PDA

View Full Version : Popovich says trade unlikely for Spurs

Kori Ellis
02-24-2005, 01:22 AM
Popovich says trade unlikely for Spurs
Web Posted: 02/24/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022405.9C.BKNspurs.notebook.da1afefe.html

The Spurs haven't made an in-season trade in more than nine years. Coach Gregg Popovich thinks that streak will continue, although the team continues to explore its options before today's 2 p.m. deadline.

"This is our team and we want it to keep getting better and better," Popovich said. "If somebody makes a call to us and we thought it made our team better than we would have to entertain it.

"So far nobody has called with a deal that makes our team better."

Although the Spurs are fairly pleased with their roster, they have looked at trade opportunities involving Malik Rose because unloading his contract — which has four years and $27.2 million remaining after this season — would improve their longterm financial flexibility.

The Spurs had conversations with Golden State about forward Clifford Robinson before the Warriors traded him to New Jersey. Toronto is considering offers for forward Donyell Marshall, but has shown little interest in absorbing Rose's contract.

The Spurs' last in-season trade was on Feb. 8, 1996, when they sent J.R. Reid, Brad Lohaus and a first-round pick to New York for Charles Smith and Monty Williams. None of those players are in the league.

"We've made as many calls as anybody else," Popovich said. "But given the past, where we've been all the way on trade calls with the league, and they haven't gone through, I wouldn't expect anything to happen."

Popovich was referring to last season when New York agreed to a deal involving Rose and Knicks center Kurt Thomas, but suddenly backed out when the teams were finalizing the trade with NBA attorneys.

Comings and goings: The Spurs activated point guard Mike Wilks on Wednesday afternoon. To make room for him, they placed forward Sean Marks on the injured list.

Horry sits: Popovich elected to sit Robert Horry to give him more rest. Horry has been playing with a slight fracture in his right fibula.

Bench changes: Beno Udrih did not play for only the second game this season. Popovich said he is going to give Devin Brown and Brent Barry more minutes over the next few games to try to get them in a rhythm.

Helping hand: Tim Duncan and his wife, Amy, presented the Cancer Therapy and Research Center with a $200,000 grant at halftime.

The grant, which will go to the center's patient assistance fund, was funded through Duncan's annual charity bowling event, which raised $135,000 last month. His foundation contributed additional money.

Sura sidelined: The Rockets will be without starting point guard Bob Sura for at least the next 10 days because of inflammation in scar tissue surrounding his vertebrae. Sura practiced with the team on Monday, but awakened Tuesday with troublesome back pain.

timvp
02-24-2005, 01:24 AM
Bench changes: Beno Udrih did not play for only the second game this season. Popovich said he is going to give Devin Brown and Brent Barry more minutes over the next few games to try to get them in a rhythm.

That doesn't make sense to me. Why are you going to bench a rookie point guard who still has a lot to learn for two players who should know what their role is by now? Plus Beno has been playing very well in February so far. It's not like he could have lost his spot.

Either there is something more to the story or Pop got some good smokes over the All-Star break.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-24-2005, 01:25 AM
If Pop says no trade is forthcoming and that Beno didn't play b/c they want to get other guys into a better rhythm, my Pop Secret decoder ring says that means a deal is forthcoming involving Beno.

MannyIsGod
02-24-2005, 01:26 AM
Beno hasn't been playing well as of late. Look at his numbers.

timvp
02-24-2005, 01:29 AM
Beno hasn't been playing well as of late. Look at his numbers.

February numbers:

47.8% from the field
50.0% from three
83.3% from the line
18.5 points per 48 minutes.

Whatcha talkin' bout Willis?

Kori Ellis
You look at his numbers. In six games in February, he's shooting 47.8% from the field and 50% from three.

T Park
Plus Beno has been playing very well in February so far

I know off the top of my head about 1 good game he had.

Other than that, hes been pretty nonexistent.

T Park
02-24-2005, 01:30 AM
18.5 points per 48 minutes

The per 48 min stat, IMO is worthless.

Just my opinion.

timvp
02-24-2005, 01:31 AM
:wtf

Over his last five games:

52.6% shooting from the field
60% shooting from three
83.3% from the line
19.5 points per 48 minutes

SequSpur
I don't buy into that 48 minute crap.

