PDA

View Full Version : Official UFC 92 Fight Thread!!

Pages : 1 [2]

djohn14
12-28-2008, 02:34 PM
That Kongo fight went too long i thought. IT was painfully brutal GNP..

Yea, I was waiting for the ref to call it...and i waited and waited...I was getting worried.

Evan
12-28-2008, 02:34 PM
That Kongo fight went too long i thought. IT was painfully brutal GNP..

The sound was the most brutal part....sounded like he was pounding wet steaks.

djohn14
12-28-2008, 02:49 PM

Steaks, really. To me it sounded like TURKey.

dbreiden83080
12-28-2008, 03:06 PM

Yea, I was waiting for the ref to call it...and i waited and waited...I was getting worried.

Unfortunately, that kind of brutality, still gives ammo to the haters of our sport. I mean Kongo messed him up something awful..

desflood
12-28-2008, 03:14 PM
I read somewhere this morning (now I can't find it again) that Dana White was a bit angry about that. He made a statement about Mazzagatti, "He's a nice guy, but he's not a ref." There might be some consequences for Steve regarding that fight.

djohn14
12-28-2008, 03:24 PM
I read somewhere this morning (now I can't find it again) that Dana White was a bit angry about that. He made a statement about Mazzagatti, "He's a nice guy, but he's not a ref." There might be some consequences for Steve regarding that fight.

Well, its good Dana is taking notice.

During the post-fight press conference for UFC 92, UFC President Dana White announced the attendance and gate figures for last night's show:

Attendance: 14,103

Live Gate: $3.47 million

UFC 92's live gate now ranks fifth all-time behind UFC 66, 91, 71, & 84.

Credit: mmajunkie.com

Evan
12-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Steaks, really. To me it sounded like TURKey.

dawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :bang

(stolen from bloodyelbow)

W17QHpSJDKo

Cheick Kongo leg-kicking Paul Kelly in a Las Vegas department store. This is the clip that's been cracking Dana White up in his last few video blogs.

I have seen this a dozen times and it cracks me up....

dbreiden83080
12-28-2008, 03:37 PM

Mazzagatti is an okay ref but It's one of those fine lines between stopping it too quick like Herb Dean has done in the past or letting it go way too long. When a guy as huge and powerful as Kongo is reigning down blows on you, like that it has to be stopped sooner. He could have done permanant damage..

Evan
12-28-2008, 03:40 PM

Big John got a lotta love from the UFC last night during the broadcast.

dbreiden83080
12-28-2008, 03:46 PM
You guys catch the sour look on Chucks face after the Page Win?? Guess he was rooting for Wandy. Speaking of which what's next for him?? That's 2 losses in 3 ufc fights and 4 of his last 5..

dbreiden83080
12-28-2008, 03:50 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/12/27/rampage_500.jpg

Avitus1
12-28-2008, 04:28 PM
That was such a good card.

ATRAIN
12-28-2008, 04:56 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/12/27/rampage_500.jpg

yeah I saw chuck being a little bitch over there. He beat you chuck quit crying!!

dbreiden83080
12-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Mike Goldberg fucks up again

"Same punch that knocked out Chuck Liddell"

Rogan

"No that was a right hook"

LOL, Goldberg

ATRAIN
12-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Did you hear Joe Rogan when they were commenting on Hammel's corner guy throwing all those F Bombs?

Rogan " he must take lessons from Dana" hahahahahha

That shit was soooo funny.

dbreiden83080
12-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Speaking of Hammill, all he needs is more technical striking and with his power and wrestling he will be a beast at 205.. He is still raw, but he looked awesome in that 2nd RD last night..

ATRAIN
12-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Speaking of Hammill, all he needs is more technical striking and with his power and wrestling he will be a beast at 205.. He is still raw, but he looked awesome in that 2nd RD last night..

He seemed too timid. He needs to be a bit more explosive. He wasnt even worried about his wrestling which is odd. He is supposed to be this bad ass wrestler and I havent seen him use it in 3 fights. Guess he wants to be known as a striker so others can try to shoot him.

dbreiden83080
12-28-2008, 05:29 PM
He was timid in the first, by the 2nd he was blasting away with body shots and overhand rights. His corner told him to let his hands go and he did. He was also facing another wrestler so, standing was the plan i guess. Matt can be a beast, he just needs more fights. He fought Rich way too soon..

ATRAIN
12-28-2008, 05:34 PM
He was timid in the first, by the 2nd he was blasting away with body shots and overhand rights. His corner told him to let his hands go and he did. He was also facing another wrestler so, standing was the plan i guess. Matt can be a beast, he just needs more fights. He fought Rich way too soon..

