PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Melt Down Against Motown

duncan228
12-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Updated.

Spurs melt down against Motown (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_melt_down_against_Motown.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Sometimes, it takes a dissertation to discuss the outcome of a given NBA game. There are so many nuances to each nightly chess match, so many ifs and thens, one could spend, say, an entire charter flight to Denver dissecting what happened and why.

On Tuesday night, it took Spurs coach Gregg Popovich exactly 60 seconds to sum up his team’s 89-77 loss to Detroit at the AT&T Center.

In a post-game Q&A media session that was all ‘A’ and no ‘Q,’ Popovich challenged his team’s effort, intensity and — in not so many words — its manhood.

“I thought tonight we played very poorly, very unwisely,” the soliloquy began. “We have to have more people play well. There are too many people playing poorly at this point.”

“The most disturbing thing is I think we were very soft,” Popovich said. “I think Detroit intimidated us. I think they ran us all over the court with their aggressiveness and physicality.

“It was really sad to watch, in that respect. I thought we totally folded to their aggressive play. Thus, the loss.”

Popovich took no questions afterward, figuring all answers to be self-evident.

As far as postgame news conferences go, it wasn’t much. Then again, it was more than Popovich said to his team.

After watching the Pistons manhandle the Spurs down the stretch, outscoring them 28-14 in the fourth quarter, Popovich’s entire postgame speech consisted of an announcement: The plane for Thursday’s game at Denver leaves at 3 o’clock.

“He didn’t say anything else,” Manu Ginobili said. “But (his message) was easy to detect.”

Rasheed Wallace had 19 points, including three fourth-quarter 3-pointers, and Allen Iverson added 19 more, as the Pistons did everything but pull the Spurs’ collective Jockeys over their collective head.

Detroit blitzed the Spurs into 17 turnovers, including six in the fourth quarter for 10 points.

On a night in which the Spurs’ Big Three reunited in the starting lineup for the first time this season, with Ginobili joining Tim Duncan and Tony Parker in the first five, they still managed to match a season scoring low.

Duncan had 23 points and grabbed 13 rebounds for the Spurs, but was limited to just five points after halftime. Parker had 18 points on 6-of-14 shooting, while Ginobili labored through a 13-point, 4-of-11 night.

It was the second consecutive loss for the Spurs (9-8), coming on the heels of a 103-84 faceplant Saturday at Houston.

“It was disappointing because we didn’t have the effort,” guard Roger Mason Jr. said. “We didn’t have the intensity that we needed to compete at the NBA level.”

In the first half, the Spurs were content to ride Duncan. Nothing the Pistons threw at him seemed to work.

They tried Wallace. They tried Jason Maxiell. In the dictionary definition of “overmatched,” they tried Kwame Brown.

By half, Duncan had 18 points, and the Spurs were ahead 45-40, and twice went up by 10 points in the third quarter. Ahead by two points entering the fourth, the Spurs commenced a spectacular self-destruction.

Ginobili airballed a step-back 16-footer. Fabricio Oberto botched a layup. Matt Bonner threw the ball to Arron Affalo. Parker took off on a wild drive, only to have his shot rudely returned by Affalo.

Duncan, after a 7-of-11 first half, was only 2 of 8 in the second, after Wallace became interested in defending him.

When Wallace swished a 3-pointer with 8:03 to go, it put the Pistons ahead 68-66 — their first lead since the second quarter.

Still, the Spurs’ meltdown wasn’t complete.

By the time Wallace dropped in his next 3-pointer, with 3:01 to go, it put Detroit ahead by 11.

“Some nights we’re out there (messing around),” Wallace said, “and some nights we bring it.”

In the second half Tuesday, the Pistons brought it. The Spurs, much to the dismay of their head coach, wilted.

To explain why, Popovich needed just 60 seconds.

Blackjack
12-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Spurs melt down against Motown

Pretty much sums it up.

DPG21920
12-02-2008, 11:54 PM
he forgot the word talk after spurs

Blackjack
12-03-2008, 12:00 AM
he forgot the word talk after spurs

Spurs Talk Melts Down, After Spurs Melt Down Against Motown
FIFY
:toast

GSH
12-03-2008, 12:02 AM
I think it's safe to say that the Spurs aren't playing hard for 48 minutes. Like on the first play in the Houston game, where Fab made that weak-assed pass and let it get picked off for a layup. It's like they think that there are certain times and places on the court where you get to coast. Our guys just don't look hungry... and we've faced teams who do.

I know Pop is tinkering with lineups right now, and that will have some effect on outcomes. But any lineup he puts on the floor is going to need more intensity than this. If we are in danger of missing the playoffs with 10 games left to play, you will see guys playing with a sense of urgency. They need to start playing like that now.

GOBLUEADAM
12-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Guys, as lover of the Spurs from Motown, here's what I see. YOU HAVE NO BENCH! As Charles Barkley would say " you just got a bunch of guys in Spurs jerseys, standing around, waiting for three superstars, to shoot the ball". And you guys shoot WAY TOO MANY 3's! The Pistons bench came in and made your bench look like the YMCA all stars.
Our bench came in, shut everybody off, closed the door on the gym, and attacked the rim. If Duncan, Manu, and Parker aren't setting up the other guys for wide open shots, NONE OF THEM CAN CREATE THEIR OWN SHOTS! And if Parker and Manu aren't shooting 3's or driving to the rack, and option number one, Tim Duncan isn't doing his usual A1 job, WHAT DO YOU HAVE! But the 3 point game, and not driving to the hole, is killing you right now! Play fundamental ball, and you'll be where you want to at the right time! But watch out for PORTLAND! See you at the Palace for the rematch, and have a great rest of the season! And it's a great day, THE LA FAKERS LOST!

