PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Self-Confidence Lets Spurs' Bonner Raise Game

duncan228
11-30-2008, 10:56 PM
Self-confidence lets Spurs' Bonner raise game (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Self-confidence_lets_Spurs_Bonner_raise_game.html)
By Jeff McDonald

It took Spurs forward Matt Bonner a little more than four NBA seasons to figure out his biggest character flaw as a basketball player.

“I have a conscience out there on the court,” he says. “I can be a bit of a perfectionist, and that can cause me to be hard on myself.”

Bonner's penchant for self-criticism often could be self-defeating. It would make him tentative on offense, which in turn would make coach Gregg Popovich tentative about playing him.

Bonner's note to self over the past few weeks: Don't worry, just shoot.

“Whether I'm making them or missing them, I have to keep shooting,” Bonner said. “It's the one thing I can do to help the team.”

Life without a conscience seems to suit Bonner well.

In the nine games since failing to see the floor in a Nov. 12 loss at Milwaukee, Bonner is averaging 9.2 points off the bench and shooting a sizzling 57.8 percent (33 of 57).

Bonner is coming off his best game of the season in Saturday's 103-84 loss at Houston, in which he scored 17 points and made 6 of 7 shots, including 3 of 4 3-pointers.

Bonner even sparked a first-half rally with a rare defensive gem, stripping Houston's Luis Scola of the ball near the top of the arc and racing the other way for a fast-break dunk.

“I think Matt's done a wonderful job for us,” Popovich said. “He's gotten the minutes that Robert (Horry) used to get, and he's really played well.”

Ahearn to Austin: The Spurs on Sunday assigned point guard Blake Ahearn to the Austin Toros, their affiliate in the NBA Development League.

Ahearn appeared in three games after the Spurs signed him on Nov. 16, but was rendered superfluous this week when Tony Parker returned from an ankle injury.

Century-mark streaks: The Spurs had a couple of notable defensive streaks end in Saturday's loss to Houston.

It was the first time the Rockets had topped 100 points against the Spurs in 29 games, a streak dating to March 17, 2001. It also broke a string of 11 straight games this season in which the Spurs had kept opponents below the century mark.

“We were just plain bad on defense,” guard Manu Ginobili said. “We gave away too many points. We just weren't as intense as we needed to be.”

Roger that: One month into his Spurs career, guard Roger Mason Jr. has been one of the NBA's deadliest 3-point shooters. After 16 games, he has made 43 3-pointers, second-most in the league behind Orlando's Rashard Lewis (44).

Mason is shooting 52.4 percent from 3-point range, also good for second in the NBA.

Golden State rookie Anthony Morrow is first at 53.3 percent.

“The coaches have done a good job of putting me in position to get some good looks,” Mason said, “and I've been able to take advantage of it.”

Manufan909
11-30-2008, 10:59 PM
I hope Bonner can keep that outlook the rest of his Spurs career. I really wish he'd been played more last night, since he seemed to be channeling vintage Horry.

mystargtr34
11-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Matt has been damn good lately.

YODA
11-30-2008, 11:05 PM
I think he being set up for a trade.

The Truth #6
11-30-2008, 11:10 PM
If he's playing well, then why not just play him? I wouldn't want to use him as bait just to get rid of a bad player like JV, and this all assumes anyone would want him. We've invested time in him, I think it's good to finally see some positive returns.

T Park
11-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Couldn't be happier for Mr. Bonner.

Good quality guy who has always done whats best for the team.

Go Matt Go

Manufan909
11-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Wasn't he doing pretty good for awhile last season too, then was injured, and lost his minutes to Elson and Fab?

Obstructed_View
11-30-2008, 11:49 PM
Roger that: One month into his Spurs career, guard Roger Mason Jr. has been one of the NBA's deadliest 3-point shooters. After 16 games, he has made 43 3-pointers, second-most in the league behind Orlando's Rashard Lewis (44).

Roger has done this while attempting 36 fewer three pointers than Lewis.

Manufan909
11-30-2008, 11:58 PM
Roger has done this while attempting 36 fewer three pointers than Lewis.

:lol

I was all excited that O_V actually had something good to say about the Red Rocket... now I'm just :depressed

Obstructed_View
12-01-2008, 12:04 AM
:lol

I was all excited that O_V actually had something good to say about the Red Rocket... now I'm just :depressed

You must have me confused with someone else. Find a post where I've said anything bad about him aside from what was true. I've been right about Matt Bonner since before the season started. He fixed the one thing I said he needed to fix in his game, and he's been terrific ever since. Hell, he was the best player on the Spurs last night.

lurker23
12-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Couldn't be happier for Mr. Bonner.

Good quality guy who has always done whats best for the team.

Go Matt Go

:tu x 1,000

Manufan909
12-01-2008, 12:14 AM
You must have me confused with someone else. Find a post where I've said anything bad about him aside from what was true. I've been right about Matt Bonner since before the season started. He fixed the one thing I said he needed to fix in his game, and he's been terrific ever since. Hell, he was the best player on the Spurs last night.

Nah, I just thought it was funny how I overreacted about you posting something about the main topic, and finding out instead you only commented over a smaller part of it.

Nice fact, though.:toast

SenorSpur
12-01-2008, 12:49 AM
I've always been annoyed by Bonner's passive, inconsistent play. However, Dude has definitely been playing "lights out" basketball. Finally his production has caught up with his effort. That steal and bucket against the Rockets was absolute bad ass! Keep playing with that attitude!

z0sa
12-01-2008, 03:04 AM
Bonner played great. I'm enjoying every second.

johnnyblues
12-01-2008, 04:11 AM
Trade fodder, that's all.

mrspurs
12-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Setting him up for a trade. Or suckering the fans for their money. Either way Matt wont be playing come PO time. He'll be on the bench watching and cheering like most of the fans. And thanks so much 228, for whatever reason. MYSA.com didnt open this monan. And it was this article I was gonna read anyways. Like always keep up the great work.

benefactor
12-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Setting him up for a trade. Or suckering the fans for their money. Either way Matt wont be playing come PO time. He'll be on the bench watching and cheering like most of the fans. And thanks so much 228, for whatever reason. MYSA.com didnt open this monan. And it was this article I was gonna read anyways. Like always keep up the great work.

Notice how well this thread went. Everyone basically making comments without anyone having to copy and paste mickey mouse stats. (to defend their feelings). Cussing and making childish comments. And looks whos missing in this thread. Yeah you know who yall are. That should spell it out to ya. Be nice to have more interesting threads then those power posters who cant control their keyboards. Im always looking forward to threads like these. Chumps threads are helpful as well. Its nice to know where our center is playing and how hes playing.
http://agonist.org/schecter/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/hypocrite.jpg