PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News Marbury and Knicks Fail to Reach Buyout Agreement

Indazone
12-01-2008, 04:54 PM
To nobody's suprise :wakeup

Marbury and Knicks Don’t Reach Buyout Agreement

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/02/sports/basketball/02knicks.html?ref=sports
HOWARD BECK (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/howard_beck/index.html?inline=nyt-per)
Published: December 1, 2008
GREENBURGH, N.Y. – With his Knicks (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/probasketball/nationalbasketballassociation/newyorkknicks/index.html?inline=nyt-org) career down to its final days, and perhaps final hours, Stephon Marbury (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/m/stephon_marbury/index.html?inline=nyt-per) sparked one last firestorm for the franchise to douse.
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/12/01/sports/basketball/marbury.190.jpg
Duane Burleson/Associated Press

Stephon Marbury said he never used the words "I will not play."

In comments published in Monday’s New York Post, Marbury called Coach Mike D’Antoni (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/d/mike_dantoni/index.html?inline=nyt-per) a liar who showed him no respect and said his teammates “left me out for dead” after Marbury was dropped from the rotation.
“I sat there for three weeks and didn’t say one word,” Marbury told the newspaper. “I didn’t hear one of my teammates say, ‘Why isn’t Stephon Marbury playing?’”
Marbury met Monday afternoon with the team president Donnie Walsh (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/w/donnie_walsh/index.html?inline=nyt-per) in an attempt to resolve a month-long standoff over Marbury’s status. The Knicks want Marbury to accept a buyout of his $21.9 million contract. Marbury wants his release but has been reluctant to give up much at the negotiating table.
The meeting was scheduled for 2 p.m. Marbury arrived around 2:30 p.m. and parked his Rolls Royce in the public parking lot, rather than the players’ lot. Fifteen minutes later, he walked back through the lobby and returned to his car, but did not leave.
Marbury, who does not have an agent, is being advised by a players association lawyer, Hal Biagas. The parties had not met in person for nearly three weeks, and there was skepticism that the matter would be resolved with a single meeting.
Biagas left the meeting about 20 minutes after Marbury did and said the matter was “not resolved.” He did not indicate if further meetings were scheduled.
“I’m not commenting, guys,” Biagas told reporters before getting in Marbury’s car to leave. “We need to try to keep this in-house and I have no comment at this time. We’ll keep you posted if things happen.”

TheProfessor
12-01-2008, 05:00 PM
“I didn’t hear one of my teammates say, ‘Why isn’t Stephon Marbury playing?’”
:lol I wonder why?

JamStone
12-01-2008, 05:02 PM
It's possible that in this particular set of events that both sides are pretty much equally being fucking douchebags about this whole situation.

Lakers_55
12-01-2008, 05:11 PM
The ultmate irony would be: the Cavs sign Marbury, win the title this year or next and LeBron stays in Cleveland.

TDMVPDPOY
12-01-2008, 05:12 PM
who gives a shit

nice clothes marbs....

The Franchise
12-01-2008, 05:27 PM
It's possible that in this particular set of events that both sides are pretty much equally being fucking douchebags about this whole situation.

It's only fair the team get a little payback. :lol I would ask him if he's playing before every game and if he refuses keep fining him. It all comes down to an employee refusing to work. I'm sure that's violating his contract in some way. No play no pay.

BRHornet45
12-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Marbury AKA Class-A Douche Bag

DaDakota
12-01-2008, 05:30 PM
He can play like crap.....the Knicks screwed themselves and want to recoup some of the money....same situation as Larry Brown had a few years ago.

DD

Boston Pancake
12-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Marbury AKA Class-A Douche Bag

BRHornets45 AKA Cuckold Ninny

BRHornet45
12-01-2008, 05:34 PM
BRHornets45 AKA Cuckold Ninny

LOL the cuckold speaks!

Thunder Dan
12-01-2008, 05:37 PM
can someone explain to me why Marbury should agree to a buyout? The Knicks gave him a contract to play basketball for X amount of years and make X amount of money...you pay him what the contract says, he doesn't need to accept a buyout because he sucks or is a cancer- don't give him the contract in the first place.

