PDA

View Full Version : Will Colt Screw Texas?

tonylongoriafan
12-01-2008, 02:24 PM
we all know what the bcs has done to longhorn nation...the question is will colt mccoy eff things up even more by turning pro?

he's gonna turn in the papers to get evaluated but if he wins the hiesman, his stock can't get any higher. plus, we all know he takes some big hits, so why stay?

the question stands...if he declares, how bad will it be without colt mccoy next season...seriously, john chiles? dude can run, is about the nicest thing i can say about him.

FromWayDowntown
12-01-2008, 02:31 PM
I thought the decision had as much to do with the likelihood that the NFL's next collective bargaining agreement will include a rookie salary and bonus scale like the NBA's, and that boatloads of players are going to consider the jump now if the imposition of such a scale would cost them millions.

Blake
12-01-2008, 02:41 PM
I thought the decision had as much to do with the likelihood that the NFL's next collective bargaining agreement will include a rookie salary and bonus scale like the NBA's, and that boatloads of players are going to consider the jump now if the imposition of such a scale would cost them millions.

exactly. I don't think Colt is trying to "screw Texas".

He has to make sure he won't get "screwed" by the new agreement.

tonylongoriafan
12-01-2008, 02:44 PM
maybe he's not trying to screw texas by protecting himself...

...but my question stands: WILL TEXAS GET SCREWED BY HIM LEAVING?

ATRAIN
12-01-2008, 02:45 PM
I dont think Colt's stock is all that high yet and a lot of teams have good QB's. I dont see it being a QB heavy draft this year but thats just me.

I Love Me Some Me
12-01-2008, 02:49 PM
I dont think Colt's stock is all that high yet and a lot of teams have good QB's. I dont see it being a QB heavy draft this year but thats just me.

We disagree.

Sincerely,
The Detroit Lions, the Kansas City Chiefs, and the St. Louis Rams

doobs
12-01-2008, 02:52 PM
We disagree.

Sincerely,

Co-signed,

The San Francisco 49ers

tonylongoriafan
12-01-2008, 02:54 PM
We disagree.

Sincerely,

don't forget baltimore, miami, chicago, minnesota, and a handful of other teams

ATRAIN
12-01-2008, 02:55 PM
We disagree.

Sincerely,

LOL dude those teams need a lot more than a QB IMO. I dont think the Rams are giving up on Bulger. The Lions gave Pepper some money so they might use keep him around next year. Chiefs ok I see that but that line needs some help. PLUS Matt Cassel is making a case for himself this year.

MajorMike
12-01-2008, 02:57 PM
He is so gone.

ATRAIN
12-01-2008, 02:59 PM
don't forget baltimore, miami, chicago, minnesota, and a handful of other teams

Baltimore gave Flacco a lot of money last year and he is doing ok. Miami has been good this year with Penn and that wildcat off. Orton in Chitown was good until he got hurt and Minn is fine with Ferotte.

tonylongoriafan

so what's his motivation to come back? in all likelihood oklahoma wins the national title. Colt McCoy almost single-handedly beat them in the same season...if he wins the hiesman or is in the top 2, i think he's got nothing left to prove. does a shot at a conference title and legit national title outwiegh the possibility of getting injured? plus his long time buddy j-ship will be leaving...it's hard to ask the guy to say, isn't it?

I Love Me Some Me
LOL dude those teams need a lot more than a QB IMO. I dont think the Rams are giving up on Bulger. The Lions gave Pepper some money so they might use keep him around next year. Chiefs ok I see that but that line needs some help. PLUS Matt Cassel is making a case for himself this year.

Maybe, but I'd guess Culpepper's money isn't guaranteed and they'd drop him in a heartbeat for either Colt, Bradford, Chase Daniel, or Tim Tebow. Maybe the Rams don't give up on Bulger, but it'd sure be nice to have one of those 4tutor under him for a year or two. Matt Cassel will be a free agent and will get to choose who he plays for, instead of the other way around. Those teams don't have a shot at him. He'll be an Eagle next year.

ATRAIN
12-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Co-signed,

The San Francisco 49ers

I can see that but like the other teams they need a lot of help.

ATRAIN
12-01-2008, 03:03 PM
so what's his motivation to come back? in all likelihood oklahoma wins the national title. Colt McCoy almost single-handedly beat them in the same season...if he wins the hiesman or is in the top 2, i think he's got nothing left to prove. does a shot at a conference title and legit national title outwiegh the possibility of getting injured? plus his long time buddy j-ship will be leaving...it's hard to ask the guy to say, isn't it?