Yeah he was more relaxed 2nd round but he could have finished in the first for sure.

dallaskd
12-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Rashad will lose in his first belt defense. I don't care who he fights.

ATRAIN
12-28-2008, 06:20 PM

LMAO........uhh yeah ok.

dbreiden83080
12-28-2008, 06:35 PM

LOL

What??:lmao

dbreiden83080
12-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Page said "He wanted to fight Forrest next to avenge the loss" even more than another title shot. I thought that was interesting, damn you Forrest for not taking care of business and it would have been for the belt anyway..:bang

Rohirrim
12-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Finally saw 92.

WTF Nog. You looked 50 out there.

dbreiden83080
12-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Finally saw 92.

WTF Nog. You looked 50 out there.

And then some.. Wandy was at least in the fight before that left hook from hell was unleashed by Page.. Some are whining that Nog was not out, (bad stoppage) he always recovers and you can't use that argument in this fight. He was getting smoked, bell to bell.. Like Wandy all that damage has caught up to him..

Rohirrim
12-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Forrest is great when he is the underdog and takes the punishment 90% of the fight then out-endures his opponent for the win.

Aside from his leg kicks and some jabs he didn't really "dominate the rounds"
imho.

Rashad is quick, strong, and has strong heart. I'm glad he won. Once he started dancing around after that one savage exchange from Forrest in the 2nd you can't help but LOL :lol:toast

polandprzem
12-29-2008, 03:52 AM
The fight I would like to see is Forest vs Franklin

angelbelow
12-29-2008, 04:43 AM
after digesting for a day, i still thought the nog fight was called too fast, ESP comparing it to kongo or rashad's fights.

polandprzem
12-29-2008, 05:21 AM
after digesting for a day, i still thought the nog fight was called too fast, ESP comparing it to kongo or rashad's fights.

I can't remember fight stopped that fast in Prode fights.

btw. Old "priders" do not have all weapons in UFC that thay had in Pride. esp. the knees on the ground or soccer kicks. Wand and Shogun are not very happy about that.

robbie380
12-29-2008, 08:35 AM

well they could have let it go a few seconds longer but is there any denying that nog was completely beaten down in that fight? mir was not going to the ground with nog and nog couldn't even stand up after that final exchange. so basically you would have had mir back off again and the ref tell nog to stand up and the ref would have called it when nog couldn't get up in time or when he was wobbling back and forth when he did stand up. if he didn't call it at that point nog was really going to get his brains blasted. he looked horrible and mir dominated.

LEONARD
12-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Painful to see 2 legends lose like that.

Wand needs to move to MW now...he's not "done"...that punch would've KO'd just about anybody. He can still take a good shot (fight with Chuck, violent sparring sessions with Forrest, etc)...

Nog...who knows. He looked like he was in molasses...

Rashad vs Rampage next? Or do they wait for the winner of Machida/Silva?

I want Hardonk vs Barry...battle of the legkicks!

Forrest Griffin vs. Rashad Evans - TKO
Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Frank Mir
Quinton Jackson vs. Wanderlei Silva
C.B. Dollaway vs. Mike Massenzio - upset
Cheick Kongo vs. Mustafa Al Turk

Preliminary card
Yushin Okami vs. Dean Lister
Antoni Hardonk vs. Mike Wessel
Matt Hamill vs. Reese Andy
Brad Blackburn vs. Ryo Chonan - upset
Dan Evensen vs. Pat Barry - violent KO

7/10...not bad...

Massenzio was so close...still not sure why he appeared to just give up though? Weird.

sa_butta
12-29-2008, 11:12 AM
So who fights Rashad....No Chuck, no Jardine, no Silva, no Forrest, IMO it shouldnt but probably will be Rampage. I think it should be the winner of Machida-Thiago Silva.
Winner of Machida vs Thiago Silva should face Rampage, then give that winner a title shot.

djohn14
12-29-2008, 12:51 PM
I just watched the Kongo/Al Turk fight again to see if I could justify why it lasted as long as it did...and it really pissed me off what I saw. Im as big a Kongo fan you can find and I love to see him tear into people....but Damn. I knew it lasted long, but you need take another look at it. What the hell was Maz thinking. He should have to pay Al Turk for his hospital bill, and give him his pay, because that is bullshit. He is lucky Al Turk turned out ok, because he took way too much punishment.

angelbelow
12-29-2008, 02:15 PM
well they could have let it go a few seconds longer but is there any denying that nog was completely beaten down in that fight? mir was not going to the ground with nog and nog couldn't even stand up after that final exchange. so basically you would have had mir back off again and the ref tell nog to stand up and the ref would have called it when nog couldn't get up in time or when he was wobbling back and forth when he did stand up. if he didn't call it at that point nog was really going to get his brains blasted. he looked horrible and mir dominated.