I'm on Step's side on this. If you have a contract with a business partner, you don't just not pay it if you don't like how things work out in a couple years...you pay the contract. That is the risk, sometimes they work in your favor, sometimes they dont

Thunder Dan
12-01-2008, 05:40 PM
If I had a contract that paid me $21,000,000 to do a job, and they didn't even have me actually do the job...there is not a chance in hell I would agree to a buyout to get me out of that situation because that is my dream job

BacktoBasics
12-01-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm about tired of hearing the "employee is refusing to work bit". They told him, his teammates and the media that he was no longer a part of the team. They alienated him during practices and games. He sat there just like he was asked to do and became a slave to his contractual terms of being a Knick. Then all of sudden they wanted something from him. Fuck that. They already pulled the plug on him and proceeded to run him around town like a slave on a chain leash for everyone to see who and what Marbury was. They treated him like a child. De-activate him and severe ties if you have no intentions of using him. To parade him around like a pet is appauling even for someone as self-righteous as Starbury. The Knicks organization should be fined and punished for this blackeye on basketball.

Thunder Dan
12-01-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm about tired of hearing the "employee is refusing to work bit". They told him, his teammates and the media that he was no longer a part of the team. They alienated him during practices and games. He sat there just like he was asked to do and became a slave to his contractual terms of being a Knick. Then all of sudden they wanted something from him. Fuck that. They already pulled the plug on him and proceeded to run him around town like a slave on a chain leash for everyone to see who and what Marbury was. They treated him like a child. De-activate him and severe ties if you have no intentions of using him. To parade him around like a pet is appauling even for someone as self-righteous as Starbury. The Knicks organization should be fined and punished for this blackeye on basketball.

yeah they are turning him into the bad guy for signing a ridiculous contract that they want out of. They are the idiots that agreed to the thing, pay up and learn from your mistakes, that is how good businesses function.

The Franchise
12-01-2008, 05:46 PM

You don't work when I ask then why should I pay you? right or wrong that's the situation. As long as he's cashing their checks he is an employee no matter how fucked up that seems.

Thunder Dan
12-01-2008, 05:47 PM
I don't understand why they bench him in the first place..was it because he wouldn't accept a buyout?

I mean he is playing for the Knicks, he can't be that bad that he can't even suit up for them

Dex
12-01-2008, 05:53 PM
And people wonder why he will never be a Spur.

The Franchise
12-01-2008, 05:53 PM
I don't understand why they bench him in the first place..was it because he wouldn't accept a buyout?

I mean he is playing for the Knicks, he can't be that bad that he can't even suit up for them

I don't know. You're talking about a player whos' ego was so big he said there was only room for one star in Minnesota. :lol He may feel he's bigger than the team. That must be hell for a coach to deal with.

BacktoBasics
12-01-2008, 05:58 PM
You don't work when I ask then why should I pay you? right or wrong that's the situation. As long as he's cashing their checks he is an employee no matter how fucked up that seems.A contract shouldn't consist of unfair and unreasonable business practices. I don't care how loyal to the contract you are the binding agreement doesn't lend the ability to mistreat and misrepresent the other party. They walked all over him during the offseason. They did nothing productive for either themselves or Marbury in the last calendar year. They abused their rights of his contract by defaming and degrading him publically for know known reason. Then they turned around and docked him pay for not helping the very hand that cut him off.

At some point if they don't leave him alone and expect nothing from him or work out a reasonable buyout he'll hire a lawyer and it won't go well for the Knicks. At this point the Knicks are in far more breech of contract than Marbury ever was.

I'll lay it out in real simple terms.

A NBA contract doesn't equate to slavery.

The Franchise
12-01-2008, 06:10 PM
A contract shouldn't consist of unfair and unreasonable business practices. I don't care how loyal to the contract you are the binding agreement doesn't lend the ability to mistreat and misrepresent the other party. They walked all over him during the offseason. They did nothing productive for either themselves or Marbury in the last calendar year. They abused their rights of his contract by defaming and degrading him publically for know known reason. Then they turned around and docked him pay for not helping the very hand that cut him off.

