PDA

View Full Version : Chu: Athletes Turn To Wide World Of Blogging

duncan228
11-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Athletes turn to wide world of blogging (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Athletes_turn_to_wide_world_of_blogging.html)
By Bryan Chu - Express-News

When he first came into the league in 1994, Phoenix Suns forward Grant Hill said no one really knew about the World Wide Web, let alone used it to their advantage.

Times have changed as professional athletes' Web sites and blogs are quickly surfacing.

“More and more guys will do it,” said Hill, who admits he isn't technologically savvy but has a Web site, granthill.com, to publicize his charities.

Marketing one's brand is a given, but more athletes are using these forums to speak out, instead of going through the traditional media of newspapers, television and radio.

Golden State Warriors guard Jamal Crawford, who blogged for Newsday while playing for the New York Knicks, is a perfect example.

On Oct. 16, New York Post writer Marc Berman posted a blog titled “Crawford Doesn't Want Marbury Around,” referring to embattled New York guard Stephon Marbury.

The story wasn't true.

Crawford confronted Berman and told him, “Well, now I'm going to have to write about you on my blog.”

He wrote: “In typical Berman fashion after he writes something like this, he doesn't come the next day ... LOL (laugh out loud). And Berman is actually a good guy, but I guess he needed something to write.”

Crawford's blog entry drew dozens of online comments from readers, many who commented on the role reversal of athletes blogging about writers.

“I would've had that built-up frustration,” said Crawford of how blogging helps him to vent. “It was fun to get it off my chest.

“I thought it was a great idea instead of just doing an interview. (Berman) writes so I can write as well. Some of my teammates thought it was cool.”

Major sporting events are hip to the times, too.

For the first time, the International Olympic Committee allowed athletes to blog during the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

Heat guard Dwyane Wade had a cameraman follow him around China for a video blog.

“I got a lot of great feedback, and even people in my family were actually following it too,” said Wade, who has a behind-the-scenes person run Dwyanewade3.com. “It takes the NBA to another level, and I think it gives me more exposure as well.”

Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas is one of the pioneering blog stars. His blog on NBA.com draws hundreds of comments per entry. Crawford got the idea to start his blog from Arenas.

Blogging has changed Arenas' life, especially when it deals with not having his words twisted by the media, Arenas said.

“You're hearing it straight from the athlete and not from a reporter who's ciphering through it and reading too much into it,” he said.

Breaking news now often comes from players themselves rather than through typical news outlets.

Arenas blogged that he was going to have his third knee surgery before the front office released the information to the media.

Tiger Woods broke the news he would have season-ending knee surgery on his Web site, tigerwoods.com.

International fans might have no other way to get their fix on their favorite players.

Manu Ginobili has a version of his blog in Spanish and English at manuginobili.com. On tp9.net, available in French, English and Spanish, Spurs guard Tony Parker answers weekly questions in a Q&A; he doesn't blog about his personal life, though.

“For me, I have enough with the paparazzi,” said Parker, who is married to actress Eva Longoria.

Finding time to blog amid a busy schedule is the hardest part. Athletes don't want to go too long without a post.

“Man, I'm behind on my blog,” said Heat forward Shawn Marion, whose Web site is matrix31.com. “I gotta update it. I want my fans to keep up with me and want more.”

Hornets center Tyson Chandler, whose Web site is tysonchandler.com, brings a laptop on the road with him and posts video blogs. When the team traveled to Europe during the preseason he posted a blog immediately after he landed.

“I want fans to experience like, ‘Man, they just landed, and I just saw him a second ago boarding a plane and now he's got a post up,'” he said. “That's the backstage pass fans don't get to see (otherwise).”

So how far can athlete blogs go? There's no governing body monitoring what athletes type.

And that's just the way they like it.

“You don't want it to be censored or (having) people playing it safe,” Chandler said. “Say what you feel. If you do that then you really don't care what the response (is) because you're speaking from the heart.”

Added Arenas: “Whatever that athlete is feeling at the time, there's always someone (who's) going to like it (and) someone's not going to like it.”

CHECK ’EM OUT

Here’s a look at some of the best — and some of the worst — %Web sites belonging to some NBA players.

Heat’s Dwyane Wade (dwyanewade3.com): The D-Wade channel makes this the best NBA video blog, period.

Wizards’ Gilbert Arenas (on NBA.com): Tells it how it is with good insight. Likes to break news on his blog.

Hornets’ Tyson Chandler (www.tysonchandler.com): All-around solid blog with text and photos. Consistent updates.

Spurs’ Tony Parker (TP9.net): Design hurts the eyes. Has link so you can write Parker and ask for an autographed photo; problem is, the address to send it to is in France.

Spurs’ Manu Ginobili (manuginobili.com): Sells Manu merchandise. You can buy an official breakfast mug for $14.

- Bryan Chu

CubanMustGo
12-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Then there's slamduncan.com and Timmay's twice-yearly blog updates :lol

duncan228
12-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Then there's slamduncan.com and Timmay's twice-yearly blog updates :lol

If we even get two a year. :lol

There's also been conversation about whether he even writes them. :lol

lurker23
12-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Good article. Obviously blogging isn't exactly new to the internet-savvy among us, but it's great that it's becoming a lot more mainstream among athletes. As the next generation enters the NBA (probably in the next 10 years or so), we should begin seeing an absolute boom in athlete blogs. Of course, the question is finding the right outlet for it. Stars have a fan base that's already set up, but unless the blogs are extremely exciting, who is going to go to DeSaganaDiop.com or KyryloFesenko.com on a regular basis?

mytespurs
12-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Is Manu's one of the best or one of the worst blogs? :hat

$14 for a mug? I love Manu but I'll pass on that item. :lol

E20
12-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Ahh-chu