PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Celtics so good?

12-02-2008, 01:18 AM
celtics have just beat the magic for their nine straight win, i wonder what's so special about them. they have beaten fairly competitive teams like the pistons, cavs, rockets, magic for than a few times. if you compare them to the spurs, the spurs have a better big three and the same commitment to defense. the veteran players on the celtics are nothing special yet they cruised through last season and looks ready to repeat it. is it because of paul pierce? i think it's more of the contributions from kendrick perkins and rajon rondo. both know how to play their respective positions very well.

DPG21920
12-02-2008, 01:19 AM
Health, and the Spurs defense was not as good as the Celtics defense last year.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-02-2008, 01:19 AM
Celtics Defense >>> Spurs Defense

Same was true last year as well.

12-02-2008, 01:25 AM
what players do the celtics have that play better defense than the spurs?

mystargtr34
12-02-2008, 01:26 AM
Perkins > Any of our C's

And i think they close out better, they have better athletes.

DPG21920
12-02-2008, 01:27 AM
When both teams are fully healthy Spurs are better. That has not been the case.

Allanon
12-02-2008, 01:31 AM
celtics have just beat the magic for their nine straight win, i wonder what's so special about them. they have beaten fairly competitive teams like the pistons, cavs, rockets, magic for than a few times. if you compare them to the spurs, the spurs have a better big three and the same commitment to defense. the veteran players on the celtics are nothing special yet they cruised through last season and looks ready to repeat it. is it because of paul pierce? i think it's more of the contributions from kendrick perkins and rajon rondo. both know how to play their respective positions very well.

The Celtics are a solid team with solid role players.

Their team knows how to grab and push just enough to not get a foul call.

Rajon Rondo is still their weakness since he's still not a good jump shooter. Teams are losing to the Celtics because they're honoring Rajon's shot. Slack off Rondo and make him become the main offensive weapon, don't let him create for others.

Rajon's natural ability is a drive and kick playmaker, turn him into a jump-shooter and watch the Celtics stagnate. The Celtics often kill you with 3 pointers, don't let Rajon penetrate and those open 3's are removed. Live with guarding KG 1 on 1, that will stop the easy looks by Ray Allen and Eddie House.

12-02-2008, 01:45 AM
i don't know.. celtics beat down the lakers pretty decisively.

Allanon
12-02-2008, 01:53 AM
i don't know.. celtics beat down the lakers pretty decisively.

No doubt. The Lakers didn't stand a chance last year, that's why all the Laker fans were talking about Bynum.

Celtics last year were MUCH larger than the Lakers, Odom can't be a Power Forward when playing the Celtic starters.

This year with Bynum at Center and Pau at PF, the size balance has decisively shifted to the Lakers. More importantly, KG can't go give help to Perkins without Pau being open.

Secondly, the Celtics have traded in James Posey for Tony Allen. Posey bothers Kobe, alot. Tony Allen will not.

Off the Bench, the Lakers will have Odom, Ariza and Farmar as aggressive attackers with Sasha sportin' the 3 ball and either Pau or Bynum as an interior threat.

My theory is that losing Posey and PJ Brown killed the Celtics advantage over the Lakers. Christmas Day will say whether or not I'm right as I think the Lakers win the game easily.

DPG21920
12-02-2008, 02:11 AM
I do not think you can read into too much, what if the Celts were to beat the Lakers by 20? Would you really think what you outlined above has no merit?

Allanon
12-02-2008, 02:21 AM
I actually do. This is the Lakers coming out party on Christmas Day. If they can't beat the Celtics convincingly on Christmas Day with all eyes on them, they are a disappointment.

If they win, I'd give them a 90% chance of beating the Celtics in a Finals rematch.

If they lose, I'd drop their chances to 25% of beating the Celtics in a Finals rematch (unless they redeem themselves with a blowout of the Celtics in February in Boston).

This assumes that all major players are healthy.

Of course the Playoffs are a different animal and it might be 2 other teams than the Celtics and Lakers when it's all said and done.

mystargtr34
12-02-2008, 02:26 AM
im really looking forward to that game.

Allanon
12-02-2008, 02:29 AM
im really looking forward to that game.

Touche...I'm also looking forward to the Spurs/Suns game. Probably the best Christmas double-header in years.

Just noticed,

Hornets @ Orlando
Mavs @ Blazers at night

Great day of games.