At some point if they don't leave him alone and expect nothing from him or work out a reasonable buyout he'll hire a lawyer and it won't go well for the Knicks. At this point the Knicks are in far more breech of contract than Marbury ever was.

I'll lay it out in real simple terms.

A NBA contract doesn't equate to slavery.
What have the Knicks done to him? Sat him down for being insubordinate? When asked why he isn't playing by the press answered the question? Not played him? They are not obligated to. Many players don't get court time for numerous reasons, but if they call upon you to play (and you're collecting a check) you play.It's not like you are talking about the ideal employee anyway. When the team was trying to bend over backwards for the last two years they got pissed on by the same employee. Should they just have to pay him and take it? What about the teams rights?

Indazone
12-01-2008, 06:18 PM
MORE BREAKING NEWS

Knicks' Donnie Walsh says Stephon Marbury has been banned indefinitely

By FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Monday, December 1st 2008, 5:53 PM
Stephon Marbury (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Stephon+Marbury) has been banished by the Knicks (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/New+York+Knicks) indefinitely.
Knicks president Donnie Walsh (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Donnie+Walsh) announced late Monday that he ordered Marbury "not to participate in practice or attend games until further notice."
Walsh added that both sides will continue to work on a long term resolution that will likely lead to the Knicks negotiating a buyout with the disgruntled point guard.
"It's not resolved," Hal Biagas (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Hal+Biagas), Marbury's union lawyer said after emerging from a 35-minute meeting with Walsh.
"We're keeping it in-house," Biagas added. "I have no comment. I'll keep you posted if things happen."
Marbury, Biagas and Walsh met at the Knicks training facility on Monday at 2:30 p.m. Marbury left the meeting after 15 minutes and sat in his Rolls Royce (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Rolls-Royce+plc) until Biagas, who works for the Players Association, exited 20 minutes later. Marbury's driver drove to the entrance to pick up Biagas.
Marbury refused to comment when he left.
The Daily News reported last month that the Knicks were considering sending Marbury home if or when Marbury became a distraction or a malcontent. Marbury was suspended for Saturday's game for refusing to play three days earlier against

Indazone
12-01-2008, 06:20 PM
In this story, (http://www.nypost.com/seven/12012008/sports/knicks/steph_still_zinging_coach__teammates_as__141633.ht m)Marbury told Marc Berman of the New York Post:

"I sat there for three weeks and didn't say one word. I didn't hear one of my teammates say, 'Why isn't Stephon Marbury playing? This is a good system for him, even to play with the second unit to bring more firepower.' "When things got bad and then worse, guys like Quentin Richardson say, 'I don't consider him a teammate. He let his teammates out to dry.' He didn't care I was his teammate when I was banished. They left me out for dead. It's like we're in a foxhole and I'm facing the other way. If I got shot in the head, at least you want to get shot by the enemy. I got shot in the head by my own guys in my foxhole. And they didn't even give me an honorable death."
Marbury did have a good word (http://www.nypost.com/seven/12012008/sports/knicks/marbury_gives_duhon_kudos_141635.htm) for Chris Duhon, who dished out a team record 22 assists Saturday night against Golden State. "He looked like an All-Star,'' Marbury said about the man who replaced him as the team's point guard.

Anti.Hero
This is disgusting.

It is sickening to think one can do so little to be guaranteed 15+ million haha

F my life :depressed :lol

BacktoBasics
What have the Knicks done to him? Sat him down for being insubordinate? When asked why he isn't playing by the press answered the question? Not played him? They are not obligated to. Many players don't get court time for numerous reasons, but if they call upon you to play (and you're collecting a check) you play.It's not like you are talking about the ideal employee anyway. When the team was trying to bend over backwards for the last two years they got pissed on by the same employee. Should they just have to pay him and take it? What about the teams rights?It wasn't as simple as sitting him down. They announced to everyone including the media and his teammates that he was no longer a part of the "team". So instead of deactivating him and working it out behind the scenes they paraded him out to all the practices but he couldn't practice then to all the games but he couldn't play so on and so forth all while telling everyone that he wasn't really a part of the "team". It was as if they turned him into a mascot of sorts...a pet to showcase. He waited and did what he was told then after they ran all over him and acted as if he was to never have anything to do with this team because he was such a bad boy he gets slapped with a fine for not wanting to play for a team that alienated him and ostersized him in the media.

