent considered defensive players in Nash, Barbosa, Amare and Diaw

I don't quit buy it outside of Nash all those guys should be able to play d. Defense is something you can do consistenly and improve on with training, and I'm not seeing much improvement.

Stump
11-30-2008, 10:58 PM
I have not had the opportunity to watch them play lately, but I have heard Steve Nash has struggled a little bit in the half-court offense. This combined with his attrocious defense in a conference full of excellent point guards may not bode well for Phoenix.

This may sound nuts (and maybe rightly so), but who do you think they could trade Nash for?

sook
11-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Amare for Yao..its a no brainer

Brickhouse
11-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Have you seen the suns without Nash?

Welcome to the demise of the Mavs and Suns.

sribb43
11-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Suns next 4 out of 5 games are @NO, @DAL, UTAH, @LAL.......it could get uglier

pauls931
11-30-2008, 11:03 PM
I have not had the opportunity to watch them play lately, but I have heard Steve Nash has struggled a little bit in the half-court offense. This combined with his attrocious defense in a conference full of excellent point guards may not bode well for Phoenix.

This may sound nuts (and maybe rightly so), but who do you think they could trade Nash for?

Devin Harris? :p It would have to be for someone good, I'm seriously concerned about Amare bolting. If he's really unhappy by mid season, they might consider a package to go after dwight howard. Of course I have no idea of howard's contract/salary...

tlongII
11-30-2008, 11:06 PM
They shouldn't have let D'Antoni go.

Thompson
11-30-2008, 11:06 PM
You might make the postseason with this group, but I don't think they'll ever win a championship or even get to the Finals.

Get what you can while you can for Nash and Amare, and anyone else you can trade for picks or young players. See if New York will give you something for Nash. You'll have to go through a few bad years, maybe more, but it will be better than riding Nash and Amare for a couple more years, ending up nowhere and without anything to show for it. You trade them, maybe you can get some building blocks for the future.

pauls931
11-30-2008, 11:09 PM
They shouldn't have let D'Antoni go.

I kind of wonder if the Shaq trade made Dantoni go inevitable. This is the thing that scared me the most. Trading a player here and there takes time to adjust, but changing the head coach is probably the largest change you can make and takes a year or two to kick in.

I wonder if steve kerr is still playing for the spurs...

Warlord23
11-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Lol, Suns. The teabagging dished out by Harris must have reminded Nash of Parker's ownage in the past

lurker
11-30-2008, 11:19 PM
The Suns are miserable with Porter as their coach. They've said as much, and it shows on the court.

Matchman
11-30-2008, 11:27 PM
trade Shaq and try to land a defensive big who wont take away Amare's touches and make Amare the designated low post scorer. then trade Nash to the Cavs for Mo Williams. seriously, if Porter wants to run a defensive-minded team Nash has to go.

jonnybravo
11-30-2008, 11:28 PM
amare for kg was a NO BRAINER

This.

The astronomical level of nut-hugging Amare got was mind-boggling.

samikeyp
12-01-2008, 12:14 AM
I wouldn't change a thing with Phoenix. Let them continue down the road they are on. :)

MrChug
12-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Our offense looks stagnant. No movement. Shaq is getting too many touches and Amare isn't getting enough.

Porter is regressing to the "dump it into Shaq" offense. I LOVED HIM AS A PLAYER, but he really seemed like the wrong way to go for the Suns. Yall may have needed a Skiles. Up on defense, but let the PG's have their way with the offense IMO.

Thompson
12-01-2008, 01:04 AM
Apparently, this is how you fix Phoenix:

Suns try to craft solution at team meeting

by Paul Coro - Nov. 30, 2008 09:22 PM
The Arizona Republic

It was not a scrapbooking party but the Suns did break out the scissors and paste when they gathered for a meeting Saturday.

It was more bonding exercise than power meeting with staff and management. It lasted 30 minutes, with the product being collage posters they made about togetherness that were put on the locker room wall. Did it help?

"It's yet to be determined," coach Terry Porter said. "Whenever you run an exercise like that, it's long term more than short term. I don't know if you can necessarily see short-term results."

http://www.phxsuns.net/showthread.php?t=1124

:lmao

Who wants to bet Amare did a hand turkey?

Brickhouse
12-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Who wants to bet Amare did a hand turkey?

:lmao:lmao

Armando
12-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Is this for real? :lol

ElNono
12-01-2008, 01:20 AM
You get an actual coach, that's how...

Armando
12-01-2008, 01:22 AM
You get an actual coach, that's how...

A actual bench thats more then just Leandro Barbosa and whats left of Grant Hill

Lp26
12-01-2008, 01:26 AM
The suns need to stop trying to be a defensive team. With Steve Nash you never will be. Accept it and go back to trying to outscore people. Sit Shaq more and play small ball. At least you guys were more fun to watch then.

pauls931
12-01-2008, 09:27 AM
The suns need to stop trying to be a defensive team. With Steve Nash you never will be. Accept it and go back to trying to outscore people. Sit Shaq more and play small ball. At least you guys were more fun to watch then.