LOL he wont win the heisman.

ATRAIN
12-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Maybe, but I'd guess Culpepper's money isn't guaranteed and they'd drop him in a heartbeat for either Colt, Bradford, Chase Daniel, or Tim Tebow. Maybe the Rams don't give up on Bulger, but it'd sure be nice to have one of those 4tutor under him for a year or two. Matt Cassel will be a free agent and will get to choose who he plays for, instead of the other way around. Those teams don't have a shot at him. He'll be an Eagle next year.

I honestly see Colt going behind all of those guys in the draft for some reason so that would drop him to the 2nd or 3rd round.

tonylongoriafan
12-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Baltimore gave Flacco a lot of money last year and he is doing ok. Miami has been good this year with Penn and that wildcat off. Orton in Chitown was good until he got hurt and Minn is fine with Ferotte.

i'm not saying mccoy will be an instant success...but there are a lot of nfl teams with issues...minnesota is NOT fine with gus, there is room for improvement with baltimore despite the $$$, buffalo philly houston kansas city seatlle have issues at starting qb and every team has problems at back up.

even at back up mccoy can help any one of these teams...someone goes down or has a bad game...you know how the nfl works, ask dovann mcnabb

Blake
12-01-2008, 03:07 PM
maybe he's not trying to screw texas by protecting himself...

...but my question stands: WILL TEXAS GET SCREWED BY HIM LEAVING?

I think screwed is a harsh word that implies he is trying to intentionally leave them hanging.

I think they are better off with him than without him for sure, but sooner or later he's gotta leave. May as well get Chiles some playing time

MajorMike
12-01-2008, 03:09 PM
There are actually several QBs in the draft. Bradford will be out, Stafford, the QBs from Purdue, Clemson and Ball State are all highly regarded, Tebow might come out as might Sanchez, Cantwell from Louisville, Daniel, Harrell, JP Wilson, and honestly, don't forget about Bomar at Sam Houston.

I would say Colt would still be in the top 5, depending on what order you like, even if Bradford, Tebow and Sanchez all come out. Most people right now say the top 3 are Stafford, Bradford and Tebow in some order. I think Colt would be right around 3-5.

ATRAIN
12-01-2008, 03:10 PM
i'm not saying mccoy will be an instant success...but there are a lot of nfl teams with issues...minnesota is NOT fine with gus, there is room for improvement with baltimore despite the $$$, buffalo philly houston kansas city seatlle have issues at starting qb and every team has problems at back up.

even at back up mccoy can help any one of these teams...someone goes down or has a bad game...you know how the nfl works, ask dovann mcnabb

Yeah I know what your saying for some reason I just dont see Colt being that number 1 guy yet. If he does go to the draft I dont see a 1st rounder for him. I dont know what free agency holds this year yet but who knows with trades and what not. I dont see minn, bal, buff, houston making a play for QB. Dont get me wrong im a Houston fan and im ready for a change at that position but i know its not going to happen. KC, Seattle, and possible Philly will be looking for new blood. I think Tebow is going to be the first qb taken, then Bradford.

MajorMike
12-01-2008, 03:12 PM
I think Tebow is going to be the first qb taken, then Bradford.

I think Stafford will be.

ATRAIN
12-01-2008, 03:13 PM
There are actually several QBs in the draft. Bradford will be out, Stafford, the QBs from Purdue, Clemson and Ball State are all highly regarded, Tebow might come out as might Sanchez, Cantwell from Louisville, Daniel, Harrell, JP Wilson, and honestly, don't forget about Bomar at Sam Houston.

I would say Colt would still be in the top 5, depending on what order you like, even if Bradford, Tebow and Sanchez all come out. Most people right now say the top 3 are Stafford, Bradford and Tebow in some order. I think Colt would be right around 3-5.

With that being said I see a lot of teams holding off on a QB for the later rounds. OL and Def is going to be heavy this year but who knows.

Blake
12-01-2008, 03:16 PM
yeah, I've been hearing that Rhett Bhomar is moving up the draft charts fast.

If I'm a GM, I agree that I'd take Stafford as the first QB.

I see Colt being picked somewhere in the late 4th/early 5th round.

ATRAIN
12-01-2008, 03:18 PM
yeah, I've been hearing that Rhett Bhomar is moving up the draft charts fast.