Its total garbage.

I'm not a fan of Marbury. I don't like the guy or his ego but he's 100% right here. The Knicks are way out of line. I don't know what they're trying to prove but its pointless and counterproductive. Why bring the distraction to the front when all they had to do was tell him to go home and stay there. There's no reason for him to even be there if they've "moved on".

Indazone
12-01-2008, 06:22 PM
It wasn't as simple as sitting him down. They announced to everyone including the media and his teammates that he was no longer a part of the "team". So instead of deactivating him and working it out behind the scenes they paraded him out to all the practices but he couldn't practice then to all the games but he couldn't play so on and so forth all while telling everyone that he wasn't really a part of the "team". It was as if they turned him into a mascot of sorts...a pet to showcase. He waited and did what he was told then after they ran all over him and acted as if he was to never have anything to do with this team because he was such a bad boy he gets slapped with a fine for not wanting to play for a team that alienated him and ostersized him in the media.

Its total garbage.

I'm not a fan of Marbury. I don't like the guy or his ego but he's 100% right here. The Knicks are way out of line. I don't know what they're trying to prove but its pointless and counterproductive. Why bring the distraction to the front when all they had to do was tell him to go home and stay there. There's no reason for him to even be there if they've "moved on".

Totally agree, Walsh should have Jamal Tinsley'd Marbury and sent him to the hinterlands.

Thunder Dan
12-01-2008, 06:41 PM
and to think there is a list of players reportedly lining up to play for this franchise in 2010...

diego
12-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Thunder Dan:
of course the contract isnt = slavery.
but the story goes way back. Marbury has been traded from every single team he has been on. The Knicks gave him an opportunity, then another, then another, and another, and another. He pissed them all away. Now I agree, that if he wants the 21M for doing nothing, ok- the contract allows for that and he isnt cheating anyone by asking for that (I'm quite sure the players union will side with marbury over the docked pay, how do you really prove he refused to play?). but that means DO NOTHING. dont talk shit to reporters and dont ask to be let go. Just STFU and collect your checks.

The problem is that Marbury wants the knicks to release him, but doesnt want to give up the money. The knicks would love to release him, but quite understandably want him to take less money.

How many times has this happened in the NBA? None, because every player who has a ridiculous contract and a bad rep and wants out of his contract realizes one of two things:
a) fuck it, I've already made a ton of money and I want a change of scenery and if I only "worked" half the contract, its ok to take half the money
b) fuck it, I've already made a ton of money and I'd rather be playing the game I love than sitting on the bench and being made a fool of.

Stephon Marbury wants to eat his cake and keep it too. That, and the fact that hes fucked up his situation on every single team hes been on, makes me think the problem isnt the Knicks, but marbury.

I'd bet everything I have that any team that picks marbury up will be worse off for it in a maximum of 2 years. He's worse than a cancer, he's the bubonic plague.

Thunder Dan
12-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Thunder Dan:
but the story goes way back. Marbury has been traded from every single team he has been on. The Knicks gave him an opportunity, then another, then another, and another, and another. He pissed them all away. Now I agree, that if he wants the 21M for doing nothing, ok- the contract allows for that and he isnt cheating anyone by asking for that (I'm quite sure the players union will side with marbury over the docked pay, how do you really prove he refused to play?). but that means DO NOTHING. dont talk shit to reporters and dont ask to be let go. Just STFU and collect your checks.

The problem is that Marbury wants the knicks to release him, but doesnt want to give up the money. The knicks would love to release him, but quite understandably want him to take less money.

How many times has this happened in the NBA? None, because every player who has a ridiculous contract and a bad rep and wants out of his contract realizes one of two things:
a) fuck it, I've already made a ton of money and I want a change of scenery and if I only "worked" half the contract, its ok to take half the money
b) fuck it, I've already made a ton of money and I'd rather be playing the game I love than sitting on the bench and being made a fool of.