Beno getting significant minutes against the top guards in the NBA would exploit his youthfulness and inexperience in the NBA.

He shines for a few minutes here and there, but no way does he ever get significant playing time.

timvp
The per 48 min stat, IMO is worthless.

Just my opinion.

And the shooting percentages?

Kori Ellis
02-24-2005, 01:32 AM
Beno had a bad shooting month in January. But in the six games this month, he's back up to very solid shooting numbers.

SequSpur
02-24-2005, 01:33 AM
He is a good shooter. He usually takes smart shots and his shots are usually calculated, so I expect him to have a decent percentage.

Dude has more splinters than minutes.. not worthy of an argument.

Kori Ellis
02-24-2005, 01:34 AM
We aren't arguing that he's worth being a starter. He's a young bench player and that's it. timvp simply said that he's played well in February and Manny argued that.

Manny is wrong.

MannyIsGod
02-24-2005, 01:34 AM
I'm suprised those shooting numbers are what they are, I'm looking up all the stats on a game by game basis now. Hold up.

ChumpDumper
02-24-2005, 01:36 AM
Trading Beno or welfare for Barry and Brown?

I'd believe either.

CIA.

T Park
02-24-2005, 01:38 AM
Either way, I think tonight was about Wesley playing PG and the matchups being too quick and big for Beno.

But if this is true, pretty dumb move.

timvp
02-24-2005, 01:38 AM
What makes this even harder to believe is that Pop put in Wilks in garbage time over Beno. If Beno was just out of the rotation, wouldn't he put him in just like he would any other player?

Perhaps Pop knew that by giving Beno a DNP-CD, he'd raise a few eyebrows.

:smokin :drunk

Kori Ellis
02-24-2005, 01:40 AM
It's too hard to guess. It might be a disciplinary issue or something. Pop's never going to say that in the press.

T Park
02-24-2005, 01:42 AM
Or maybe Beno's hand was giving him problems.

Trying to look into Pop's moves is like looking into one of those multi colored paintings were after staring a while the picture will pop out.

If you keep doing it, and nothing happens, your just gonna blow up your skull.

Id stay away from the specualtion about what Pop thought, who knows what the fuck he thinks sometimes.

TheWriter
02-24-2005, 01:44 AM
Pop said the same thing last year. And guess what, Malik was ten minutes from being a New York Knick.

MannyIsGod
02-24-2005, 01:46 AM
Ok, if you take out the 2 games where Beno shined, it's not nearly as pretty. And those 2 games were against 2 horrible teams, Charolette and New Orleans.

4 other games:

FG 4-12 33%
3P 2-5 40%
FT 3-4 75%
14.5 pp48

NO/Char.

FG 7 - 11 63%
3PT 1 -2 50%
FT 2-2 100%
PER 48 23.3

Those 2 games have over inflated his stats for the month.

His assist turnover ration is 1.5 to 1, but he did have 3 of his 4 TO's in one game, so that's not really accurate.

timvp
02-24-2005, 01:46 AM
Pop said the same thing last year. And guess what, Malik was ten minutes from being a New York Knick.

Hmmmm ... you may be on to something. Let me research this.

:smokin

SequSpur
02-24-2005, 01:48 AM
again.... dude does not get enough playing time to make this a worthy argument.

I can sum up Beno real quick.

Good shooter, rookie, young, handles the ball well, rookie, young, hustles, rookie, young, fairly exciting to watch, rookie, young....

that's beno.

T Park
02-24-2005, 01:49 AM
I thought you thought he sucked.....

timvp
02-24-2005, 01:50 AM
Ok, if you take out the 2 games where Beno shined, it's not nearly as pretty. And those 2 games were against 2 horrible teams, Charolette and New Orleans.

4 other games:

FG 4-12 33%
3P 2-5 40%
FT 3-4 75%
14.5 pp48

NO/Char.

FG 7 - 11 63%
3PT 1 -2 50%
FT 2-2 100%
PER 48 23.3

Those 2 games have over inflated his stats for the month.

His assist turnover ration is 1.5 to 1, but he did have 3 of his 4 TO's in one game, so that's not really accurate.