RsxPiimp
12-02-2008, 02:44 AM
No one would even be talking about the Celtics if the Lakers were healthy in the finals. This team is not good on defense, they just get away with a ton of grabbing and holding, just like the Jazz at home. The refs were bias towards the C's and they took full advantage of it. Come the 25th of Dec. the C's will be exposed for the pretenders they are. No more chest pounding, no more fake injuries, just another team fading into oblivion for another 22 years. They better enjoy this last title, because if it wasnt for one of their very own, they would have never even had a good team to start with.

From the owner on down to the ball boys, WE WANT THE CELTICS!!!

healthy or not, lakers would've had their asses handed to them by last years celtics.

balli
12-02-2008, 02:47 AM
I think when healthy the Lakers beat the Celtics over 7 games.

To answer the op's question though: IMO it's three really cliche things, in this order.

1. Tom Thibodeau

2. KG is THE best leader in the game and I guarantee his practice habits and influence trickle down. Rondo, Perk and Powe are all miles ahead of where they otherwise would be without KG in their ears and practice gym.

3. Pierce is playing the best ball of his life- even better than 05-06 when he was more or less LeBron... a little less. But the point is, even though he's scoring less, he's just playing better these days, making better decisions, taking better shots, last season anyway his TO's were way down, he's much more defensively committed. Again, probably somewhat a result of playing with KG, but Pierce has been a much better player the past two years.

cze1860
12-02-2008, 02:56 AM
thst‘s easy,they have BIG 3

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-02-2008, 03:18 AM
The Nuggets beat the Celtics at home, and they were on the back end of a b2b. Celtics are 2008-08 Fakers :smokin

The Lakers are more scary than the Celtics this season

mystargtr34
12-02-2008, 03:26 AM
The Nuggets beat the Celtics at home, and they were on the back end of a b2b. Celtics are 2008-08 Fakers :smokin

The Lakers are more scary than the Celtics this season

Pistons also beat LA at Staples but were blown out at the Garden

Ghazi
12-02-2008, 05:10 AM
Garnett is overrated. Best leader in the game my ass, Pierce leads on the court, Garnett leads by talking smack to lottery teams.

Ghazi
12-02-2008, 05:12 AM
I actually do. This is the Lakers coming out party on Christmas Day. If they can't beat the Celtics convincingly on Christmas Day with all eyes on them, they are a disappointment.

If they win, I'd give them a 90% chance of beating the Celtics in a Finals rematch.

If they lose, I'd drop their chances to 25% of beating the Celtics in a Finals rematch (unless they redeem themselves with a blowout of the Celtics in February in Boston).

Of course the Playoffs are a different animal and it might be 2 other teams than the Celtics and Lakers when it's all said and done.

Uhuh, putting way too much emphasis on the regular season buddy. I doubt the outcome of a December game can sway the odds of a team winning 65% either way.

Ghazi
12-02-2008, 05:16 AM
It pains me that drama queens like Pierce and Bryant and fake superstars like Garnett are on the two best teams in basketball... pains me badly!

What's worse, it's the Lakers and the fucking Celtics? God dammit.

Obstructed_View
12-02-2008, 05:38 AM
No one would even be talking about the Lakers if the Spurs were healthy in the conference finals.

Wow, that was easy. We can play this game all day!

sonic21
12-02-2008, 07:59 AM
It pains me that drama queens like Pierce and Bryant and fake superstars like Garnett are on the two best teams in basketball... pains me badly!

What's worse, it's the Lakers and the fucking Celtics? God dammit.

:tu +1

tlongII
12-02-2008, 09:41 AM
I'll let you know how good they are on Friday night. :smokin

Lakers_55
12-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Well, from a Laker point of view, I see the Celtics are winning to keep pace with the Lakers. We all know without HCA last season, Boston is ousted by either the Hawks or Cavs. It wouldn't surprise me if both Lakers and Celtics are still riding their winning streaks come Christmas day, or close to that. Face it, until proven otherwise, these are the best teams in the east and the west. Everyone else is trying to adjust.

Boston Pancake
12-02-2008, 09:55 AM
We all know without HCA last season, Boston is ousted by either the Hawks or Cavs.

Just like we all know that if David Stern didn't gift wrap Pau Gasol, the Lakers would have got their asses kicked by the Spurs.

1Parker1
12-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Celtics role players are a lot better than the Spurs role players at this point. They are younger, fresher, and more better defensively.