Stephon Marbury wants to eat his cake and keep it too. That, and the fact that hes fucked up his situation on every single team hes been on, makes me think the problem isnt the Knicks, but marbury.

I'd bet everything I have that any team that picks marbury up will be worse off for it in a maximum of 2 years. He's worse than a cancer, he's the bubonic plague.

I get all that, but if I ran the Knicks, and I saw a guy that had the past of Marbury's and even had issues with my own organization, I wouldn't give him a long term high paying contract. I know Marbury is trouble, but nobody forced the Knicks to sing him. It's the same reason that Pacman Jones will always make more money than other CB's in the NFL.. a checkered past should reflect in your value

Kill_Bill_Pana
12-01-2008, 06:54 PM
D'Antoni was always know as snake in his days in Europe.

YellowFever
12-01-2008, 07:05 PM

:tu:tu:tu:tu:tu:tu:tu

JamStone
12-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Did the Knicks sign Marbury or give him an extension or did he already have this max contract when he was traded from the Suns?

Indazone
12-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Here comes another Stevie Franchise type buyout from the Knicks. Actually the Knicks dodged a bullet with that one but I'm not sure how they did it. I supposed they just raped Paul Allen on that deal.

Indazone
12-01-2008, 07:20 PM
D'Antoni was always know as snake in his days in Europe.

That girl in your sig is a butterface. She's hot everywhere but her face. LOL

Kill_Bill_Pana
12-01-2008, 07:23 PM
That girl in your sig is a butterface. She's hot everywhere but her face. LOL

True. Where is good place get other gifs like these?

galvatron3000
12-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Thunder Dan:

The problem with your arguement is this, if he just wanted out why was he as stated by the Knicks organization over the summer, "doing everything we asked him to do" that doesn't sound like someone wanting to leave even though I' sure he'd like to be elsewhere. According to D'Atoni Steph has been great, it's not him at all.

Now based on what they've been saying all along he hasn't been a problem until they told him they had some minutes and ask if he would like them and he said he did't feel comfortable doing so since they told him he wasn't in their plans and alienated the guy since traing camp ended.

You can't fault a guy for being honest about not wanting to play, you can however tell him he has to play and allow him to decline or accept. Marbury's crime with other clubs is they kept trading him for better PG's regardless of his arrogant statements in the past and his youger cocky status he hsn't done the wrong here, the Knicks have and they want out of the contract and that's what started the spiral. they never had him in their plans even during camp and they just prolonged this crap thinking Steph would break and take a buyout.

Thunder Dan
12-01-2008, 07:29 PM
True. Where is good place get other gifs like these?

I was going to put a nice set of hooters as my signature too

what do you think?

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm63/moosemaninnocm/ManTits.jpg

Kobayagi
12-01-2008, 07:35 PM
It would be better if they bounced.

jack sommerset
12-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Noone should feel sorry for Marbury, the guy is RICH and has accomplished nothing but make teams he is on lose,insult other players,talk non sense and is a quitter. Best thing for that selfish prick would be to go over to Europe and maybe he can be the star he thinks he is. OVERRATED DICKHEAD.

Indazone
12-01-2008, 09:31 PM

what do you think?

I think I just lost my lunch

PM5K
12-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Marbury arrived around 2:30 p.m. and parked his Rolls Royce....

I don't know, if I was trying to get my 21 MIL I'd show up in a pinto...

Keep pimpin Starbury...

PM5K
12-01-2008, 10:03 PM
That, and the fact that hes fucked up his situation on every single team hes been on, makes me think the problem isnt the Knicks, but marbury.

Yeah, and the Knicks organization has an unblemished reputation for being a class-act organization..

Armando
12-01-2008, 10:08 PM
The Knicks even with a new management still finds a way to be the laughingstock of the league.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-01-2008, 10:13 PM

what do you think?

Jesus, man, not while I'm eating froot loops.

diego
12-02-2008, 06:05 AM
Yeah, and the Knicks organization has an unblemished reputation for being a class-act organization..

the knicks are losers. but how many disputes have they had with players? or a reputation for being cheap?

again, how many times has this happened in the history of the NBA, and what is the outcome 99% of the time. Buyout. Both sides compromise.

