PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Return Of Spurs' Backcourt Stars Means New Roles For Mason, Hill

duncan228
12-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Return of Spurs’ backcourt stars means new roles for Mason, Hill (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Return_of_Spurs_backcourt_stars_means_new_roles_fo r_Mason_Hill.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Spurs guard Roger Mason Jr. was an architecture major, not a math major, at the University of Virginia. Yet even he can read the arithmetic on the wall.

There are 48 minutes in a regulation NBA basketball game. Only five players can play at a time.

With the recent addition of erstwhile injured guards Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker to the lineup, Mason is prepared for the inevitable subtraction to come in his minutes. In fact, he is looking forward to it.

“It’s a great thing,” Mason said. “Manu and Tony command so much attention out there. It’s going to help the rest of us get a lot of open looks and make us that much stronger.”

During the injury-plagued first act to their season, the most encouraging storyline for the Spurs has been the rapid emergence of two newcomers: Mason, the sugary sweet shooter signed away from Washington during free agency, and George Hill, point-guard gold the team found with the 26th pick in the June draft.

Mason is averaging 33.8 minutes per game, second on the team to Tim Duncan and more than double his career average. Afforded a larger role due to the Spurs’ backcourt injuries, Mason has made the most of it, scoring 14.8 points per game and fostering a reputation as one of the NBA’s deadliest deep threats.

Through 16 games, Mason has made 43 3-pointers, hitting them at a 52.4-percent clip, to rank second in the league in both categories. Hill, meanwhile, is averaging 11.1 points to become a steady cog in the Spurs’ rotation.

With those two joining the likes of Parker and Ginobili, as well as Michael Finley and Ime Udoka, the Spurs own perhaps the deepest collection of guards during coach Gregg Popovich’s tenure. For Popovich, the trick now will be finding enough minutes for all of them.

“That’s always part of it, figuring out what the rotation is going to be,” Popovich said. “The sooner we can do that, the better.”

That task resumes tonight at the AT&T Center, when the Spurs face a Detroit team in the midst of a backcourt makeover of its own.

On Nov. 3, the Pistons sent Chauncey Billups to Denver to acquire Allen Iverson, a dazzling score-first (and second and third) lead guard whose game may or may not mesh with Richard Hamilton’s.

The Pistons have gone 6-6 since, struggling to recreate the chemistry they enjoyed under Billups.

In a way, Detroit players are still feeling themselves out.

“It’s kind of like training camp right now,” Iverson said.

The Spurs, in some small way, know the feeling. Back-to-back nights late last week alternately showed the inherent potential of the Spurs’ semi-new backcourt, as well as the enormity of the chemistry project that lies ahead.

In a 109-98 victory over Memphis on Friday, the first game the Spurs played this season with both Parker and Ginobili in tow, those two combined with Mason and Hill to total 61 points.

A night later, in a 103-84 loss at Houston, none of the above played particularly well. Mason (eight points) and Hill (three) each endured his second-lowest scoring night of the season.

“I think we kind of forgot about them a little bit,” Ginobili said. “Tony and me have to realize they are both great players, and we have to involve them a bit more.”

A critical question going forward is what becomes of Mason.

Having started at shooting guard and point guard this season, Mason’s versatility has been vital. One way or another, he figures to play an essential role in the Spurs’ immediate future.

“He’s been everything we expected, plus,” Popovich said. “He’s really saved us at times.”

Mason’s goal for his first week of practices with Ginobili: Just don’t get hit in the face with the ball.

“He makes these crazy passes that just somehow find you,” Mason said. “You better be ready.”

For Mason and Hill, there will be more crazy passes to come and, with them, more opportunities ahead. That much is guaranteed, even if minutes might not be.

ClingingMars
12-02-2008, 12:49 AM
He went to UVa. Mason is smart enough to figure out he's going to get less playing time, and it's clear that he's accepted that. Great. tell me something I didn't know, McDonald. please.

-Mars

scanry
12-02-2008, 01:00 AM
He went to UVa. Mason is smart enough to figure out he's going to get less playing time, and it's clear that he's accepted that. Great. tell me something I didn't know, McDonald. please.

-Mars

Exactly, and i bet the Mason is smart enough to write a far better article than Mcdonald.