Spurs right now are getting basically no production for their combo centers in Kurt Thomas/Oberto and next to nothing from guys like Udoka and Bowen has slipped offensively recently as well and Finley is Finley on defense.

Lakers_55
12-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Just like we all know that if David Stern didn't gift wrap Pau Gasol, the Lakers would have got their asses kicked by the Spurs.

You are showing weakness! That's what all the west was crying last year. I never saw a Celtic fan whine about it until now. We know already you are scared of the Lakers....

Oh, and had the Spurs beaten us last year, they would have won it all. That was their chance at the respect they deserve, and the cementing the debateable dynasty status they have flirted with for years.

Boston Pancake
12-02-2008, 10:52 AM
You are showing weakness! That's what all the west was crying last year. I never saw a Celtic fan whine about it until now. We know already you are scared of the Lakers....

Lookit fuckstick, I wasn't complaining. I was pointing out the obvious. See, the mighty Celtics would have kicked the shit out of your pansy ass team whether you had Gasol, Bynum, or Wilt Chamberlain playing center. We don't give a shit, we're just gonna beat your ass.

I'm merely speaking for the other Western Conference humps that got screwed over by David Stern. The Lakers are a joke of a franchise, and have had to cry whine and cheat their way to semi-respectability. And they still get owned by Boston.

Sorry, but you've always been little brother to the Celtics, and you always will.

stretch
12-02-2008, 10:53 AM

Oh, and had the Spurs beaten us last year, they would have won it all. That was their chance at the respect they deserve, and the cementing the debateable dynasty status they have flirted with for years.

To be fair, that trade was a little strange. Yeah, I understand the expiring contracts and all that stuff, but for some reason, I have a hard time believing that if it was the Mavericks making that exact same trade, it would not have been approved. I don't think there is any question that the league does show some favoritism to teams like the Lakers and Celtics, and I can't blame them either, because those are the main two teams that have really made the NBA as popular as it is.

However, I can't argue the point that the Spurs would have beaten the Celtics. The main reason that the Lakers lost is because of their poor defense, reliance on jumpshots, and poor mental stability... all of which are things the Spurs do not have problems with.

Lakers_55
12-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Sorry, but you've always been little brother to the Celtics, and you always will.
As I said, keep posting, it's so easy to own you. I already pointed this out before, but here it is...
1972, 1973, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2002, 2009 coming.

Boston lost to us in finals, or in ECF each of those years while we went on to finals. Most of the time, Celtics even had HCA in ECF. I believe only time was 2002 they didn't.

Enjoy 2008, that's all you get!

Boston Pancake
12-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Enjoy 2008, that's all you get!

131-92

tlongII
12-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Friday, December 5th.

Allanon
12-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Friday, December 5th.

Blazers would have a pretty good swagger if they can beat the Celtics in Boston.

I think they havfe the size to do it, do they have the heart?

Lakers_55
12-02-2008, 11:22 AM
131-92

There is a historical example of this kind of game in the rivalry...It was called the Boston Massacre, or the Memorial Day Massacre. Game 1, NBA finals, 1985. Celtics were mad that all the talk was how LA should have won in 1984. (Even the Boston players, such as Bird admitted Celtics should have lost in 4 games).

Game one:
Mon, May 27, 1985 @ Boston Celtics L 114 148
No one could miss that afternoon for Boston. Let's see how the Lakers responded.

Kareem was called out as too old, he responded:
Thu, May 30, 1985 @ Boston Celtics W 109 102
Sun, Jun 2, 1985 Boston Celtics W 136 111
Wed, Jun 5, 1985 Boston Celtics L 105 107
Fri, Jun 7, 1985 Boston Celtics W 120 111

Now, the series went back to Boston and all the talk was how the Celtics never lost a game 7 finals game at home. They still haven't!
Sun, Jun 9, 1985 @ Boston Celtics W 111 100
Kareem was named MVP of the series. Lakers won 2 of 3 both in LA and in Boston.

Magic is a co-owner of the Lakers, and you know he will bring this (131-92) game up if we meet again!

Keep trying, this is fun!

jacobdrj
12-02-2008, 11:29 AM
They have a plethora of depth coming off the bench at key positions, and a coach willing to use all of them.

tlongII
12-02-2008, 11:36 AM
It will probably come down to the officiating.

Allanon
12-02-2008, 11:44 AM
It will probably come down to the officiating.

