PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Mailbox: R.C. Buford

duncan228
12-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Spurs Mailbox: R.C. Buford (http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/buford_mailbox_081202.html)

R.C. Buford recently took time out to answer questions submitted by Spurs E-News (signup now (http://www.nba.com/spurs/enews/signup.html)!) subscribers about what life is like as the General Manager of the San Antonio Spurs.

Question: How hard is it to make decisions regarding who stays and who goes on the Spurs roster? And how do you finalize player transactions as far as trading players and signing them.

R.C. Buford: It’s very difficult and we do it as a group. Both our coaching staff and our scouting staff spend a lot of time working together to determine who fits. It’s a group process, but it’s always very difficult because the difference between the last guy who makes the roster and the guy who doesn’t is normally very thin.

Question: Do you believe that the Spurs will be a "big player" in the free agent market as there will be an array of NBA talent looking for a new home?

R.C. Buford: We’re always looking to take advantage of the opportunities that we have, whether it’s through free agency or the draft, and trying to maximize our resources.

Question: What advice would you give to someone with dreams of being an assistant coach in the NCAA, NAIA, or NJCAA or the NBA?

R.C. Buford: Take every opportunity you have to put yourself in good basketball settings whether it’s camps, clinics or situations where there are going to be people making those hiring decisions that will be able to evaluate your skills.

Question: What rule changes would you like to see implemented with regard to the NBDL?

R.C. Buford: I guess that if there’s anything that I’d like to see changed it’s the limitation of only two years for assignment players.

Question: Would you please update us on the progress of Tiago Splitter, James Gist and Robertas Javtokas?

R.C. Buford: Tiago has had a good start with Tao. He was injured early, but since he’s come back played well. James Gist is on an emerging team with Biella and Robertas has done well so far.

Question: Could you update us on the SEEDS Academy? Has Anne or yourself made any recent trips to Africa?

R.C. Buford: We were both over there in August. The academy continues to grow and provide great opportunities for young men in Senegal to learn both life skills and basketball.

DPG21920
12-02-2008, 04:26 PM
He answers more directly than ChumpDumper

MoSpur
12-02-2008, 04:29 PM
That was kind of whack, but then again, he isn't Mark Cuban

mrspurs
12-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Yeah no joke...couldnt get a feel even if i tried of what his answers were. Oh well. Nice read 228.

jag
12-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Nice guy, great GM, but i can imagine sitting down and having a conversation with him would be extremely awkward.

Dex
12-02-2008, 05:01 PM
"So, R.C, how'd you like that apple?"

"It tasted like fruit."

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Let me see if I can translate this.

Question: How hard is it to make decisions regarding who stays and who goes on the Spurs roster? And how do you finalize player transactions as far as trading players and signing them.

R.C. Buford: It’s very difficult and we do it as a group. Pop and Tim take a look at the players they want to stay and make their decision based on a variety of factors. While they do that I bring them soda and coffee and when they are done they give me a list with the names of the players, which I then type up. Total team effort.

Question: Do you believe that the Spurs will be a "big player" in the free agent market as there will be an array of NBA talent looking for a new home?

R.C. Buford: The Spurs will absolutely impact the free agent market. This team has a long history of free agents saying that we are interested to create leverage against the teams that they really want to sign with. I expect with the cap room we'll have in the 2010 free agent market we'll be able to help guys like Chris Bosh add a few zeroes to their asking price.

Question: What advice would you give to someone with dreams of being an assistant coach in the NCAA, NAIA, or NJCAA or the NBA?

R.C. Buford: Stalk a coach that you'd really like to work for. Eventually they will do something bad and you can take blackmail photos. My big break came when I caught Larry Brown having a little fun in a petting zoo in Oregon after a game against the Blazers. What was really odd was that there was another guy taking pictures, but I have to see him anywhere in the league. Guess he had other plans.

Question: What rule changes would you like to see implemented with regard to the NBDL?

R.C. Buford: I'd like to see the Spurs be able to play against some of the NBDL teams in the regular season instead of the Bucks. I don't know why but we always play like ass against the Bucks.

Question: Would you please update us on the progress of Tiago Splitter, James Gist and Robertas Javtokas?

R.C. Buford: Tiago was injured, which is unfortunate because Pop told me his man in Spain could take him out permanently and make it look like an accident. Seems I'm not the only one that misjudges talent in Europe lately. As for James Gist our scouts are saying that he's coming along well. From what I've read it seems that he was able to count to infinity. Twice. That kind of dedication is what we want in a Spurs player. I'm not sure about Javtokas. We got a box score from his latest game but it was all Greek to me. I'll e-mail a guy who is in the know about these things in Houston. I just hope that Comcast hasn't turned off the service at his parents house yet.

Question: Could you update us on the SEEDS Academy? Has Anne or yourself made any recent trips to Africa?

R.C. Buford: We were both over there in August. It's a great program and there are some great young men here. I'd adopt them all if I weren't stuck behind Madonna and Brangelina on the damn waiting list.

Fermixalot
12-02-2008, 06:05 PM

It was like reading the same thing twice. :lol

As for James Gist our scouts are saying that he's coming along well. From what I've read it seems that he was able to count to infinity. Twice.

:lmao

Rick Von Braun
12-02-2008, 06:11 PM

Good job! :tu :tu

Solid D
12-02-2008, 06:13 PM
That'll teach people to send R.C. mail. His responses are about as satisfying as eating a rice cake.

DPG21920
12-02-2008, 06:14 PM
He learned by watching Pop interviews.

SenorSpur
12-02-2008, 06:28 PM
I wonder why no one asked him about the status of Ian or his plans for Hairston?

DPG21920
12-02-2008, 06:35 PM
I wonder why no one asked him about the status of Ian or his plans for Hairston?

What are your plans for Ian and Hairston?

R.C. - Popovi..I mean we think that Ian and Hairston have potential, we will constantly see how they develop.

Fingaroll44
12-02-2008, 07:17 PM
He learned by watching Pop interviews.

Pop will at least throw in some sarcasm

Fingaroll44
12-02-2008, 07:19 PM
What are your plans for Ian and Hairston?

R.C. - Popovi..I mean we think that Ian and Hairston have potential, we will constantly see how they develop.

TDMVPDPOY
12-02-2008, 07:24 PM
i hope RCS greek translator is not fkn KBP