Indazone
12-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Jim Dolan needs to speed up end of Stephon Marbury mess

Tuesday, December 2nd 2008, 10:30 AM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2008/12/02/amd_dantoni-practice.jpg Harbus for News As Mike D'Antoni leads Knicks practice Monday, Stephon Marbury (below) finds out he is no longer welcome to work out with team.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2008/12/02/amd_marbury-meets.jpg Harbus for News As Mike D'Antoni leads Knicks practice Monday, Stephon Marbury finds out he is no longer welcome to work out with team.

Mike D'Antoni (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Mike+D'Antoni) likes his Knicks (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/New+York+Knicks) to race the ball up the court and take the first available shot, but what his bosses are doing to Stephon Marbury (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Stephon+Marbury) now is forcing him to play stall-ball. You want your money and your freedom, Steph? We'll get back to you. When? Check back with us Jan.1, at the earliest. In the meantime, don't come to games or practices. Enjoy collecting dust.

That's what they said Monday when Marbury and team president Donnie Walsh (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Donnie+Walsh) failed to reach a buyout settlement. If you're surprised by the latest twist in the never-ending, always-depressing Marbury saga, you haven't been paying close attention.
When it comes to dragging their feet at Two Penn Plaza, you've got two of the all-time slowpokes. Garden chairman Jim Dolan (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Jim+Dolan) is Eddy Curry (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Eddy+Curry) in a turtleneck.

Walsh isn't exactly Usain Bolt (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Usain+Bolt), as evidenced by his abject failure to do anything of consequence in Indiana (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Indiana) once the Pacers (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Indiana+Pacers) started to fall apart all around him. Marbury wants to play by the 24-second shot clock he's accustomed to, get his money and freedom and run all the way to Dallas (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Dallas) or some other team that is desperate enough to import one of basketball's most talented losers.
But he's stuck in a game without a clock, much less a sundial.

It's quite a contrast to what Marbury is missing out on, the playground hoops passing for NBA (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/National+Basketball+Association) basketball at the Garden. "It's like when you were a kid in the park, you just go up and down and enjoy the game," said Tim Thomas (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Tim+Thomas), neglecting to add that no one has ever won a ring playing this way.

But in this game, Dolan and Walsh have taken the air out of Marbury's ball. They will drag this out for many more days and weeks. It's a gigantic PR blunder, but since when has Dolan ever cared about that? It's got to be driving Marbury crazier than if his favorite writer didn't pick up the phone on the first ring, breathlessly waiting to put all his pearls of wisdom into another Starbury infomercial. At this point, Marbury's head must be filled with so much lawyer-talk from Walsh, he'll be able to come out in another few weeks with his own new video, "My Guide to Being a First-Rate Attorney." And there will be only one place to read all about that, thank goodness.
"Nothing has been resolved," was the official word that came down Monday.
Should it have been taken care of by now? Back in September, at the very latest. The Knicks should have paid Marbury his $22 million and told him to get lost.
That's how they would have changed the culture.

But Marbury, swift as a hare in a gym, is in a conference room going against two tortoises. Dolan hasn't made an appearance during their first couple of talks, but he's been there in spirit.

Check it out! Dallas mentioned as a home for Stephon Marbury! Oh pleeeeaase make this happen.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-02-2008, 12:45 PM
and to think there is a list of players reportedly lining up to play for this franchise in 2010...

That's the thing that keeps popping into my head with every new article and wrinkle in this saga. They can rack up a ton of cap space but this sort of thing can torpedo them a lot of ways. Maybe it gives Lebron pause. Or even if they do land Lebron this is the sort of episode that will make the next generation of Cassells and Horry's, the seasoned vets that will be needed to round out a true contender, think twice as well.

Ghazi
12-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Marbury to the Mavs, lets make it happen!

SCrew this "cancer" talk! Dude's averaged 19/7 over his career. only Oscar and Magic are the other PG's who have done this!