Blazers aren't ready if they let it come down to officiating.

If a game comes down to a couple of bad ref calls, neither team deserved the win but somebody has to.

Staff Sgt. Dignam
12-02-2008, 11:46 AM
They were just a lucky team that squeeked into the finals, and met up with an injured Lakers team. Nothing impressive about that at all.

Who the fuck do you think you are, you lace curtain motherfucker? Let me tell you something... the Celtics were not fucking lucky. They were the champions you piece of shit. I ought to slam your head through a plate glass window you pussy.

TheMadHatter
12-02-2008, 11:48 AM
I get the feeling all of these Celtic fans are actually the same person.

Staff Sgt. Dignam
12-02-2008, 11:51 AM
I get the feeling all of these Celtic fans are actually the same person.

Hello there Jeff, you lace curtain motherfucker. Been dining on any K-Fucking-C bowls lately you piece of trash?

TheMadHatter
12-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Hello there Jeff, you lace curtain motherfucker. Been dining on any K-Fucking-C bowls lately you piece of trash?

I knew it. You're mono.

Staff Sgt. Dignam
12-02-2008, 12:27 PM
I knew it. You're mono.

What the fuck did you just call me? Who gave you permission to talk, dickhead? Let me tell you something... I run rat fucks like you. Don't let me catch you speaking without permission again, you lace curtain motherfucker.

lil_penny
12-02-2008, 12:37 PM
eh put buddah on my corn and eat it fa suppah.. traffic sucks in beantown too much bumpadabumpah almost got in a fendabendah, alot of the drivers are retahded not too mention some jag off tried to steal my khakis.

IronMexican
12-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Can we get a vbookie a week before the Celtics vs Lakers? I think I wont be on here, and I got 25 big ones to spend.

Solid D
12-02-2008, 01:00 PM
The Celts clearly were the best defensive team last season and appear to be one of the best defensive squads again this season. They close-out on shooters better than most teams, they hustle like crazy, they collapse the lane better than most, and they play with physicality. Luck and good fortune have nothing to do with their success, except in the area of injuries or lack thereof.

Pierce and Garnett are ultimate competitors and if all else fails, Pierce makes plays when the shot clock is down to 2. They have added the Walberg dribble-drive offense to their arsenal. No other team compares to them right now except the Lakers, but even the Lakers don't play defense with the same intensity and commitment as Boston, night-in and night-out.

Obstructed_View
12-02-2008, 01:18 PM
The Celtics play defense the way the Spurs used to, for the entire game, and their offense almost never bogs down because they rarely stand around watching like the Spurs do. It's probably due to a combination of a good game plan, talented vets and energetic young players.

Killakobe81
12-02-2008, 01:23 PM
They are the best ...we are very close 2nd ...Lakers have not played their best yet and have the best record Celts are playing close to their best but have lost 2 games to our one ...
If i had to bet money or my house I would pick the Celts(to win the title) my blood pumps forum blue & gold and wants the Lakers ...to show the Celts whose boss on XMAS but to be honest a loss wouldnt be the worst thing because we have been inconsistent on defense maybe that would wake us up ...

Armando
12-02-2008, 02:53 PM
They are the best ...we are very close 2nd ...Lakers have not played their best yet and have the best record Celts are playing close to their best but have lost 2 games to our one ...
If i had to bet money or my house I would pick the Celts(to win the title) my blood pumps forum blue & gold and wants the Lakers ...to show the Celts whose boss on XMAS but to be honest a loss wouldnt be the worst thing because we have been inconsistent on defense maybe that would wake us up ...

Is just a regular season game. Is not like Boston is going to give LA thier rings if they lose. I predict the teams will split the games this year.

galvatron3000
12-02-2008, 03:36 PM
I expect the Christmas game to have playoff implications and both teams, especially the Lakers will want to prove who's the best on that night. I also expect some players to be mysteriously injured for that game.

sook
12-02-2008, 03:58 PM
The question should be " Why are the lakers so good?"

Look at the point differentiable on their wins.

DPG21920
12-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Both teams are the clear cut best in the league right now (Celtics and Lakers) it will be interesting to see the season series between the two. Right now however, the Lakers look much better and they have not even fully gelled yet.

bostonguy
12-02-2008, 04:12 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao@fans bitching that the Celts grab and hack the crap out of players being the reason why they are a great defensive team. :lmao:lmao man thats some funny shit. Great stuff.

