PDA

View Full Version : Class move by the Redskins.

samikeyp
12-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Rivalry aside for the moment, hell of a nice thing they did. This is why I have respect for the Redskins franchise even though they are Dallas' biggest rival.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3735211

LANDOVER, Md. -- Announced one last time as the "starting free safety" for the Washington Redskins, Sean Taylor was inducted into the team's Ring of Fame before Sunday's game against the New York Giants.

With his mother, father, girlfriend and daughter huddled under umbrellas near the center of the field, Taylor's name was unveiled on the upper-level facade of FedEx Field, joining 42 other Redskins greats.

His father, Pedro Taylor, told the crowd that his son used to say of the fans: "When you guys make the stadium rock, he begins to rock."

"Right now," Pedro Taylor said, "Sean is rocking in heaven."

After the ceremony, the public address announcer said: "Starting at free safety for your Washington Redskins, No. 21, Sean Taylor."

Running back Clinton Portis, Taylor's close friend, then ran onto the field carrying a large burgundy flag with a gold No. 21.

"I think it was big for him and his family -- having his jersey retired," Portis said.

The game, won by the Giants 23-7, was the first following the one-year anniversary of Taylor's death. He was shot in his Florida home last Nov. 26 and died a day later.

"I don't think we were going to use this as an emotional rally," linebacker London Fletcher said. "'Let's go out and win this for Sean Taylor.' I don't think that was the mind-set. After that, it was time to go out there and play football."

Taylor's No. 21 was painted in burgundy on a white background at midfield, where the Redskins logo normally lies.

Bigzax
12-01-2008, 12:40 PM
thanks mike! :tu

God bless ST and his family...especially his daughter...

damn shame.

Obstructed_View
12-01-2008, 05:09 PM
It was a nice thing to do, but it's kind of whitewashing over his history with the team. But whatever his past, he was a kid that met an end that he didn't deserve at a time that he seemed to be turning it around, so maybe he'll be an example for someone else.

K-State Spur
12-01-2008, 06:33 PM
It was a nice thing to do, but it's kind of whitewashing over his history with the team. But whatever his past, he was a kid that met an end that he didn't deserve at a time that he seemed to be turning it around, so maybe he'll be an example for someone else.

None of his transgressions were major, and by ALL accounts - he had looked to have really turned the corner. He had settled down with his girlfriend and was focused on raising his little girl.

On the field, he was really getting it, and was easily the best safety in the NFC for the first half of last year.

Obstructed_View
12-01-2008, 07:40 PM
None of his transgressions were major, and by ALL accounts - he had looked to have really turned the corner. He had settled down with his girlfriend and was focused on raising his little girl.

On the field, he was really getting it, and was easily the best safety in the NFC for the first half of last year.

Yeah, I'm perfectly willing to accept that he'd turned his life around, but aggravated assault with a firearm is pretty fucking major. He was lucky to skate on that.

K-State Spur
12-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Yeah, I'm perfectly willing to accept that he'd turned his life around, but aggravated assault with a firearm is pretty fucking major. He was lucky to skate on that.

It appeared to be a real witch hunt. The prosecutor who was coming after him was pimping the case on his website where he moonlighted as a Miami Night Club DJ (you can't make that stuff up).

Obviously don't know what really happened there, but it's tough to take the DA office's word after that.

jack sommerset
12-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Taylor would have been a Hall Of Famer

ClingingMars
12-02-2008, 12:31 AM
it's great that they're honoring him, not too sure about the Ring of Honor. but then again, I'm no Skins fan.

-Mars

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-02-2008, 12:49 AM
Taylor would have been a Hall Of Famer

Probably not.

Obstructed_View
12-02-2008, 04:40 AM
It appeared to be a real witch hunt. The prosecutor who was coming after him was pimping the case on his website where he moonlighted as a Miami Night Club DJ (you can't make that stuff up).

Obviously don't know what really happened there, but it's tough to take the DA office's word after that.

I agree. It sure sounds like he was a victim of prosecutorial misconduct, but like I said, he was actually lucky it happened because it allowed him to skate on a felony charge that might have otherwise ended up requiring he serve time.

King
12-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Sean Taylor's legacy as a football player has grown exponentially since he died. If you look at a Skins board (extremeskins, specifically), they believe that he was one of the best players to ever play the game. Players, not safeties. He was pretty good. Period. Had flashes of greatness in a game or two. Had the potential to be great. But was merely pretty good.

Had he accomplished enough to be in the Ring of Honor? Probably not. Even John Riggins said so on his radio show, and there's not a bigger Skins homer than Riggins.

Nice gesture by the team, though. But the way he's been deified has been incredible.

MannyIsGod
12-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Public figure's image improves after death.

Movie at 11.

K-State Spur
12-02-2008, 10:23 AM
I think most Skins fans think he "would have" been one of the greatest. Not already was.

When you look at the list of safeties with his talent - it's Ronnie Lott, that's it. ST was built like some LBs, but covered better than most corners.

And for half a season last year, he finally showed the consistency that made him one of the best players in the game for that span. It really did look like he had turned the corner.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-02-2008, 11:46 AM
When you look at the list of safeties with his talent - it's Ronnie Lott, that's it. ST was built like some LBs, but covered better than most corners.

Joey Browner? Kenny Easley?

Let's not start talking crazy talk because the guy left the game, and life, before his time.

K-State Spur
12-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Joey Browner? Kenny Easley?

Let's not start talking crazy talk because the guy left the game, and life, before his time.

Easley was a beast, but he never played at much over 200 lbs.

Browner's probably a better comp.

I'm not talking crazy - there were a lot of scouts, analysts, etc that weren't Redskin fans that expressed the belief that Taylor was a once in a generation type talent.

And nobody's disputing that it took him a few years longer than it should have to put this talent together.

I think most people would agree that the best safety in the game right now is Bob Sanders. He's a game-changer. But if Bob Sanders is 1 on 1 deep with Randy Moss - that's a mismatch the Pats would look to exploit. That was not the case with Taylor.

Obstructed_View
12-02-2008, 01:10 PM
So ring of honor for half a season's work. Not bad if you can figure out a way not to have to die to get it.

K-State Spur
12-02-2008, 02:27 PM
So ring of honor for half a season's work. Not bad if you can figure out a way not to have to die to get it.

I don't think anybody will argue that it wouldn't have happened if he had just retired at that point. (By the way, he did provide more than a half season's worth of good play, it's just that he had truly taken his game to a new level in 2007.)

You always make a bigger deal out of guys who die while an active member the team/organization/group (whatever types of things you may be affiliated with).

Anti.Hero
12-02-2008, 02:31 PM
They should string his murderers up in the rafters.