PDA

View Full Version : Christmas game

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-01-2008, 11:46 AM
I know you guys all did a double take on this game when you looked at the Spurs' schedule before the season started, and I was pretty pumped for it until I saw both teams are headed in opposite directions. Here are the Suns games in between now and then:

@ New Orleans - This is an ugly loss which starts the Suns' first 3 game losing streak since the 2007 season
@ Dallas- 2nd of a back to back against a team figuring things out, Dallas wins big
Utah - They couldn't beat Utah w/o Okur and Williams, so I'm going to assume they lose this one. I know I sound like a fake Suns fan but can anyone show me any reason to believe this year's Suns can beat a premier west team? that's what I thought
Milwaukee - I think they will win this game, however the Harris Carter pwnage raises concern about what a Jefferson Redd 1-2 punch can do. If they lose this game say hello to this year' MIA Heat.
@ Lakers - They lose, 'nuff said. I don't like talking about LA
Orlando - They have always owned Orlando but this isn't the same Suns team. Orlando likes to run and D'antoni loved that, that's not the case with Porter. Orlando wins a close one because Barnes leaves Lewis open at a key moment.
New York - I'll be cheering for NY. D'antoni knows this team like Gruden knew the Raiders, and finds ways to frusrate Amare
@ Portlant - They always beat Portland, so I think they win. Idk why, but they always own Portland.
Denver - They own Portland and Billups owns Nash, Denver wins big and JR Smith and Billups combine for > 40 points

so entering they game I think the Suns will be 13-14. Sounds really pessimistic but take a close look at the schedule and you'll see their record is fool's gold as Jon Barry said.

San Antonio's upcoming games:

Detroit - Detroit is floundering these days, SA wins unless Sheed plays perfect
@ Denver - I think Denver wins this, they're on a role right now.
Golden State - Horrible team, SA wins big
@ Dallas - They want to avenge their embarrassing loss a few weeks ago and manage to pull this out
Atlanta - This is a tough one but SA is at home and ATL has come back down to earth since JJ isn't shooting the lights out as much. SA wins because Duncan keeps Horford in foul trouble.
@ Minnesota - They add to their winning streak and start building some momentum
OKC Thunder - No analysis needed
@ New Orleans - I think New Orleans wins. They're in NO and up until game 7 last year it was a case of who was at home. SA does have better personnel to deal with this team but New Orleans is gonna want it more than SA, Popovich isn't gonna play his starters more just to win this game when he knows they'll beat New Orleans in the playoffs.
@ Orlando - back end of a back to back, on the road against a very young athletic team, always spells trouble for SA and nothing Popovich really cares about improving. Orlando wins.
Toronto - Bosh can give them problems, but so can Amare so Pop will probably just let Bosh score 35-40 and shut the rest of that team down.
Sacramento - ordinary win nothing to really be said
Minnesota - back end of a B2B but I think they'll win this one just cause Minny is that bad.

So going into the Christmas game, I say they're 18-10 (assuming my math is right) because of a relatively easy December schedule and because they have a younger deeper bench which will allow them to play better in December than they normally do.

So going into the game, it's the 13-14 Suns versus the 18-10 Spurs if my predictions are right

I guess at this point it's a pretty good guess who I think wins the Christmas game, but it's really just a case of a way better team with a way better coach. After seeing what Vince and Harris did to this team and what Parker and Manu have always done, this could get ugly. I wouldn't be surprised if by this game the Suns have given up completely. It's really sad my 2004-2008 Phoenix Suns have vanished this quickly and that I know a few horrible years are ahead, but oh well. My Duncan jersey that's been in hiding since 2003 might make an appearance when the Suns are completely out of it and it's Suns versus Spurs. In the mean time, I HOPE I'M WRONG!!!! GO SUNS!!! BEAT THE SAN ANTONIO "STERNS"!!!

So what are everyone else's thoughts on what the story will be leading up to the game and who you think will win the game? I know I sound like an anti-Suns fan but I know what I'm watching every night and it's not playoff basketball.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-01-2008, 04:39 PM
anyone....I really don't want that whole thing to go to waste lol.

Lakers_55
12-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Who hosts it? Edge to homecourt. The big Christmas game is Lakers vs. Celtics, but I'll watch both. :)

honestfool84
12-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Who hosts it? Edge to homecourt. The big Christmas game is Lakers vs. Celtics, but I'll watch both. :)

they would make the lakers vs celtics rematch.

Lakers_55
12-23-2008, 11:26 PM
anyone....I really don't want that whole thing to go to waste lol.

I remember this thread. Looking at it again, it is an interesting read. Too bad it didn't get more replies, so I am reviving it for you. You got the Spurs record at 18-10 correct, just missed a few results. Phoenix is doing a bit better than you expected.

I didn't know who hosted the game when I posted above. Now I know it's in AZ. So, I'll just call the game even! Both want it, and it's Christmas.

Merry Christmas to everyone who reads this line!

tonylongoriafan
12-23-2008, 11:30 PM
Merry Christmas to everyone who reads this line!

thank you for not saying happy holidays...same to you!

pawe
12-24-2008, 12:33 AM
thank you for not saying happy holidays...same to you!

a big fuck you to the people trying hard to be politically correct. I went to ihop this morning and the people there wont even touch christmas with a 10 foot pole.

-Spurs will avenge the season opening loss and will make the big cactus bitch and whine again about the hack-a-shaq.

Chieflion
12-24-2008, 12:44 AM
a big fuck you to the people trying hard to be politically correct. I went to ihop this morning and the people there wont even touch christmas with a 10 foot pole.

-Spurs will avenge the season opening loss and will make the big cactus bitch and whine again about the hack-a-shaq.

He can whine all he likes when he misses his 5000th free throw against the Spurs.

raspsa
12-24-2008, 12:54 AM
Once in a while I drop by one of the Suns' forums and in the thread discussing the coming X'mas day game, I saw that a lot of posters are discussing Matt Bonner and the positive impact he's had on the Spurs. The consensus seemed to be that Bonner is someone to lookout for as he makes the SPurs tougher to beat along with Mason. They also seem to think that a Richardson vs Finley matchup is one they should exploit. Should be an interesting game.

TDMVPDPOY
12-24-2008, 01:26 AM
i hope pop opens the game with a flagrant foul again on shaq hahahaha

ClingingMars
12-24-2008, 02:26 AM
Damn, looking back DOK was almost dead on with the Spurs. of course, pessimistic with his own team, but we often are sometimes.

also, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

-Mars

mrspurs
12-24-2008, 07:49 AM
Well I aint gonna look at our upcoming schedule because it doesnt look to good. Im gonna take it one game at a time. And hope no matter what we continue to improve our younger guys like Roger, Matt and AT. If we plan on going anywhere in the POs, those guys will need to know the system inside out. As for the older guys like Bruce,Ime and Finley. I know they will be there once PO time comes. Other then Bruce, thats why I hope our younger guys improve. Ime and Finley aint gonna scare noone in POs again. And because they know the system inside and out, I have a feeling Pop would use them more.