PDA

View Full Version : D'Antoni has no regrets benching Marbury

Indazone
12-01-2008, 03:21 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/img/blog_header_isola.jpg (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/)
D'Antoni doesn't regret benching Marbury

December 1, 2008

With the Knicks are on the verge of severing ties with disgruntled point guard Stephon Marbury, Mike D’Antoni says he doesn’t regret his original decision to bench Marbury at the start of the season.
“No, obviously it wasn’t a snap decision,” D’Antoni said. “It was a decision made over months and months for what is better for the team. And I try to do what is better for the team. Can you argue that it’s not all good? Sure, I’m not full proof in any decision. I realized everything that could happen.”
Marbury was scheduled to meet with Knicks president Donnie Walsh Monday at 2 p.m. All indications are the Knicks with either negotiate a buy-out with Marbury or ask him to leave the team indefinitely with pay.
“Everybody is looking for a solution and resolve the problem,” D’Antoni said. “It didn’t work out the way anyone thought or hoped. Everybody is looking for closure.”
Marbury is clearly trying to force the issue judging by his critical comments of both D’Antoni and Walsh. Marbury claims that he never refused to enter a game. Essentially, it is D’Antoni’s word against Marbury’s and already Walsh has said he believes his coach. Plus, Marbury’s credibility, much like his game, is at an all-time low.
“I hate it for him, he’s in a tough position,” D’Antoni said. “And I hate the position that everyone is in, the Knicks and Steph. The reality is we’re going to try to do the best we can to solve the problem and hope all parties are happy.”
Marbury, who has not appeared in a game this season, will earn $21.9 million this year.

Sorry but I believe Marbury

Knicks have completely bungled Marbury situation

by Peter Vecsey, New York Post

When Pacers president Larry Bird decided prior to training camp to support coach Jim O'Brien's fervent desire to exile Jamaal Tinsley, I thought it was a lousy idea. Why on earth would an opponent want to acquire a player owed $21 million over three seasons when the parent team finds him so repugnant?

Still, at least management eliminated any chance of Tinsley or O'Brien creating an embarrassing or prickly disturbance. Every once in awhile, the Indianapolis media has attempted to update trade/buyout possibilities; that's been it . . . no incidents or accusations, hints OR allegations of insubordination. Boundaries were agreed upon and neither party has crossed them publicly.
'Marriage is over'

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/8858018_51_1.jpg Read the New York Post's exclusive interview (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8861202/Marbury-to-Knicks:-'The-marriage-is-over') with Stephon Marbury, where the Knicks guard speaks of his desire to leave the organization.

You'd think over the last four seasons, Donnie Walsh would have learned something as Bird's boss. The Knicks' president could not be handling the Stephon Marbury mess any clumsier had Isiah Thomas mapped its coordinates - maybe I'm on to something.
First, regardless of whether or not Walsh agreed with Mike D'Antoni's "command" decision to ground the seamlessly compliant Marbury, and despite admitting it caught him by complete surprise, he overtly supported the result.
In the process, D'Antoni took it upon himself to break his and Walsh's word that Marbury would be given the opportunity to earn minutes as long as he adhered to whatever role the coach wanted him to play.
Next thing you know, again, without consulting his superior, D'Antoni deactivated Marbury for the following game in Philadelphia, permanently. Out of nowhere, we were informed Stephon didn't fit into the coach's long-term design; and recently did I discover teammates had trashed the ink-stained wretch during individual summer sit-downs with their new coach.
Again, Walsh allowed the inequity to stand rather than covertly insist on protecting the franchise's investment by showcasing Marbury; in theory, it worked well with Zach Randolph. Someone please remind me to ask D'Antoni: Would he have benched Marbury if Stephon's salary was coming out of his bank account?
I understand Walsh had no other choice but to back his hand-picked $24 million hire over a $20.8M left-over predicament. At the same time, surely he recognized the unavoidable plethora of penalties Marbury's mortification and bruised ego would provoke, yet did little to abort them.
As soon as D'Antoni sentenced Marbury to an isolation booth, effectively devaluing one of the Knicks' precious few potential assets (expiring contract notwithstanding) lower than my 201k, Walsh should have separated Stephon from the team a la Tinsley. From that point on, there was nothing to gain by having his sulking self loitering in its midst and only resentment to fester and fume on all sides of the controversy.
I know Walsh better than to remotely believe he kept Marbury out in the open in hopes he'd breach his contract in some shape or form. He probably felt, if D'Antoni was opposed to using Stephon, James Dolan's hand-picked $15M hire needed to show Camp Cablevision stockholders, at the very least, Stephon was obliged to make an appearance each game and travel with the team.
Walsh also probably felt he could control the fragile situation to some degree with dreams of a buy-out burning in Marbury's brain. No promises were ever made regarding that end, nor was any timetable given regarding an outright release, a source stresses.
Still, Walsh should've known something bad was bound to happen sooner than later with Marbury and D'Antoni in such close proximity. The gulf of mistrust in a relationship that had quickly disintegrated in 2003-04 after D'Antoni replaced Frank Johnson as Suns coach had widened to un-restorable proportion.
Especially with New York's media incessantly instigating and agitating and tailgating, as well as concocting or embellishing, or exhuming subversive stories that leave no teammate, assistant coach or equipment manager unturned.
If the main man who claims Walsh has complete autonomy, in fact, mandated Marbury must stay in play, so to speak, I apologize for much of the above.
NBA roundup

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/8873210_36_2.jpg

In any event, all you need to know about the state of Stephon and the Knicks is Plaxico Burress had a better week.
Clearly, there's enough disingenuousness to go around in the wake of Marbury rejecting "offers" of serious minutes from D'Antoni against the Bucks and Pistons and his subsequent fine for not playing at the Palace and last night's Garden suspension with Golden State in town.
In no way do I absolve Marbury, who owns the NBA's all-time record for ticking off teammates, staff and civilians, but why would a coach give a player the option to play. Asking a demoted player if he wouldn't mind dressing to meet the league minimum of eight and, oh, yeah, 30-35 minutes are yours if you want them, is a first in my 40 years of covering professional basketball.
D'Antoni's testimony on camera following both episodes was unambiguous. He'd asked, not ordered, Marbury to break a sweat. Surprising no one, Hooked on Stephonics re-confirmed his legendary selfishness by leaving his under-manned team in the lurch. But that ask-order technicality, it says here, will recoup the money he was docked when his case goes to arbitration.
Marbury is sufficiently street slick or schooled by union lawyers to have figured that much out. Yet he wasn't smart enough to realize he'd blown an extraordinary opportunity to repair his contaminated image. Imagine the respect Marbury would have gained by rising above being callously discarded and coming to his decimated team's rescue. Instead, Stephon confirmed why so many of us disrespect him so deeply.