PDA

View Full Version : Bad Gas?

Soul_Patch
12-01-2008, 05:49 PM
My wife's 6 month old car wouldnt start this morning. I called toyota, and they sent a tow truck out to get it.

the service guy calls me this afternoon to tell me, we have bad gas in the car. Even though we get gas every time at the same walmart, we drove on this apparent bad gas for 5 days without a problem, i got gas at this walmart the same day, and have no problems....

They want us now to pay 300 bucks to fix the car.

I dont know what my recourse is. Doesnt make any sense to me, that it would be bad gas, but it is their word against mine.

Any ideas?

Drachen
12-01-2008, 05:59 PM
What did they say was bad about it? Does it have anything to do with the "up to 10% ethanol?" If they persist in telling you to pay, I would get walmart involved.

Soul_Patch
12-01-2008, 06:03 PM
That's kind of what im thinking. My wife is talking to them now. They didnt say what was bad, only that "its definately bad gas sir!"

I dont even think Walmart uses Ethanol in the gas yet. I tried calling Walmart, but just got put on hold for 10 minutes. If it would have been bad gas, it would have not worked from the get go, not 5 days later. And if Walmart was selling bad gas, wouldnt it have affected more than me?

Dex
12-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I would definitely try to get a little more detail than "bad gas."

Did the gas have too much alcohol content? Was it contaminated with water? Was there debris or corrosion, and was it from the gas or the fuel tank itself? Do they simply have to drain the gas and put clean gas in, or do they have to replace parts?

"Bad gas" sounds like a scam job to me. Cheap gasoline can cause performance issues and misfiring and such, but I wouldn't think it would lead to a whole repair job.

And if there is actually something wrong with the gasoline WalMart sold you, then I'd take them up on that.

I say either get more information from this mechanic, or have it looked at by someone else.

Obstructed_View
12-01-2008, 06:06 PM
They want you to pay 300 bucks to have them drain the gas tank? Get the car back and do it yourself. Otherwise "bad gas" is not a diagnosis. If your rings are shot or your fuel pump is ruined or if your injectors are clogged then they need to tell you that.

tlongII
I have heard that Manny has bad gas.

Soul_Patch
I agree. They are "looking into it" and are going to call me back. This is North Park Toyota i am dealing with.

I am going to question them specifically when they call back and ask what exactly is bad.

I just feel like it is going to be a he said she said battle. I cant prove it isnt bad gas, and i dont think they need to prove to me it is.

This almost sounds like something a lawyer should be involved in, but i dont want to get involved in all that cost, i just want this car to work.

Dex
12-01-2008, 06:07 PM
http://www.aa1car.com/library/us10325.htm

This site can at least arm you with some information. Check out the "Dirty Gas" section at the bottom.

Soul_Patch
12-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the information. Is there any reason the car wouldnt start at all due to bad gas?

The engine turns over repeatedly, and it smells like electrical smoke coming from the engine as you turn it over...but it doesnt start.

Drachen
12-01-2008, 06:17 PM
That's kind of what im thinking. My wife is talking to them now. They didnt say what was bad, only that "its definately bad gas sir!"

I dont even think Walmart uses Ethanol in the gas yet. I tried calling Walmart, but just got put on hold for 10 minutes. If it would have been bad gas, it would have not worked from the get go, not 5 days later. And if Walmart was selling bad gas, wouldnt it have affected more than me?

Well all the walmarts that I have been to lately have little stickers on all their pumps with a picture of corn on it and it says "gas may contain up to 10% ethanol." Once you find out what is wrong specifically with the gas, I would call walmart and complain. If that doesnt work, the call the trouble shooters or something.

Soul_Patch
12-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Well all the walmarts that I have been to lately have little stickers on all their pumps with a picture of corn on it and it says "gas may contain up to 10% ethanol." Once you find out what is wrong specifically with the gas, I would call walmart and complain. If that doesnt work, the call the trouble shooters or something.

Oh i didnt notice that, but then again i guess i dont look for it.

Good point though, ill look into that.

The service guy at Toyota asked me if i put ethanol in the car. I told him, i had no idea where you wuold even get ethanol, so no.