That's elite company... CHAMPIONSHIP company!

manu up
12-02-2008, 12:58 PM
That's the thing that keeps popping into my head with every new article and wrinkle in this saga. They can rack up a ton of cap space but this sort of thing can torpedo them a lot of ways. Maybe it gives Lebron pause. Or even if they do land Lebron this is the sort of episode that will make the next generation of Cassells and Horry's, the seasoned vets that will be needed to round out a true contender, think twice as well.
And who's to say this parade of stars even wants to play or will be motivated together? You can throw all that money out there, but inevitably someone's going to be content with their new contract and put it in cruise control.

Obstructed_View
12-02-2008, 01:01 PM

SCrew this "cancer" talk! Dude's averaged 19/7 over his career. only Oscar and Magic are the other PG's who have done this!

That's elite company... CHAMPIONSHIP company!

Yeah, that's why every team he's ever been on has gone on to a title. You should write a heartfelt letter to Mark Cuban telling him how great an idea this is. Really. Go now. Why are you still here?

galvatron3000
12-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Yeah, that's why every team he's ever been on has gone on to a title. You should write a heartfelt letter to Mark Cuban telling him how great an idea this is. Really. Go now. Why are you still here?

come on OV that's Tmac, Elton Brand, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, Shawn Kemp, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, John Stockton,etc etc

He is a headstrong guy who thinks he knows more than he does and I think he's finally realizing this but this thing with the Knicks is mostly the Knicks screwing up. The reports all say that if you read past the HEADLINE of him supposely refusing to play, which is always reported as him being guilty despite him disputing it. D'Antoni basically has stated the same in support of Marbury.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12022008/sports/knicks/teammates_sound_off_on_marbury_141846.htm

Obstructed_View
12-02-2008, 06:37 PM
I took issue with the fact that he's somehow not a team cancer because he's averaged nineteen and seven. Considering how quickly Marbury was dealt in Phoenix, I've got little doubt that D'Antoni arrived in New York with a grudge.

JamStone
12-02-2008, 06:43 PM

Isiah Thomas

Indazone
12-07-2008, 11:18 AM
and the drama continues

Marbury going to play hardball with Knicks

http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/images/2008/12/04/1ablogstephonmarbury.gif (http://blogs.usatoday.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2008/12/04/1ablogstephonmarbury.gif) Stephon Marbury's new plan to resolve the differences between him and the New York Knicks is to become more intractable.
The star guard, who was suspended earlier in the week, said he wants to be released on placed back on the team. He will not negotiate a buyout (http://www.nypost.com/seven/12042008/sports/knicks/marbury__waive_me_or_play_me__now_142578.htm).
If they give me a uniform, I'm going to go out and play," Marbury told Marc Berman of the New York Post. "It's their choice. I was getting ready to go back to practice and play." (Photo by Robert Deutsch, USA TODAY)
Marbury is making $21.9 million this year. The Knicks have been trying to shave about $3 million off of that.
"The negotiations are over," Marbury said. "That's what they don't realize. I was wrong to try to buy my freedom. The money is off the table. I came to them with the million dollars. I didn't have to give them nothing."

Kriz-Maxima
12-07-2008, 11:30 AM
For a team that throws away so much money, that hasn't cared about having overpaid guys and who supposedly want this guy out more than anything, fighting over two millions dollar seems stupid.

duncan228
12-08-2008, 01:22 AM
Stephon Marbury mum as rumors swirl (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2008/12/05/2008-12-05_stephon_marbury_mum_as_rumors_swirl-2.html)
BY Mitch Lawrence

ATLANTA - Banished Knicks guard Stephon Marbury refused to confirm or deny a report on ESPN Radio Friday night that said he was expecting to be released within a week so that he could sign with Boston, Orlando or Miami.

Reached Friday night via e-mail, Marbury refused comment. Both Florida teams have been reported to have various degrees of interest in Marbury, who has been unable to reach a buyout settlement with the Knicks and has been told to stay away from the team's games and practices indefinitely.

m33p0
12-08-2008, 01:27 AM
they should just stick him in the back oven and spare the rest of us the drama.

in other news, oj simpson was found guilty of armed robbery. he may spend the rest of his life in jail.

nobody cares anymore.

peskypesky
12-08-2008, 01:51 AM
Knicks are rich so who cares? If this was the Grizzlies or Bobcats or Thunder, then I'd feel sorry for them.