If I'm a GM, I agree that I'd take Stafford as the first QB.

I see Colt being picked somewhere in the late 4th/early 5th round.

If he stays one more year and puts up the same numbers as this year do you think he will make it to a 1st round pick?

tonylongoriafan
12-01-2008, 03:22 PM
I think screwed is a harsh word that implies he is trying to intentionally leave them hanging.

I think they are better off with him than without him for sure, but sooner or later he's gotta leave. May as well get Chiles some playing time

it was either after the missouri game or the oklahoma game that Colt said in an espn interview that he was coming back. i heard him on the dan patrick show around the say time deflect the question but indicated he wouldn't be turning pro...

...fast forward 30-60 days later and i would say its 50/50...

...john chiles has not gotten enough significant playing time to make anyone comfortable with him taking the reigns, after that you're talking players with zero experience leading a team expected to compete for a conference and national title...

awesome freshman season, sub-par sophomore season, followed by an awesome junior season...and if he's bolts, the longhorns are left high and dry. you can call it protecting yourself or evaluating or whatever, but his intentions were to come back. if he leaves, texas is screwed at the qb position. and every longhorn fan thinks of jamaal charles and jermichael finely.

i guess it's unfair to colt a little. and i guess you are allowed to change your mind. maybe Texas should bench colt in the bowl game to get jc some snaps?

I Love Me Some Me
12-01-2008, 03:25 PM
If he stays one more year and puts up the same numbers as this year do you think he will make it to a 1st round pick?

He might, but if the NFL goes to a rookie contract scale, he could still wind up making a lot more money as a 2nd or 3rd rounder this year.

samikeyp
12-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Colt stays.

IronMexican
12-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Bradford, Stafford, then Tebow will all be taken way ahead of McCoy. Do you guys seriously believe this guy is a first or even second round pick? He will be taken in the 4th or 5th just like every other great, undersized college QB.

monosylab1k
12-01-2008, 04:39 PM
sam bradford is a redshirt sophomore, no way in hell is he leaving for the NFL this year.

and colt isn't undersized, he's 6-3. he needs some more muscle but so does almost every college player. colt's problem is that he has a weak arm. he'll be a first day pick, but no way is he a 1st rounder.

leemajors
12-01-2008, 04:48 PM
if colt left, he wouldn't be screwing anyone. 2 great seasons is a lot more than most qbs give.

Blake
12-01-2008, 04:57 PM
He might, but if the NFL goes to a rookie contract scale, he could still wind up making a lot more money as a 2nd or 3rd rounder this year.

that's the whole issue and I think when he said "I'm definitely coming back" he wasn't aware of the upcoming NFL rookie salary limits.

tonylongoriafan
12-01-2008, 05:06 PM
if colt left, he wouldn't be screwing anyone. 2 great seasons is a lot more than most qbs give.

2 great seasons out of 3 and a 4th just hanging there...how can longhorns fans not feel a least a little unrest about this situation

Blake
12-01-2008, 05:25 PM
2 great seasons out of 3 and a 4th just hanging there...how can longhorns fans not feel a least a little unrest about this situation

meh....

it was the same unrest they had when Colt started his first game as a freshman longhorn.

they'll reload like always and will be just fine.

chode_regulator
12-01-2008, 05:56 PM

nto to mention that tyler thigpen has the most touchdowns since week 8 over ANY other qb. he has huge potential and for the first time all year im excited about the chiefs. they need to rebuild tehir o line more, replace jared allan or really do anythign with their defense. NOT DRAFT A QB. the chiefs are the youngest team by far in teh nfl and have been decimated by injuries.

that being said, it would be pretty cool as a chiefs fan to land mccoy. but i think stickign with thigpen is the way to go.

purist
12-01-2008, 06:10 PM
meh....

it was the same unrest they had when Colt started his first game as a freshman longhorn.

they'll reload like always and will be just fine.

bingo!

There are some downplaying John Chiles' ability on this board, but not me. Dude is a tremendous athlete and I'll take my chances with him while Gilbert develops a season. A year ago, Longhorn nation was stoked about Chiles and he's done nothing to diminish my optimism about his talent and speed.

Truth is Texas is deep as hell at the offensive skill positions, except for tight end. and the Defense is likely to be the star of th show next year anyway.

Just cuz Colt leaves, the sky will not be falling.