TDMVPDPOY
12-01-2008, 06:34 PM
hey you drive a prius? :D

mines havin problems also....unleaded petrol down here has %10-12 ethanol bland into it....but it supports it, so i see no reason whats wrong with it every time i turn on the engine is like a jet engine.....it use to be dead silent....who cares 130k km tuneup coming up this weekend anyway i hope......

AlamoSpursFan
12-01-2008, 06:34 PM
210-697-9600.

If Steve Guehrlein can't fix it, it ain't broke!

AlamoSpursFan
12-01-2008, 06:36 PM
I told him, i had no idea where you wuold even get ethanol, so no.

HEB.

Dex
12-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the information. Is there any reason the car wouldnt start at all due to bad gas?

The engine turns over repeatedly, and it smells like electrical smoke coming from the engine as you turn it over...but it doesnt start.

I'm probably not the most automotively inclined person in here. I know how to fill my car with gas and drive it.

But I've never ever heard of 'bad gas' before. And the fact that they can't give you specifics right off the bad seems a little suspicious, as well.

Soul_Patch
12-01-2008, 06:47 PM
After they called back, they said it looks watered down. They got a cup and put it next to good gas from a tank, and from another car...the tank and another car look the same, ours looks almost like water.

My wife is calling Walmart now.

leemajors
12-01-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm probably not the most automotively inclined person in here. I know how to fill my car with gas and drive it.

But I've never ever heard of 'bad gas' before. And the fact that they can't give you specifics right off the bad seems a little suspicious, as well.

from my experience, it's watered down gas, not ethanol, and usually hoses your fuel filter. my experience being twice with a 95 s10 blazer.

AlamoSpursFan
12-01-2008, 06:59 PM
A friend of mine got a new Mazda 929 once, because he bought gas at Diamond Shamrock and it was bad. Rather than fight the case, they just bought him a new car.

The problem with ethanol isn't immediate, it's long term. As I understand it, you can run 85-15 ethanol in a '79 Buick, if you wanted to, and it would run...but the solvent properties of the alcohol would dissolve the lubricants and it would dry out the gaskets.

Obstructed_View
12-01-2008, 07:30 PM
If it's watered down it's possible that the water settled to the bottom overnight and that's what the fuel pump picked up in the morning. That's the only scenario where I can see the car working the night before and then suddenly not starting. Like others have said, ethanol cooks parts over a long period of time. And like I said before, I think you just need to drain the tank and maybe put a new fuel filter in just for grins. They shouldn't need to charge you 300 bucks for that.

Biernutz
12-01-2008, 08:50 PM
You got a receipt for the gas you bought ? Take that receipt and the Toyota detailed repair report to Wal-Mart and file a complaint. If they blow you off here is how to complain---http://consumerist.com/consumer/complaint-letters/how-to-launch-an-executive-email-carpet-bomb-259713.php

Das Texan
12-01-2008, 09:26 PM
If its 6 months old, shouldnt it be under warranty?

Blake
12-01-2008, 10:06 PM
do you have any enemies that might put water in your tank?

Das Texan
12-01-2008, 10:53 PM
and somehow i really wouldnt be shocked if walmart watered their gas down in the first place.

:lol

ploto
12-01-2008, 10:59 PM
do you have any enemies that might put water in your tank?

That was my first thought-- either that or someone who stole your gas and added water. I remember someone having sugar added to their tank.

The Reckoning
12-01-2008, 11:03 PM
dont use the green pump

PM5K
12-01-2008, 11:06 PM
If its 6 months old, shouldnt it be under warranty?

Why would the warranty cover something beyond their control?

Slydragon
12-01-2008, 11:15 PM
That was my first thought-- either that or someone who stole your gas and added water. I remember someone having sugar added to their tank.

Why steal gas when the price is low.

Udokafan05
12-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Everyone should have a locking gas cap

Wild Cobra
12-02-2008, 05:46 AM
It shouldn't matter what station or at what price you buy gasoline. Any one can randomly have a contaminated fuel storage tank. However, I only buy from Chevron myself. they repeatedly have the fewest such problems.

As for ethanol. Any newer car should burn it just fine.

Now the dealer. Bring them a one gallon gas can and watch them take fuel from your tank. Tell them you want it to have recourse against the place you bought it. If they don't do so, make sure you ask why. So many things could be wrong here. Particle contaminates should be stopped by the filtering system. If the fuel filter is plugged, then believe it’s the gas. Have the filter to show Walmart.