I disagree a bit. I think they should wisely choose when to play shaq. On defense in previous years, they sucked, but they were just a few rotations on D from winning a lot of games. They don't need to reinevent the wheel on D. I agree on offense, they need to run and gun and play shaq in games where they need to grind it out or when they get a big lead they want to maintain.

I help off posting this last night, but my first reaction was either Porter or Amare have to go... I would really hate to trade Nash because he was part of what made the team fun.

I wonder what Paul Westphal is doing?....

Thunder Dan
12-01-2008, 09:29 AM
I think the Suns will be alright- it doesn't matter how many regular season games you win as long as you make the playoffs

pauls931
12-01-2008, 09:36 AM
I think the Suns will be alright- it doesn't matter how many regular season games you win as long as you make the playoffs

It was frustrating to see Amare get ejected, may have cost them the game. But if memory serves me right, Barkley got ejected like every 3 or 4 games back in his day, LOL.

Thunder Dan
12-01-2008, 09:40 AM
It was frustrating to see Amare get ejected, may have cost them the game. But if memory serves me right, Barkley got ejected like every 3 or 4 games back in his day, LOL.

the regular season doesn't matter. Last year the Cavs started out 9-13 or something like that, finished with a crappy record, but in the playoffs their defense was able to win them games. I know close doesn't count, but they were the only team to actually come close to beating the Celtics.

If Porter can get the Suns to play good defense down the stretch anything is possible in the playoffs

pauls931
12-01-2008, 09:49 AM
the regular season doesn't matter. Last year the Cavs started out 9-13 or something like that, finished with a crappy record, but in the playoffs their defense was able to win them games. I know close doesn't count, but they were the only team to actually come close to beating the Celtics.

If Porter can get the Suns to play good defense down the stretch anything is possible in the playoffs

Porter better get things figured out fast. I don't think patience is very plentiful in suns land. The regular season I think matters again this year because if you're seeded low, you'll have to steal road wins at Utah, San Antonio, LA, Houston, not fun.

Thunder Dan
12-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Porter better get things figured out fast. I don't think patience is very plentiful in suns land. The regular season I think matters again this year because if you're seeded low, you'll have to steal road wins at Utah, San Antonio, LA, Houston, not fun.

Well the Mavericks and Suns were always able to win a ton of games during the regular season which made the fans happy....but the playoffs came around and those regular season wins got them nothing

Dex
12-01-2008, 10:42 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/comeuppance

K-State Spur
12-01-2008, 10:52 AM
No matter what system PHX plays, they will typically have 3 bad defensive players on the court at the same time. Bell/Hill can't cover for nash/amare/shaq on a regular basis.

sonic21
12-01-2008, 10:55 AM
No matter what system PHX plays, they will typically have 3 bad defensive players on the court at the same time. Bell/Hill can't cover for nash/amare/shaq on a regular basis.

exactly
and bell is an overrated defender.

:tu they're screwed

Thunder Dan
12-01-2008, 10:58 AM
defense isn't a matter of ability, it's a matter of wanting to do it. It's hard to change a culture that empathized only playing offense, to making it about balance on both sides of the ball. A example is Mo Williams. His biggest knock coming to Cleveland was how he didn't play defense in Milwaukee, but this year in Cleveland he is playing excellent defense. It's all about wanting to play defense

xtremesteven33
12-01-2008, 11:35 AM
I cant believe that the offense is focused on Shaq!

You got one of the most explosive PF's to ever play this game and they arent focusing the offense on him but on an old overweight SHAQ??

sure dantoni wasnt a jedi at defense but he knew how to use players strenghts to the teams benefit and run a great offense. Porter seems to not have the liberty to do that.

Indazone
12-01-2008, 11:37 AM
I would not make Shaq the focus of the offense but I would play more of a high post offense to take advantage of Amare's ability to get it to the hole.

Dex
12-01-2008, 11:49 AM
I just find it funny that when Shaq came, the whole Phoenix organization was preaching that 'we can't change to fit Shaq, Shaq must change to fit us'.

All it took was one playoff blunder to realize that Shaq is not a runner and gunner. Unfortunately, he's not the beast in the post that he used to be either, so I'm pretty sure building the offense around him isn't the answer.

Killakobe81
12-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Shaq plus new coach is a tough adjustment for a tam to take ....I would trade one or the other ...

pauls931
12-01-2008, 01:39 PM
I just find it funny that when Shaq came, the whole Phoenix organization was preaching that 'we can't change to fit Shaq, Shaq must change to fit us'.

All it took was one playoff blunder to realize that Shaq is not a runner and gunner. Unfortunately, he's not the beast in the post that he used to be either, so I'm pretty sure building the offense around him isn't the answer.

It hurts my eyes when I see nash bring the ball down the court, everyone stands still and then he passes it into the post to Shaq. Reminds me of Barkley's later days in Phoenix when I was actually happy to see him traded just to force the offense to do something different.

You have to have a damn good post player to do that and get away with it. Hakeen, Duncan, Young Barkley/Shaq come to mind.