IronMexican
12-01-2008, 06:12 PM
nto to mention that tyler thigpen has the most touchdowns since week 8 over ANY other qb. he has huge potential and for the first time all year im excited about the chiefs. they need to rebuild tehir o line more, replace jared allan or really do anythign with their defense. NOT DRAFT A QB. the chiefs are the youngest team by far in teh nfl and have been decimated by injuries.

that being said, it would be pretty cool as a chiefs fan to land mccoy. but i think stickign with thigpen is the way to go.

Chiefs need a DE. Don't they have like 6 sacks all year?

romad_20
12-01-2008, 06:20 PM
I think Stafford is going to go first, but I don't want him to :(

As far as Colt goes, I think he comes out due to CBA reasons others were talking about.

MajorMike
12-01-2008, 08:03 PM
sam bradford is a redshirt sophomore, no way in hell is he leaving for the NFL this year.

Slow, aren't you?

Blake
12-01-2008, 10:01 PM

honestly no. I think his stock is as high as it's gonna get.

chode_regulator
12-01-2008, 11:16 PM

somethig abysimal like that. i was highly pissed when they traded jared allan. then when they made good use of their picks i was happy. but jesus, the kc defense is either old and beat up or yound and stupid. lots of potential though. :downspin:

monosylab1k
12-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Slow, aren't you?

I don't care what kinda money is involved, long-term it is career suicide for a redshirt sophomore QUARTERBACK to leave for the NFL, and Bradford is smart enough to know that.

Trainwreck2100
12-02-2008, 09:52 AM
yes

bleedorange&blue
12-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Man, who the hell are the idiots advising him??????? Feedback is that if Colt test's how he is supposed to, he would be a late 1st to mid 2nd round pick!!!!
WHAT:wow:wow:wow

Is he talking to the same guys Jamaal & Jermichael talked to when they decided to make the jump:bang:bang:bang.

Guess we'll see when he gets his eval back in January.

As for the rookie salary cap limits, NFLPA hasn't agree to anything. I know Mel Kiper know's his stuff, but I haven't seen or heard any formal agreement between the League & Union. Did I miss something?????

Cant_Be_Faded
12-06-2008, 05:07 PM

and colt isn't undersized, he's 6-3. he needs some more muscle but so does almost every college player. colt's problem is that he has a weak arm. he'll be a first day pick, but no way is he a 1st rounder.

colt's not 6-3, that is a myth...he's barely 6-2.

spursfor5
12-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Colt won't leave.

chode_regulator
12-08-2008, 07:52 PM
said today he's coming back. i guess only time will tell though. i remember another qb saying he was coming back too.

J.T.
12-08-2008, 10:36 PM
said today he's coming back. i guess only time will tell though. i remember another qb saying he was coming back too.

Yeah but Vince Young has proved that UT's offense doesn't transfer to the NFL. Vince Young was Jesus at UT and he can't even start for the Titans. Colt McCoy isn't NFL ready. Look at the rookie QBs this year and the only reason they're doing so well is because their schools ran pro offenses. UT doesn't run a pro offense. McCoy would get mad money and then end up being a bust.

tonylongoriafan
12-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Yeah but Vince Young has proved that UT's offense doesn't transfer to the NFL. Vince Young was Jesus at UT and he can't even start for the Titans. Colt McCoy isn't NFL ready. Look at the rookie QBs this year and the only reason they're doing so well is because their schools ran pro offenses. UT doesn't run a pro offense. McCoy would get mad money and then end up being a bust.

ryan leaf-style

chode_regulator
12-08-2008, 11:13 PM
yeah i kinda question how alot of schools run so much shotgun formation. i mean i get it, but it doesnt help them much for nfl. but of course colleges dont necesarily care. nor shouldthey i guess.

other than the chiefs though. with their pistol formation or wahtever. im still pissed they blew it agaisnt the broncos.

benefactor
12-09-2008, 06:33 AM
Colt McCoy - "I'm not going anywhere." (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3754860)

Texas Longhorns quarterback Colt McCoy will return for his senior season, the Austin American-Statesman reported Monday on its Web site.

Texas quarterback Colt McCoy has decided against testing the waters for the NFL draft.
"I'm not going anywhere," McCoy told the newspaper.

McCoy, who had previously said he would file paperwork to receive feedback from an NFL advisory committee about his draft prospects, is hungry for a national title after the Longhorns fell just short of a berth in the BCS Championship Game, the Statesman reported.