perhaps its my history of watching nog fights, but yes he was losing, and yes he was getting knocked down, but that didnt mean he couldnt pull another victory out of nowhere. this is a guy that couldnt get knocked out by fedor, slyvia, cro cop, etc.

yea im a nog fan but i dont have blinders on, he was clearing losing and he did look old and slow, maybe he is getting too old. but with herb deans reputation and all, i thought the fight was stopped too soon.

tlongII
12-29-2008, 03:58 PM
The question I want answered is "How good is Rashad Evans?". I think he is awesome. I realize he takes a round or two off, but he has amazing power and he never seems to get hit!

LEONARD
12-31-2008, 12:48 PM
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/123008rampage/1016.jpg

http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/123008rampage/1015.jpg

http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/123008rampage/1019.jpg

dallaskd
12-31-2008, 02:30 PM
LMAO........uhh yeah ok.

Rampage, Machida...any match-up is a bad one for him. Forrest was winning that entire fight.

djohn14
12-31-2008, 03:31 PM
Rampage, Machida...any match-up is a bad one for him. Forrest was winning that entire fight.

Was Forrset winning it? Yes, but Rashad didnt even go after him really, and he didnt use his wrestling skills. Obviously is was as painful for you to see Rashad beat Forrest as it was for me to see him beat Chuck, but you have to let it go.

dallaskd
12-31-2008, 07:02 PM
Was Forrset winning it? Yes, but Rashad didnt even go after him really, and he didnt use his wrestling skills. Obviously is was as painful for you to see Rashad beat Forrest as it was for me to see him beat Chuck, but you have to let it go.

I don't know what your saying. Why do you think it is a crazy thought that Rashad won't be able to beat Rampage, Machida, Shogun...who ever is next.

djohn14
12-31-2008, 07:36 PM
I don't know what your saying. Why do you think it is a crazy thought that Rashad won't be able to beat Rampage, Machida, Shogun...who ever is next.

Im not saying that...but I think your saying Rashad got lucky, and Im defending that. If not, my apologise.

dbreiden83080
01-01-2009, 12:33 PM

Big Difference between this statement

And this one.

And yes i agree he'd lose to those guys and yes Forrest was winning that fight. I was really dissapointed by the outcome, plus Forrest broke his hand, which is just so unlucky for him..

tlongII
01-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Rashad will beat anybody at 205 right now. I guarantee it. With the possible exception of Anderson Silva. The Spider is the only guy that could beat him, imo.

dbreiden83080
01-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Rashad will beat anybody at 205 right now. I guarantee it. With the possible exception of Anderson Silva. The Spider is the only guy that could beat him, imo.

He hasn't shown himself to be a dominant fighter at 205.. I really feel he has gotten lucky to be honest with you. I don't know if you saw his fight with Tito but he looked awful in that fight. Got outwrestled and outstruck, and Tito is a mediocre striker at best. If Tito had not lost a pt for holding the fence in RD 2, he would have lost that fight instead of getting a draw. Then he fought Bisping and looked just as bad. Not dominant in any fashion of the game, got a SD win, then Bisping drops down to 185..

He beat Chuck when lets face it, Chuck is just not himself anymore. After losing the first rd he lands that huge haymaker for the win. He was getting schooled in there with Forrest. Forrest really turned up the pace in RD 2, and the fight was going the way i thought it would go. Forrest being alusive, using angles, Rashad not really able to find him. But Forrest as we now know, broke his hand in the 2nd RD, and then Evans got that big punch in there. I'm not sayng he isn't a damn good fighter but he is not great from what i see. Rashad is basically a good wrestler, with KO power and is pretty elusive. He's a terrible starter, takes him forever to get going, we don't know much about his conditioning yet and he hasn't beat enough top guys IMO.. He's likely fighting Page, if he KO's Page, who is maybe on his way to being the best 205er of all time, i will give the man his due..

Rant over.. :lol

dallaskd
01-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Im not saying that...but I think your saying Rashad got lucky, and Im defending that. If not, my apologise.

when did i ever say the word lucky...

all i said was he is going to lose his next fight, whether it is Machida or Rampage

desflood
01-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Dana White has come out now saying that Nogueira was recovering from Staph going into his fight with Mir. That might have been a contributing factor in how sluggish he looked that night.