Well yeah, he's a bench player. You can mix and match any bench player's game log and make them look good or bad. But after struggling in January, he's picked it up in February. He's coming off of his best game in a while and played in the rookie game. They also reported on TV that he's healthy.

It'd be an odd time for the Spurs to all of a sudden change direction and go with Brent Barry at point guard for the first time all season.

Weird.

Kori Ellis
02-24-2005, 01:52 AM
dude does not get enough playing time to make this a worthy argument.

True. He's only shooting the ball about 3 times a game lately. So you can't really judge much from that at all. He'll eventually be a good ball player. He's very poised and steady and does what he is told. So I don't buy Pop's DNP-CD excuse of wanting to give Barry/Devin some more time. Something's up. And like most things related to the Spurs, we probably will never know exactly what.

MannyIsGod
02-24-2005, 01:53 AM
I still don't think he's playing much better than in January. He's had a couple of good games, but the consitency that was there with him earlier in the year is gone. But that's been gone for awhile.

Actually, it's something that has happend to the entire bench lately. Inconsistent.

2pac
02-24-2005, 01:54 AM
I thought this was unnecessary on Pop's part.

"Nobody wants that fuckstick [Malik] Rose," Popovich said. "He makes up for no skills by being short. Who the hell gave him that bigass contract?"

Popavich later admitted that Rose was only overpaid because it was necessary to keep Tim Duncan. "We knew we had to keep Antonio Daniels or Malik Rose," Popavich said. "We went with the one who beat up less Jews in pickup basketball games. Apparently, we were wrong."

MannyIsGod
02-24-2005, 01:54 AM
I don't think Beno is going anywhere, and that's just fine with me. He's shown more than enough promise this year to warrant keeping him around.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-24-2005, 01:55 AM
Did no one read my original post in this thread? When Pop's saying one thing, that pretty much guarantees he's running 180 degrees the other way.

T Park
02-24-2005, 01:59 AM
then runs 180 the other direction.

Hes worse than a spinning quarter on marble.

wildbill2u
02-24-2005, 12:49 PM
If Pop says no trade is forthcoming and that Beno didn't play b/c they want to get other guys into a better rhythm, my Pop Secret decoder ring says that means a deal is forthcoming involving Beno.

Gee, my secret decoder ring says Pop is a straight shooter who means what he says to the media. I can't remember any devious lie that Pop ever told in order to fool someone about his intentions. Buy maybe some posters can--and will. :rolleyes

I'm gonna give him the league exception for reasons why people are put on IR. :lol

Spurs_rock05
02-25-2005, 12:25 AM
you DAMN liar POP

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-25-2005, 12:28 AM
wildbill - You must not have been a Spurs fan very long. Pop has bullshitted the media since he got here. I can't remember him ever telling the media anything that came remotely close to the truth ahead of time regarding personnel moves (outside of the obvious "we're gonna go re-sign Tim").

I think I figured it out...

Spurs_rock05 = Spursgal

Useruser666
02-25-2005, 11:38 AM
I thought he did not play Beno because Beno has been a little banged up. That and we have the IR full already.

Kori Ellis
02-25-2005, 11:39 AM
He said there was nothing wrong with Beno and that he didn't play him because he wanted to give Barry/Devin some minutes and get them into rhythm. It doesn't make much sense, but oh well.

We'll see how much Beno plays tomorrow.

alamo50
02-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich will be available following tonight’s Spurs Drug Free League Clinic at the Harlandale Recreation Center (300 Sussex ).

CosmicCowboy
02-25-2005, 02:10 PM
Pop to RC:

"You offerred Layden WHAT?...hell...even HE'S not stupid enough to take THAT deal...damn...another year without getting a deal done at the trading deadline..."

ShoogarBear
02-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Layden????? If they were trying to make a deal with Layden that might explain a lot. Maybe they were also trying to get Red Holzman to pick up his celly, too.

I can't believe you guys are wasting this much space trying to figure out Pop's rotations. You'd have a better shot at figuring out ducks' syntax.

Spurs_rock05
02-25-2005, 04:12 PM
Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich will be available following tonight’s Spurs Drug Free League Clinic at the Harlandale Recreation Center (300 Sussex ).

hmm? he dares to come out of his house he must have balls