"I'm coming back because we have a solid coaching staff," McCoy said. "And I'm coming back because I feel like I can develop the young receivers we have."

The Longhorns (11-1), who will face Ohio State in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 5, finished the regular season ranked third in the BCS standings behind Oklahoma and Florida.

McCoy, a redshirt junior, said Monday he had also decided against testing the waters for the draft or seeking an evaluation for his coaches at UT from the NFL.

McCoy set team records this season with 3,445 passing yards and 32 touchdowns. The Heisman Trophy contender also led the team in rushing with 576 yards.

McCoy had hinted before that he would stay for a fourth year at Texas.

"I've been blessed to be able to play here," McCoy told The Sporting News in October. "Not very many people get to [start] here for four years, so what an opportunity."
--------------------------------
National championship or bust....:toast

tonylongoriafan
12-09-2008, 09:10 AM

YES! that's what i'm talking about...next year...BACK TO BACK NATIONAL TITLES! :king

Blake
12-09-2008, 09:27 AM

I agree, except I'm not sure McCoy gets 'mad money' as a late third or early fourth round pick.

tonylongoriafan
12-09-2008, 10:28 AM
I agree, except I'm not sure McCoy gets 'mad money' as a late third or early fourth round pick.

the dude's gonna wash out in the nfl anyway...he should just stay at texas as long as he can, make is nfl cash, and then come back to the college ranks to be an assistant or something

J.T.
12-09-2008, 11:20 AM

He'd go in the middle of the first day if he declared this year. Some shitty team would take him... I mean if your QB is Shaun Hill or Daunte Culpepper, I bet you'd roll the dice on McCoy.

The best thing for Colt McCoy going into the NFL is to play his final year at UT and then ride the bench like Aaron Rodgers did before he starts an NFL game.

Blake
12-09-2008, 11:49 AM
He'd go in the middle of the first day if he declared this year. Some shitty team would take him... I mean if your QB is Shaun Hill or Daunte Culpepper, I bet you'd roll the dice on McCoy.

The best thing for Colt McCoy going into the NFL is to play his final year at UT and then ride the bench like Aaron Rodgers did before he starts an NFL game.

hmmm

i think there might some truth to that, and maybe he is staying because of the number of quality QBs going pro this year too.

Look at the number of possible QBs in the upcoming draft that would probably go before McCoy: Tebow, Bradford, Stafford, Bhomar, Sanchez.... maybe a couple more

His stock might be higher next year with fewer QBs in the draft.

The Reckoning
12-09-2008, 04:07 PM
he's staying

Texas Longhorns (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=251) quarterback Colt McCoy (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=175772) will return for his senior season, the Austin American-Statesman reported Monday on its Web site.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/1208/ncf_u_mccoy2_200.jpg (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3754860#)

Brendan Maloney/US Presswire
Texas quarterback Colt McCoy has decided against testing the waters for the NFL draft.

"I'm not going anywhere," McCoy told the newspaper.

McCoy, who had previously said he would file paperwork to receive feedback from an NFL advisory committee about his draft prospects, is hungry for a national title after the Longhorns fell just short of a berth in the BCS Championship Game, the Statesman reported.

"I'm coming back because we have a solid coaching staff," McCoy said. "And I'm coming back because I feel like I can develop the young receivers we have."

The Longhorns (11-1), who will face Ohio State (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=194) in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 5, finished the regular season ranked third in the BCS standings behind Oklahoma (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=201) and Florida (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=57).

McCoy, a redshirt junior, said Monday he had also decided against testing the waters for the draft or seeking an evaluation for his coaches at UT from the NFL.

McCoy set team records this season with 3,445 passing yards and 32 touchdowns. The Heisman Trophy contender also led the team in rushing with 576 yards.

McCoy had hinted before that he would stay for a fourth year at Texas.
"I've been blessed to be able to play here," McCoy told The Sporting News in October. "Not very many people get to [start] here for four years, so what an opportunity."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3754860

Blake
12-09-2008, 04:20 PM
wow, thanks for yesterday's update

Obstructed_View
12-13-2008, 05:17 AM
One thing's for sure, he just screwed any chances he had of winning the Heisman with the announcement he's staying. It's too bad, because he should get it. I hate UT, but I'm not going to say he isn't the best player out there.

IronMexican
10-09-2009, 10:44 PM

Damn brah, and they totally drafted a DE.