PDA

View Full Version : Blazers #4 in latest ESPN Power Rankings

tlongII
12-01-2008, 05:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking?season=2009&week=5

We see the danger lurking. The team ranked No. 1 at lunchtime Monday has a tough game Monday night against an outstanding road team from Orlando. Boston, then, is a prime target to be victimized by the famed Power Rankings jinx.

But that can't factor into the decision-making here at Stein Line HQ. As of Monday morning, no team was more deserving of the top spot in our weekly rankings than the defending champs, who have narrowly held off the steamrolling Lakers for the fourth consecutive week.

Portland (No. 9 to No. 4) and New Jersey (No. 16 to No. 9) have made hugely impressive jumps this week in our fully unautomated pulse-check of the league, but I have a feeling you'll want to focus on the ongoing battle at the top. So how did the Celts stay there? Dominant as the Lakers were in November, they have played the fewest road games in the league (one of them at Staples Center against the Clippers) and just three back-to-backs (one of which required no travel because it included that game against the Clips). As a result, Boston's dominant start impresses us just that little bit more.

sook
12-01-2008, 05:48 PM
LOL you obviously know to take those rankings with a grain of salt now :lol

SpursDynasty
12-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Again, shows how much the West teams have struggled with injuries, when Portland has the 2nd best record in the West, something is definitely wrong.

Wait for Utah and SA to regroup. The top 4 West seeds will be SA, Denver, Utah, and Phoenix by the end of the regular season.

Lakers_55
12-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Again, shows how much the West teams have struggled with injuries, when Portland has the 2nd best record in the West, something is definitely wrong.

Wait for Utah and SA to regroup. The top 5 West seeds will be Lakers, SA, Denver, Utah, and Phoenix by the end of the regular season.

fixed it for you.

Kamnik
12-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Wait for Utah and SA to regroup. The top 4 West seeds will be SA, Denver, Utah, and Phoenix by the end of the regular season.

What, Lakers so infront you dont count them? :P

tlongII
12-01-2008, 06:08 PM

Wait for Utah and SA to regroup. The top 6 West seeds will be Portland, Lakers, SA, Denver, Utah, and Phoenix by the end of the regular season.

mytespurs
12-01-2008, 06:09 PM

You didn't include the current #1 team in there. If things stand pat for the next few months, it will be the Lakers & the top 4 west teams.

Charles Barkley was interviewed on the Dan Patrick show last week and he says the Lakers (of course), the Hornets & the Jazz can win in the west and Boston/Cleveland for the east.

Though the Spurs are in injury mode and are getting older, Sir Charles has neglected to mention them as a possible contender which is puzzling considering SA's track record....I would never count out the Spurs....never count out the heart, talent albeit aging, of a 4 time world champion. :hat

But the Trailblazers look impressive........and it appears they'll only get better....things are looking up for them! :toast

turiaf for president
12-01-2008, 06:11 PM
tlong. will you shut up if the blazers lose to the lakers again? lets make a bet. if lakers win, you stop posting anything about the blazers other than game threads. if blazers win, ill go to you sticked greg oden thread everytime i log on and say tlong is a genius

barbacoataco
12-01-2008, 06:15 PM
If Portland stays healthy I think they will continue to win. I watch them nearly every game and they are winning easily even when one of their stars struggles. They have certain advantages in nearly every game because of their size, depth, youth, and talent. Last night Aldridge outplayed Rasheed in dramatic fashion and Oden got big blocks in crunch time. And Roy is playing like an Allstar. Look at his 4th quarter scoring stats where he is close to the top of the league.

Of course the regular season is only the regular season and Oden and Roy both seem injury prone. But right now I think Portland has the potential to be the New Orleans of 2009.

SpursDynasty
12-01-2008, 06:25 PM
The Lakers are a little inflated because out of 15 games, only 4 have been away from Staples. That's ridiculous. Count the Clipper game as a road game, but it was still at Staples.

I'd like to see how good they are away from the home crowd.

mytespurs
12-01-2008, 07:35 PM
The Lakers are a little inflated because out of 15 games, only 4 have been away from Staples. That's ridiculous. Count the Clipper game as a road game, but it was still at Staples.

Well, they're undefeated in those road games thus far....their only loss to date was at home so they must be doing something right.

LA24
12-02-2008, 12:20 AM

Lakers had the best road record last year in the west despite missing key players throughout the whole season. Don't worry, the road wins will eventually come.

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-02-2008, 12:49 AM
who would have ever thought that the NW would have 4th and 5th in powerrankings AND one of them of wouldn't be the Jazz :lol

Props to your team tlong. They are playing real well.

tlongII
12-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Blazers are #4 in Marty Burns SI Power Rankings as well...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/marty_burns/12/01/power.rankings/index.html?eref=T1

tlongII
12-02-2008, 09:48 AM
who would have ever thought that the NW would have 4th and 5th in powerrankings AND one of them of wouldn't be the Jazz :lol

Props to your team tlong. They are playing real well.

The Nuggets have been impressive as well. I'm a little worried about Melo though.

turiaf for president
12-02-2008, 03:32 PM
tlong. will you shut up if the blazers lose to the lakers again? lets make a bet. if lakers win, you stop posting anything about the blazers other than game threads. if blazers win, ill go to you sticked greg oden thread everytime i log on and say tlong is a genius

The Troll Whisperer
12-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Blazers are #4 in Marty Burns SI Power Rankings as well...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/marty_burns/12/01/power.rankings/index.html?eref=T1
tsst!