Not to take the victory away from Frank. He looked great.

djohn14
01-02-2009, 10:34 AM
when did i ever say the word lucky...

all i said was he is going to lose his next fight, whether it is Machida or Rampage

Im not saying you said it. Just to me...it seems as if you are implying he got lucky. I could be completely wrong here. I agree with you that he would lost to Rampage, but I think he could beat Machida. I could be completely wrong here.

Evan
01-02-2009, 10:36 AM

I don't think Rashad will hold the belt long.

dbreiden83080
01-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Dana White has come out now saying that Nogueira was recovering from Staph going into his fight with Mir. That might have been a contributing factor in how sluggish he looked that night.

Interesting if true.. Nog looked awful..

LEONARD
01-02-2009, 04:19 PM

It would make sense...I don't know WTF that was that we saw from Nog...

dbreiden83080
01-02-2009, 04:23 PM
It would make sense...I don't know WTF that was that we saw from Nog...

I don't think it was just that. I mean it took him a while to get going with Herring and Tim. But Mir just was all over him from bell to bell..

dbreiden83080
01-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Was Forrset winning it? Yes, but Rashad didnt even go after him really, and he didnt use his wrestling skills.

That's the thing with Rashad, he rarely goes after anyone.. He waits forever to get going and you have to think it is going to come back and bite him at some point..

LEONARD
01-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Wanderlei wants Chuck again, then maybe to MW...

"It’s my normal weight," he says of the light heavyweight class. "I never cut down too much weight for a fight. Maybe I go to fight one more time at light heavyweight, and after I go down."

To Silva, the fight that makes the most sense is a rematch with Chuck Liddell, who gave him a three-round slugfest at UFC 79. He lost the decision, but feels they put on another fight of the year.

"I am thinking I want to fight Chuck again," says Silva. "I want to fight with him again because I had a good match with him, and his style is a good style for me, and my style is good for him. It’s good for the show. Maybe it’s good for Dana."

dbreiden83080
01-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Man Wandy would look Tiny at MW but that might be the best option for him. Chuck said the other day "He wanted Wandy to win so he could fight him again" but now that he lost he doesn't..

LEONARD
01-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Man Wandy would look Tiny at MW

He looks tiny at LHW...

He would look bigger at MW, relative to his competition...he's a true MW (ie, walks at 205-210 lbs).

dbreiden83080
01-05-2009, 01:41 PM
He looks tiny at LHW...

He would look bigger at MW, relative to his competition...he's a true MW (ie, walks at 205-210 lbs).

I just meant from looking at him all these years at 205, it's hard to see him dropping 20 pds (Visually) but yes he can do it pretty easy..

LEONARD
01-05-2009, 01:52 PM
He probably wouldn't look much different for the fight...mostly cutting water, but a little less bulky too. Would be interesting to see...

angelbelow
01-05-2009, 08:34 PM
He hasn't shown himself to be a dominant fighter at 205.. I really feel he has gotten lucky to be honest with you. I don't know if you saw his fight with Tito but he looked awful in that fight. Got outwrestled and outstruck, and Tito is a mediocre striker at best. If Tito had not lost a pt for holding the fence in RD 2, he would have lost that fight instead of getting a draw. Then he fought Bisping and looked just as bad. Not dominant in any fashion of the game, got a SD win, then Bisping drops down to 185..

He beat Chuck when lets face it, Chuck is just not himself anymore. After losing the first rd he lands that huge haymaker for the win. He was getting schooled in there with Forrest. Forrest really turned up the pace in RD 2, and the fight was going the way i thought it would go. Forrest being alusive, using angles, Rashad not really able to find him. But Forrest as we now know, broke his hand in the 2nd RD, and then Evans got that big punch in there. I'm not sayng he isn't a damn good fighter but he is not great from what i see. Rashad is basically a good wrestler, with KO power and is pretty elusive. He's a terrible starter, takes him forever to get going, we don't know much about his conditioning yet and he hasn't beat enough top guys IMO.. He's likely fighting Page, if he KO's Page, who is maybe on his way to being the best 205er of all time, i will give the man his due..

Rant over.. :lol

i feel the same way, hes got scary knockout power but forrest was winning until that point.

Evan
01-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Dana

"I don't want to get into numbers too much—that's our policy. But it crushed it. I'll say this: The Christmas show crushed the Lesnar fight by 150,000-175,000 buys."

If this is true...wow

desflood
01-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Wow is right, that's pretty big.

I expect the numbers for Rush/Penn are going to be similar.

tlongII
01-09-2009, 10:31 AM
I think the key to big numbers is having multiple mega-fights. That show had 3 huge matchups.

angelbelow
01-10-2009, 03:45 AM
yea it was so big we actually planned an event and ordered it. usually i stream online or wait until after the event is over but 92 was just too huge in terms of matchups.