The electrical smell cranking the engine? That should not be happening unless you crank it too long. Then you can cause even more damages!

What ever the problem is, make sure you get the offending part. The fuel filter, gas, etc. Make them justify the repairs rather than taking their word, unless you trust them from past history.

Back to where you bought your gas. You are a fool to buy cut rate gas. Walmart is cheap, but you should never use their oil change or other vehicle services, including buying gas from them. You want reputable places that live or die by the product the serve rather than the price of it. Walmart is for high volume discounts and poorly trained people normally. They don't have the profit or knowledge on gas to properly maintain their fuel storage tanks. Always use Exxon, Texaco, Cheveron, BP, etc. No Circle K, ARCO, etc.

Ooops, Actually, I think ARCO is one of the big players. I just have a personal grudge against them.

Now beyond the name brand, some stations are franchised and some corporate owned. Most of the name brand corporate stations will maintain their tanks very well. The franchise stations you may have problems with as there is inconsistent control of tank maintenance. That's why I stick with Cheveron. Unless things have changes, they boot owners out of their franchise system if they fail to meet the quality standards. Private outlets have no such thing going on.

Wild Cobra
12-02-2008, 05:51 AM
The service guy at Toyota asked me if i put ethanol in the car. I told him, i had no idea where you wuold even get ethanol, so no.

Now it is possible they put E85 in it rather than gas with 10% ethanal. 85% ethanol only works in a few cars.

Gas with 10% ethanal, and maybe up to 25% will not damage any newer vehicle. E85 is another story! It shouldn't do physical harm, but the computer doesn't know how to control the burn.

Soul_Patch
12-02-2008, 08:39 AM
We called Walmart after confirmation that the gas in the car basically looks like water. They put us in contact with the Murphy's customer support. We made a claim with them, they are sending out a claim form for us to fill out for reimbursement. No idea if that will actually work, but it is worth a shot.

The car sits in the Garage for the most part, so it is highly unlikely anyone tampered with it. Even if they did it wednesday or friday, they would have to pry it open to get to the cap, since it locks from the inside of the car.

CosmicCowboy
12-02-2008, 09:24 AM
First, water and gas don't mix. you might have water in the tank (rolling around on the bottom of the tank under the gas) for awhile before it gets picked up by the fuel pump and clogs your gas filters...

Was the gas tank less than 1/4 full? Is your wife one of those people that just puts enough fuel in to run for a few days or does she fill the tank completely when she goes to the station?

Ethanol has a tendency to promote condensation...with these warm days and cool nights if there is a lot of "air" volume in the gas tank it can literally "rain" inside the tank when the temperature drops....just like the water on the outside of an iced tea glass...

Soul_Patch
12-02-2008, 09:54 AM
No she always fills it up each time...she does run it to near empty every time too.

I am honestly completely baffled here. Other than Walmart just having bad gas, water rather than gas...or something like that...i just dont know what to make of it.

She filled up from empty on Wednesday at Walmart. Ran Wednesday a lot, Thursday we drove at least 80 miles...and she drove all over town shopping friday. The car sat Saturday and Sunday...then the problem arose monday.

After burning a half tank of the supposed, bad gas.

TwAnKiEs
12-02-2008, 09:56 AM
I knew someone that has this same problem with his new explorer. Got "bad gas" found that is was really watered down from the station he put it at. The ford dealership replaced the gas tank and made sure nothing else would give him problems and i believe sent to bill to the station. Good luck.

Soul_Patch
12-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Im tempted to call those news watchdog people...troubleshooters or whatever...this is the kind of stuff they live for right?

ORION
12-02-2008, 10:14 AM
A woman has been known to do odd things. Maybe she pulled up to the air compressor station and pumped water in thinking "Wow gas for a quarter !!". Do you remember her saying "Honey I got gas for a quarter" and you thought she said "gas is down a quarter"

BacktoBasics
12-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Go back to the walmart and pump some additional gas from the same pump and see if it looks consistant with what you have. Worth a shot.

Soul_Patch
12-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Go back to the walmart and pump some additional gas from the same pump and see if it looks consistant with what you have. Worth a shot.

I thought about it, but it was almost a week ago, so id asume they have had a refill by now.