PDA

View Full Version : Denver's Karl, Smith Don't Speak

RiverwalkParade
12-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Any chance we get this done this year? We can send Bonner and Vaughn for him. That gives Denver an expiring at the end of the year and a 4 with range.

Do we care given the success of Mason and Hill? Your thoughts.

Nuggets coach George Karl and J.R. Smith have had their share of issues since the guard joined the team in 2006, and they apparently aren't on speaking terms.

"We never talk," Smith said. "I wish (the two could). You never want to not even talk to your coach."

Smith was benched last Wednesday against the Clippers because Karl said he was "extremely late" to a practice, and he played just seven scoreless minutes Saturday at Minnesota.

"J.R. is a good-bad player, and we're trying to take the bad out and magnify the good," Karl said after using Smith for 30 minutes against the Rockets on Sunday. "For me, there's, as the game goes on, there's a lot of ways I can try to win them.

"And consistency, defense and a positive, good attitude would keep him on the court. But I don't think he gives us always those three every night we play. Some nights I'll tolerate his bad and some nights I'm probably going to go someplace else."

Via Rocky Mountain News

Denver's Karl, Smith Don't Speak

T Park
12-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Any chance we get this done this year? We can send Bonner and Vaughn for him. That gives Denver an expiring at the end of the year and a 4 with range.

Do we care given the success of Mason and Hill? Your thoughts.

Nuggets coach George Karl and J.R. Smith have had their share of issues since the guard joined the team in 2006, and they apparently aren't on speaking terms.

"We never talk," Smith said. "I wish (the two could). You never want to not even talk to your coach."

Smith was benched last Wednesday against the Clippers because Karl said he was "extremely late" to a practice, and he played just seven scoreless minutes Saturday at Minnesota.

"J.R. is a good-bad player, and we're trying to take the bad out and magnify the good," Karl said after using Smith for 30 minutes against the Rockets on Sunday. "For me, there's, as the game goes on, there's a lot of ways I can try to win them.

"And consistency, defense and a positive, good attitude would keep him on the court. But I don't think he gives us always those three every night we play. Some nights I'll tolerate his bad and some nights I'm probably going to go someplace else."

Via Rocky Mountain News

Denver's Karl, Smith Don't Speak

:bang :bang :bang

Spursreport

take back your posters please.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-01-2008, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't have minded seeing Smith come here in the offseason, but at this point any trade the Spurs make needs to be focused on improving their big man rotation.

ambchang
12-01-2008, 02:28 PM
I never liked JR Smith with his poisonous attitude, and below average basketball IQ. When are people going to learn that ability to score != ability to win?

benefactor
12-01-2008, 02:30 PM
I would like a logical explanation as to why anyone thinks we need more back court players.

Obstructed_View
12-01-2008, 03:36 PM
A guy who's inconsistent, doesn't play defense, doesn't have a positive attitude, and shows up late? When can we sign him??

sribb43
12-01-2008, 03:40 PM
JR Smith is terrible...worst shot selection in the league, No D, no respect for his coaches....

SenorSpur
12-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Now that we have RMJ, there's no need for Smith.

sonic21
12-01-2008, 03:54 PM
i never understood why some spurs fan wanted him this summer.

Dr. Gonzo
12-01-2008, 03:55 PM
A trade involving Bonner and Vaughn? Why hasn't anyone thought of that before. It's brilliant.

wildbill2u
12-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Wasn't he run out of New Orleans because of attitude problems? Am I thinking of the right (or wrong) guy?

DROB4EVER
12-01-2008, 04:43 PM
If he can play the 3 I would give him a shot, but lets face it our biggest problem is at the Center spot and no way Denver hands him to a western Conf team unless they give up some good picks for him.

Karl has never been able to handle guys with any issues, hes a poor coach that tends to look to blame players for his failures.

Tully365
12-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Byron Scott didn't talk to him either. JR Smith is a child and a malcontent.

wildbill2u
12-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Byron Scott didn't talk to him either. JR Smith is a child and a malcontent.