God i miss Ludden. Man he was the only great writer Express news ever had and they lost him to Yahoo.

Manufan909
12-02-2008, 01:44 AM
Manu better damn well remember him, with the way Mason(and Bonner, of course) are shooting, Manu needs to drive and kick a bit more, since they're both over 50% right now, and Fin is back to bricking open 3s.

Hopefully a 3 guard rotation can work a majority of the games, cuz I want Mason to at least stay close to his average minutes(28 is all I'm asking for Pop, make it happen), if he has to play 7-10 at SF, so be it. It's not like he's WAYYYY smaller than Bowen (are 2" really significant?), and IIRC, he is a decent post defender. Though Battier did go off on him, so idk.:lol

All in all, this is a great problem to have.

GSH
12-02-2008, 01:52 AM
“I think we kind of forgot about them a little bit,” Ginobili said. “Tony and me have to realize they are both great players, and we have to involve them a bit more.”

I think that's a ridiculous freakin' understatement.

Yorae
12-02-2008, 03:08 AM
The Spurs got a lot of work to do. It is a great problem to have yes, but if not addressed immediately the Spurs are in big trouble. And I hope Chip would keep on working on GHill's shot.

wisnub
12-02-2008, 03:40 AM
This is a really exciting news....we havent got backcourt as deep as now for long time...i think the way its been in the past is always about big men and one or two scorers in back court. For the first time in two years i got confidence with the current roster, the question still remain with Mahinmi. Anyone knows his updates? If he can crash in and give nice surpises that will be awesome...I believe he is strong enough to dunking the ball all over the place,smart enough when playing post and display sick blocking and start racking up rebounds. If that happens then we can start talking about getting 5th championships.

George Gervin's Afro
12-02-2008, 08:01 AM
I noticed we were VERY stagnant with TP on the floor Saturday. I understand Tony has to get his game back but we aren't good enough to piss away possessions with him working on his shot during a game.

mrspurs
12-02-2008, 08:26 AM
I noticed we were VERY stagnant with TP on the floor Saturday. I understand Tony has to get his game back but we aren't good enough to piss away possessions with him working on his shot during a game.

I think considering Hills never played much point. The Spurs are in better shape then even they thought. I think the FO is surprised with this record. Now that Manu and TP are back it will take a few quarters for Pop to figure out how to play them without taking away the positive minutes Hill and Roger were giving the spurs. And lets not forget, Pop still has to figure out what todo once they bring in another center. (And they must). Then again with Fab and Kurt, it shouldnt be to hard to come in and make some positive plays without taking to much time. I cannot wait for one of these guys tobe permantly benched or traded to another team. No matter how hard the FO works on blending in all the small guys on this team. It will be for nothing imo if they dont get Tim some help soon. And the whole NBA knows it. We're still an easy team to beat with layups and alley-oops. And if we're not hitting our 3s we're most likely not gonna win the game. And thats against weak teams. Its our hustle of rookies and new players along with 3 point shooting that has allowed us to have this record. Not team defense or the great play of one individual.

dbestpro
12-02-2008, 11:25 AM
The key is to pass to the open man. Last year Manu and Tony had to create and force shots in their own. They have to learn to trust the new guys and play like a team. Parker can no longer afford playing 1 on 5. He must become a better assist man for this team to gel.

Bruno
12-02-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm not at all worry about that.
Mason, Hill, Parker and Ginobili aren't stupid ballhogs. They just need some times to find their places. Just be a little patient.

SenorSpur
12-02-2008, 12:43 PM
The key is to pass to the open man. Last year Manu and Tony had to create and force shots in their own. They have to learn to trust the new guys and play like a team. Parker can no longer afford playing 1 on 5. He must become a better assist man for this team to gel.

I know Pop has long encouraged both he and Manu to score and create opportunities for themselves. The key to this strategy is knowing how to affect the game when they're not knocking down shots. They must be cognizant as to how to create easy opportunities for others on the team. Since this team has more firepower than last year, that is a critical element.

pawe
12-02-2008, 03:11 PM
do i smell a lil bit of drama here between Manu/tony and Mason/Hill?

smeagol
12-02-2008, 04:39 PM
do i smell a lil bit of drama here between Manu/tony and Mason/Hill?

You've lost your sense of smell