DPG21920
12-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Guys, as lover of the Spurs from Motown, here's what I see. YOU HAVE NO BENCH! As Charles Barkley would say " you just got a bunch of guys in Spurs jerseys, standing around, waiting for three superstars, to shoot the ball". And you guys shoot WAY TOO MANY 3's! The Pistons bench came in and made your bench look like the YMCA all stars.
Our bench came in, shut everybody off, closed the door on the gym, and attacked the rim. If Duncan, Manu, and Parker aren't setting up the other guys for wide open shots, NONE OF THEM CAN CREATE THEIR OWN SHOTS! And if Parker and Manu aren't shooting 3's or driving to the rack, and option number one, Tim Duncan isn't doing his usual A1 job, WHAT DO YOU HAVE! But the 3 point game, and not driving to the hole, is killing you right now! Play fundamental ball, and you'll be where you want to at the right time! But watch out for PORTLAND! See you at the Palace for the rematch, and have a great rest of the season! And it's a great day, THE LA FAKERS LOST!

So how did the Spurs win games without Manu or Tony playing?

GOBLUEADAM
12-03-2008, 12:21 AM
DPG21920, nobody said you were Oklahoma City!(put the W on the schedule now) You have a team, that can still make it to the top. You will be where you want to be in the end. Hey, we still have ourselves, Boston, Cleveland, and David Stern's favorite picked team to deal with over in the East. But your Big 3 are far better than most team's FIVE! But four guys standing behind the arch chucking up 3's, don't usually get it done. Just ask the Suns and Mavericks.

SpurSupremacist
12-03-2008, 12:45 AM
So how did the Spurs win games without Manu or Tony playing?

The new big 3. Tim Duncan, George Hill and Matt Bonner. Only joking. Sort of.

Sean Cagney
12-03-2008, 12:56 AM
DPG21920, nobody said you were Oklahoma City!(put the W on the schedule now) You have a team, that can still make it to the top. You will be where you want to be in the end. Hey, we still have ourselves, Boston, Cleveland, and David Stern's favorite picked team to deal with over in the East. But your Big 3 are far better than most team's FIVE! But four guys standing behind the arch chucking up 3's, don't usually get it done. Just ask the Suns and Mavericks.
Spurs know that, and thats how they won their titles. Threes are okay, but you need slashers and inside game like they had in 03-05 ton win it all, until they got slashers like Manu and Tony to help out Tim they were dead in the water come late in the game with those threes and long jumpshots, that there killed the SPURS before and does now it seems again at times. Manu and Tony will get better and the team will grow, but as of right now it's a mess and nobody knowing their roles yet.

tomtom
12-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Looks real shaky but I think it's like it came out of nowhere. I knew something like this might happen but I'm sure they'll figure things out. Once they get Manu and Tony back and integrated with the team I'm sure all will be fine. They just gotta learn how to play with this new team they got.

itzsoweezee
12-03-2008, 01:02 AM
was Kurt Thomas injured? why didn't he get any PT? I thought he'd been playing pretty well lately.

SenorSpur
12-03-2008, 01:04 AM
This was a total dismantling of the Spurs, by a team that was more committed defensively, had a vastly superior bench and one that played very well together offensively. I didn't think it were possible with AI on the team and I still have my doubts about how that experiment will work out.

In the meantime, I like what Joe Dumars has done in developing his bench. The Pistons are reaping the benefits of having cultivated their bench, with as many as 4-5 players having gotten significant PT during last regular season. All the while the team was in contention for the Eastern Conference title. Proving that it is indeed possible to reload on the fly.

wisnub
12-03-2008, 01:06 AM
Manu and Tony still got the rust and the team is accustomed to George and Mason combo guard. I am surprised to see Tony and Manu didnt come from bench after last game...idea of twinking up rotation by pop in middle of regular season is definitely not a way to go..they should done this in preseason and practice instead..

Once Tony and Manu got their game back they should be alright. Question is, can they assimilate with George and Mason? I feel sorry for Boner,nobody is believing on him..and he keep sucking as well

1usamotorsports.com
12-03-2008, 01:41 AM
Manu SUCKS! PArker is good , mason is sICk , duncan is Consistant , bOnner is Underrated, Hill is A TIme Bomb.

crc21209
12-03-2008, 01:43 AM
Actually we do have a bench but Pop fucked the rotations up royally. Our bench is fine with Hill, Mason or Manu (depending on who starts), Finley or Bowen (depending on who starts) and Kurt Thomas.

1usamotorsports.com
12-03-2008, 01:47 AM
Oh , Missed a few , Finnly is Streaky , Bowen/udoka are Insecure , fab is fab, Thomas IS just going along for the Ride, and vaugn is a JOke.

SenorSpur
12-03-2008, 02:08 AM
Beno's ass got permanently exhiled to the doghouse for wilting under the Pistons defensive pressure in '05. I wonder what the repurcussions will be from the entire team wilting in the same fashion last night.