When Byron Scott cut him loose, I knew George wouldn't take him on his own. He's old school and wouldn't want a player with issues and attitude. Bet That was a front office decision like Iverson.

MrChug
12-01-2008, 07:44 PM
:bang :bang :bang

Spursreport

take back your posters please.

:lol

galvatron3000
12-01-2008, 08:04 PM
he should have signed elsewhere, old school coaches can't help guys like him, atleast the gguy wants to talk he just doesn't uderstand how to go about it. These guys need certain types to guide them early in their career and he needs to be on a more veteran type team. I'm tired of all the criticism these guys aren't the end of the world just lack the guidance you got at the right level of maturity. Get hime to a surrounding where he can grow, Karl couldn't get along with Ray Allen

jack sommerset
12-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Folks just can't grasp Bonner is not going anywhere unless he is a throw in for Mangoo or Parker trade. Sad

angelbelow
12-01-2008, 09:20 PM
a big pass, although i wanted him over the summer.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-01-2008, 09:35 PM
JR can flat out BALL, but he's an idiot with a bad attitude. I really hope he matures soon because once he does (and I think he will, he just needs the lightswitch to go on in his head that basketball is a team game) he'll be a stud, and my DL II team needs him! :lol

As for trading for him, Money Mason has made JR redundant... he is like the anti-JR, smart, fearless, and team-oriented, but with the same killer long ball. I love Roger Mason (he's a consummate Spur, a perfect fit) and hope he retires in a Spurs uniform.

exstatic
12-01-2008, 10:01 PM
JR can flat out BALL, but he's an idiot with a bad attitude. I really hope he matures soon because once he does (and I think he will, he just needs the lightswitch to go on in his head that basketball is a team game) he'll be a stud, and my DL II team needs him! :lol

As for trading for him, Money Mason has made JR redundant... he is like the anti-JR, smart, fearless, and team-oriented, but with the same killer long ball. I love Roger Mason (he's a consummate Spur, a perfect fit) and hope he retires in a Spurs uniform.

The long ball is about the only thing that RMJ has made unnecessary. Imagine putting RMJ and Hill into a blender, and stretching them to 6'6" with a 40" vertical. That's Smith. I don't think he's a bad guy, just monumentally immature. Oh the one hand, he was blessed to go down the Kobe-level talent assembly line. On the other hand, his next trip was down the Stephen Jackson brain assembly line. Talk about mixed blessings. :lol

The Truth #6
12-01-2008, 10:07 PM
George Karl is a cancer in his own right. Bad attitude, inconsistent? That could just as easily apply to Karl. That said, JR does need to mature, and maybe Billups can be a better mentor than Carmelo.

Armando
12-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Why? If he is not even talking to Karl what makes you think it will be any better with a hard nosed coach like Pop?

Indazone
12-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Spurs can always pick up Stromile Swift :toast

mrspurs
12-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Now that we have RMJ, there's no need for Smith.

Winner

exstatic
12-02-2008, 12:24 AM
George Karl is a cancer in his own right. Bad attitude, inconsistent? That could apply as easily apply to Karl. That said, JR does need to mature, and maybe Billups can be a better mentor than Carmelo.

Why? If he is not even talking to Karl what makes you think it will be any better with a hard nosed coach like Pop?

See the quote above yours, Armando. Pop is hardnosed, but fair. Karl throws his players under the bus to the press on a daily basis. He's no fucking prize.

timtonymanu
12-02-2008, 04:59 AM
We dont need Marbury or Smith. We got Mason and Hill.

Marbury/Smith < Mason/Hill

Rogue
12-02-2008, 08:39 AM
It should we a great bargain if we can trade vaughn and bonner for him, but I'll never feel it a equal-trade if we lose either mason or hill for him. Smith may do something good for us, but what marbury can do is just something as bad as sh!t. I'll never say yes to marbury unless he gave our team 22m per year.