TheMadHatter
12-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Teams fall into the trap of not backing off of Rondo or Pierce enough. IMHO let them both shoot jumpers. I'd rather let BOS beat me by Rondo and Pierce having to make their jumpshots than by them penetrating and drawing fouls and dishing out to Ray Allen for dagger 3's. Easier said than done obviously, but I believe putting a bigger guard on Rondo is the best way to contain him. When the Lakers put Kobe on him in the Finals it completely disrupted their offense at times, Doc had to go small ball to win Game 4.

DPG21920
12-02-2008, 04:28 PM
I think people keep underrating Rondo and Pierce and that is why they keep winning. Plus, their defense is sick.

tlongII
12-02-2008, 04:48 PM
It doesn't matter. By the end of the season the Blazers will be the best team in the league.

The Troll Whisperer
12-02-2008, 04:52 PM
It doesn't matter. By the end of the season the Blazers will be the best team in the league.
tsst!

DPG21920
12-02-2008, 04:57 PM

Do you really believe this? I know rooting for them as fan is one thing, but do you really think this is true?

tlongII
12-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Do you really believe this? I know rooting for them as fan is one thing, but do you really think this is true?

Yes I do.

Spur-Addict
12-02-2008, 05:22 PM

Based on one game they have a 90% chance of winning IF they make it to the finals and the Celtics are there? Based on one game? ONE. 1. O-N-E. The first number in all the numbers in the teens. Uno. Un. Eins. واحد. Ένα.

If the Lakers win by twenty I still wouldn't say they will have anything higher than a fifty fifty shot at beating the Celts in the postseason. Things change when you play a team over and over again.

DPG21920
12-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Yes I do.

So if they do not finish as the one seed what will you say? You were completely wrong?

Solid D
12-02-2008, 06:21 PM
tsst!
http://en.epochtimes.com/news_images/2006-12-9-cesarmillan.jpg

:lmao

Great name and sig

Supergirl
12-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Celtics have actually slipped a lot so far this season - their d is not as good as it was at the end of last year. So the fact that they're playing half-assed and still winning most of their games should scare anyone. They're going to be A LOT tougher come next May/June.

The Lakers have played virtually their best possible, with all relevant parts healthy, with almost perfect results. But it seems unlikely they will be able to stay as healthy as they've been and it seems unlikely they won't go through some sort of drama before the season is through. So I think they're in for some bumps which may make or break them.

Obstructed_View
12-02-2008, 06:41 PM
:lmao

Great name and sig

+1. I'm still snickering at that. That's some funny shit.

barbacoataco
12-02-2008, 07:18 PM
The Celtics have the best team defense. In the Finals last year they showed that. For whatever reason they really are able to pressure opponents and contest shots. A lot of that just comes down to be committed.

Also, in the Finals last year Paul Pierce outplayed Kobe and I do see him as one of the best players in the NBA. Not sure why some fans don't respect him.

DrHouse
12-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Celtics have actually slipped a lot so far this season - their d is not as good as it was at the end of last year. So the fact that they're playing half-assed and still winning most of their games should scare anyone. They're going to be A LOT tougher come next May/June.

The Lakers have played virtually their best possible, with all relevant parts healthy, with almost perfect results. But it seems unlikely they will be able to stay as healthy as they've been and it seems unlikely they won't go through some sort of drama before the season is through. So I think they're in for some bumps which may make or break them.

I'm sorry sweatheart you must have mixed up your thoughts while typing this post. I can assure you the Lakers are nowhere near playing their best possible basketball. The starting 5 is essentially brand new and they are clearly still going through growing pains on offense and defense. If they stay healthy they will definitely be a better team come May/June than they are now.

The Celtics, OTOH, are unlikely to improve much from where they are. They are the same starting 5, almost the same bench, and all their key players are old and more likely to decline in skill rather than the opposite.

LnGrrrR
12-02-2008, 09:17 PM
I'll take a vbookie bet on my Celts... but I won't lay it all out like the Obama/McCain bet lol.

turiaf for president
12-02-2008, 09:23 PM
holy shiet. i just called my ticket guy today and 300 level seats toward half court line is going for 150 ea....

turiaf for president
12-02-2008, 09:32 PM
wow SD is gonna be happy

LnGrrrR
12-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Woot. Nice to see Lakers take a loss.